Life's the same, except for the shoes. -- The Cars

computers / comp.sys.raspberry-pi / Re: Bookworm - help

SubjectAuthor
* Bookworm - helpBob Latham
`* Re: Bookworm - helpKnute Johnson
 `* Re: Bookworm - helpBob Latham
  +* Re: Bookworm - helpThe Natural Philosopher
  |`* Re: Bookworm - helpBob Latham
  | +* Re: Bookworm - helpThe Natural Philosopher
  | |`* Re: Bookworm - helpBob Latham
  | | `* Re: Bookworm - helpThe Natural Philosopher
  | |  +- Re: Bookworm - helpBob Latham
  | |  `- Re: Bookworm - helpBob Latham
  | `* Re: Bookworm - helpBob Latham
  |  +- Re: Bookworm - helpThe Natural Philosopher
  |  `* Re: Bookworm - helpKnute Johnson
  |   +- Re: Bookworm - helpThe Natural Philosopher
  |   `- Re: Bookworm - helpBob Latham
  `* Re: Bookworm - helpRichard Kettlewell
   `* Re: Bookworm - helpBob Latham
    +* Re: Bookworm - helpChris Elvidge
    |`- Re: Bookworm - helpBob Latham
    `* Re: Bookworm - helpRichard Kettlewell
     `* Re: Bookworm - helpBob Latham
      `- Re: Bookworm - helpThe Natural Philosopher

1
Bookworm - help

<5af2bdaba5bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7553&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7553

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Bookworm - help
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 15:22:11 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 14:22 UTC

I've been trying to build my music player with the new bookworm 32
bit lite OS. I've been building these players for some years but it
seems bookworm has at the very least broken my notes and my players
no longer work.

I've noticed that:
Files cmdline.txt and config.txt have been moved from /boot to
/boot/firmware. I found that and hopefully that's one issue I've
sorted myself.

The whole directory /bin and its contents have been removed.

My player used /bin/systemd so obviously that can't work anymore.
I've searched the pi for that file (systemd) but it's just not there.

I've looked through the release notes, no mention of missing /bin and
only 1 mention of systemd and that doesn't help me at all.

I've been googling for info on /bin missing and systemd changes but
it's just as though there is no issue, there's no helpful information
anywhere on this, at least I cannot find it.

Any advice help appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob.

Re: Bookworm - help

<ugbku9$37rtn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7555&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7555

From: knute2...@585ranch.com (Knute Johnson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Subject: Re: Bookworm - help
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 09:41:13 -0500
 by: Knute Johnson - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 14:41 UTC

On 10/13/23 09:22, Bob Latham wrote:
> I've been trying to build my music player with the new bookworm 32
> bit lite OS. I've been building these players for some years but it
> seems bookworm has at the very least broken my notes and my players
> no longer work.
>
> I've noticed that:
> Files cmdline.txt and config.txt have been moved from /boot to
> /boot/firmware. I found that and hopefully that's one issue I've
> sorted myself.
>
> The whole directory /bin and its contents have been removed.
>
> My player used /bin/systemd so obviously that can't work anymore.
> I've searched the pi for that file (systemd) but it's just not there.
>
> I've looked through the release notes, no mention of missing /bin and
> only 1 mention of systemd and that doesn't help me at all.
>
> I've been googling for info on /bin missing and systemd changes but
> it's just as though there is no issue, there's no helpful information
> anywhere on this, at least I cannot find it.
>
> Any advice help appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob.

Looking at my Bookworm lite:

/bin is a link to /usr/bin
/bin/systemd is a link to /lib/systemd/systemd
/boot/config.txt is a link to /boot/firmware/config.txt
same with cmdline.txt

None of which should matter to you. Just reference them as always.

--

Knute Johnson

Re: Bookworm - help

<5af2ca67e3bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7559&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7559

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 17:41:17 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 16:41 UTC

In article <ugbku9$37rtn$1@dont-email.me>,
Knute Johnson <knute2023@585ranch.com> wrote:

I very much appreciate your help but I just don't understand. Sorry
I'm thick.

> Looking at my Bookworm lite:

> /bin is a link to /usr/bin

But /bin doesn't exist!
How can something that doesn't exist be a link to anything?

The directory /bin used to have a file in it called systemd. The
instructions to build a player tells me to add "init=/bin/systemd" to
/boot/cmdline.txt.

I don't understand how that can work when neither /bin or the file
systemd exist. I looked inside /usr/bin and there is no file in there
called 'systemd' either. Very similar names yes but not just systemd
so I cannot point the instruction there either.

> /bin/systemd is a link to /lib/systemd/systemd

> /boot/config.txt is a link to /boot/firmware/config.txt
> same with cmdline.txt

Again I don't understand your use of the work "link". It looks to me
as though the two files /boot/config.txt and /boot/cmdline.txt have
been moved to a new directory at /boot/firmware/. That's the only
thing I thought I understood. Am I wrong? Is there more to it?

> None of which should matter to you.

I have no comprehension at all why that is so.
During player construction I had to issue a command:
sudo /home/pi/mediaplayer/run.sh
Under previous OS that kicked things off, now nothing happens.
The player no longer works at all.

> Just reference them as always.

Sorry, but I don't know what that means either.

How can I reference something that doesn't exist?

Thanks for trying to help me.

Bob.

Re: Bookworm - help

<ugbsjh$39gl1$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7560&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7560

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 17:52:01 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 16:52 UTC

On 13/10/2023 17:41, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <ugbku9$37rtn$1@dont-email.me>,
> Knute Johnson <knute2023@585ranch.com> wrote:
>

> I very much appreciate your help but I just don't understand. Sorry
> I'm thick.
>
>> Looking at my Bookworm lite:
>
>> /bin is a link to /usr/bin
>
> But /bin doesn't exist!

then something is awry in your installation.
If its even a cut downm linux thsi is what you should see

$ls -l /
total 60
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 May 3 01:04 bin -> usr/bin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jan 1 1970 boot
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root 3680 Sep 17 15:36 dev
drwxr-xr-x 91 root root 4096 Sep 16 22:27 etc
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jul 27 10:17 home
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 May 3 01:04 lib -> usr/lib
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 May 3 01:25 lost+found
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 3 01:04 media
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 3 01:04 mnt
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 3 01:04 opt
dr-xr-xr-x 162 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 proc
drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Oct 5 00:08 root
drwxr-xr-x 26 root root 800 Oct 13 17:50 run
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 May 3 01:04 sbin -> usr/sbin
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 3 01:04 srv
dr-xr-xr-x 12 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 sys
drwxrwxrwt 11 root root 4096 Oct 13 17:39 tmp
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 May 3 01:04 usr
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 Aug 1 10:39 var

etc
> How can something that doesn't exist be a link to anything?

Well obviously it cant

> The directory /bin used to have a file in it called systemd. The
> instructions to build a player tells me to add "init=/bin/systemd" to
> /boot/cmdline.txt.
>
> I don't understand how that can work when neither /bin or the file
> systemd exist. I looked inside /usr/bin and there is no file in there
> called 'systemd' either. Very similar names yes but not just systemd
> so I cannot point the instruction there either.
>
>> /bin/systemd is a link to /lib/systemd/systemd
>
>> /boot/config.txt is a link to /boot/firmware/config.txt
>> same with cmdline.txt
>
> Again I don't understand your use of the work "link". It looks to me
> as though the two files /boot/config.txt and /boot/cmdline.txt have
> been moved to a new directory at /boot/firmware/. That's the only
> thing I thought I understood. Am I wrong? Is there more to it?
>
>> None of which should matter to you.
>
> I have no comprehension at all why that is so.
> During player construction I had to issue a command:
> sudo /home/pi/mediaplayer/run.sh
> Under previous OS that kicked things off, now nothing happens.
> The player no longer works at all.
>
>> Just reference them as always.
>
> Sorry, but I don't know what that means either.
>
> How can I reference something that doesn't exist?

