If at first you don't succeed, you must be a programmer.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: New version of Adobe reader SOLUTON

SubjectAuthor
* New version of Adobe readerknuttle
+* Re: New version of Adobe readerknuttle
|+* Re: New version of Adobe reader😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
||`* Re: New version of Adobe reader SOLUTONknuttle
|| +- Re: New version of Adobe reader SOLUTON😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
|| `* Re: New version of Adobe reader SOLUTON...winston
||  +- Re: New version of Adobe reader SOLUTONwasbit
||  `* Re: New version of Adobe reader SOLUTONknuttle
||   `* Re: New version of Adobe reader SOLUTONPaul
||    `- Re: New version of Adobe reader SOLUTON...winston
|`- Re: New version of Adobe reader Final solutionknuttle
`* Re: New version of Adobe reader😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅
 `- Re: New version of Adobe readerknuttle

1
New version of Adobe reader

<ugnb6f$38u4g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74420&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74420

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: New version of Adobe reader
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 21:08:30 -0400
 by: knuttle - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 01:08 UTC

The other day I opened Adobe Reader DC and it went into an automatic
update. The new version appeared to install properly, but thing were
messed up. ie the PDF file icon went to the default icon.

I tried to uninstall the new version with the idea of going back to the
old version it would not uninstall, with the message I don't have access
or can not find a Temp file.

I have administrator privileges, and have been using this set up since
Windows 10 came out.

Can some one help?

Re: New version of Adobe reader

<ugnbg0$390ge$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74421&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74421

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: New version of Adobe reader
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 21:13:35 -0400
 by: knuttle - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 01:13 UTC

On 10/17/2023 9:08 PM, knuttle wrote:
> The other day I opened Adobe Reader DC and it went into an automatic
> update.  The new version appeared to install properly, but thing were
> messed up.  ie the PDF file icon went to the default icon.
>
> I tried to uninstall the new version with the idea of going back to the
> old version it would not uninstall, with the message I don't have access
> or can not find a Temp file.
>
> I have administrator privileges, and have been using this set up since
> Windows 10 came out.
>
> Can some one help?
OP" The exact wording of the error is:
"the temp folder is on a drive that is full or inaccessible, free up
space on the drive or verify you have write permission to the temp folder"
There is only on drive on this computer, I have no idea where the which
temp folder I do not have access to.

Re: New version of Adobe reader

<bqGXM.18359$2Dq2.9643@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74422&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74422

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 21:20:56 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 01:20 UTC

On 10/17/2023 9:08 PM, knuttle wrote:
> The other day I opened Adobe Reader DC and it went into an automatic
> update.  The new version appeared to install properly, but thing were
> messed up.  ie the PDF file icon went to the default icon.
>
> I tried to uninstall the new version with the idea of going back to
> the old version it would not uninstall, with the message I don't have
> access or can not find a Temp file.
>
> I have administrator privileges, and have been using this set up since
> Windows 10 came out.
>
> Can some one help?

So all you don't like is the icon?

I think you can change the default PDF file opener to Microsoft Edge,
and then change it back to Adobe Reader DC. I believe that should get
your Adobe Reader DC icon back in your PDF files. Please try.

Re: New version of Adobe reader

<iIGXM.64584$6L_4.217@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74423&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74423

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 21:40:14 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 01:40 UTC

On 10/17/2023 9:13 PM, knuttle wrote:
> On 10/17/2023 9:08 PM, knuttle wrote:
>> The other day I opened Adobe Reader DC and it went into an automatic
>> update.  The new version appeared to install properly, but thing were
>> messed up.  ie the PDF file icon went to the default icon.
>>
>> I tried to uninstall the new version with the idea of going back to
>> the old version it would not uninstall, with the message I don't have
>> access or can not find a Temp file.
>>
>> I have administrator privileges, and have been using this set up
>> since Windows 10 came out.
>>
>> Can some one help?
> OP" The exact wording of the error is:
> "the temp folder is on a drive that is full or inaccessible, free up
> space on the drive or verify you have write permission to the temp
> folder"
>
> There is only on drive on this computer,  I have no idea where the
> which temp folder I do not have access to.

Please try these:

1. Your drive might be corrupt. Try use Windows to check for errors
(Right-click on Drive C -> Properties -> Tools).

2. Use Windows or third party drive cleaner program to clean up the
drive(Press the Windows button on your keyboard. Type Disk Cleanup and
choose Disk Cleanup App. Remember to scroll down to check "Temporary
files". That should remove those Temp files.

