If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. -- Albert Einstein

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ]

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistentolcott
`* Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistentolcott
 +- Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistentolcott
 +* Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistentolcott
 |+* Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistentolcott
 ||+- Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistentolcott
 ||`* Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistentolcott
 || `- Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistentolcott
 |+* Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistentolcott
 ||`* Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistentolcott
 || `* Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistentolcott
 ||  +- Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistentolcott
 ||  `* Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistentolcott
 ||   `- Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ Irrefutable ]olcott
 |`* Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistentolcott
 | `* Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistentolcott
 |  +- Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistentolcott
 |  `* Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ gullible foolsolcott
 |   `- Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ gullible foolsolcott
 `- Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ Ben's lie orolcott

1
Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ]

<BbqdnRxJacG1WSX8nZ2dnUU7-R_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7668&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7668

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 10:19:51 -0600
Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent
misconception ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<QuSdnWbKCa_owSr8nZ2dnUU7-UWdnZ2d@giganews.com> <sp7ojl$443$1@dont-email.me>
<DsqdnUmYXqhP9ir8nZ2dnUU7-KnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sp7s0i$8on$1@dont-email.me>
<w_idnaotH49V6Cr8nZ2dnUU7-S_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sp804u$pu9$1@dont-email.me>
<rqidnTGSZ7INESr8nZ2dnUU7-VHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sp82ti$gtb$1@dont-email.me>
<TaWdndq5xo5uDyr8nZ2dnUU7-NnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sp89bu$jpn$1@dont-email.me>
<JbqdnYpPd4LzSyr8nZ2dnUU7-QnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sp8lm7$d80$1@dont-email.me>
<vJmdnaxZBpJOcyr8nZ2dnUU7-WfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sp8sfc$6d9$1@dont-email.me>
<nPadnRE2a-qgZSr8nZ2dnUU7-UfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<zQStJ.116110$aF1.17968@fx98.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 16:19 UTC

On 12/13/2021 7:55 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 12/13/21 8:49 PM, olcott wrote:

>>> Yes, I do. And P isn't in the domain of the halting function. P(P) is
>>> in its domain but P is not.

>>> And both P(P) and H_Hat(<H_Hat) *are* in the domain of the halting
>>> function and those are the two elements you claim to be concerned with.
>>>
>>> Both of these are mapped to 'HALTS' by the halting function because
>>> the halting function is concerned with how computations behave when
>>> they are actually run.

>>> Again, what you write is nonsense. P(P) *is* in the domain of the
>>
>> It looks like both Sipser and Linz correct your "corrections", thus
>> proving that your "corrections" are incorrect.
>>
>> The C code that computes the halting function for a domain including
>> the x86 machine code of the following:
>>
>> void P(u32 x)
>> {
>>    if (H(x, x))
>>      HERE: goto HERE;
>> }
>>
>> void Infinite_Loop(int N)
>> {
>>    HERE: goto HERE;
>> }
>>
>> void Infinite_Recursion(int N)
>> {
>>    Infinite_Recursion(N);
>> }
>>
>> correctly determines that none of the above inputs ever stops running
>> without being aborted
>
> Except the P(P) does Halt if H(P,P) returns 0.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ]

<PLCdnfIaQOPKuyf8nZ2dnUU7-IHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7669&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7669

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 11:31:01 -0600
misconception ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<B9cuJ.3767$8Q7.1781@fx10.iad>
<KYSdnboXIbKGyyT8nZ2dnUU7-TvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<YtduJ.179632$AJ2.63858@fx33.iad>
<IqednVOu3pZY-CT8nZ2dnUU7-cXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <877dc5zuby.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 17:31 UTC

On 12/15/2021 10:49 AM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:
>
>> No matter how you slice it the behavior of Ĥ depends on the decision
>> of Ĥ.qx
>
> You are talking about TM's again... Let's take a look:
>
>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>
> Yup. Since Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ transitions to Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩, what transmissions
> follow Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ is indeed key (but Ĥ is not a decider, remember).
> All you need to do now is explain under which conditions each line
> applies and you are done:
>
> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞ if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts, and
> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.
>
> To quote Linz, "this is clearly nonsense".

We begin with the assumption that H is a simulating halt decider.

A Turing machine computes a function by starting with the input to the
function on the tape and halting with the output of the function on the
tape (Sipser:1997:190).

Linz (and everyone else) erroneously conflates the execution of Ĥ
applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ with the simulation of ⟨Ĥ⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ by Ĥ.qx.

