Subject: How to Use Windows 7 Securely and Effectively in 2024
From: mummycul...@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (MummyChunk)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 05:01:04 +0000
 by: MummyChunk - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 05:01 UTC

Article that came through today about Windows 7 in 2024. Not sure how
much is still true but maybe helpful for some of the holdouts.

Windows 7 is one of the most popular operating systems in the world,
with millions of users still loyal to its familiar and user-friendly
interface. However, since January 2020, Windows 7 has reached its end
of support status, meaning that Microsoft no longer provides security
updates, technical assistance, or software updates for this operating
system. This poses significant challenges and risks for Windows 7
users in 2024, such as malware, compatibility issues, and performance
degradation.

In this article, here are possible solutions and best practices for
using Windows 7 securely and effectively in 2024.

Areas:
Extended Security Updates (ESU)

Antivirus and Firewall
Browser and Software Updates

Backup and Recovery
Extended Security Updates (ESU)

One of the most important steps to secure Windows 7 in 2024 is to
purchase (if still possible) and install Extended Security Updates
(ESU). ESU was a paid program that provides critical and important
security updates for Windows 7 until January 2023. These updates
protected Windows 7 from new and emerging threats, such as ransomware,
phishing, or zero-day exploits.

ESU is only available for Windows 7 Professional and Enterprise
customers with volume licensing. To purchase and install ESU, you need
to follow these steps:

Contact your Microsoft account manager or partner to get a quote and
purchase ESU.

Download and install the ESU key management service (KMS) update and
the ESU license preparation package from the Microsoft Update
Catalog.

Activate the ESU key using the Volume Activation Management Tool
(VAMT) or the slmgr.vbs script.

Verify that the ESU key is activated and that you can receive ESU
updates from Windows Update.

Antivirus and Firewall
Another essential step to protect Windows 7 in 2024 is to use a
reliable and updated antivirus and firewall software. Antivirus and
firewall software can prevent, detect, and remove malware and
cyberattacks that target Windows 7. They can also block unwanted or
malicious network traffic and applications from accessing your
system.

There are many antivirus and firewall software that are compatible
with Windows 7, such as Bitdefender, Kaspersky, or Norton. You can
choose the one that suits your needs and budget, and make sure to keep
it updated with the latest virus definitions and security patches. You
can also use the built-in Windows Defender and Windows Firewall
features in Windows 7, but they may not offer the same level of
protection and functionality as the third-party software.
Browser and Software

Updates
Keeping the browser and other software applications updated to the
latest versions that support Windows 7 is another important step to
improve security, compatibility, and performance. Updating the browser
and software can fix bugs, vulnerabilities, and compatibility issues
that may affect Windows 7. It can also enhance the functionality and
performance of the browser and software, and provide new features and
improvements.

Some of the browser and software applications that still might support
Windows 7 are Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Office 2019
. You can check the official websites of these applications to
download and install the latest updates that are compatible with
Windows 7.

You can also use the built-in Windows Update feature in Windows 7 to
check for and install the available updates for your system and other
Microsoft products.

Backup and Recovery
Creating regular backups of important data and system files, and
having a recovery plan in case of data loss or system failure, is
another crucial step to use Windows 7 securely and effectively in
2024. Backups can help you restore your data and system in the event
of a malware infection, hardware failure, or accidental deletion.
Recovery can help you repair or reinstall your system in the event of
a corruption, crash, or boot failure.

You can use the built-in backup and restore features in Windows 7,
such as Backup and Restore, System Image, or System Restore, to create
and manage your backups and recovery points. You can also use a
third-party backup and recovery software, such as EaseUS Todo Backup
or Acronis True Image, to create and manage your backups and recovery
points. You can store your backups on an external hard drive, a
network location, or a cloud service, and make sure to test them
regularly.

By following these steps, you can extend the life and functionality of
Windows 7 in 2024, and minimize the risks and challenges of using an
unsupported operating system. However, you should also be aware of the
limitations and drawbacks of using Windows 7, such as reduced support,
compatibility, and performance, and the potential exposure to new and
unknown threats.

Re: How to Use Windows 7 Securely and Effectively in 2024

<UDDUPegPAsjlFw0i@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7482&group=alt.windows7.general#7482

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 12:48:15 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 12:48 UTC

In message <5NScnYqw6scNzxP4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com> at Fri, 29
Dec 2023 05:01:04, MummyChunk
<mummycullen@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> writes
>Article that came through today about Windows 7 in 2024. Not sure how
>much is still true but maybe helpful for some of the holdouts.

(Not sure I like being called a "holdout"!)
Not sure when this article was _written_; mention of 2024 suggests late
2023, but some points make me wonder (read on).

>Windows 7 is one of the most popular operating systems in the world,
[snip]
using Windows 7 securely and effectively in 2024.
[]
(ESU). ESU was a paid program that provides critical and important
security updates for Windows 7 until January 2023. These updates

"provides" and "until January 2023" seem a tad incompatible.
[]
ESU is only available for Windows 7 Professional and Enterprise
customers with volume licensing. To purchase and install ESU, you need
[]
Antivirus and Firewall
[]
There are many antivirus and firewall software that are compatible
with Windows 7, such as Bitdefender, Kaspersky, or Norton. You can
choose the one that suits your needs and budget, and make sure to keep
it updated with the latest virus definitions and security patches. You

Most will update themselves; AVG certainly does.
[]
Updates
Keeping the browser and other software applications updated to the
latest versions that support Windows 7 is another important step to
improve security, compatibility, and performance. Updating the browser
and software can fix bugs, vulnerabilities, and compatibility issues
that may affect Windows 7. It can also enhance the functionality and
performance of the browser and software, and provide new features and
improvements.