Become a christian?

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.

Re: Bookworm - help

<5af2d290d0bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7561&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7561

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 19:10:25 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 18:10 UTC

In article <ugbsjh$39gl1$5@dont-email.me>,
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 13/10/2023 17:41, Bob Latham wrote:

> > But /bin doesn't exist!

> then something is awry in your installation.
> If its even a cut downm linux thsi is what you should see

Thank you for that, I so hope you're right and it gives me something
to work on. Thank you.

My bookworm does not have the following directories.

/bin
/lib
/sbin

<builds new card>
Its' the same!!

That's looking from samba.

However, copying what you did - ls -l, then I get these:

bin -> usr/bin
lib -> usr/lib
sbin -> usr/sbin

I would never, ever have found that without help.

It leaves fully baffled as how I adapt the build procedure to this
complication and indeed my whole method of doing things looks broken
as I do almost everything via samba and that's been taken off me by
the looks of it.

I did fully carry out the build earlier today and of course it didn't
work at all. With such changes I cannot imagine where or how to start
working out what to do. Nothing makes any sense to me now.

Frankly, I'm stuffed.

Thanks.

Bob.

Re: Bookworm - help

<ugc2ad$3b8jb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7562&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7562

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 19:29:33 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 18:29 UTC

On 13/10/2023 19:10, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <ugbsjh$39gl1$5@dont-email.me>,
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 13/10/2023 17:41, Bob Latham wrote:
>
>>> But /bin doesn't exist!
>
>> then something is awry in your installation.
>> If its even a cut downm linux thsi is what you should see
>
> Thank you for that, I so hope you're right and it gives me something
> to work on. Thank you.
>
> My bookworm does not have the following directories.
>
> /bin
> /lib
> /sbin
>
> <builds new card>
> Its' the same!!
>
> That's looking from samba.
>
> However, copying what you did - ls -l, then I get these:
>
> bin -> usr/bin
> lib -> usr/lib
> sbin -> usr/sbin
>
> I would never, ever have found that without help.
>
> It leaves fully baffled as how I adapt the build procedure to this
> complication and indeed my whole method of doing things looks broken
> as I do almost everything via samba and that's been taken off me by
> the looks of it.
>
> I did fully carry out the build earlier today and of course it didn't
> work at all. With such changes I cannot imagine where or how to start
> working out what to do. Nothing makes any sense to me now.
>
> Frankly, I'm stuffed.

Ah. Finally I understand.

Samba by default does NOT FOLLOW OR REVEAL SYMLINKS

I have the same issues with NFS.

A 5 second google netted this, Try it

Edit smb.conf

[global]
unix extensions = no

[share]
follow symlinks = yes
wide links = yes

Note: If you're using a newer version of samba the following may work
for you instead:

[global]
allow insecure wide links = yes

[share]
follow symlinks = yes
wide links = yes

> Thanks.
>
> Bob.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal

Re: Bookworm - help

<5af2d53abcbob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7563&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7563

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 19:39:31 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 18:39 UTC

In article <5af2d290d0bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>,
Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:

> bin -> usr/bin
> lib -> usr/lib
> sbin -> usr/sbin

If I take one example and see if someone can give me another clue.
Please. Perhaps one example will give some scooby of some sorts.

The instructions for the music player say:

Edit /boot/cmdline.txt and add to the end of it " init=/bin/systemd".

Now under the previous OS this worked fine for years but there was a
file: /bin/systemd

So I've worked out (I think) that that file is now
/boot/firmware/cmdline.txt and I found the file and amended it as
instructed.

But now there is no such file and worse there is no file
/usr/bin/systemd either.

What do I do?

Bob.

Re: Bookworm - help

<ugc3ck$3bl3j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7564&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7564

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 19:47:48 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 18:47 UTC

On 13/10/2023 19:39, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <5af2d290d0bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>,
> Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> bin -> usr/bin
>> lib -> usr/lib
>> sbin -> usr/sbin
>
> If I take one example and see if someone can give me another clue.
> Please. Perhaps one example will give some scooby of some sorts.
>
> The instructions for the music player say:
>
> Edit /boot/cmdline.txt and add to the end of it " init=/bin/systemd".
>
> Now under the previous OS this worked fine for years but there was a
> file: /bin/systemd
>
> So I've worked out (I think) that that file is now
> /boot/firmware/cmdline.txt and I found the file and amended it as
> instructed.
>
> But now there is no such file and worse there is no file
> /usr/bin/systemd either.
>

> What do I do?

recognise that what you are seeing via samba is not all that is there.
Go in as a user with a shell using e.g,. putty and look at what is
*really* there

--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.”

Thomas Sowell

Re: Bookworm - help

<ugc3cq$3biks$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7565&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7565

From: knute2...@585ranch.com (Knute Johnson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 13:47:54 -0500
 by: Knute Johnson - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 18:47 UTC

On 10/13/23 13:39, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <5af2d290d0bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>,
> Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> bin -> usr/bin
>> lib -> usr/lib
>> sbin -> usr/sbin
>
> If I take one example and see if someone can give me another clue.
> Please. Perhaps one example will give some scooby of some sorts.
>
> The instructions for the music player say:
>

> Edit /boot/cmdline.txt and add to the end of it " init=/bin/systemd".
>
> Now under the previous OS this worked fine for years but there was a
> file: /bin/systemd
>
> So I've worked out (I think) that that file is now
> /boot/firmware/cmdline.txt and I found the file and amended it as
> instructed.
>
> But now there is no such file and worse there is no file
> /usr/bin/systemd either.
>

> What do I do?
>

> Bob.

pi@projectroompi:~ $ ls -al /bin/systemd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jul 29 04:53 /bin/systemd -> /lib/systemd/systemd

That's /lib/systemd/systemd

Bob said "That's looking from samba."

That would have been a nice tidbit for the first post Bob. Samba is
black magic. I never fool with it.

--

Knute Johnson

Re: Bookworm - help

<ugc3md$3bl3j$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7566&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7566

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 19:53:01 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 18:53 UTC

On 13/10/2023 19:47, Knute Johnson wrote:
> On 10/13/23 13:39, Bob Latham wrote:
>> In article <5af2d290d0bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>,
>>     Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> bin -> usr/bin
>>> lib -> usr/lib
>>> sbin -> usr/sbin
>>
>> If I take one example and see if someone can give me another clue.
>> Please. Perhaps one example will give some scooby of some sorts.
>>
>> The instructions for the music player say:
>>

>> Edit /boot/cmdline.txt and add to the end of it " init=/bin/systemd".
>>
>> Now under the previous OS this worked fine for years but there was a
>> file:  /bin/systemd
>>
>> So I've worked out (I think) that that file is now
>> /boot/firmware/cmdline.txt and I found the file and amended it as
>> instructed.
>>
>> But now there is no such file and worse there is no file
>> /usr/bin/systemd either.
>>

>> What do I do?
>>

>> Bob.
>>

> pi@projectroompi:~ $ ls -al /bin/systemd
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jul 29 04:53 /bin/systemd -> /lib/systemd/systemd
>
> That's /lib/systemd/systemd
>

> Bob said "That's looking from samba."
>
> That would have been a nice tidbit for the first post Bob.  Samba is
> black magic.  I never fool with it.

It isnt black magic, but it was never designed to edit root permissions
system files with, either.

--
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.

Re: Bookworm - help

<5af2d6f782bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7567&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7567

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 19:58:29 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 18:58 UTC

In article <ugc2ad$3b8jb$1@dont-email.me>,
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Ah. Finally I understand.

> Samba by default does NOT FOLLOW OR REVEAL SYMLINKS

> I have the same issues with NFS.