(1) The simulation of ⟨Ĥ⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ by Ĥ.qx is one level of
indirect reference away from Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩. Ĥ.qx is not deciding
whether or not itself halts. It is only deciding whether or not the
simulation of its input ever reaches the final state of this input.

(2) The fact that Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ would halt if Ĥ.qx applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩
transitions to Ĥ.qn has no bearing on whether or not this transition is
correct because the computable function at Ĥ.qx is only accountable for
the behavior of its actual inputs. It is not accountable for the
behavior it itself because itself its not an actual input.

(3) Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ has a one-way dependency on Ĥ.qx applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩
that does not exist in the reverse.

(4) It is the case that when H is based on a simulating halt decider
that Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ would remain in infinitely nested
simulation unless and until Ĥ.qx would abort the simulation of its
input. This conclusively proves that the input to Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ never halts.

I repeat that the behavior of Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ has no bearing in the
halt status decision of Ĥ.qx applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ because the computable
function at Ĥ.qx only applies to its actual inputs and does not apply to
itself: Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ is an earlier part of Ĥ.qx applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ](Ben's mistake)

<iOGdnZCn8ZPBsSP8nZ2dnUU7-VvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7675&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7675

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 12:45:41 -0600
misconception ](Ben's mistake)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<IqednVOu3pZY-CT8nZ2dnUU7-cXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <877dc5zuby.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<PLCdnfIaQOPKuyf8nZ2dnUU7-IHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87k0g5xxhw.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<2KadnVz_Huir5yf8nZ2dnUU7-RvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87czlxxsd6.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<5fGdnd4aCeR9Byf8nZ2dnUU7-VPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87y24lwb4s.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<qs2dnVtxvIcDMyf8nZ2dnUU7-SXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87v8zot99y.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<5I2dnXpkY7SxRyb8nZ2dnUU7-LWdnZ2d@giganews.com> <87wnk4rrhx.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<1vKdnRCI9dNPfyb8nZ2dnUU7-dXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<T7OdnUPBDYAZeSb8nZ2dnUU7-SfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <spgu1m$7s8$1@dont-email.me>
<bOqdnWEbpcrckSH8nZ2dnUU7-a_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sphcg3$pe7$1@dont-email.me>
<xZ6dnT_KvPiFNiH8nZ2dnUU7-K3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87a6gysz3o.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<IdKdnWDAO47ikCD8nZ2dnUU7-bvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87mtkyrb7y.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 18:45 UTC

On 12/17/2021 6:46 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> We all know your cut and paste skills are top notch.

>>> But that's not a correct paraphrase.
>>
>> A Turing machine computes a function by starting with the input to the
>> function on the tape and halting with the output of the function on
>> the tape (Sipser:1997:190).
>>
>> Within the context of the Sipser and Kozen quotes that you erased
>> exactly how is my paraphrase of Linz incorrect?
>
> Your paraphrase was of the Linz definition. If not, its reference to
> q0, qf and w are all wrong. As a paraphrase of Linz, it's wrong because
> it substitutes ambiguity for clarity.

> To say that M "transitions to qf
> as a function of w" is pure waffle.

q0 w ⊢* M qf f(w), qf ∈ F // I added a little spacing.

M is the machine
q0 is the initial state
qf is the final state
w is the input
f is the function name
D is the domain of the function

What do you think that f(w) means?

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ][ Why does Ben lie? ]

<V_qdnX-WbpTS8SL8nZ2dnUU7-UPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7677&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7677

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 11:30:54 -0600
misconception ][ Why does Ben lie? ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 17:30 UTC

On 12/17/2021 6:46 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> We all know your cut and paste skills are top notch.

>>> But that's not a correct paraphrase.
>>
>> A Turing machine computes a function by starting with the input to the
>> function on the tape and halting with the output of the function on
>> the tape (Sipser:1997:190).
>>
>> Within the context of the Sipser and Kozen quotes that you erased
>> exactly how is my paraphrase of Linz incorrect?
>
> Your paraphrase was of the Linz definition. If not, its reference to
> q0, qf and w are all wrong. As a paraphrase of Linz, it's wrong because
> it substitutes ambiguity for clarity. To say that M "transitions to qf
> as a function of w" is pure waffle.
>
> And you don't say what qf is. If you mention it, you should say why it
> matters. But you don't need to mention q0. That's just noise, as all
> TMs start in their start state, and what it's called it irrelevant to
> the paraphrase.
>
> Here's a better paraphrase:
>
> M, given w on its tape, halts with f(w) on the tape, for every string w
> in the domain of f.

