"Life is a garment we continuously alter, but which never seems to fit." -- David McCord

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Claws Mail

SubjectAuthor
* Claws MailEd Cryer
+* Re: Claws MailVanguardLH
|+- Re: Claws MailBig Al
|`- Re: Claws MailPaul
`* Re: Claws MailEd Cryer
 +* Re: Claws MailPaul
 |`- Re: Claws MailNewyana2
 `* Re: Claws MailFrank Slootweg
  `* Re: Claws MailEd Cryer
   +- Re: Claws MailVanguardLH
   `* Re: Claws MailChar Jackson
    +* Re: Claws MailEd Cryer
    |+* Re: Claws MailBig Al
    ||`- Re: Claws MailEd Cryer
    |`- Re: Claws MailMark Lloyd
    `- Re: Claws MailMark Lloyd

1
Claws Mail

<uh0vg8$1rrnn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74522&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74522

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Claws Mail
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:48:55 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 16:48 UTC

I've tried this out, and it's not too bad at all; email and Usenet.
Here's a screenshot.
There's lots of tweakability.
https://tinyurl.com/ylko35yh

Ed

Re: Claws Mail

<6ukue6ctzsq5$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74523&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74523

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Claws Mail
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 19:06:41 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 00:06 UTC

Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

> I've tried this out, and it's not too bad at all; email and Usenet.
> Here's a screenshot.
> There's lots of tweakability.
> https://tinyurl.com/ylko35yh

On Windows, it is a port from a Linux version.

Says SSL over POP3, IMAP4, and NNTP. How about TLS? SSL got
deprecated.

Features list "filtering", but no description of capabilities.
- Do filters support regex?
- Do filters get exercised on ALL headers, or just the overview
headers?

Does "font configuration" include both the chrome and content, or just
the content? That is, besides the content of a message or article, can
the elements in the window (chrome with little "c") also be configured?

Is it DPI-aware? Not all users leave DPI at 100%. Mine is set at 150%.

For IMAP, is PUSH supported?

Delayed sending for e-mails?

There is an S/MIME add-on. Would've thought this would be integral (no
need for an add-on) to the client.

Re: Claws Mail

<uh1s58$227hf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74524&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74524

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 20:59:20 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 00:59 UTC

On 10/21/23 08:06 PM, this is what VanguardLH wrote:
> Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>
>> I've tried this out, and it's not too bad at all; email and Usenet.
>> Here's a screenshot.
>> There's lots of tweakability.
>> https://tinyurl.com/ylko35yh
>
> On Windows, it is a port from a Linux version.
>
> Says SSL over POP3, IMAP4, and NNTP. How about TLS? SSL got
> deprecated.
>
> Features list "filtering", but no description of capabilities.
> - Do filters support regex?
> - Do filters get exercised on ALL headers, or just the overview
> headers?
>
> Does "font configuration" include both the chrome and content, or just
> the content? That is, besides the content of a message or article, can
> the elements in the window (chrome with little "c") also be configured?
>
> Is it DPI-aware? Not all users leave DPI at 100%. Mine is set at 150%.
>
> For IMAP, is PUSH supported?
>
> Delayed sending for e-mails?
>
> There is an S/MIME add-on. Would've thought this would be integral (no
> need for an add-on) to the client.
I tried it on Linux and could not get the Oauth2 working. Besides the UI was kind of funky. IMHO
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Claws Mail

<uh2esi$29els$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74530&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74530

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 02:18:56 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 06:18 UTC

On 10/21/2023 8:06 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>
>> I've tried this out, and it's not too bad at all; email and Usenet.
>> Here's a screenshot.
>> There's lots of tweakability.
>> https://tinyurl.com/ylko35yh
>
> On Windows, it is a port from a Linux version.
>
> Says SSL over POP3, IMAP4, and NNTP. How about TLS? SSL got
> deprecated.
>
> Features list "filtering", but no description of capabilities.
> - Do filters support regex?
> - Do filters get exercised on ALL headers, or just the overview
> headers?
>
> Does "font configuration" include both the chrome and content, or just
> the content? That is, besides the content of a message or article, can
> the elements in the window (chrome with little "c") also be configured?
>
> Is it DPI-aware? Not all users leave DPI at 100%. Mine is set at 150%.
>
> For IMAP, is PUSH supported?
>
> Delayed sending for e-mails?
>
> There is an S/MIME add-on. Would've thought this would be integral (no
> need for an add-on) to the client.

https://www.claws-mail.org/win32/

SSL via GnuTLS

Some of its functionality potentially comes from add-ons.

