Weekends were made for programming. -- Karl Lehenbauer

computers / news.groups / Re: Usenet Newsgroups Part I - I find some Usenet Archives on CD-ROM

SubjectAuthor
* Usenet Newsgroups Part I - I find some Usenet Archives on CD-ROMPaul W. Schleck
+* Usenet Newsgroups Part II - What is on that CD and Why Your Hard Drive isn't a DPaul W. Schleck
|+* Usenet Newsgroups Part III - Founding, Fame, Influence, and ForeshadowingPaul W. Schleck
||`- Re: Usenet Newsgroups Part III - Founding, Fame, Influence, and ForeshadowingD. Ray
|`- Re: Usenet Newsgroups Part II - What is on that CD and Why Your Hard Drive isn'tD. Ray
`- Re: Usenet Newsgroups Part I - I find some Usenet Archives on CD-ROMD. Ray

1
Usenet Newsgroups Part I - I find some Usenet Archives on CD-ROM

<ulmodt$lkm$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=743&group=news.groups#743

From: pschl...@panix.com (Paul W. Schleck)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet,alt.culture.usenet,news.groups
Subject: Usenet Newsgroups Part I - I find some Usenet Archives on CD-ROM
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 12:09:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Paul W. Schleck - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 12:09 UTC

"Usenet was, in its own archaic way, something of the precursor of
social media. It was open to anyone (or anyone with the technical means
and knowledge) to participate in. It was divided up into nine top level
groups (after the great renaming of 85/86), eight of which faced some
form of moderation and the ninth, ALT, which was the wild west of
Usenet, where anything was possible.

ALT did not, in fact, stand for Anarchists, Lunatics and Terrorists, it
just seemed that way.

And there were many other locally created groups that had limited
distribution."

https://tagn.wordpress.com/2023/11/26/usenet-newsgroups-part-i-i-find-some-usenet-archives-on-cd-rom/

Usenet Newsgroups Part II - What is on that CD and Why Your Hard Drive isn't a Database

<ulmoq1$6kl$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=744&group=news.groups#744

From: pschl...@panix.com (Paul W. Schleck)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet,alt.culture.usenet,news.groups
Subject: Usenet Newsgroups Part II - What is on that CD and Why Your Hard Drive isn't a Database
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 12:16:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Paul W. Schleck - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 12:16 UTC

"But this was how it was done back in 1979 when they put all of this
together. And not just for Usenet. Early email server storage was the
same way, with every email being a single file on the drive in a
directory that indicated the user name of the owner/recipient. Or
something like that. I used to have the SRI Guide to internet
configurations from 1992, but I am pretty sure that got tossed. (Also,
SRI will come up again in a later post.) But there is still some history
out there if you are interested.

It was okay at the time. The internet was small. There was a limited
number of users. And the UNIX machines driving all of this were among
the most capable around and were largely funded directly or indirectly
by government research grants.

Anyway, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Later, it had to get
fixed and the committee driving all of this came up with a method that
did not litter your drive with hundreds of thousands of tiny files
taking up more space than they should. But that came later after it was
practically a crisis and hosting Usenet was a durability test."

https://tagn.wordpress.com/2023/12/03/usenet-newsgroups-part-ii-what-is-on-that-cd-and-why-your-hard-drive-isnt-a-database/

Usenet Newsgroups Part III - Founding, Fame, Influence, and Foreshadowing

<ulmp5r$7ms$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=745&group=news.groups#745

From: pschl...@panix.com (Paul W. Schleck)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet,alt.culture.usenet,news.groups
Subject: Usenet Newsgroups Part III - Founding, Fame, Influence, and Foreshadowing
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 12:22:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Paul W. Schleck - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 12:22 UTC

"Table of Contents:

- Salad Days - 1979 to 1990
- The Rise of News Groups and the Breaking of Norms - 1990 to 1996
- The Green Card Lawyers Destroy it All
- Waiting for Facebook or Something Like It - 1996-2008
- Porn, Death, and the Ashes - 2008 onward
- Usenet Newsgroups Today"

https://tagn.wordpress.com/2023/12/10/usenet-newsgroups-part-iii-founding-fame-influence-and-foreshadowing/

Re: Usenet Newsgroups Part III - Founding, Fame, Influence, and Foreshadowing

<QYESPYsZTZnJlcnXaydlHsHqraNXAAdM@news.usenet.farm>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=746&group=news.groups#746

Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet,alt.culture.usenet,news.groups
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 23 05:39:02 UTC
From: d...@ray (D. Ray)
 by: D. Ray - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 05:39 UTC

Paul W. Schleck <pschleck@panix.com> wrote:
> "Table of Contents:
>
> - Salad Days - 1979 to 1990
> - The Rise of News Groups and the Breaking of Norms - 1990 to 1996
> - The Green Card Lawyers Destroy it All
> - Waiting for Facebook or Something Like It - 1996-2008
> - Porn, Death, and the Ashes - 2008 onward
> - Usenet Newsgroups Today"
>

> https://tagn.wordpress.com/2023/12/10/usenet-newsgroups-part-iii-founding-fame-influence-and-foreshadowing/

https://archive.ph/C2Wmj

Re: Usenet Newsgroups Part II - What is on that CD and Why Your Hard Drive isn't a Database

<zndvsPLaUTesaztUOxJjDDSXYcRBmCEy@news.usenet.farm>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=747&group=news.groups#747

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 23 05:39:03 UTC
From: d...@ray (D. Ray)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.usenet,alt.culture.usenet,news.groups
 by: D. Ray - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 05:39 UTC

Paul W. Schleck <pschleck@panix.com> wrote:
> "But this was how it was done back in 1979 when they put all of this
> together. And not just for Usenet. Early email server storage was the
> same way, with every email being a single file on the drive in a
> directory that indicated the user name of the owner/recipient. Or
> something like that. I used to have the SRI Guide to internet
> configurations from 1992, but I am pretty sure that got tossed. (Also,
> SRI will come up again in a later post.) But there is still some history
> out there if you are interested.
>
> It was okay at the time. The internet was small. There was a limited
> number of users. And the UNIX machines driving all of this were among
> the most capable around and were largely funded directly or indirectly
> by government research grants.
>
> Anyway, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Later, it had to get
> fixed and the committee driving all of this came up with a method that
> did not litter your drive with hundreds of thousands of tiny files
> taking up more space than they should. But that came later after it was
> practically a crisis and hosting Usenet was a durability test."
>

> https://tagn.wordpress.com/2023/12/03/usenet-newsgroups-part-ii-what-is-on-that-cd-and-why-your-hard-drive-isnt-a-database/

https://archive.ph/kIe1O

Re: Usenet Newsgroups Part I - I find some Usenet Archives on CD-ROM

<vWPYSTLxtyOYXXMPZyGfJgQuIiMeJRsf@news.usenet.farm>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=748&group=news.groups#748

From: d...@ray (D. Ray)