It is not a better paraphrase because Linz specifies that the accept /
reject decision is specified by a state transition.

On 12/17/2021 6:46 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> To say that M "transitions to qf as a function of w" is pure waffle.

Because M does transition to qf and
it is common knowledge that f(w) means w is a function of f.
you know that your "correction" is incorrect.

Why lie?

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ][ Why does Ben lie? ]

<hPOdnfvGc94WyFz8nZ2dnUU7-a3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7681&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7681

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 22:18:17 -0600
misconception ][ Why does Ben lie? ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<V_qdnX-WbpTS8SL8nZ2dnUU7-UPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <871r26lnpx.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<pu2dnTmOvJ4tpFz8nZ2dnUU7-QnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<scbwJ.147326$SW5.134108@fx45.iad>
<a9ydnX2MqtaM2lz8nZ2dnUU7-dfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<jacwJ.113135$lz3.1436@fx34.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 04:18 UTC

On 12/20/2021 9:50 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> H^ has <H^> as its input, which is what H^ applied to <H^> means, thus
>>
>> Yes this is exactly correct.
>>
>>> it IS the case we hit a contradiction.
>> No because Ĥ.qx reports on the behavior specified by the simulation of
>> ⟨Ĥ⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩.
>>

> It must report on what it derived from that, but if H claims to be a
> CORRECT Halt Decider, then that answer MUST match the answer from the
> defintion of the Problem.
>
> If H is a correct Halt Decider, H(<x>, y) returns Halting if x(y) Halts
> and Non-Halting if x(y) never halts. (Not the simulation by H of this,
> but the actual computation).

No you are wrong. H is only allowed to map the behavior of its actual
inputs to an accept / reject state and it can only correctly determine
the behavior of its actual inputs by actually simulating these actual
inputs.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ Ben's lie or error ]

<4pCdna96La_z_1z8nZ2dnUU7-dHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7682&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7682

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 23:13:19 -0600
Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ Ben's lie or
error ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 05:13 UTC

On 12/17/2021 9:21 AM, olcott wrote:
> A function f with domain D is said to be Turing-computable
> or just computable if there exists some Turing machine
> M = (Q, Σ, Γ, δ, q0, □, F) such that q0 w ⊢* M qf f(w), qf ∈ F
> for all w ∈ D (Linz:1990:243)
>
> Olcott paraphrase of above machine definition:
> Machine M begins at start state q0 on input w and
> transitions to qf as a function of input w.

M = (Q, Σ, Γ, δ, q0, □, F) such that
q0 w ⊢* M qf f(w), qf ∈ F

Machine M
begins a start state q0
on input w
transitions to qf
as a function of w

Not really any ambiguity or waffle at all.
Not really any ambiguity or waffle at all.
Not really any ambiguity or waffle at all.
Not really any ambiguity or waffle at all.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ][ Why does Ben lie? ]

<spstvk$294$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7683&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7683

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
misconception ][ Why does Ben lie? ]
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 10:05:07 -0600
[...]
<LslwJ.77912$Sl5.28319@fx27.iad>
 by: olcott - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 16:05 UTC

On 12/21/2021 8:24 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> It must report on what it derived from that, but if H claims to be a
>>> CORRECT Halt Decider, then that answer MUST match the answer from the
>>> defintion of the Problem.
>>>
>>> If H is a correct Halt Decider, H(<x>, y) returns Halting if x(y)
>>> Halts and Non-Halting if x(y) never halts. (Not the simulation by H
>>> of this, but the actual computation).
>>>

>> No you are wrong. H is only allowed to map the behavior of its actual
>> inputs to an accept / reject state and it can only correctly determine
>> the behavior of its actual inputs by actually simulating these actual
>> inputs.
>>

> Wrong. Yes, because H needs to be a finite algorithm can only generate
> an answer based on processing the actual string it was given as an input.
>
> BUT, the REQUIREMENTS on H are based on the Machine that this input
> represents.

This is the persistent misconception.
The actual simulation of the actual input is the
only correct basis for any halt status decision.

Linz is wrong on this key point:
Linz is wrong on this key point:
Linz is wrong on this key point:

<Linz:1990:320>
Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts, and

Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.
</Linz:1990:320>

Once this single point is understood my
refutation will be understood to be correct:

The actual simulation of the actual input is the
only correct basis for any halt status decision.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see." Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ][ Why does Ben lie? ]

<TL-dncAlW4Ttll_8nZ2dnUU7-Y_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7684&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7684

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 11:14:23 -0600
misconception ][ Why does Ben lie? ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<H4ednXxYe-C-ZFz8nZ2dnUU7-SXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <spt046$iuf$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 17:14 UTC

On 12/21/2021 10:41 AM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-12-21 08:56, olcott wrote:
>> On 12/21/2021 8:24 AM, Richard Damon wrote:
>
>>> Wrong. Yes, because H needs to be a finite algorithm can only
>>> generate an answer based on processing the actual string it was given
>>> as an input.
>>>
>>> BUT, the REQUIREMENTS on H are based on the Machine that this input
>>> represents.
>>
>> This is the persistent misconception.
>> The actual simulation of the actual input is the
>> only correct basis for any halt status decision.
>
> A "correct basis" for a decision must be one that corresponds to the
> function which your decider purports to compute.
>
> Now that you've finally figured out that a Turing Machine is *not* a
> computable function, do you actually grasp what the halting FUNCTION is
> and what it means for something to compute a function?

A Turing machine computes a function by starting with the input to the
function on the tape and halting with the output of the function on the
tape (Sipser:1997:190).

A model of computation computes a function by mapping the input to the
function to the output of this function.

> The halting function is simply a mapping from pairs of TMs/input strings
> to either "halts" or "doesn't halt". It is not an algorithm of any sort.

No that is totally incorrect. It is never ever the case that any TM has
another TM as its input.

It is a mapping of a pair of finite strings to their corresponding
accept reject state on the basis of the behavior specified by the
simulation this pair of finite strings.

> It maps pairs that halt to "halts" and pairs that don't halt to "doesn't
> halt".
>
> Since H_Hat(H_Hat) halts, it maps (H_Hat, <H_Hat>) to "halts".
>
> Therefore, if your decider actually computes this function, it must
> accept the string which represents this pair. That would be <H_Hat>
> <H_Hat>.
>
>> Linz is wrong on this key point:
>
> No, he is not. His conditions accurately describe the function which the
> decider purports to compute.

Because everyone knows that no TM ever has another TM as its input
everyone (including Linz) knows that this does not literally compute
whether or not {Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt}
Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn

They use the figurative language that it computes whether
or not {Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt} because the 100%
perfectly precise language is more clumsy to say.

It actually computes whether or not the finite string
pair ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ input to Ĥ.qx specifies a computation that halts.

No one has previously ever bothered to notice that the computation of
the pure simulation of the input to Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ (where every nested
Ĥ.qx acts as if it was only a UTM) would never stop running.

I first noticed this in August of 2016.

>> Linz is wrong on this key point:
>> Linz is wrong on this key point:
>>
>> <Linz:1990:320>
>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
>> if Ĥ applied to  ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts, and
>>
>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>> if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.
>> </Linz:1990:320>
>>
>> Once this single point is understood my
>> refutation will be understood to be correct:
>>
>> The actual simulation of the actual input is the
>> only correct basis for any halt status decision.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ][ Why does Ben lie? ]

<sOWdnQHllrb4jl_8nZ2dnUU7-dXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7685&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7685

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 11:48:20 -0600
misconception ][ Why does Ben lie? ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<TL-dncAlW4Ttll_8nZ2dnUU7-Y_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <spt3bj$aan$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 17:48 UTC

On 12/21/2021 11:36 AM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-12-21 10:14, olcott wrote:

>>> A "correct basis" for a decision must be one that corresponds to the
>>> function which your decider purports to compute.
>>>
>>> Now that you've finally figured out that a Turing Machine is *not* a
>>> computable function, do you actually grasp what the halting FUNCTION
>>> is and what it means for something to compute a function?
>>
>> A Turing machine computes a function by starting with the input to the
>> function on the tape and halting with the output of the function on
>> the tape (Sipser:1997:190).
>>
>> A model of computation computes a function by mapping the input to the
>> function to the output of this function.
>>
>>> The halting function is simply a mapping from pairs of TMs/input
>>> strings to either "halts" or "doesn't halt". It is not an algorithm
>>> of any sort.
>>>

>> No that is totally incorrect. It is never ever the case that any TM
>> has another TM as its input.
>
> I'm talking about the halting FUNCTION. I'm not talking about a Turing
> machine. Do you still not grasp the distinction?
>
>> It is a mapping of a pair of finite strings to their corresponding
>> accept reject state on the basis of the behavior specified by the
>> simulation this pair of finite strings.
>
> The halting FUNCTION doesn't involve simulation of anything. It is
> simply a mapping from TM/input pairs to 'halts' or 'doesn't halt.
>
> André

None-the-less the function that the embedded H computes does not map Ĥ
to anything. It maps ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to an accept / reject state.

