From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: FREE GAME:Wolfenstein: The New Order
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 11:18:23 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 15:18 UTC

Okay Epic, what do you have for us THIS week? You've been very coy
about it, hiding it behind the "mystery game" tag for the last seven
days; how very unusual and, well, mysterious! But time is up and all
must be revealed. This week's freebie is:

Wolfenstein: The New Order
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/wolfenstein-the-new-order

Oh? Is that it? Look, don't get me wrong; W:TNO was a fine game (if
severely over hyped), with some entertaining gunplay... but its hardly
worth being so secretive about it. I mean, it's not a GREAT game; its
story and characters are trashy even taking into account the game
steals a lot from pulp-SciFi, and the gameplay starts to feel pretty
repetitive as the game progresses. It felt very paint-by-numbers by
the end. Worth playing? Yeah, I guess. Worth getting? Well, it's free
so why not. Worth getting excited about? Not in the least.

Oh well. It's a free game; I shouldn't complain too much. If you're
interested in getting a copy for yourself, you got seven days to claim
it.

(huh, Epic is hiding next week's game behind the 'mystery' tag too. I
guess that's their new thing now)

Re: FREE GAME:Wolfenstein: The New Order

<t7aott$de9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7524&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7524

From: rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: FREE GAME:Wolfenstein: The New Order
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 16:36:13 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
 by: Ross Ridge - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 16:36 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>(huh, Epic is hiding next week's game behind the 'mystery' tag too. I
>guess that's their new thing now)

It's probably only for the duration of their "Epic Games MEGA Sale",
which ends June 16. So only one more, maybe two, mystery games and then
it should go back to normal.

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Re: FREE GAME:Wolfenstein: The New Order

<ccmdnabGNJ3MgAT_nZ2dnUU7-R-dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7526&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7526

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 15:28:01 -0500
 by: Ant - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 20:28 UTC

Ooh, I haven't played this!

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay Epic, what do you have for us THIS week? You've been very coy
> about it, hiding it behind the "mystery game" tag for the last seven
> days; how very unusual and, well, mysterious! But time is up and all
> must be revealed. This week's freebie is:

> Wolfenstein: The New Order
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/wolfenstein-the-new-order

> Oh? Is that it? Look, don't get me wrong; W:TNO was a fine game (if
> severely over hyped), with some entertaining gunplay... but its hardly
> worth being so secretive about it. I mean, it's not a GREAT game; its
> story and characters are trashy even taking into account the game
> steals a lot from pulp-SciFi, and the gameplay starts to feel pretty
> repetitive as the game progresses. It felt very paint-by-numbers by
> the end. Worth playing? Yeah, I guess. Worth getting? Well, it's free
> so why not. Worth getting excited about? Not in the least.

> Oh well. It's a free game; I shouldn't complain too much. If you're
> interested in getting a copy for yourself, you got seven days to claim
> it.

> (huh, Epic is hiding next week's game behind the 'mystery' tag too. I
> guess that's their new thing now)

--
Slammy Thursday and Friday? GSW must sweep Boston Celtics! Dang illnesses like cancers (another 1 bites da dust again yesterday like on May Day -- a pattern now?), allergies, & COVID19s! :(
| |o o| |

Re: FREE GAME:Wolfenstein: The New Order

<t7eebv$338$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7559&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7559

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 20:00:30 -0600
 by: rms - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 02:00 UTC

>I mean, it's not a GREAT game;

Boy I sat down and was about to rant about how I hated the '60s
characters and confronting your dad, but woops! that was the 3rd game in
this new series, The New Colossus. The prequel, The Old Blood, was more
like the older wacky nazis+magic formula which appealed to me more, but TNO
is a good game. I wish they'd given away Youngblood instead, as I haven't
played it and am unwilling to pay for it :)

rms

Re: FREE GAME:Wolfenstein: The New Order

<qs3n9h9ekdo43bb05cs828bl9k1hpm62vh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7567&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7567

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2022 13:01:09 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 4 Jun 2022 17:01 UTC

On Fri, 3 Jun 2022 20:00:30 -0600, "rms" <rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net>
wrote:

> I wish they'd given away Youngblood instead, as I haven't
>played it and am unwilling to pay for it :)

Give it a year; it'll show up eventually.