Aren't you glad you're not getting all the government you pay for now?

devel / comp.sys.cbm / Re: When will ROR happen? A healthy dose of paranoia

SubjectAuthor
* When will ROR happen? A healthy dose of paranoiaKalevi Kolttonen
`* Re: When will ROR happen? A healthy dose of paranoiaAndreas Kohlbach
 `* Re: When will ROR happen? A healthy dose of paranoiaKalevi Kolttonen
  +* Re: When will ROR happen? A healthy dose of paranoiaKenzo
  |`- Re: When will ROR happen? A healthy dose of paranoiaKalevi Kolttonen
  `- Re: When will ROR happen? A healthy dose of paranoiaMerman

1
When will ROR happen? A healthy dose of paranoia

<uqthqm$1cqdl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=747&group=comp.sys.cbm#747

From: kal...@kolttonen.fi (Kalevi Kolttonen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm
Subject: When will ROR happen? A healthy dose of paranoia
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:21:10 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: <untosten@0.0.0.0>
 by: Kalevi Kolttonen - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:21 UTC

Hello there!

The so-called Woke folks are keen on banning
music and movies that we like. I'm now wondering
when will the ROR movement happen?

"ROR" stands for "Restore Our Rights" and could
be the battle cry of the Copyright Mafia. The
ROR folks might join forces with The Woke
movement and start persecuting retrogaming fans.

Did you know that Copyright for Mickey Mouse
has now expired and companies like Disney do not
like that at all?

ROR could demand that Copyrights should be made
to last forever. This means that all those 1980s
retrogames would also be copyrighted infinitely.

For the past 24 years, I have put considerable
effort to acquiring original retrogames. I started
with just Commodore 64 games, but have since expanded
a little bit to other 8-bit platforms too.

If ROR will indeed happen in the future, I am well
prepared. I can claim ownership to my games since
I have the original media stored in my closet.

But many retrogamers have just leeched copies from the
Internet and they do not have the originals. ROR folks
would target precisely those retrogamers, effectively
making them criminals for playing 8-bit games from the
1980s.

I am not saying that ROR is likely to happen, but
seeing that Woke has gone completely crazy, it is
possible.

br,
KK

Re: When will ROR happen? A healthy dose of paranoia

<87h6i5idz2.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=748&group=comp.sys.cbm#748

From: ank...@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm
Subject: Re: When will ROR happen? A healthy dose of paranoia
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 17:50:41 -0500
sha1:UM8dRzNzZNDdEXYoULVkdbtKosc=
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 22:50 UTC

On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:21:10 -0000 (UTC), Kalevi Kolttonen wrote:

> The so-called Woke folks are keen on banning
> music and movies that we like. I'm now wondering
> when will the ROR movement happen?

It was supposed to happen 1975 with the introduction of the 6502, but
then didn't happen due to a bug. Thus it happened early 1976 in a
revision of said CPU.

> "ROR" stands for "Restore Our Rights" and could
> be the battle cry of the Copyright Mafia.

No, it stands for ROtate (bits) Right.

> The ROR folks might join forces with The Woke movement and start
> persecuting retrogaming fans.

Commodore didn't knew what woke means.

> Did you know that Copyright for Mickey Mouse
> has now expired and companies like Disney do not
> like that at all?

Oh, you're not talking about CPUs. ;-)

Well I don't know for "Restore Our Rights". They'd probably need to have
the power to change expiration laws. As far as I can tell not even the
mighty Disney company was able to prevent Steamboat Willy from falling
into public domain earlier this year.
--
Andreas

Re: When will ROR happen? A healthy dose of paranoia

<uqvn1m$1t94c$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=749&group=comp.sys.cbm#749

From: kal...@kolttonen.fi (Kalevi Kolttonen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 14:02:30 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: <untosten@0.0.0.0>
 by: Kalevi Kolttonen - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 14:02 UTC

Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net> wrote:
> Well I don't know for "Restore Our Rights". They'd probably need to have
> the power to change expiration laws. As far as I can tell not even the
> mighty Disney company was able to prevent Steamboat Willy from falling
> into public domain earlier this year.

It is admittedly a good sign that Mickey Mouse
is now in public domain, despite Disney Company's
contrary wishes. The Copyright lasted for 95 years.

However,remember that many things are going quite
crazy now. Disney has banned at least two Don Rosa
comics:

https://www.cbr.com/disney-bans-don-rosa-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-stories/

A couple of weeks ago I heard that one Carl Barks
story is banned, too. That story involves some kind
of a zombie.

br,
KK

Re: When will ROR happen? A healthy dose of paranoia

<d3aec369-7b3e-4ebf-92ab-e3492c56dc4an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=750&group=comp.sys.cbm#750

Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 07:28:07 -0800 (PST)
From: kjambr...@gmail.com (Kenzo)
 by: Kenzo - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 15:28 UTC

On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 6:02:32 AM UTC-8, Kalevi Kolttonen wrote:
> Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> wrote:
> > Well I don't know for "Restore Our Rights". They'd probably need to have
> > the power to change expiration laws. As far as I can tell not even the
> > mighty Disney company was able to prevent Steamboat Willy from falling
> > into public domain earlier this year.
> It is admittedly a good sign that Mickey Mouse
> is now in public domain, despite Disney Company's
> contrary wishes. The Copyright lasted for 95 years.
>
> However,remember that many things are going quite
> crazy now. Disney has banned at least two Don Rosa
> comics:
>
> https://www.cbr.com/disney-bans-don-rosa-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-stories/
>
> A couple of weeks ago I heard that one Carl Barks
> story is banned, too. That story involves some kind
> of a zombie.
>
> br,
> KK
And don't forget to wear your aluminum foil hat to protect from those alien mind probes! And even more important, aluminum foil underwear to prevent those alien port probes too!

Re: When will ROR happen? A healthy dose of paranoia

<ur03qb$20425$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=752&group=comp.sys.cbm#752

From: kal...@kolttonen.fi (Kalevi Kolttonen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 17:40:27 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: <untosten@0.0.0.0>
 by: Kalevi Kolttonen - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 17:40 UTC

Kenzo <kjambrose@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 6:02:32 AM UTC-8, Kalevi Kolttonen wrote:
>> Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> wrote:
>> > Well I don't know for "Restore Our Rights". They'd probably need to have
>> > the power to change expiration laws. As far as I can tell not even the
>> > mighty Disney company was able to prevent Steamboat Willy from falling
>> > into public domain earlier this year.
>> It is admittedly a good sign that Mickey Mouse
>> is now in public domain, despite Disney Company's
>> contrary wishes. The Copyright lasted for 95 years.
>>
>> However,remember that many things are going quite
>> crazy now. Disney has banned at least two Don Rosa
>> comics:
>>
>> https://www.cbr.com/disney-bans-don-rosa-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-stories/
>>
>> A couple of weeks ago I heard that one Carl Barks
>> story is banned, too. That story involves some kind
>> of a zombie.
>>
>> br,
>> KK
> And don't forget to wear your aluminum foil hat to
> protect from those alien mind probes! And even
> more important, aluminum foil underwear to prevent those alien port probes too!

Did you follow the link I posted? Disney company has
banned two of Don Rosa's comics stories, refusing to
release them ever again. Carl Barks, the duck master,
has suffered a similar fate.

The Woke folks now ban movies, music and comics. It
does not stop here.

br,
KK

Re: When will ROR happen? A healthy dose of paranoia

<bf474c43-55da-4de6-81d1-ec45f854fb01n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=754&group=comp.sys.cbm#754

Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 08:34:00 -0800 (PST)
From: andrewrf...@yahoo.com (Merman)
 by: Merman - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 16:34 UTC

On Monday 19 February 2024 at 14:02:32 UTC, Kalevi Kolttonen wrote:
> Andreas Kohlbach <a...@spamfence.net> wrote:
> > Well I don't know for "Restore Our Rights". They'd probably need to have
> > the power to change expiration laws. As far as I can tell not even the
> > mighty Disney company was able to prevent Steamboat Willy from falling
> > into public domain earlier this year.
> It is admittedly a good sign that Mickey Mouse
> is now in public domain, despite Disney Company's
> contrary wishes. The Copyright lasted for 95 years.
>
> However,remember that many things are going quite
> crazy now. Disney has banned at least two Don Rosa
> comics:
>
> https://www.cbr.com/disney-bans-don-rosa-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-stories/
>
> A couple of weeks ago I heard that one Carl Barks
> story is banned, too. That story involves some kind
> of a zombie.
>
> br,
> KK

Mickey Mouse as a character and overall design is NOT in the public domain - Mickey's appearance as Steamboat Willie is now over the 90/100 years copyright limit and can be used in media. Just that, the black-and-white look of the character in that single film.

However, Disney still has a huge array of lawyers ready to pounce on anyone infringing the "trademarks" it has in Mickey - the shape of his ears, his silhouette, other costumes still under copyright/trademark and so on.

It's got nothing to do with woke. Legally you are on very unsteady ground if you make any attempt to copy Mickey Mouse full stop.