When we are talking about this function being computed by an algorithm
then it maps It maps ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to an accept / reject state on the basis of
its pure simulation of N steps of ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ]

<QbKdnZb8QshcEln8nZ2dnUU7-VnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7686&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7686

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 09:03:27 -0600
misconception ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<pu2dnTmOvJ4tpFz8nZ2dnUU7-QnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87tuf0htqo.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<YY6dnW1Nq9vdaV78nZ2dnUU7-cPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sq13oq$oa6$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 15:03 UTC

On 12/23/2021 12:08 AM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-12-22 20:59, olcott wrote:

>>> Indeed.  Did you ever think it did?
>>
>> That is what the if Ĥ applied to <Ĥ> means:
>> Ĥq0 <Ĥ> ⊦* Ĥqx <Ĥ> <Ĥ> ⊦* Ĥqn    if Ĥ applied to <Ĥ> does not halt.
>> You are merely copying the the mistake of Linz verbatim.
>
> That states the *condition* under which Ĥqn is reached.
>
> It makes no claim about Ĥ being an input to Ĥ.
>
> André

THE FOLLOWING IS THE PERSISTENT MISCONCEPTION

Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts, and

Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.

Linz figure 12.2 shows that Ĥ.qy still exists.

The error that Linz makes is saying "if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ..."
as if the embedded full copy of H at Ĥ.qx is computing
the mapping from Ĥ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to an accept / reject state.

The embedded full copy of H at Ĥ.qx is actually computing
the mapping from ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to an accept / reject state.
THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ]

<luqdna1f5ZhMDVn8nZ2dnUU7-d_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7687&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7687

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 09:08:01 -0600
misconception ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<YY6dnW1Nq9vdaV78nZ2dnUU7-cPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87h7azicvg.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 15:08 UTC

On 12/23/2021 9:01 AM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> And, more importantly, I say that. I don't want to defend Linz's proof
>>> since we both know it has an error in it (though a minor one). Here's
>>> my proof again:
>>> If a TM, H, existed such that
>>> Hq0 <M> s ⊦* Hqy if M applied to s halts, and
>>> Hq0 <M> s ⊦* Hqn if M applied to s does not halt,
>>> we could construct from it an H' such that
>>> H'q0 <M> s ⊦* oo if M applied to s halts, and
>>> H'q0 <M> s ⊦* H'qn if M applied to s does not halt.
>>> And from that we could construct an Ĥ such that
>>> Ĥq0 <M> ⊦* Ĥqx <M> <M> ⊦* oo if M applied to <M> halts, and
>>> Ĥq0 <M> ⊦* Ĥqx <M> <M> ⊦* Ĥqn if M applied to <M> does not halt.
>>> Setting M to Ĥ, so <M> becomes <Ĥ>, we see that the existence of H (as
>>> Linz defines it) logically entails that a TM Ĥ that does this
>>> Ĥq0 <Ĥ> ⊦* Ĥqx <Ĥ> <Ĥ> ⊦* oo if Ĥ applied to <Ĥ> halts, and
>>> Ĥq0 <Ĥ> ⊦* Ĥqx <Ĥ> <Ĥ> ⊦* Ĥqn if Ĥ applied to <Ĥ> does not halt.
>>> would also have to exist.

>>> Curious then, that I have written about, and agreed with you about, the
>>> mistake in Linz's proof. (I much prefer the real proof in Linz -- the
>>> one you have never even read. Don't try, you won't understand it.)

>>> Indeed. Did you ever think it did?
>>
>> That is what the if Ĥ applied to <Ĥ> means:
>
> No it doesn't. How many years have you been trying to understand this
> simple notation? And, more to the point, why bring this up now? Did you
> think, for the last 15 or so years, the TMs could be given TMs as input?
>
> (These are not rhetorical questions but I don't expect you'll answer
> them. You spend a lot of time avoiding direct questions.)
>
> Anyway, now you have shown that you don't know what the notation means
> you simply can't make any valid comment on the proof. You need to clear
> this up now or everything you write will be bogus.
>
> For a student (one who was interested in learning stuff) I'd give this
> simpler example: a "parity decider" TM could be defined like this:
>
> P.q0 <n> ⊦* P.gy if n is even, and
> P.q0 <n> ⊦* P.gn if n is odd.
>
> See how the condition refers to the number encoded by the string on the
> initial tape but the TM is not given a number, how could it be? All TMs
> operate on string representation of things, with the conditions
> expressed in terms of the things represented.
>
>>> The (near) copy of H embedded at Ĥ.qx goes thought the same transitions
>>> that H will when given the same input. I.e.
>>
>> It is an 100% perfectly exact copy
>
> ... with qy no longer a final state, and ...
>
>> with an infinite loop appended to
>> the Ĥ.qy path. Figure 12.2 shows that the state qy is not removed.
>
> It's an 100% perfectly exact copy except for the differences, yes. It
> hardly matters (since it's the transitions to qy and qn that matter),
> but your refusal to admit you are wrong even, about a trivial detail, is
> very telling.

I finally have enough of the proper way to say things to say what I mean
clearly unambiguously:

Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts, and

Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.

Linz figure 12.2 shows that Ĥ.qy still exists.

The embedded full copy of H at Ĥ.qx is actually computing
the mapping from ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to Ĥ.qy or Ĥ.qn
THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ]

<KNWdnX4L8M0EA1n8nZ2dnUU7-afNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7688&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7688

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 10:06:49 -0600
misconception ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<luqdna1f5ZhMDVn8nZ2dnUU7-d_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87bl17ibpb.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 16:06 UTC

On 12/23/2021 9:26 AM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> No it doesn't. How many years have you been trying to understand this
>>> simple notation? And, more to the point, why bring this up now? Did you
>>> think, for the last 15 or so years, the TMs could be given TMs as input?
>>> (These are not rhetorical questions but I don't expect you'll answer
>>> them. You spend a lot of time avoiding direct questions.)
>>> Anyway, now you have shown that you don't know what the notation means
>>> you simply can't make any valid comment on the proof. You need to clear
>>> this up now or everything you write will be bogus.
>>> For a student (one who was interested in learning stuff) I'd give this
>>> simpler example: a "parity decider" TM could be defined like this:
>>> P.q0 <n> ⊦* P.gy if n is even, and
>>> P.q0 <n> ⊦* P.gn if n is odd.
>>> See how the condition refers to the number encoded by the string on the
>>> initial tape but the TM is not given a number, how could it be? All TMs
>>> operate on string representation of things, with the conditions
>>> expressed in terms of the things represented.

>>> ... with qy no longer a final state, and ...

>>> It's an 100% perfectly exact copy except for the differences, yes. It
>>> hardly matters (since it's the transitions to qy and qn that matter),
>>> but your refusal to admit you are wrong even, about a trivial detail, is
>>> very telling.
>>>
>> I finally have enough of the proper way to say things to say what I
>> mean clearly unambiguously:
>>
>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
>> if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts, and
>>
>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>> if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.
>>
>> Linz figure 12.2 shows that Ĥ.qy still exists.
>>
>> The embedded full copy of H at Ĥ.qx is actually computing
>> the mapping from ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to Ĥ.qy or Ĥ.qn
>
> Yes! Not sure why it took you so long but you did explicitly deny this
> for some time.
>
> Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy if, and only if, H.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* H.qy
> Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn if, and only if, H.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* H.qn
>
> (You are still not stating it entirely property, hence my re-write, but
> talking about the mapping from the input to some state or other is
> relatively clear.)
>
>> THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.
>
> It does indeed! Congratulations! What do you plan to work on now?

Your "correction" is incorrect.

The input to the embedded copy of H at Ĥ.qx has been defined with a
dependency on the behavior of this embedded copy. It has no such
dependency on the original H that is not embedded at Ĥ.qx.

The embedded copy of H at Ĥ.qx computes the mapping from ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to Ĥ.qy
or Ĥ.qn.

