The best way to accelerate a Macintoy is at 9.8 meters per second per second.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Apple support "was" the worst in the industry - but maybe no more in the future?

SubjectAuthor
* Apple support "was" the worst in the industry - but maybe no more in the future?Wally J
+* Re: Apple support "was" the worst in the industry - but maybe no more in the futNewyana2
|`- Re: Apple support "was" the worst in the industry - but maybe no more in the futFrankie
`* Re: Apple support "was" the worst in the industry - but maybe no more in the futFrankie
 `- Re: Apple support "was" the worst in the industry - but maybe no more in the futQuellen

1
Apple support "was" the worst in the industry - but maybe no more in the future?

<ufa9jt$15tgu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73828&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73828

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Apple support "was" the worst in the industry - but maybe no more in the future?
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 19:05:34 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 23:05 UTC

Apple support has always been the worst in the industry.
<https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/apple-clarifies-security-update-policy-only-the-latest-oses-are-fully-patched/>
<https://hothardware.com/news/apple-admits-only-fully-patches-security-flaws-in-latest-os-releases>
<https://screenrant.com/apple-product-security-update-lifespan/>

But maybe no more based on this new development today...
*No more free Windows 10 upgrades*
<https://www.zdnet.com/article/its-official-no-more-free-windows-10-upgrades/>

"The party's over. After seven years of looking the other way,
Microsoft has finally announced that it's closing the loophole
that allowed PCs running Windows 7 and Windows 8.x to upgrade for free."

Up until now, Windows full hotfix support was 12 years, and then 10 years,
and then 10 years again (all of which was via free upgrades), which means
that many of us have had full hotfix support for Windows of about 25 years.
<https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/>

Per machine!
"If you had a PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1,
you could upgrade to Windows 10 for free."

Compare that to the atrociously short Apple support where Apple only fully
supports one release at a time (Windows fully supports more than one!) and
where the only release that has full support is only the latest release.
*Distinguishing software updates from upgrades*
<https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/about-software-updates-depc4c80847a/>

At this point, if your iPhone is anything older than an XR, it will not be
supported by Apple and since iOS has the most exploits, is likely already
exploited since Apple products have ten time the _active exploits_ too.
<https://www.cisa.gov/known-exploited-vulnerabilities-catalog>

Part of the reason Apple products have the most zero-day holes and ten
times the number of exploited vulnerabilities that Apple was told about is
due to the fact only Apple releases the release as a primitive monolith.

This has improved only recently, to Apple's credit, in iOS 16 & iOS 17.
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201224>

Before these RSR patches were introduced, Apple had no mechanism for fixing
a bug - they had to build and ship an entire release - which gave the
malware actors plenty of time to exploit - which is why Apple operating
systems are the most exploited (fully ten times more than other OSs are).

Re: Apple support "was" the worst in the industry - but maybe no more in the future?

<ufbnrr$1i6mo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73833&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73833

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 08:14:50 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:14 UTC

"Wally J" <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote

| Apple support has always been the worst in the industry.

So with a few unrelated facts and a lot of creative
thinking you think you can paint Apple as a good company?
Perhaps you have buyer's remorse after spending $2K
for a cellphone with 18 cameras?

I deleted the Apple groups. There's no reason to be
crossposting between Windows and Mac except to start
arguments.

Re: Apple support "was" the worst in the industry - but maybe no more in the future?

<ufc5n3$20lf$1@neodome.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73836&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73836

From: fran...@nospam.usa (Frankie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 00:11:16 +0800
 by: Frankie - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 16:11 UTC

On Sun, 1 Oct 2023 08:14:50 -0400, Newyana2 wrote:

>| Apple support has always been the worst in the industry.
>
> So with a few unrelated facts and a lot of creative
> thinking you think you can paint Apple as a good company?
> Perhaps you have buyer's remorse after spending $2K
> for a cellphone with 18 cameras?
>
> I deleted the Apple groups. There's no reason to be
> crossposting between Windows and Mac except to start
> arguments.

I'm with Mayayana in that Apple's nut jobs always say that they have the
best support but Android is supported forever nowadays and Windows is
supported almost as long (longer in some ways, shorter in others).

Both are hotfix supported for ten to twenty five years in effect.

Android does that full forever support using Project Treble (Qualcomm
drivers) and using Project Mainline (which Google marketing changed the
name of to 'Google Play system update' - note their case which matters as
there are multiple Google Play "system" packages).

While Project Mainline started with less than a dozen core modules updated
in Android 10, it has almost taken over the entire Android operating system
(it has expanded to 37 core modules in Android 14 for example), all of
which are donated to the AOSP so even if, after ten or twenty years, Google
stopped updating billions of Android phones monthly - the AOSP community
can pick it up after that.

This means Android & Windows get ten, fifteen, twenty and even twenty five
years of future full hotfix support while the best Apple can do is a single
release (Apple has never supported more than one release at a time ever!).

Lots of references to back up my agreement above with Mayayana.......

Android.
https://www.androidcentral.com/android-12-features-we-love-android-runtime-now-part-project-mainline
https://www.xda-developers.com/android-project-mainline-modules-explanation/
https://www.hexnode.com/blogs/android-project-mainline-everything-you-need-to-know/
https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/05/here-comes-treble-modular-base-for.html
https://www.xda-developers.com/tag/project-treble/
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/google-hopes-to-fix-android-updates-no-really-with-project-treble/

Apple.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/apple-clarifies-security-update-policy-only-the-latest-oses-are-fully-patched/
https://hothardware.com/news/apple-admits-only-fully-patches-security-flaws-in-latest-os-releases
https://screenrant.com/apple-product-security-update-lifespan/
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201224
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

Re: Apple support "was" the worst in the industry - but maybe no more in the future?

<ufkcrr$1578$1@neodome.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73874&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73874

From: fran...@nospam.usa (Frankie)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 22:02:20 +0300
 by: Frankie - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 19:02 UTC

On 1/10/2023, Wally J wrote:
Windows support is the best but Android is catching up in that Google
copied Microsoft's successful over-the-internet update of all devices on
the Internet every month. That's a good thing to copy Windows support.

The result of copying what Microsoft did years ago is that all Android 10
and up phones have their security updated monthly - but the updates - like
many Windows updates - only happen during reboot so you need to reboot your
Android 10+ phone once a month to get these latest monthly Mainline
security patches.

As with the Microsoft method that Google successfully copied, these Google
monthly Mainline security update hotfix patches are being uploaded to all
Android's of all makes & models that have Android 10 and up on them.

You can't turn it off.

Google is updating the security and functionality on billions of Android
10+ phones every month that way and Google says they will never stop.

Re: Apple support "was" the worst in the industry - but maybe no more in the future?

<ufkjgs$gnj7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=73881&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#73881

From: quellenn...@gmx.com (Quellen)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:55:57 +0100
 by: Quellen - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 20:55 UTC

On 4 Oct 2023 at 8:02:20 PM, Frankie <frankie@nospam.usa> wrote:

> Google is updating the security and functionality on billions of Android
> 10+ phones every month that way and Google says they will never stop.

In addition to updating all Android phones monthly for security updates to
the mainline modules, Google announced just today that there will be an
additional 7 years of monthly Pixel carrier software security support.
--
Cheers, Quellen