But whether this is what gates OAUTH2 working, who knows.

Fancy : Displays HTML emails using WebKit rendering engine
LiteHTML Viewer : Displays HTML emails using the LiteHTML rendering library.

With the GNUTLS mention here, it is possible there is a preference
or setting for what flavor of SSL/TLS is to be used. At negotiation time.

https://www.claws-mail.org/news.php

Build system: GLib version 2.50 or greater is required;
autoconf version 2.69 or greater is required;
pkgconfig support for GPGME
libgpg-error has been added;
GnuTLS is required for OAuth2; <=== ???
OAuth2 support can be removed
with --disable-oauth2

Paul

Re: Claws Mail

<uh2mjv$2asi1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74532&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74532

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 09:30:01 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:30 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> I've tried this out, and it's not too bad at all; email and Usenet.
> Here's a screenshot.
> There's lots of tweakability.
> https://tinyurl.com/ylko35yh
>
> Ed

Text only, of course. That seriously degrades modern email usage. But
(and I'm not joking here) it has the advantage of reducing spam &
marketing emails to slivers of simple text.

The Newsgroups, however, are fine; text only is my preference here. And
it will suffice until Mozilla have re-instigated Tbird as utilisable.

Ed

Re: Claws Mail

<uh2v8p$2csod$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74540&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74540

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 06:58:32 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 10:58 UTC

On 10/22/2023 4:30 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
> Ed Cryer wrote:
>> I've tried this out, and it's not too bad at all; email and Usenet.
>> Here's a screenshot.
>> There's lots of tweakability.
>> https://tinyurl.com/ylko35yh
>>
>> Ed
>
> Text only, of course. That seriously degrades modern email usage. But (and I'm not joking here) it has the advantage of reducing spam & marketing emails to slivers of simple text.
>
> The Newsgroups, however, are fine; text only is my preference here. And it will suffice until Mozilla have re-instigated Tbird as utilisable.
>
> Ed

"Please use an HTML client to see this message"

That's generally a sign, that nothing of value was lost.

Who needs purple text on a brown background, anyway.

Paul

Re: Claws Mail

<uh377n$2eggr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74547&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74547

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 09:14:21 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 13:14 UTC

"Paul" <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote

| Who needs purple text on a brown background, anyway.

Indeed. I used to have someone who sent Comic Sans
in ketchup color on a yellow background. I haven't enabled
HTML email for many years. But I've notice more recently
that sometimes there's no text version. More commonly is
email from non-profits, my doctor, etc -- small companies --
where it's multi-part but the text version is not the same as
the HTML. At best, there's no formatting and no line returns.
At worst, one sender sends me emails where the text section
is not only almost unreadable. It's a copy of an email from
several months ago! I'm curious how that happens. Some
come through the spyware company ConstantContact. My
dentist sends through patientconnect365.com. Broken.
Generally it seems to be a 3rd-party company contracted
to handle email.

In one case I wrote to someone in charge to let them know
I was receiving a newsletter that was several months old. I
got an out-of-office reply. :) I've looked at the source code
in these cases. The HTML version is current. The plain text
version is not the same content and is sometimes, as mentioned,
the content from an email a few months prior.

I'm guessing that reading email in a browser, on a cellphone,
has become the norm. Companies like ConstantContact depend
on it. They claim they can report whenever an email is opened
and how far down someone reads. That can only work in a
browser with script enabled and web bug images not blocked.
It might partially work in HTML email, but most email programs
seem to now default to blocking web bug images -- actually all
external images -- so a successful spyware company like CC
would have no business if most people were not using webmail.

Re: Claws Mail

<uh3ji5.r5s.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74550&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74550

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 22 Oct 2023 14:45:01 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:45 UTC

Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
> Ed Cryer wrote:
> > I've tried this out, and it's not too bad at all; email and Usenet.
> > Here's a screenshot.
> > There's lots of tweakability.
> > https://tinyurl.com/ylko35yh
> >
> > Ed
>
> Text only, of course. That seriously degrades modern email usage. But
> (and I'm not joking here) it has the advantage of reducing spam &
> marketing emails to slivers of simple text.

Does View -> Message Body As -> Plain Text (or Simple HTML) in
Thunderbird not do more or less the same for you?

> The Newsgroups, however, are fine; text only is my preference here. And
> it will suffice until Mozilla have re-instigated Tbird as utilisable.

Have you rolled-back (and frozen) Thunderbird? If not, why not? (That
would seem to be a much more efficient option than temporarily switching
to a new client.)

Re: Claws Mail

<uh3naf$2i8kd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74556&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74556

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 18:48:41 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:48 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>> Ed Cryer wrote:
>>> I've tried this out, and it's not too bad at all; email and Usenet.
>>> Here's a screenshot.
>>> There's lots of tweakability.
>>> https://tinyurl.com/ylko35yh
>>>
>>> Ed
>>
>> Text only, of course. That seriously degrades modern email usage. But
>> (and I'm not joking here) it has the advantage of reducing spam &
>> marketing emails to slivers of simple text.
>
> Does View -> Message Body As -> Plain Text (or Simple HTML) in
> Thunderbird not do more or less the same for you?
>
>> The Newsgroups, however, are fine; text only is my preference here. And
>> it will suffice until Mozilla have re-instigated Tbird as utilisable.
>
> Have you rolled-back (and frozen) Thunderbird? If not, why not? (That
> would seem to be a much more efficient option than temporarily switching
> to a new client.)
I started looking at Claws early on during the 115 disaster.
I thought I'd see it through.
Do you, or anyone, know where I can get a version of Forté Agent free of
charge? Maybe somewhere in the WayBackMachine?
Ed

Re: Claws Mail

<1i2sbmcmcfxj5.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74567&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74567

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 19:53:05 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 00:53 UTC

Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

> RnJhbmsgU2xvb3R3ZWcgd3JvdGU6DQo+IEVkIENyeWVyIDxlZEBzb21ld2hlcmUuaW4udGhl
> LnVrPiB3cm90ZToNCj4+IEVkIENyeWVyIHdyb3RlOg0KPj4+IEkndmUgdHJpZWQgdGhpcyBv
> dXQsIGFuZCBpdCdzIG5vdCB0b28gYmFkIGF0IGFsbDsgZW1haWwgYW5kIFVzZW5ldC4NCj4+
> PiBIZXJlJ3MgYSBzY3JlZW5zaG90Lg0KPj4+IFRoZXJlJ3MgbG90cyBvZiB0d2Vha2FiaWxp
> dHkuDQo+Pj4gaHR0cHM6Ly90aW55dXJsLmNvbS95bGtvMzV5aA0KPj4+DQo+Pj4gRWQNCj4+

Yeah, that base 64 encoding again.

Re: Claws Mail

<4lnbji9vmognp8vehir5tb3jd69n68ph6a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74571&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74571

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 21:47:50 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 02:47 UTC

On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 18:48:41 +0100, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

>Do you, or anyone, know where I can get a version of Forté Agent free of
>charge? Maybe somewhere in the WayBackMachine?

https://www.forteinc.com/agent/download-all.php

I believe version 3.3 was the last truly free version, but it's been a while and
I could be wrong.

Re: Claws Mail

<uh5l2k$33k91$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74584&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74584

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:22:19 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:22 UTC

Char Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 18:48:41 +0100, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>
>> Do you, or anyone, know where I can get a version of Forté Agent free of
>> charge? Maybe somewhere in the WayBackMachine?
>
> https://www.forteinc.com/agent/download-all.php
>
> I believe version 3.3 was the last truly free version, but it's been a while and
> I could be wrong.

I have a knotty problem for a good systems programmer.
I downloaded and installed the latest Forté Agent (8. something). It
offers 30 days free trial. It installed but refused to run until I
purchased a licence, then it showed me part of a message in a NG from 4
years ago.
Obviously I tried it 4 years back.
I've uninstalled with IOBit Uninstaller, which deletes all keys and
folders in the app's install details. But it would seem that they've
buried a marker somewhere out of sight on my machine.
How can I find and erase that marker?
Ed

Re: Claws Mail

<uh5q44$349am$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74588&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74588

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 08:49:08 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:49 UTC

On 10/23/23 07:22 AM, this is what Ed Cryer wrote:
> Char Jackson wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 18:48:41 +0100, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Do you, or anyone, know where I can get a version of Forté Agent free of
>>> charge? Maybe somewhere in the WayBackMachine?
>>
>> https://www.forteinc.com/agent/download-all.php
>>
>> I believe version 3.3 was the last truly free version, but it's been a while and
>> I could be wrong.
>>

> I have a knotty problem for a good systems programmer.
>
> I downloaded and installed the latest Forté Agent (8. something). It offers 30 days free trial. It installed but refused
> to run until I purchased a licence, then it showed me part of a message in a NG from 4 years ago.
> Obviously I tried it 4 years back.
> I've uninstalled with IOBit Uninstaller, which deletes all keys and folders in the app's install details. But it would
> seem that they've buried a marker somewhere out of sight on my machine.
> How can I find and erase that marker?
>
> Ed
I like Revo uninstaller. You could reload Forte and then use Revo to uninstall.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Claws Mail

<8iwZM.51859$%wRe.5557@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74590&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74590

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:28:04 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:28 UTC

On 10/22/23 21:47, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 18:48:41 +0100, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>
>> Do you, or anyone, know where I can get a version of Forté Agent free of
>> charge? Maybe somewhere in the WayBackMachine?
>
> https://www.forteinc.com/agent/download-all.php
>
> I believe version 3.3 was the last truly free version, but it's been a while and
> I could be wrong.

I think you're right about that.

I used to use Agent, and IIRC v3.3 had a lot of nice features and the
later versions didn't really add much.

--
64 days until the winter celebration (Monday, December 25, 2023 12:00 AM
for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The wind is like the air, only pushier."

Re: Claws Mail

<olwZM.51860$%wRe.5207@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74591&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74591

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:31:32 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:31 UTC

On 10/23/23 06:22, Ed Cryer wrote:

[snip]

> I downloaded and installed the latest Forté Agent (8. something). It
> offers 30 days free trial. It installed but refused to run until I
> purchased a licence, then it showed me part of a message in a NG from 4
> years ago.
> Obviously I tried it 4 years back.
> I've uninstalled with IOBit Uninstaller, which deletes all keys and
> folders in the app's install details. But it would seem that they've
> buried a marker somewhere out of sight on my machine.
> How can I find and erase that marker?
>
> Ed

Maybe its time to re-install the OS (not just for that, but it clears up
a lot of the junk that's accumulated).

--
64 days until the winter celebration (Monday, December 25, 2023 12:00 AM
for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The wind is like the air, only pushier."

Re: Claws Mail

<uh67ij$38js2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=74592&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#74592

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 17:38:16 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:38 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> On 10/23/23 07:22 AM, this is what Ed Cryer wrote:
>> Char Jackson wrote:

>>> https://www.forteinc.com/agent/download-all.php
>>>
>>> I believe version 3.3 was the last truly free version, but it's been
>>> a while and
>>> I could be wrong.
>>>

>> I have a knotty problem for a good systems programmer.
>>
>> I downloaded and installed the latest Forté Agent (8. something). It
>> offers 30 days free trial. It installed but refused to run until I
>> purchased a licence, then it showed me part of a message in a NG from
>> 4 years ago.
>> Obviously I tried it 4 years back.
>> I've uninstalled with IOBit Uninstaller, which deletes all keys and
>> folders in the app's install details. But it would seem that they've
>> buried a marker somewhere out of sight on my machine.
>> How can I find and erase that marker?
>>
>> Ed
> I like Revo uninstaller.  You could reload Forte and then use Revo to
> uninstall.
I've found two folders called "Agent".
One in {user}/AppData/Roaming/Forte
the other in Program Files (x86).