"Aww, if you make me cry anymore, you'll fog up my helmet." -- "Visionaries" cartoon

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ correct criteria ][ Ben is lost! ]

SubjectAuthor
* Clarification of Linz Ĥ Descriptionolcott
+* Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description (V2)olcott
|`* Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description (V2)olcott
| +* Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description (V2)olcott
| |+- Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description (V2)olcott
| |+* Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description (V2)olcott
| ||`- Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description (V2)Jeff Barnett
| |+* Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description (V2)olcott
| ||`- Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description (V2)olcott
| |`- Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description (V2)olcott
| `- Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description (V2)olcott
+* Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Descriptionolcott
|+- Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ Are weolcott
|+- Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ Are weolcott
|`* Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ Are we there yet ? ] (V2)olcott
| `- Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ Are we thDon Stockbauer
`* Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ untainolcott
 `* Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ correcolcott
  `* Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ correcolcott
   +* Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ correcolcott
   |`* Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ correcolcott
   | `- Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ correct criteria ][ André is lost? ]olcott
   `* Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ correcolcott
    `* Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ correcolcott
     +- Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ correcJeff Barnett
     `- Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ correcolcott

Pages:12
Re: Clarification of Linz Ĥ Description [ correct criteria ][ Ben is lost! ]

<duOdneM5KLouzur8nZ2dnUU7-LPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7503&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7503

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 20:02:42 -0500
Subject: Re:_Clarification_of_Linz_Ĥ_Description_[_correc
t_criteria_][_Ben_is_lost!_]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,alt.philosophy
<8735ozcg6i.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <oImdnRTPm7M7EPD8nZ2dnUU7-SHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87lf2qaqiw.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <u5idnZrhDpNNTPP8nZ2dnUU78TOdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<875ytt9cog.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <vNKdnSJxmdldYPP8nZ2dnUU7-L_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87ee8g8p8v.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <dI6dndhMstL3ve38nZ2dnUU7-VPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87pmrz6ybz.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <AcadnRcXg-mALu38nZ2dnUU7-TnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87h7db6tv9.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <5aOdnb7RJsdqUO38nZ2dnUU7-V3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87bl3i7lu4.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <kPudnRhQCMvy7uz8nZ2dnUU7-LHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87v91p6btt.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <5dSdnaybIud0v-_8nZ2dnUU78LHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<877de44npj.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <IM-dnZeda7r5EO78nZ2dnUU7-c3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87k0i22e6q.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <eZudnYySvu2oXuv8nZ2dnUU7-I3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87fsso1ul2.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 01:02 UTC

On 10/25/2021 7:46 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> You are being dishonest again. Setting aside the silly religious
>>> language, I am not asserting that any argument is infallible something
>>> that was obvious from what I wrote immediate after this.
>>> I am simply saying you have not shown any error in the argument. Until
>>> you show that, for example, 2+2 is not equal to 4, it is entirely
>>> reasonable to assert that it is. That is not blasphemy.
>>
>> I don't see how this is so difficult for you:
>> (a) If it is claimed that X cannot possibly be done
>> (b) I show X being correctly done
>> (c) then I have refuted X cannot possibly be done
>
> I don't think you honestly believe that the logic is difficult for me.

The alternative is that you are a liar and I prefer to give you the
benefit of the doubt.

> Neither do I think you have trouble knowing what part I am saying you
> have failed at (it's (b) by the way).

We have not gotten to B yet.
First we must have mutual agreement on the hypothetical.

Here is the long form of the hypothetical:

THIS STATEMENT IS NECESSARILY ALWAYS TRUE
Whenever simulating halt decider H correctly determines that input P
never reaches its final state (whether or not its simulation of P is
aborted) then H correctly decides that P never halts.

> But my objection to what you've been saying goes my deeper than a
> failure to show anything of value. You are being dishonest in that you
> claim to be talking about Linz's class of TMs, but you keep cutting key
> facts about them while trying to replace those facts with waffle of you
> your own invention.

THIS IS THE SHORT VERSION OF THE HYPOTHETICAL
If a halt decider correctly decides that its input never halts then the
halt decider did correct decide the halt status of its input.

You talk about me being dishonest when you continually refuse to agree
that when a halt decider is correct then it is not incorrect.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein