From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsswervers,news.software.nntp,news.admin.peering
Subject: Finding the Message-ID from a Dejanews Google Search Archivew result
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 20:28:12 +0100
 by: wasbit - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:28 UTC

How can I find the message id of a very old article which has long ago
expired in my news feed & on the news server but which I can find on a
google search?

Google's dejanews no longer allows the original message (with headers) to
be viewed (at least forthose like me who don't have a Google account).

Howard Knight requires the message id in order to reference an article but
if you don't have that message id of the ancient article, how can you get
it?

Re: Finding the Message-ID from a Dejanews Google Search Archivew result

<t4fpli$844$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=745&group=news.software.nntp#745

From: jsev...@mailfence.com (Jason Evans)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Finding the Message-ID from a Dejanews Google Search Archivew
result
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 04:30:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jason Evans - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 04:30 UTC

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 20:28:12 +0100, wasbit wrote:

> How can I find the message id of a very old article which has long ago
> expired in my news feed & on the news server but which I can find on a
> google search?

It depends on how old the article is. Some Usenet providers go back to
~2003 and archive.org goes from the 80s's-90's to around 2003. If you know
the sender, the group, and something like the subject line, you may be
able to find the original article.

Jason

Re: Finding the Message-ID from a Dejanews Google Search Archivew result

<nsn.20220430115749.733@scatha.ancalagon.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=747&group=news.software.nntp#747

From: thh...@thh.name (Thomas Hochstein)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:57:51 +0200
 by: Thomas Hochstein - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:57 UTC

wasbit wrote:

> How can I find the message id of a very old article which has long ago
> expired in my news feed & on the news server but which I can find on a
> google search?

You can't anymore because of that:

> Google's dejanews no longer allows the original message (with headers) to
> be viewed

-thh

Re: Finding the Message-ID from a Dejanews Google Search Archivew result

<t4jdfe.9n4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=748&group=news.software.nntp#748

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsswervers,news.software.nntp,news.admin.peering
Date: 30 Apr 2022 11:48:55 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:48 UTC

wasbit <wasbitREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:
> How can I find the message id of a very old article which has long ago
> expired in my news feed & on the news server but which I can find on a
> google search?
>
> Google's dejanews no longer allows the original message (with headers) to
> be viewed (at least forthose like me who don't have a Google account).

It's of course your choice, but it isn't too hard to create a fake
Google Account which shouldn't be traceable to you. Last time I did
that - just as a proof of concept -, I was Santa Claus.

> Howard Knight requires the message id in order to reference an article but
> if you don't have that message id of the ancient article, how can you get
> it?

Re: Finding the Message-ID from a Dejanews Google Search Archivew result

<t4jcnu$4ar$1@remote6hme0.ripco.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=749&group=news.software.nntp#749

From: bje...@ripco.com
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsswervers,news.software.nntp,news.admin.peering
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:14:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bje...@ripco.com - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:14 UTC

In news.software.nntp wasbit <wasbitREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:
> How can I find the message id of a very old article which has long ago
> expired in my news feed & on the news server but which I can find on a
> google search?

Why don't you quit playing Secret Squirrel and tell us the name of the
newsgroup and approximate time frame.

Deja is gone, it's not coming back and google sanitized everything where
finding what you seek is just not going to happen.

Depending on the hierarchy and group, there might be a public or private or
semi-private server where they archive the posts going back to who knows
when in an untampered format.

-bruce
bje@ripco.com

Re: Finding the Message-ID from a Dejanews Google Search Archivew result

<t4kgpa$af1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=750&group=news.software.nntp#750

Followup: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp,news.admin.peering
From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.software.nntp,news.admin.peering
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 01:30:05 +0200
 by: wasbit - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:30 UTC

<bje@ripco.com> wrote in message news:t4jcnu$4ar$1@remote6hme0.ripco.com...

> Why don't you quit playing Secret Squirrel and tell us the name of the
> newsgroup and approximate time frame.

I don't know the name of the newsgroup any more than I know what the secret
squirrel game is. It's a general question for when I find articles on a
google search that I want to respond to.

> Deja is gone, it's not coming back and google sanitized everything where
> finding what you seek is just not going to happen.

It's only recently Google removed the option to show original so it has
nothing to do with dejanews that Google removed it in the last few months.

> Depending on the hierarchy and group, there might be a public or private or
> semi-private server where they archive the posts going back to who knows
> when in an untampered format.

That's how I find the articles that I want to respond to but I'm not a
member of those forums which is why I want to respond using the message id
in the References: line.
--
Regards
wasbit