Security: always a concern, but IMO overblown. Definitely a concern for
anything that goes online at all, browsers being the obvious example;
also things that might run code, such as macros, office suites being
probably the most common. There's also the buffer overflow vulnerability
in JPEG images, but most image software has been proof against that for
many years now. Most other software is a lot less vulnerable, though
obviously be careful.

Compatibility: I suspect most who are still using W7 aren't after new
features, but still want to be able to access files sent them by users
of newer versions, and send files those users can use. However, patches
have been available for the ...x formats (such as .docx and .xlsx) since
Office 2003 that make those accessible; and, I think even the latest
Office can still read .doc files, so your correspondents will be able to
use your output. (Probably won't even notice it doesn't have the extra x
on the filename extension.) The only things I can think of for which new
formats appear are video files, but (a) that seems to have slowed down a
lot - I haven't had a video I can't play for some time - and (b) the
super-high-definition (or whatever) files that _might_ have a new and
incompatible format, are probably ones that a W7-era machine would
struggle to play anyway.

Performance: I suspect a W7-era machine would probably suffer a
_degrade_ in performance running the latest version of much software,
assuming it can run it at all; developments are nearly all to add
features (or, _occasionally_, fix bugs), rather than enhance
_efficiency_ - they're likely to assume a more powerful machine (cores,
cache, etc.): such considerations aren't worth the effort (and thus
money). To be fair on the programmers, they're developing on high-spec
machines, so don't see the advantage (though it's still nice when one
comes across efficient code, such as IrfanView).

Some of the browser and software applications that still might support
Windows 7 are Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Office 2019

I'm surprised to see Chrome mentioned: mine has been telling me "To get
future Google Chrome updates, you'll need Windows 10 or later. This
computer is using Windows 7." for _many_ months now. (Firefox is still
updating.) I stuck with Office 2003 (with the compatibility patches)
because I know it almost instinctively - and as well as (not) having to
learn the new interface, haven't heard of a single thing the newer
versions have that I actually _want_. YMMV.

You can check the official websites of these applications to
download and install the latest updates that are compatible with
Windows 7.

You can also use the built-in Windows Update feature in Windows 7 to
check for and install the available updates for your system and other
Microsoft products.

Of course there won't be any for the system, but that might work for
"other Microsoft products"; however, when I try it, I now get "An error
occurred while checking for new updates for your computer.", error
80072EFE.

Backup and Recovery
[]
You can use the built-in backup and restore features in Windows 7,
such as Backup and Restore, System Image, or System Restore, to create
and manage your backups and recovery points. You can also use a
third-party backup and recovery software, such as EaseUS Todo Backup
or Acronis True Image, to create and manage your backups and recovery
points. You can store your backups on an external hard drive, a
network location, or a cloud service, and make sure to test them
regularly.

(I use Macrium Free - even version 5 is compatible with Windows 7; 5 and
6 at least [I think it's up to 8 now] will fit on a mini-CD. [I actually
leave the CD in my drive most of the time.] I image my small C:
partition [30.1 used out of 50G] with it, keeping 2 or 3 generations; I
copy [with FreeFileSync] my D: for data partition, alternating between
two backups.)

By following these steps, you can extend the life and functionality of
Windows 7 in 2024, and minimize the risks and challenges of using an
unsupported operating system. However, you should also be aware of the
limitations and drawbacks of using Windows 7, such as reduced support,
compatibility, and performance, and the potential exposure to new and
unknown threats.

I'd say _no_ support (from MS - there is some from software suppliers,
especially those still developing for cross-versions [such as Brother's
Keeper, the genealogy software I use]). As explained above, I've no
compatibility problems yet (most likely to come are probably web page
ones), and am happy with performance (again, except on a _few_
websites). I _think_ I'm savvy enough re threats, but I do know "famous
last words", "pride comes before a fall", and so on. But I think most of
those of us still using 7 are fairly savvy/careful.

"You _are_ Zaphod Beeblebrox? _The_ Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
"No, just _a_ Zaphod Beeblebrox. I come in six-packs." (from the link episode)

Re: How to Use Windows 7 Securely and Effectively in 2024

<13f1zvvec1w2z.1lht2zqgfp5hp$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7483&group=alt.windows7.general#7483

From: jj4pub...@outlook.com (JJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 20:15:12 +0700
 by: JJ - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 13:15 UTC

On Fri, 29 Dec 2023 05:01:04 +0000, MummyChunk wrote:
> However, you should also be aware of the
> limitations and drawbacks of using Windows 7, such as reduced support,
> compatibility, and performance, and the potential exposure to new and
> unknown threats.

.... yet, Windows 10/11 systems still managed to get hacked and infected by
malwares.

Re: How to Use Windows 7 Securely and Effectively in 2024

<QDMV$BkzDtjlFwEb@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7484&group=alt.windows7.general#7484

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 14:00:19 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 14:00 UTC

In message <13f1zvvec1w2z.1lht2zqgfp5hp$.dlg@40tude.net> at Fri, 29 Dec
2023 20:15:12, JJ <jj4public@outlook.com> writes
>On Fri, 29 Dec 2023 05:01:04 +0000, MummyChunk wrote:
>> However, you should also be aware of the
>> limitations and drawbacks of using Windows 7, such as reduced support,
>> compatibility, and performance, and the potential exposure to new and
>> unknown threats.
>
>... yet, Windows 10/11 systems still managed to get hacked and infected by
>malwares.

More so, since there are richer pickings: more targets, and probably
with more money, as they have newer computers. (Which are probably also
more capable of running the malscripts. And, since younger owners, have
more harvestable contacts.)

Radio 4 is one of the reasons being British is good. It's not a subset of
Britain - it's almost as if Britain is a subset of Radio 4. - Stephen Fry, in
Radio Times, 7-13 June, 2003.