> A 5 second google netted this, Try it

Yes, okay. I'm not very successful with google. You have to know the
right question to ask and I didn't know this was (at least in part) a
samba issue.

> Edit smb.conf

> [global]
> unix extensions = no

> [share]
> follow symlinks = yes
> wide links = yes

That worked !!! I now have virtual /bin /sbin and /lib.

I didn't even know such things as symlinks existed !1

Thank you for getting me to this point.

I probably need to have a look through again now with this new light
to see if I can spot the problem.

Cheers,

Bob.

Re: Bookworm - help

<5af2d75b73bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7568&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7568

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 20:02:45 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 19:02 UTC

In article <ugc3cq$3biks$1@dont-email.me>,
Knute Johnson <knute2023@585ranch.com> wrote:

> Bob said "That's looking from samba."

> That would have been a nice tidbit for the first post Bob. Samba
> is black magic. I never fool with it.

Sorry Knute, I really am.

I think it's pretty obvious though, that I had no idea samba was
relevant.

Samba *has* given me a way to work on things I don't know anything
about at all from somewhere I do know a bit about. A doorway if you
like.

Thanks.

Bob.

Re: Bookworm - help

<wwvh6mu1bp3.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7570&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7570

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 21:58:48 +0100
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 20:58 UTC

Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> writes:
> The directory /bin used to have a file in it called systemd. The
> instructions to build a player tells me to add "init=/bin/systemd" to
> /boot/cmdline.txt.

Why do you think you need do to this? Bookworm will start up with
systemd anyway.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: Bookworm - help

<5af32498b8bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7572&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7572

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 10:06:25 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 09:06 UTC

In article <wwvh6mu1bp3.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>,
Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> writes:

> > The directory /bin used to have a file in it called systemd. The
> > instructions to build a player tells me to add "init=/bin/systemd" to
> > /boot/cmdline.txt.

> Why do you think you need do to this?

The short answer is that I follow the instructions and I don't know
enough to better them.

The players I build are based on this:
https://github.com/PeteManchester/MediaPlayer

A few years ago the start up method started to fail (can't remember
its name) and couldn't be fixed. Pete changed over to using systemd
and that's been great until now but I follow his instructions.

> Bookworm will start up with systemd anyway.

Interesting, is that for just bookworm?

If I go back to a player built on bullseye (april 2023) PiOS release
and remove that change? Will it still startup MediaPlayer?

Cheers,

Bob.

Re: Bookworm - help

<ugdpva$3pvr4$6@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7573&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7573

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 11:19:22 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 10:19 UTC

On 13/10/2023 19:58, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <ugc2ad$3b8jb$1@dont-email.me>,
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Ah. Finally I understand.
>
>> Samba by default does NOT FOLLOW OR REVEAL SYMLINKS
>
>> I have the same issues with NFS.
>
>> A 5 second google netted this, Try it
>
> Yes, okay. I'm not very successful with google. You have to know the
> right question to ask and I didn't know this was (at least in part) a
> samba issue.
>

>> Edit smb.conf
>
>> [global]
>> unix extensions = no
>
>> [share]
>> follow symlinks = yes
>> wide links = yes
>
> That worked !!! I now have virtual /bin /sbin and /lib.
>
> I didn't even know such things as symlinks existed !1
>
> Thank you for getting me to this point.

With respect Bob, you are well off the newbie reservation with what you
are trying to do.
I don't say don't do it, just that you have a pretty big learning curve
here, and much of the documentation you would like is going to be
recondite to the extreme.

If you succeed you will end up knowing linux rather better than most

--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus

Re: Bookworm - help

<ugdqt9$3qgqm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7576&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7576

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 11:35:20 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 10:35 UTC

On 14/10/2023 10:06, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <wwvh6mu1bp3.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>,
> Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> writes:
>
>>> The directory /bin used to have a file in it called systemd. The
>>> instructions to build a player tells me to add "init=/bin/systemd" to
>>> /boot/cmdline.txt.
>
>> Why do you think you need do to this?
>
> The short answer is that I follow the instructions and I don't know
> enough to better them.
>
> The players I build are based on this:
> https://github.com/PeteManchester/MediaPlayer

I just looked at this:
https://github.com/PeteManchester/MediaPlayer/wiki/Install-Raspberry-Pi
and can find no reference to editing /boot/cmdline.txt or systemd
What am I missing?

