From: lars.s...@nocrew.org (Lars Brinkhoff)
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp10
Subject: Recently unearthed: ELISP and ECL
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 19:59:50 +0000
 by: Lars Brinkhoff - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 19:59 UTC

Andreas Johansson, previously with the University of Linköping,
contacted me about some tapes that were preserved from their DEC-20s.

Some interesting finds I don't see anywhere else are ELISP from Rugters,
and ECL from Harvard.

https://github.com/PDP-10/rutgers-elisp
https://github.com/PDP-10/harvard-ecl

Re: Recently unearthed: ELISP and ECL

<mddzgfpjhsa.fsf@panix5.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=742&group=alt.sys.pdp10#742

From: new...@alderson.users.panix.com (Rich Alderson)
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp10
Subject: Re: Recently unearthed: ELISP and ECL
Date: 27 Aug 2022 21:09:09 -0400
Sender: alderson+news@panix5.panix.com
 by: Rich Alderson - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 01:09 UTC

Lars Brinkhoff <lars.spam@nocrew.org> writes:

> Andreas Johansson, previously with the University of Linköping,
> contacted me about some tapes that were preserved from their DEC-20s.

> Some interesting finds I don't see anywhere else are ELISP from Rugters,
> and ECL from Harvard.

> https://github.com/PDP-10/rutgers-elisp
> https://github.com/PDP-10/harvard-ecl

Oooh. ELisp was Charles Hedrick's project at Rutgers, and formed the baiss of
TOPS-20 Common Lisp (a never released product from Digital). Back when we
were first building what became the museum[1], I got in touch with Charlie to
ask about tapes, but he sadly told me nothing was left there.

I think I remember some ECL programs in Paul Allen's files, alongside the
preliminary Altair BASIC sources. ECL? Or CLU? Probably ECL...

--
Rich Alderson news@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,

Re: Recently unearthed: ELISP and ECL

<7wh71wfw8t.fsf@junk.nocrew.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=743&group=alt.sys.pdp10#743

From: lars.s...@nocrew.org (Lars Brinkhoff)
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp10
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 11:22:42 +0000
 by: Lars Brinkhoff - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 11:22 UTC

Rich Alderson wrote:
> Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
>> Andreas Johansson, previously with the University of Linköping,
>> contacted me about some tapes that were preserved from their DEC-20s.
>
> Oooh. ELisp was Charles Hedrick's project at Rutgers, and formed the
> [basis] of TOPS-20 Common Lisp (a never released product from Digital).

Interestingly, Rutgers TOPS-20 Common Lisp was preserved at *another*
Swedish university. Uppsala and Linköping were hotbeds of Lisp
activity. The former had CADR machines installed by Greenblatt, the
latter had Xerox machines.

> I think I remember some ECL programs in Paul Allen's files, alongside
> the preliminary Altair BASIC sources. ECL? Or CLU? Probably ECL...

Maybe I never posted the news here, but a few scraps of PDP-10 CLU was
found on MIT backup tapes. Luckily there was a working compiler and
runtime; enough to compile a "hello world". Here's a demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PF9jbzncgM

I haven't tested ECL though... any takers?