Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 11:48:33 -0600
Subject: Re: Why has the argument with Olcott gone on for so long?
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 17:48 UTC

On 11/13/2021 10:57 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> Because the halting problem as defined is a category error: only
> Olcott sees this and the rest of you are blind to it. Classic outcome
> of failing to recognize a category error is an argument that goes
> nowhere and never ends.
>
> /Flibble

Hence my new signature line:

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Why has the argument with Olcott gone on for so long?

<ppadnZuXxMqvlQ38nZ2dnUU7-VfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7590&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7590

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 12:47:13 -0600
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 18:47 UTC

On 11/13/2021 12:32 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Except that True Genius is actually able to show the target after
>>> they have hit it, as they understand things so well.
>>>

>> Not to people that are stuck in rebuttal mode that don't really give a
>> rat's ass for the actual truth.
>>
>>> You are shooting at a target that doesn't actually exist, shown by
>>> the fact that you can't even use the right terminology.
>>>
>>> No, maybe there is a Target you can see that others don't, but you
>>> don't seem to understand how to get there. If you really do have some
>>> great idea of a new structure of knowledge, then you need to start at
>>> the basics and work up, not start at the end of a road that has its
>>> structure locked and disagrees with what you want.
>>

> No, True Genius understands what they are talking about well enough to
> answer the rebuttals. You just ignore them, showing that you don't
> really understand what you are talking about.

True Genius also understands how to distinguish the difference between
an actual rebuttal and a very subtle strawman error.

True Genius understands that any rebuttal to the strawman based fake
rebuttal is a total waste of time.

The only rational approach to the very persistent tactic of the strawman
error is to make the assertion so precise that fake rebuttals can be
objectively discerned.

_P()
[00001a5e](01) 55 push ebp
[00001a5f](02) 8bec mov ebp,esp
[00001a61](03) 8b4508 mov eax,[ebp+08]
[00001a64](01) 50 push eax // push P
[00001a65](03) 8b4d08 mov ecx,[ebp+08]
[00001a68](01) 51 push ecx // push P
[00001a69](05) e810000000 call 00001a7e // call H
[00001a6e](03) 83c408 add esp,+08
[00001a71](01) 5d pop ebp
[00001a72](01) c3 ret
Size in bytes:(0021) [00001a72]

If when every H in the universe invoked from machine address 00001a7e
takes a 100% specific byte sequence as the definition of its P input and
no element of this infinite set ever results in P reaching its final
state then we know that this P never halts and every H that returns 0 is
a correct halt decider for this specific P.

There is no weasel wording around that one.