--
Chris Elvidge, England
COFFEE IS NOT FOR KIDS

Re: Bookworm - help

<wwvr0lxzbqj.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7577&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7577

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Richard Kettlewell)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:26:12 +0100
 by: Richard Kettlewell - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 11:26 UTC

Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> writes:
> Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> writes:

>>> The directory /bin used to have a file in it called systemd. The
>>> instructions to build a player tells me to add "init=/bin/systemd"
>>> to /boot/cmdline.txt.
>
>> Why do you think you need do to this?
>
> The short answer is that I follow the instructions and I don't know
> enough to better them.
>
> The players I build are based on this:
> https://github.com/PeteManchester/MediaPlayer
>
> A few years ago the start up method started to fail (can't remember
> its name) and couldn't be fixed. Pete changed over to using systemd
> and that's been great until now but I follow his instructions.

I guess you mean

https://github.com/PeteManchester/MediaPlayer/wiki/Using-'systemd'--for-the-MediaPlayer-service-controller

That’s about wheezy (i.e. Debian 7), which is before systemd was the
default. It’s unfortunate the author didn’t update their guide.

>> Bookworm will start up with systemd anyway.
>
> Interesting, is that for just bookworm?

It’s been the default since jessie (Debian 8).

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: Bookworm - help

<5af3321f65bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7578&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7578

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:34:09 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 11:34 UTC

In article <ugdpva$3pvr4$6@dont-email.me>,
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> With respect Bob, you are well off the newbie reservation with what
> you are trying to do. I don't say don't do it, just that you have a
> pretty big learning curve here, and much of the documentation you
> would like is going to be recondite to the extreme.

What I'm trying to do is get a system to work on bookworm that worked
on bullseye and the previous os without issue.

I can either give up and stick to using the old operating system or I
can persist for a while to see if I can fix it.

Pretty much at the start of building these players are the following
jobs:

Install java 11 DONE
Copy downloaded mediaplayer and copy to /home/pi DONE
cd /home/pi/mediaplayer DONE
sudo chmod +x run.sh DONE
sudo /home/pi/mediaplayer/run.sh DONE

After that command on bullseye there is a delay then some messages
and then the webserver starts up and we're away.

On bookworm nothing. A big fat nothing.

The run.sh file is below, on a quick look, can anyone see anything
that may be a problem for bookworm?

Thank you all.

Bob.

--------------
#!/bin/sh

# Absolute path to this script, e.g. /home/pi/mediaplayer/run.sh
SCRIPT=$(readlink -f "$0")
# Absolute path this script is in, thus /home/pi/mediaplayer
SCRIPTPATH=$(dirname "$SCRIPT")

TURNOFF_WLAN=true

DIRNAME="$( dirname "$0" )"
cd "${DIRNAME}"
#export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/
java -jar $SCRIPTPATH/mediaplayer.jar &
_wlanexist=$(ifconfig | grep wlan) || true
if [ "$_wlanexist" ] && [ "$TURNOFF_WLAN" ]; then
iwconfig wlan0 power off
fi
exit 0
-----------------------

Cheers,

Bob.

Re: Bookworm - help

<5af332f254bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7579&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7579

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:43:09 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 11:43 UTC

In article <ugdqt9$3qgqm$1@dont-email.me>,
Chris Elvidge <chris@mshome.net> wrote:
> On 14/10/2023 10:06, Bob Latham wrote:

> > The players I build are based on this:
> > https://github.com/PeteManchester/MediaPlayer

> I just looked at this:
> https://github.com/PeteManchester/MediaPlayer/wiki/Install-Raspberry-Pi
> and can find no reference to editing /boot/cmdline.txt or systemd
> What am I missing?