3. Install "Everything" to look for the file by typing in the filename,
then you will know where that Temp folder is.

https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/

Re: New version of Adobe reader

<ugnd4d$3adno$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74424&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74424

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 21:41:32 -0400
 by: knuttle - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 01:41 UTC

On 10/17/2023 9:20 PM, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
> change the default PDF file opener to Microsoft Edge, and then change it
> back to Adobe Reader DC. I believe that should get your Adobe Reader DC
> icon back in your PDF files. Please try.
tried that did not work

Re: New version of Adobe reader SOLUTON

<ugndbe$3adno$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74425&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74425

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: New version of Adobe reader SOLUTON
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 21:45:18 -0400
 by: knuttle - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 01:45 UTC

On 10/17/2023 9:40 PM, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:
> On 10/17/2023 9:13 PM, knuttle wrote:
>> On 10/17/2023 9:08 PM, knuttle wrote:
>>> The other day I opened Adobe Reader DC and it went into an automatic
>>> update.  The new version appeared to install properly, but thing were
>>> messed up.  ie the PDF file icon went to the default icon.
>>>
>>> I tried to uninstall the new version with the idea of going back to
>>> the old version it would not uninstall, with the message I don't have
>>> access or can not find a Temp file.
>>>
>>> I have administrator privileges, and have been using this set up
>>> since Windows 10 came out.
>>>
>>> Can some one help?
>> OP" The exact wording of the error is:
>> "the temp folder is on a drive that is full or inaccessible, free up
>> space on the drive or verify you have write permission to the temp
>> folder"
>>
>> There is only on drive on this computer,  I have no idea where the
>> which temp folder I do not have access to.
>
> Please try these:
>
> 1. Your drive might be corrupt. Try use Windows to check for errors
> (Right-click on Drive C -> Properties -> Tools).
>
> 2. Use Windows or third party drive cleaner program to clean up the
> drive(Press the Windows button on your keyboard. Type Disk Cleanup and
> choose Disk Cleanup App. Remember to scroll down to check "Temporary
> files". That should remove those Temp files.
>
> 3. Install "Everything" to look for the file by typing in the filename,
> then you will know where that Temp folder is.
>
> https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/

OP: I now have removed the Adobe Reader DC. I did a search on "remove
Adobe Reader DC after a failed installation" and it directed me to
Adobe's own Adobe Removal tool. It removed Adobe completely with no
question.
NOW I have to decide if I want to try another installation of Adobe DC
or wait for a couple of weeks to see if a patch is released.

Re: New version of Adobe reader SOLUTON

<3YGXM.39790$U4F3.25903@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74427&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74427

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: ...@. (😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 21:57:03 -0400
 by: 😎 Mighty Wannabe - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 01:57 UTC

On 10/17/2023 9:45 PM, knuttle wrote:
> On 10/17/2023 9:40 PM, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:

>>> OP" The exact wording of the error is:
>>> "the temp folder is on a drive that is full or inaccessible, free up
>>> space on the drive or verify you have write permission to the temp
>>> folder"
>>>
>>> There is only on drive on this computer,  I have no idea where the
>>> which temp folder I do not have access to.
>>
>> Please try these:
>>
>> 1. Your drive might be corrupt. Try use Windows to check for errors
>> (Right-click on Drive C -> Properties -> Tools).
>>
>> 2. Use Windows or third party drive cleaner program to clean up the
>> drive(Press the Windows button on your keyboard. Type Disk Cleanup
>> and choose Disk Cleanup App. Remember to scroll down to check
>> "Temporary files". That should remove those Temp files.
>>
>> 3. Install "Everything" to look for the file by typing in the
>> filename, then you will know where that Temp folder is.
>>
>> https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/
>>

> OP:  I now have removed the Adobe Reader DC.  I did a search on
> "remove Adobe Reader DC after a failed installation" and it directed
> me to Adobe's own Adobe Removal tool.   It removed Adobe completely
> with no question.
>
> NOW I have to decide if I want to try another installation of Adobe DC
> or wait for a couple of weeks to see if a patch is released.

I suggest you reinstall Adobe DC. If it happens again, then try the 3
methods I showed you.

Re: New version of Adobe reader SOLUTON

<ugo19l$3h4pg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74429&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74429

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 03:25:40 -0400
 by: ...winston - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 07:25 UTC

knuttle wrote:
> On 10/17/2023 9:40 PM, 😎 Mighty Wannabe ✅ wrote:

>>> OP" The exact wording of the error is:
>>> "the temp folder is on a drive that is full or inaccessible, free up
>>> space on the drive or verify you have write permission to the temp
>>> folder"
>>>
>>> There is only on drive on this computer,  I have no idea where the
>>> which temp folder I do not have access to.
>>
>> Please try these:
>>
>> 1. Your drive might be corrupt. Try use Windows to check for errors
>> (Right-click on Drive C -> Properties -> Tools).
>>
>> 2. Use Windows or third party drive cleaner program to clean up the
>> drive(Press the Windows button on your keyboard. Type Disk Cleanup and
>> choose Disk Cleanup App. Remember to scroll down to check "Temporary
>> files". That should remove those Temp files.
>>
>> 3. Install "Everything" to look for the file by typing in the
>> filename, then you will know where that Temp folder is.
>>
>> https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/
>>

> OP:  I now have removed the Adobe Reader DC.  I did a search on "remove
> Adobe Reader DC after a failed installation" and it directed me to
> Adobe's own Adobe Removal tool.   It removed Adobe completely with no
> question.
>
> NOW I have to decide if I want to try another installation of Adobe DC
> or wait for a couple of weeks to see if a patch is released.

Adobe Reader comes in two flavors
Continous and Classic.

Which version are/were you using?
- both version base installers are available, as well as the latest
msp release to update the base install build number to the current
released build(for Continous or Classic versions).

The latest Continous Track is an optional update 23.006.20360 on Oct 17,
2023 (fixed some bugs)
The last Continous Track Planned Update was 23.006.20320 on Sept 12. 2023

The latest Class Track Planned Update was 20.005.30524 on Sept 12, 2023.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: New version of Adobe reader SOLUTON

<ugo6l9$3i87d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74433&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74433

From: was...@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 09:57:11 +0100
 by: wasbit - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 08:57 UTC

On 18/10/2023 08:25, ...winston wrote:

>> snip <<
>>
> Adobe Reader comes in two flavors
>  Continous and Classic.
>
> Which version are/were you using?
>  - both version base installers are available, as well as the latest
> msp release to update the base install build number to the current
> released build(for Continous or Classic versions).
>
> The latest Continous Track is an optional update 23.006.20360 on Oct 17,
> 2023 (fixed some bugs)
> The last Continous Track Planned Update was  23.006.20320 on Sept 12. 2023
>

> The latest Class Track Planned Update was 20.005.30524 on Sept 12, 2023.

As far as I know there is no such word as continous.
Presumably they mean continuous - or perhaps it's a deliberate
corruption & they will trademark it.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: New version of Adobe reader SOLUTON

<ugp38b$3or6a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74449&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74449

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 13:05:15 -0400
 by: knuttle - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 17:05 UTC

On 10/18/2023 3:25 AM, ...winston wrote:
> knuttle wrote:

>>> Please try these:
>>>
>>> 1. Your drive might be corrupt. Try use Windows to check for errors
>>> (Right-click on Drive C -> Properties -> Tools).
>>>
>>> 2. Use Windows or third party drive cleaner program to clean up the
>>> drive(Press the Windows button on your keyboard. Type Disk Cleanup
>>> and choose Disk Cleanup App. Remember to scroll down to check
>>> "Temporary files". That should remove those Temp files.
>>>
>>> 3. Install "Everything" to look for the file by typing in the
>>> filename, then you will know where that Temp folder is.
>>>
>>> https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/
>>>

>> OP:  I now have removed the Adobe Reader DC.  I did a search on
>> "remove Adobe Reader DC after a failed installation" and it directed
>> me to Adobe's own Adobe Removal tool.   It removed Adobe completely
>> with no question.
>>
>> NOW I have to decide if I want to try another installation of Adobe DC
>> or wait for a couple of weeks to see if a patch is released.
>>

> Adobe Reader comes in two flavors
>  Continous and Classic.
>
> Which version are/were you using?
>  - both version base installers are available, as well as the latest
> msp release to update the base install build number to the current
> released build(for Continous or Classic versions).
>
> The latest Continous Track is an optional update 23.006.20360 on Oct 17,
> 2023 (fixed some bugs)
> The last Continous Track Planned Update was  23.006.20320 on Sept 12. 2023
>

> The latest Class Track Planned Update was 20.005.30524 on Sept 12, 2023.

Unknown to me the download function, downloaded and installed the
combined new interface and the old one in one file. You could change
between them. When I changed that is when the fun began.

