"Don't fear the pen. When in doubt, draw a pretty picture." -- Baker's Third Law of Design.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?

SubjectAuthor
* Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?Larry Wolff
+* Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera forknuttle
|`* Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?JJ
| `* Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?Larry Wolff
|  `- Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?Bradley
+* Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera forT
|`* Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?Frankie
| `* Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?Peter
|  `- Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera forT
+- Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera forNic
`- Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?JJ

1
Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?

<ugjvuh$eh4$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74362&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74362

From: larrywo...@larrywolff.net (Larry Wolff)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 03:38:08 +0900
 by: Larry Wolff - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 18:38 UTC

Is anyone on this newsgroup using a privacy web browser?
Have you seen them blocked en masse by cloudflare lately?

Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?

I've been using both Epic Privacy Browser and Opera VPN Browser for years,
but in the past month or two they've been almost useless due to cloudflare
blockages and the like. Even google & duckduckgo searches were blocked.

The Epic browser reassuringly gave us a message for weeks telling us that
they were working with cloudflare people but the latest version only got
slightly better than horrible but nowhere near where it was prior.

Opera is slightly better than is Epic but still cloudflared blocked a lot.

Both used to be usable.
Now neither is usable.
And Tor is too locked down, so Brave won't be helpful.

Is there another Windows VPN proxy privacy browser I don't know about yet?

Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?

<ugk3gg$1lr1f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74365&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74365

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for
Windows?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:38:54 -0400
 by: knuttle - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 19:38 UTC

On 10/16/2023 2:38 PM, Larry Wolff wrote:
> Is anyone on this newsgroup using a privacy web browser?
> Have you seen them blocked en masse by cloudflare lately?
>
> Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?
>
> I've been using both Epic Privacy Browser and Opera VPN Browser for years,
> but in the past month or two they've been almost useless due to cloudflare
> blockages and the like. Even google & duckduckgo searches were blocked.
>
> The Epic browser reassuringly gave us a message for weeks telling us that
> they were working with cloudflare people but the latest version only got
> slightly better than horrible but nowhere near where it was prior.
>
> Opera is slightly better than is Epic but still cloudflared blocked a lot.
>
> Both used to be usable.
> Now neither is usable.
> And Tor is too locked down, so Brave won't be helpful.
>
> Is there another Windows VPN proxy privacy browser I don't know about yet?
I have never used it but I believe that Mozilla offers a VPN, I thing
with Firefox.

Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?

<ugk8gc$2eoel$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74367&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74367

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.freeware
Windows?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 14:04:12 -0700
 by: T - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 21:04 UTC

On 10/16/23 11:38, Larry Wolff wrote:
> Is anyone on this newsgroup using a privacy web browser?
> Have you seen them blocked en masse by cloudflare lately?
>
> Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?
>
> I've been using both Epic Privacy Browser and Opera VPN Browser for years,
> but in the past month or two they've been almost useless due to cloudflare
> blockages and the like. Even google & duckduckgo searches were blocked.
>
> The Epic browser reassuringly gave us a message for weeks telling us that
> they were working with cloudflare people but the latest version only got
> slightly better than horrible but nowhere near where it was prior.
>
> Opera is slightly better than is Epic but still cloudflared blocked a lot.
>
> Both used to be usable.
> Now neither is usable.
> And Tor is too locked down, so Brave won't be helpful.
>
> Is there another Windows VPN proxy privacy browser I don't know about yet?

Brave Browser with TOR in private mode.

Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?

<DIhXM.69626$tnmf.11447@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74368&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74368

Windows?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.freeware
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:14:11 -0400
 by: Nic - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 21:14 UTC

On 10/16/23 2:38 PM, Larry Wolff wrote:
> Is anyone on this newsgroup using a privacy web browser?
> Have you seen them blocked en masse by cloudflare lately?
>
> Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?
>
> I've been using both Epic Privacy Browser and Opera VPN Browser for years,
> but in the past month or two they've been almost useless due to cloudflare
> blockages and the like. Even google & duckduckgo searches were blocked.
>
> The Epic browser reassuringly gave us a message for weeks telling us that
> they were working with cloudflare people but the latest version only got
> slightly better than horrible but nowhere near where it was prior.
>
> Opera is slightly better than is Epic but still cloudflared blocked a lot.
>
> Both used to be usable.
> Now neither is usable.
> And Tor is too locked down, so Brave won't be helpful.
>
> Is there another Windows VPN proxy privacy browser I don't know about yet?
It seems that if you have a good vpn, then you can use any browser with
privacy.

Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?

<1cx3amg1skz$.1jiwt1ky88szs$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74369&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74369

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 04:24:25 +0700
 by: JJ - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 21:24 UTC

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:38:54 -0400, knuttle wrote:
> I have never used it but I believe that Mozilla offers a VPN, I thing
> with Firefox.

Mozilla VPN is not free unfortunately.

Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?

<171w9wzjtpb9k.1nw9gn3z3ag2n.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74370&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74370

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 04:24:27 +0700
 by: JJ - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 21:24 UTC

On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 03:38:08 +0900, Larry Wolff wrote:
> Is anyone on this newsgroup using a privacy web browser?
> Have you seen them blocked en masse by cloudflare lately?
>
> Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?
>
> I've been using both Epic Privacy Browser and Opera VPN Browser for years,
> but in the past month or two they've been almost useless due to cloudflare
> blockages and the like. Even google & duckduckgo searches were blocked.
>
> The Epic browser reassuringly gave us a message for weeks telling us that
> they were working with cloudflare people but the latest version only got
> slightly better than horrible but nowhere near where it was prior.
>
> Opera is slightly better than is Epic but still cloudflared blocked a lot.
>
> Both used to be usable.
> Now neither is usable.
> And Tor is too locked down, so Brave won't be helpful.
>
> Is there another Windows VPN proxy privacy browser I don't know about yet?

I don't think there's any other browser+proxy bundle which is free and don't
need user registration.

Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?

<ugkhoo$1rk4$1@neodome.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74372&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74372

From: fran...@nospam.usa (Frankie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 02:42:16 +0300
 by: Frankie - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 23:42 UTC

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 14:04:12 -0700, T wrote:

> On 10/16/23 11:38, Larry Wolff wrote:
>> Is anyone on this newsgroup using a privacy web browser?
>> Have you seen them blocked en masse by cloudflare lately?
>>
>> Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?
>>
>> I've been using both Epic Privacy Browser and Opera VPN Browser for years,
>> but in the past month or two they've been almost useless due to cloudflare
>> blockages and the like. Even google & duckduckgo searches were blocked.
>>
>> The Epic browser reassuringly gave us a message for weeks telling us that
>> they were working with cloudflare people but the latest version only got
>> slightly better than horrible but nowhere near where it was prior.
>>
>> Opera is slightly better than is Epic but still cloudflared blocked a lot.
>>
>> Both used to be usable.
>> Now neither is usable.
>> And Tor is too locked down, so Brave won't be helpful.
>>
>> Is there another Windows VPN proxy privacy browser I don't know about yet?
>
> Brave Browser with TOR in private mode.

Tor exit nodes are all known so I don't think Brave will help the op.
But the op mentioned Brave as being "too locked down", whatever that means.

Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?

<ugkk5o$1jln$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74373&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74373

From: larrywo...@larrywolff.net (Larry Wolff)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:23:20 +0900
 by: Larry Wolff - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 00:23 UTC

On 10/17/2023 6:24 AM, JJ wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:38:54 -0400, knuttle wrote:
>> I have never used it but I believe that Mozilla offers a VPN, I thing
>> with Firefox.
>
> Mozilla VPN is not free unfortunately.

Thanks for the Mozilla VPN suggestion which I had not known about prior.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/products/vpn/download/

But looking it up, it's definitely payware, as JJ said it would be.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mozilla-vpn-free

I don't use Firefox browsers all that much now that Chromium has taken over
the world, but when I looked up Mozilla VPN, many free extensions exist.

Anyone have experience with those Firefox freeware "VPN/Proxy Extensions"?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=vpn%20proxy

There are six pages of them, at 12 to a page, for nearly a hundred choices.
Probably they're all just repackaged names for the same proxy. Are they?

Some of the too-many choices for free Firefox VPN extensions were these.