If I recall correctly, when Pete decided that the previous start up
method no longer worked he (or someone) gave supplemental
instructions to change over to using systemd as the start up method.

Somewhere in that supplemental would have been those instructions, I
wouldn't have invented them myself that's for sure.

Thanks for looking for me.

Cheers,

Bob.

Re: Bookworm - help

<5af333b09cbob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7580&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7580

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:51:28 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 11:51 UTC

In article <wwvr0lxzbqj.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>,
Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I guess you mean

> https://github.com/PeteManchester/MediaPlayer/wiki/Using-'systemd'--for-the-MediaPlayer-service-controller

Oh thanks for finding that but yes I would imagine that is the source
of my notes.

> That‘s about wheezy (i.e. Debian 7), which is before systemd was the
> default. It‘s unfortunate the author didn‘t update their guide.

Wow, thanks for that information.

> It‘s been the default since jessie (Debian 8).

Thanks for getting to the bottom of it. I dread to think what else
should be changed in my instructions.

Cheers,

Bob.

Re: Bookworm - help

<ugdvtj$3repn$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7581&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7581

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:00:51 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:00 UTC

On 14/10/2023 12:51, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <wwvr0lxzbqj.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>,
> Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I guess you mean
>
>> https://github.com/PeteManchester/MediaPlayer/wiki/Using-'systemd'--for-the-MediaPlayer-service-controller
>
> Oh thanks for finding that but yes I would imagine that is the source
> of my notes.
>
>> That‘s about wheezy (i.e. Debian 7), which is before systemd was the
>> default. It‘s unfortunate the author didn‘t update their guide.
>
> Wow, thanks for that information.
>
>> It‘s been the default since jessie (Debian 8).
>
> Thanks for getting to the bottom of it. I dread to think what else
> should be changed in my instructions.

I have wasted days in following instructions that simply didn't apply to
the installation I had, and not just in linux, or software.

Welcome to the RealWorld™

--
“when things get difficult you just have to lie”

― Jean Claud Jüncker

Re: Bookworm - help

<5af4371a9cbob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7593&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#7593

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 12:04:46 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 11:04 UTC

In article <ugdpva$3pvr4$6@dont-email.me>,
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> With respect Bob, you are well off the newbie reservation with what
> you are trying to do. I don't say don't do it, just that you have
> a pretty big learning curve here, and much of the documentation
> you would like is going to be recondite to the extreme.

I had to look up recondite ! :-)

I have tell you guys, unbelievably, astonishingly, I've fixed it !

People here made me aware of how out of date my notes were and I
realised that there was going to be lots of other legacy items no
longer needed.

So I decided to go through my install instruction and throw out
anything that wasn't systemd related or obviously important. I then
went through this new minimalist procedure with a bullseye build. I
know bullseye works with this.

Didn't work first off, had to add at least one instruction back in
but after some hours of trying it worked.

Then I went for it, I built the minimalist version yet again but on
bookworm this time. Low and behold it worked. I couldn't believe it.
see below.

Exactly what the issue was I don't know but I've got a much reduced
and simpler set of notes which I've sent back to Pete the author.

Again I've learnt a lot thanks to the help and patience of people
here.

Thank you.

Bob.

Copy the cleaned mediaplayer folder into /home/pi

cd /home/pi/mediaplayer
sudo chmod +x run.sh

sudo /home/pi/mediaplayer/run.sh

Wait...
WebServer should now be up on port 80 or port 8088

cd scripts/systemd
sudo install -v -m 755 mediaplayer.service /etc/systemd/system
sudo install -v -m 755 run_systemd.sh /home/pi/mediaplayer

sudo systemctl enable mediaplayer.service (start at boot up)
(symlink gets created here!)

sudo systemctl start mediaplayer.service

Wait !! Give the pi some time to sort itself here.

sudo raspi-config
1S4 Hostname set as required.
6A1 Expand Filesystem
reboot on exit.