Re: New version of Adobe reader SOLUTON

<ugpiar$3s6je$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74459&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74459

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 17:22:34 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 21:22 UTC

On 10/18/2023 1:05 PM, knuttle wrote:
> On 10/18/2023 3:25 AM, ...winston wrote:
>> knuttle wrote:

>>> OP:  I now have removed the Adobe Reader DC.  I did a search on "remove Adobe Reader DC after a failed installation" and it directed me to Adobe's own Adobe Removal tool.   It removed Adobe completely with no question.
>>>
>>> NOW I have to decide if I want to try another installation of Adobe DC or wait for a couple of weeks to see if a patch is released.
>>>

>> Adobe Reader comes in two flavors
>>   Continous and Classic.
>>
>> Which version are/were you using?
>>   - both version base installers are available, as well as the latest msp release to update the base install build number to the current released build(for Continous or Classic versions).
>>
>> The latest Continous Track is an optional update 23.006.20360 on Oct 17, 2023 (fixed some bugs)
>> The last Continous Track Planned Update was  23.006.20320 on Sept 12. 2023
>>

>> The latest Class Track Planned Update was 20.005.30524 on Sept 12, 2023.
>>

> Unknown to me the download function, downloaded and installed the combined
> new interface and the old one in one file.  You could change between them.
> When I changed that is when the fun began.

Adobe had one bug in the installer previously, where it ended up
that the workaround, was to "make mspaint the default app for .ico files".
The MSPaint icon, having replaced the Acrobat Reader icon. How that
works as a solution, not a clue. Adobe left that bug in, for more than
a year, despite people whining about it in the Adobe forum.

When an icon goes blank, you can either try making the application
the default again, or you can delete the iconcache.db and friends.
The best way to do that, is probably from Linux, as the Windows script
for that, involves killing Explorer.exe among other steps. And the
Windows procedure needs a reboot (as it was a script, and they can't
exactly ask you to start Task Manager and manually reload explorer.exe) .

In an unelevated Powershell (as the user needing the changes)

# "Listing all the COM automation PROGIDs". I am using Findstr on the end, to reduce output.
# You can try Adobe, Acro, or DC as a string to search for.

dir REGISTRY::HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID -include PROGID -recurse | foreach {$_.GetValue(“”)} | findstr DC

# That returned "Acrobat.Document.DC" as a useful hit.
# And I can see that choice, used here. That's my current association.

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\UserChoice
Hash Reg_SZ[string] abcd1234= <=== involves crypto, cannot hand-hack this with copy/pasta
ProgId Reg_SZ[string] Acrobat.Document.DC

# A way to do it without the GUI, is a third-party application.
# This generates the Hash, which is also near that key area.

SetUserFTA.exe .pdf Acrobat.Document.DC

It would be interesting to see what is bound to yours right now.

it's possible your Program Files folder has two executables in it.

Paul

Re: New version of Adobe reader Final solution

<ugq2j9$3gs9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74467&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74467

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: New version of Adobe reader Final solution
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 22:00:08 -0400
 by: knuttle - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 02:00 UTC

On 10/17/2023 9:13 PM, knuttle wrote:
> On 10/17/2023 9:08 PM, knuttle wrote:
>> The other day I opened Adobe Reader DC and it went into an automatic
>> update.  The new version appeared to install properly, but thing were
>> messed up.  ie the PDF file icon went to the default icon.
>>
>> I tried to uninstall the new version with the idea of going back to
>> the old version it would not uninstall, with the message I don't have
>> access or can not find a Temp file.
>>
>> I have administrator privileges, and have been using this set up since
>> Windows 10 came out.
>>
>> Can some one help?
> OP" The exact wording of the error is:
> "the temp folder is on a drive that is full or inaccessible, free up
> space on the drive or verify you have write permission to the temp folder"
>
> There is only on drive on this computer,  I have no idea where the which
> temp folder I do not have access to.
First someone mentioned a Continuous version of Adobe Reader. While I
did not see it listed on the Adobe site, when it is installing the
header is Adobe Reader Continuous.
Everything I mentioned about installing Adobe failed. I finally gave
up downloaded the MS media Creation tool, selected install save my
programs and data; and let in reinstall Window 10.
Once complete all of my programs except Window 7 games worked. All of
my data was intact, and more importantly I down loaded the full install
file and was able to install Adobe Reader DC successfully.
Thanks for all of the help

Re: New version of Adobe reader SOLUTON

<ugr14v$9ub4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74478&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74478

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 06:41:33 -0400
 by: ...winston - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 10:41 UTC

Paul wrote:

> Adobe had one bug in the installer previously, where it ended up
> that the workaround, was to "make mspaint the default app for .ico files".
> The MSPaint icon, having replaced the Acrobat Reader icon. How that
> works as a solution, not a clue. Adobe left that bug in, for more than
> a year, despite people whining about it in the Adobe forum.

Maybe lucky, haven't seen that *.ico file bug.

I set ico file types to Irfanview, nothing has ever changed that, even
an install of Adobe Reader DC after associating to IV. Nor an upgrade
from 10 Pro to 11 Pro.

How long ago was that bug. I've used Adobe Reader and all released
versions(iirc since v4 or v5).

--