Subject: Re: The Vacuous Truth about the Present King of France: ****
CORRECTION *** {vacuous truth}
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
<a95d0122-3a4d-4088-a8b5-78bdb419324dn@googlegroups.com>
<DoydncmWU6XDGPT8nZ2dnUU7-UHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<484ba388-b13a-4720-846e-8515376d5eb4n@googlegroups.com>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:59:36 -0500
 by: olcott - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 15:59 UTC

On 10/15/2021 10:06 AM, Dan Christensen wrote:
> On Friday, October 15, 2021 at 9:43:01 AM UTC-4, olcott wrote:

>>> No comment??? You will really need to sort out this "package deal" thing first. You will waste a lot time going in circles otherwise. It may be that natural language itself will have to evolve in certain directions to solve this formalization problem of yours.
>> Since I, Richard Montague and others have been considering this for many
>> years we know that no changes need be made to natural language to
>> formalize it.
>>
>> All of your objections go away at the purely semantic level. The
>> formalized grammar of natural language semantics is so much simpler that
>> these complexities that you refer to are eliminated or reduced to a
>> manageable level. Idioms do not exist at the purely semantic level.
>>
>> Basic rules of logic mostly need not be eliminated. The biggest change
>> to logic is that it is not allowed to ignore semantics.
>>

> The basic rules of logic lead unavoidably to the notion of vacuous truth

To the extent that the basic rules of logic lead to the nonsense concept
of vacuous truth the basic rules of logic are semantically incorrect.

> (i.e. ~A => [A => B]). See my proof here. Sooner or later, your formalization process will have to deal with this.
>
> BTW you never did say why you or anyone else would want to formalize natural language.

To create a software based human mind.

> To me, it seems destined to fail.

Only because you have not bothered to think it through to the same
extent of others.

> If you want a formal system of logic, you really can't beat classical logic.

I will literally beat it to its own death.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein