Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Question about Copy and Paste

SubjectAuthor
* Question about Copy and PasteNic
+* Re: Question about Copy and PasteBig Al
|`* Re: Question about Copy and PasteNic
| `* Re: Question about Copy and PasteBig Al
|  `* Re: Question about Copy and PasteNic
|   +- Re: Question about Copy and PasteBig Al
|   `- Re: Question about Copy and PastePaul
+* Re: Question about Copy and PasteArti F. Idiot
|`* Re: Question about Copy and PasteNic
| +* Re: Question about Copy and PasteBig Al
| |+* Re: Question about Copy and PasteNic
| ||`- Re: Question about Copy and PasteGordon
| |`* Re: Question about Copy and PasteGordon
| | +* Re: Question about Copy and PasteNic
| | |+* Re: Question about Copy and PasteBig Al
| | |`- Re: Question about Copy and Pastepinnerite
| | `- Re: Question about Copy and PasteArti F. Idiot
| `* Re: Question about Copy and PasteArti F. Idiot
|  `* Re: Question about Copy and PasteNic
|   `* Re: Question about Copy and PastePaul
|    `- Re: Question about Copy and PasteDan Purgert
`* Re: Question about Copy and PasteBubba the Corn Dog
 +- Re: Question about Copy and PasteDan Purgert
 `* Re: Question about Copy and PasteNic
  +* Re: Question about Copy and PastePaul
  |`* Re: Question about Copy and PasteNic
  | `- Re: Question about Copy and PastePaul
  `- Re: Question about Copy and PasteKilladebug

Pages:12
Re: Question about Copy and Paste

<uough3$2es7l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7506&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7506

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Question about Copy and Paste
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:32:35 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:32 UTC

On 1/25/2024 10:57 AM, Nic wrote:
> On 1/25/24 9:48 AM, Bubba the Corn Dog wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 13:14:18 -0500, Nic wrote:
>>
>>> Has any body an explanation why when I copy 40 gb of video files to a
>>> usb hard drive that is plugged in to a powered usb hub takes over an
>>> hour to copy while using a software called FreeFileSync only takes 5
>>> minutes.
>>>
>>> I am using NEMO as my file manager to copy from one drive to another. I
>>> suspect that my file manager may not be a good way to copy large amounts
>>> of files.
>> Just for shits and giggles I plugged in an external 240GB Seagate HDD into
>> a USB 3.1 port on my pc and copied 125GB of data to it using Nemo, elapsed
>> time 14 mins 35 secs. I did it again using Double Commander, elapsed time
>> 14 mins 10 secs. OP issue might be the USB hub, not saying it is the
>> problem.
> It could be, but for the fact that the same hardware when used with FreeFileSync showed a great improvement in speed.

Out of curiosity, how did you install it ?

Paul

Re: Question about Copy and Paste

<N3AsN.168393$yEgf.168274@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7507&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7507

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.invalid (Nic)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:06:53 -0500
 by: Nic - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 21:06 UTC

On 1/25/24 3:32 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 1/25/2024 10:57 AM, Nic wrote:

>>> Just for shits and giggles I plugged in an external 240GB Seagate HDD into
>>> a USB 3.1 port on my pc and copied 125GB of data to it using Nemo, elapsed
>>> time 14 mins 35 secs. I did it again using Double Commander, elapsed time
>>> 14 mins 10 secs. OP issue might be the USB hub, not saying it is the
>>> problem.
>> It could be, but for the fact that the same hardware when used with FreeFileSync showed a great improvement in speed.
> Out of curiosity, how did you install it ?
>
> Paul
I d/l and un-archived the file FreeFileSync_13.2_Install.run

Re: Question about Copy and Paste

<uourgf$2fvul$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7508&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7508

From: killade...@mouse-potato.com (Killadebug)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 23:39:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Killadebug - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 23:39 UTC

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 10:57:52 -0500, Nic wrote:

> On 1/25/24 9:48 AM, Bubba the Corn Dog wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 13:14:18 -0500, Nic wrote:
>>
>>> Has any body an explanation why when I copy 40 gb of video files to a
>>> usb hard drive that is plugged in to a powered usb hub takes over an
>>> hour to copy while using a software called FreeFileSync only takes 5
>>> minutes.
>>>
>>> I am using NEMO as my file manager to copy from one drive to another.
>>> I suspect that my file manager may not be a good way to copy large
>>> amounts of files.
>> Just for shits and giggles I plugged in an external 240GB Seagate HDD
>> into a USB 3.1 port on my pc and copied 125GB of data to it using Nemo,
>> elapsed time 14 mins 35 secs. I did it again using Double Commander,
>> elapsed time 14 mins 10 secs. OP issue might be the USB hub, not saying
>> it is the problem.
> It could be, but for the fact that the same hardware when used with
> FreeFileSync showed a great improvement in speed.

I also tried the same copy using FreeFileSync ver 13.3 and it is installed
via Flatpak. The copy elapsed time was 17 min 9 secs. The Seagate HDD is a
very old SATA drive from 2010.

--
Pull my finger

Re: Question about Copy and Paste

<up0q3u$2v1us$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7514&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7514

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:28:28 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:28 UTC

On 1/25/2024 4:06 PM, Nic wrote:
> On 1/25/24 3:32 PM, Paul wrote:

>>> It could be, but for the fact that the same hardware when used with FreeFileSync showed a great improvement in speed.
>> Out of curiosity, how did you install it ?
>>
>>     Paul
> I d/l and un-archived the file FreeFileSync_13.2_Install.run

I gave it a try, and FreeFileSync got 4.75GB/sec while Nemo got 6.4GB/sec.

Using gnome-system-monitor, a rough guess is that both ran on one core,
for the bulk of the transfer. The transfer was around ten 6GB MP4 files.

I could not test with my USB stick, because the spare one is acting up
and not running at the normal rate. It would have taken my USB stick
half the day to run this test.

There is a "performance" setting where the user can select the
degree of parallelism. It is user responsibility to know that
hard drives don't do well with it, while flash devices might. The
user manual claims this is mostly for network connections (defeating
a bandwidth limiter perhaps). But you might find that parallelism
works with your new PCIe Rev5 NVMe stick (14GB/sec max).

Traditionally, file managers do not attempt to use parallelism.
But an improvement over the years, was the ability to open
multiple file transfer windows, have one do a>b and a second
do c>d and then the machine does more work in the same period
of time.

If you go back further in time, file transfer operations were
so crappy, that the CPU stopped doing everything else and
just did your single file transfer. Look at the progress we've made :-)

of a Performance setting and the right kind of storage devices
to do it. The software has a user manual. A bit more fragmentation
of the destination device, could be a side-effect of using parallelism.

Name: User Manual.pdf
Size: 1,177,367 bytes (1149 KiB)
SHA1: DC8DE3D68F722EBBD494EFE248C3A783FD8391C6

Paul