From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Jump List
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 07:45:46 -0400
 by: knuttle - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 11:45 UTC

I was just reading the thread on Firefox remembering history.

The jumplist are one of the things I consider a strong feature of
Windows.

With Jumplist turned on every short cut to executable Icon shortcut
remembers the recent history of it use. This works on the tool bar or
in the start menu.

I said I consider it a feature, as it give me instant access to many
more files. If I am working on a file in the word processor and have to
leave. When I return, and right click, I have instant access to to it,
and many more recent documents I have worked on. The Windows Notepad
icon. I use the notepad for note taking. When I need a note right
click and it is there. Works nicely for the image processing programs.

It is much easier that reviewing a dozen file icons in a folder.

Re: Jump List

<1u2mvnfziss61.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73800&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73800

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Jump List
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 12:06:13 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 17:06 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was just reading the thread on Firefox remembering history. The
> jumplist are one of the things I consider a strong feature of
> Windows. With Jumplist turned on every short cut to executable Icon
> shortcut remembers the recent history of it use. This works on the
> tool bar or in the start menu.
>
> I said I consider it a feature, as it give me instant access to many
> more files. If I am working on a file in the word processor and have
> to leave. When I return, and right click, I have instant access to
> to it, and many more recent documents I have worked on. The Windows
> Notepad icon. I use the notepad for note taking. When I need a note
> right click and it is there. Works nicely for the image processing
> programs. It is much easier that reviewing a dozen file icons in a
> folder.

Many programs have their own recent list feature, like Word, but some
don't, like Notepad. Jump lists compensate for those that don't, but
duplicate the feature for those that do.

Was there a question, like maybe you wanted to enlarge the jump list?
If so, and rather than hunt for online articles on how to change, I use
WinAero Tweaker to do a lot of that stuff. Search on "jump" in Winaero,
and you find the option to change the number of items in jump (recent)
list. Mine is set at 12 which is probably the default. Just be careful
with tweakers as often they offer changes that sound great, but you find
you don't really want them.

If you don't want jump (recent) lists, there are online article on how
to disable, like:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/clear-windows-10-jump-lists/

Some folks consider jump lists a privacy issue in that what docs you had
opened is exposed in a list. Those folks usually also find out how to
disable the recent files feature within programs. I don't share my
computer, would dole out separate Windows accounts if I did, and only
burglars would have physical access to my computer. It's one of a few
convenience features that I leave enabled in Windows.

Sounds like you want jump lists, but perhaps you want to occasionally
clear them. I use CCleaner, and it has an option to clear jump lists.
The option is under the File Explorer settings in CCleaner.

Re: Jump List

<uf71id$ckp9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73802&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73802

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 13:29:48 -0400
 by: knuttle - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 17:29 UTC

On 09/29/2023 1:06 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Many programs have their own recent list feature, like Word, but some
> don't, like Notepad.
Notepad does have a Jumplist. I use it all of the time. I have the
Notepad icon in the Start menu. As I said I use Notepad as a reminder
note system. When I want a particular note, I open Start, right click
on the Notepad icon and select the note I need.

You can pin a file to a Jumplist, by highlighting the file in the
Jumplist and clicking the Pin icon at its right.

The easiest way to manage the Jumplist is to Right click on the tool bar
and select Taskbar Settings. This opens the Personalization Setting.
Click Start and to activate the Jumplist click "Show recently opened
...................."

You can delete all of the items in the Jumplist, except those you have
pinned by unclicking "Show recently opened ..................." . When
the slider icon shows it to be off, click it again to reactive the
Jumplist collections.

There is no need to go into the registry to manage the Jumplist.

Re: Jump List

<i2s2derzxskk.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73808&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73808

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 17:08:12 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 22:08 UTC

knuttle <keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Many programs have their own recent list feature, like Word, but some
>> don't, like Notepad.
>
> Notepad does have a Jumplist.

The jump lists are NOT the same as in-program recent files lists. The
recent files list in a program is maintained by the program. The jump
lists are maintained by File Explorer: the program issues a file open,
and the OS records that in File Explorer's jump list for that program.
Jump lists are a function of File Explorer, just like File Explorer is
also the desktop GUI manager. File Manager has multiple duties.

File Explorer maintains the jump list for Notepad. Notepad itself does
not provide its own recent files list.

While jump lists look like an equivalent to in-program recent files
lists, they are not managed by the same process, so they are separately
managed.

> There is no need to go into the registry to manage the Jumplist.

You do it you want to change how many items are store in the jump lists.
I mentioned the registry setting for the *count* of items that can be
listed in jump lists. When viewing a jump list, have you ever seen more
than 12 items in that list? If so, look at the registry setting to see
if the max threshold got increased.