From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Humble Choice Games: June 2022
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2022 16:40:27 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 20:40 UTC

Not free, but cheap! That's close enough, ain't it?

This month's selection of games on HumbleChoice (not including the
usual mishmash on their trove) consists of:

- Star Wars Squadrons
- Phoenix Point: Year One Edition
- GameDec
- Superhot: Mind Control Delete
- Call of the Sea
- Pumpkin Jack
- Siege Survival Gloria Victus
- I Am Fish

Obviously the big one is "Star Wars Squadrons" (note: an EA/Origin
account is required). It's a winner for me, if only because I'm a
self-admitted Star Wars junkie. Still, space-combat sims are a rare
enough breed that even without the license the game would be worth
picking up (well, assuming you like space-combat sims, I suppose).
Honestly, I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the old classics
"X-Wing" or "TIE Fighter", but there's a lot to be said about the
amazingly improved visual fidelity. Definitely one to have in your
library.

"Phoenix Point: Year One Edition" on the other hand, is a bit iffier.
Made by the guys behind the original X-Com games, its heart is in the
right place... but it's been cursed with two left feet and is all
thumbs. There's a general lack of polish - in its visuals, in its
combat, in its balance, in its world-building, in its bugs - that
makes it immediately evident that this is a B-list title. If you are a
serious fan of the genre - or just forgiving - you can have fun with
the game, but it could have been so much better than it is.

"GameDec" is an isometric RPG with a cyberpunk setting, neither
features that I find particularly appealing. Still, that's a matter of
personal taste more than a statement of the game's worth. Lacking
combat, it's a game that's more about narrative and deduction than
stats; there are shades of "Disco Elysium" here. Unfortunately, the
writing isn't the best and its a buggy mess. It's definitely a niche
game and if you like the setting and can get it working, it's probably
worth your time, but otherwise? Ehn.

I'm familiar with the original SUPERHOT, but not its sequel, "MIND
CONTROL DELETE", but it looks to be just 'more of the same'. Which
isn't, in and of itself, a bad thing, especially if you enjoyed the
slow-motion combat of the original. Myself, I never really engaged
with the series' mechanics and firefights, so this game is probably
going to end up on the "should play but probably won't" list.

As for the rest? I've little knowledge on them. "Call of the Sea"
looks to be an Indie walking-sim with very stylized, cel-shaded
graphics. Its got fairly good reviews, but there's nothing I see on
its store page that makes me want to rush out and play it. "Pumpkin
Jack" is a 3D action/platformer adventure where you guide the
scythe-wielding Jack through colorful, childishly 'spooky' levels
mowing down bland enemies. Not really my thing, but its got good
revews. "I Am Fish" is a physics-based 3D platformer where you guide
three englobed fish across the human world. Meh. And "Siege Survival"
looks to be a city-management (but not city-builder) game where you
try to keep a besiege city from collapsing upon itself. It might be
worth a look just for its unusual concept.

Not all great games, but for $12USD, they're all good enough to make
them worth the price. Get 'em all before July 4th and they're yours to
keep forever.

Re: Humble Choice Games: June 2022

<s6hv9ht5qsbnnmsohlphtt24ui1ohqvk1u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7612&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7612

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Humble Choice Games: June 2022
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2022 15:38:26 -0600
 by: PW - Tue, 7 Jun 2022 21:38 UTC

On Tue, 07 Jun 2022 16:40:27 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Not free, but cheap! That's close enough, ain't it?
>
>This month's selection of games on HumbleChoice (not including the
>usual mishmash on their trove) consists of:
>
>- Star Wars Squadrons
>- Phoenix Point: Year One Edition
>- GameDec
>- Superhot: Mind Control Delete
>- Call of the Sea
>- Pumpkin Jack
>- Siege Survival Gloria Victus
>- I Am Fish
>
>Obviously the big one is "Star Wars Squadrons" (note: an EA/Origin
>account is required). It's a winner for me, if only because I'm a
>self-admitted Star Wars junkie. Still, space-combat sims are a rare
>enough breed that even without the license the game would be worth
>picking up (well, assuming you like space-combat sims, I suppose).
>Honestly, I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the old classics
>"X-Wing" or "TIE Fighter", but there's a lot to be said about the
>amazingly improved visual fidelity. Definitely one to have in your
>library.

*--

I agree. It is fun as heck and reminds me of the two that you
mentioned, which I loved.

And it works great with my old Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick,
including the twisting for the rudder!

-pw