From: rek...@hispagatos.org.invalid (rek2 hispagatos)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: client like slrn but more modern?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 01:46:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rek2 hispagatos - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 01:46 UTC

Hello I been using slrn I try to use everything on TUI/CLI tools and
slrn is ok, but lacks a lot of features I will like, as in color theme
and VIM keys by default.
Any software out there with colors/vim keys for the terminal/tui?

--
gemini://hispagatos.org
gemini://rek2.hispagatos.org

Re: client like slrn but more modern?

<20220428012722.0362beb9@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=740&group=news.software.nntp#740

From: sys...@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: client like slrn but more modern?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 01:27:22 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 06:27 UTC

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 01:46:14 -0000 (UTC)
rek2 hispagatos <rek2@hispagatos.org.invalid> wrote:

> Hello I been using slrn I try to use everything on TUI/CLI tools and
> slrn is ok, but lacks a lot of features I will like, as in color theme
> and VIM keys by default.
> Any software out there with colors/vim keys for the terminal/tui?

You could always use tin which does use vim as the editor, if that's
your default editor of course.

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: client like slrn but more modern?

<slrnt6kf3s.tbj.h_hucke+spam.news@romulus.aeon.icebear.cloud>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=741&group=news.software.nntp#741

From: h_hucke+...@newsmail.aeon.icebear.org (Henning Hucke)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:04:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henning Hucke - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:04 UTC

On 2022-04-28, rek2 hispagatos <rek2@hispagatos.org.invalid> wrote:

Hi nameless poster,

> Hello I been using slrn I try to use everything on TUI/CLI tools and
> slrn is ok, but lacks a lot of features I will like, as in color theme
> and VIM keys by default.
> Any software out there with colors/vim keys for the terminal/tui?

slrn uses colors - at least my one does. If yours doesn't use color then
RTFD (read the fucking documentation) and configure your prefered color
bay yourself. Same applies to the used key settings.

Best regards
Henning
--
In theory there is no difference between theory and practise.
In practise there is.

Re: client like slrn but more modern?

<t4ejg0$506$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=742&group=news.software.nntp#742

From: rek...@hispagatos.org.invalid (rek2 hispagatos)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:39:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rek2 hispagatos - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 17:39 UTC

Sorry I did not explain my self,
SRLN does use vim as the editor but to navigate arround it does not use
VIM keys
Colors: you can change some colors but there is no background
transparency as far as I can tell.

--
gemini://hispagatos.org
gemini://rek2.hispagatos.org
https://hispagatos.org
https://hispagatos.space/@rek2

Re: client like slrn but more modern?

<slrnt6lqic.pmn.h_hucke+spam.news@romulus.aeon.icebear.cloud>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=744&group=news.software.nntp#744

From: h_hucke+...@newsmail.aeon.icebear.org (Henning Hucke)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:26:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Henning Hucke - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:26 UTC

On 2022-04-28, rek2 hispagatos <rek2@hispagatos.org.invalid> wrote:

> Sorry I did not explain my self,
> SRLN does use vim as the editor but to navigate arround it does not use
> VIM keys
> Colors: you can change some colors but there is no background
> transparency as far as I can tell.
> [... full quote deleted ...]

You can also redefine a lot of key combinations. I'm not shure that you
can exactly copy key combinations which are semantically the same as
with vim but you can at least redefine them as shurely also come as
close to vim as possible.

Whats the point with "background transparency"? Honestly I don't know
_any_ ansi graphics reader which knows more than "background color".

Regards,
Henning
--
If you think technology can solve your problems you don't understand
technology and you don't understand your problems. (Bruce Schneier)

Re: client like slrn but more modern?

<0NLaK.5418$Za8b.273@fx44.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=746&group=news.software.nntp#746

Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
From: ema...@example.com (meff)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 06:42:04 GMT
 by: meff - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 06:42 UTC

On 2022-04-28, rek2 hispagatos <rek2@hispagatos.org.invalid> wrote:
> Sorry I did not explain my self,
> SRLN does use vim as the editor but to navigate arround it does not use
> VIM keys

slrn is pretty configurable and you can pretty much set any key to
mean anything. It has its esoteric Slang which lets you extend slrn a
lot. As far as writing posts or follow-ups, as others have said,
$EDITOR is all you need set.

> Colors: you can change some colors but there is no background
> transparency as far as I can tell.

My default slrn installs have color. I'd be happy to share my color
configs if you'd like. As far as background transparency, my
suggestion would be to just use your terminal emulator to make the
background transparent. slrn's "background" is just the absence of
color or text.

FWIW I've thought about writing a more "modern" newsreader too. I'll
admit I found slrn pretty rough in the beginning, but once I got the
key shortcuts down, its low latency and no-nonsense navigation wormed
it into my heart. There's still lots of room for improvement here.