Paladin VPN.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/paladinvpn-unlimited-free-vpn/

Setup VPN.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/setupvpn/

Vee VPN.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/veepn-free-fast-security-vpn/

Hoxx VPN.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hoxx-vpn-proxy/

Touch VPN.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/touch-vpn/

Since there are so many, with the exact same description, am I right in
assuming that they're really all just one company spreading out the choice?

If so, which is that one company that is a reliable free browser proxy?
Mostly I use them only for IP address obfuscation/privacy & anonymity.

Tor works but it's too slow and too restricted and exit nodes are known.

There is also something called "Firefox Proxy" tools, but why are they
needed (given a proxy is just a server that everything goes through)?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/foxyproxy-standard/

Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?

<ugkq2r$2mi68$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74375&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74375

From: confu...@nospam.net (Peter)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 03:04:08 +0100
 by: Peter - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 02:04 UTC

Frankie <frankie@nospam.usa> wrote:
>>> Is there another Windows VPN proxy privacy browser I don't know about yet?
>>
>> Brave Browser with TOR in private mode.
>
> Tor exit nodes are all known so I don't think Brave will help the op.
> But the op mentioned Brave as being "too locked down", whatever that means.

I was intrigued by the topic so I ran a search which found six hundred
pages of a dozen to a page which means there are a lot of free Firefox
VPNs! https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=free%20vpn

With that many free Firefox VPNs to choose from, a 2nd opinion is needed.
I scrolled through a few pages but didn't find any Mozilla had recommended.

Some of those Mozilla Firefox free VPN extensions had only five or ten
users while others had a hundred thousand to five hundred thousand users.

Sorting by "Top rated" brought unrelated but better known extensions such
as "Bit Warden" & "Plant free trees" to the top so there must be some
purposeful data poisoning because neither of them is close to a free vpn.

The OP will need to find someone out there who actually uses the free VPN.

Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?

<ugl0nd$2nsqc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74377&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74377

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.freeware
Windows?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 20:57:33 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 03:57 UTC

On 10/16/23 19:04, Peter wrote:

>>> Brave Browser with TOR in private mode.
>>
>> Tor exit nodes are all known so I don't think Brave will help the op.
>> But the op mentioned Brave as being "too locked down", whatever that means.
>
> I was intrigued by the topic so I ran a search which found six hundred
> pages of a dozen to a page which means there are a lot of free Firefox
> VPNs! https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=free%20vpn
>
> With that many free Firefox VPNs to choose from, a 2nd opinion is needed.
> I scrolled through a few pages but didn't find any Mozilla had recommended.
>
> Some of those Mozilla Firefox free VPN extensions had only five or ten
> users while others had a hundred thousand to five hundred thousand users.
>
> Sorting by "Top rated" brought unrelated but better known extensions such
> as "Bit Warden" & "Plant free trees" to the top so there must be some
> purposeful data poisoning because neither of them is close to a free vpn.
>
> The OP will need to find someone out there who actually uses the free VPN.

Firefox has a plugin for TOR as well.

Re: Is there a vpn privacy browser other than epic & opera for Windows?

<ugl1nj$2o68c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74380&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74380

From: brad...@nospam.com (Bradley)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.freeware
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 00:14:42 -0400
 by: Bradley - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 04:14 UTC

On 10/16/2023 8:23 PM, Larry Wolff wrote:
> Some of the too-many choices for free Firefox VPN extensions were these.
>
> Paladin VPN.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/paladinvpn-unlimited-free-vpn/
>
> Setup VPN.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/setupvpn/
>
> Vee VPN.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/veepn-free-fast-security-vpn/
>
> Hoxx VPN.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hoxx-vpn-proxy/
>
> Touch VPN.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/touch-vpn/

Most of those proxies will ask you to register with your email address
which defeats the purpose of a VPN. I don't know what keyword to use for
"no registration necessary" but that's what you'll want to look for.

Certainly someone on this newsgroup should be ahead of you on that since no
registration needed is the a basic requirement of any free VPN out there.

You only need to register for paid VPNs, where the very act of registering
and paying for it defeats the purpose (but most aren't aware of that flaw).