When the embedded copy of H at Ĥ.qx computes the mapping from ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to
Ĥ.qy or Ĥ.qn by simulating N steps of ⟨Ĥ⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ it determines
that even the simulation of an infinite number of steps of ⟨Ĥ⟩ applied
to ⟨Ĥ⟩ never stops running.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ]

<joidnZX-laWui1j8nZ2dnUU7-XfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7689&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7689

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 18:37:06 -0600
misconception ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<QbKdnZb8QshcEln8nZ2dnUU7-VnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sq2pns$9pt$1@dont-email.me>
<Z56dnVK4k_HUbFn8nZ2dnUU7-KfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sq2s04$mt4$1@dont-email.me>
<MPWdnZ9_wKTsZ1n8nZ2dnUU7-QXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sq303f$5e7$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 00:37 UTC

On 12/23/2021 5:18 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-12-23 15:38, olcott wrote:

>>> Then your algorithm is broken since the copy of H at Ĥ.qx specifies
>>> the *exact* same decision criteria as H does.
>>
>> No it freaking well does not.
>> Ĥ trasitions to its final state on the basis of what Ĥ.qx decides.
>
> And according to the Linz definition of Ĥ, Ĥ.qx transitions to Ĥ.qy iff
> Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts, and to Ĥ.qn iff Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.

How many times do I have to tell you that this is incorrect because it
is not the same thing as the mapping that the full copy of H computes
from ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to Ĥ.qy or Ĥ.qn ???

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ]

<B9ydnTOW4vX3sVj8nZ2dnUU7-SPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7690&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7690

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 20:11:52 -0600
misconception ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<joidnZX-laWui1j8nZ2dnUU7-XfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sq37g1$9v7$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 02:11 UTC

On 12/23/2021 7:24 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-12-23 17:37, olcott wrote:

>>> And according to the Linz definition of Ĥ, Ĥ.qx transitions to Ĥ.qy
>>> iff Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts, and to Ĥ.qn iff Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not
>>> halt.
>>>

>> How many times do I have to tell you that this is incorrect because it
>> is not the same thing as the mapping that the full copy of H computes
>> from ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to Ĥ.qy or Ĥ.qn ???
>
> It may be the case that YOUR algorithm computes something different, but
> then your algorithm fails to meet the definition for Linz's Ĥ.

It is a verified fact that Ĥ.qx applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ specifies infinite
recursion to every simulating halt decider such that Ĥ.qx must abort its
simulation of this input.

Once we comprehend that this is a verified fact then it is also a
verified fact that H need not to abort its simulation of ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ because
Ĥ.qx has already done that.

I honestly don't see why you keep having difficulty with this.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ](Thanks to Ben)

<o_Kdne5P_Yk1P1v8nZ2dnUU7-QHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7695&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7695

Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 22:48:40 -0600
misconception ](Thanks to Ben)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<sq13oq$oa6$1@dont-email.me> <QbKdnZb8QshcEln8nZ2dnUU7-VnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sq303f$5e7$1@dont-email.me> <joidnZX-laWui1j8nZ2dnUU7-XfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sq37g1$9v7$1@dont-email.me> <B9ydnTOW4vX3sVj8nZ2dnUU7-SPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sq3b9c$pl4$1@dont-email.me> <Mv-dnQhek_n3pFj8nZ2dnUU7-RHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sq3nl5$dbp$1@dont-email.me> <2emdnRC92Kt5RFj8nZ2dnUU7-RHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<8735mhhfmr.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <qLCdncaGdYoWp1v8nZ2dnUU7-dXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<877dbtfmkg.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <RcadnUYclsaMGVv8nZ2dnUU7-UHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<d8qdnR6lsrNfG1v8nZ2dnUU7-dnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sq63pe$h2g$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 04:48 UTC

On 12/24/2021 9:39 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-12-24 19:49, olcott wrote:
>
>> Because Ben's augmented notation would apply at every nested
>> simulation level it may be a significant increase in clarity.
>>
>> H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qy // iff UTM(wM, w) halts
>> H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qn // iff UTM(wM, w) does not halt
>
> Why are you happy with this, despite the fact that UTM(wM, w) is *not*
> an input to H, but you object to the following

Ben provided (credit where credit is due) a key notational convention
that can be used to untangle the fact that the following is not any
matter of { Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ }

Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn

The copy of H at Ĥ.qx computes the mapping from ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to Ĥ.qy or Ĥ.qn
on the basis provided by Ben's notational convention.

UTM(wM, w) need not be any input to H. On the basis that UTM(x,y) is
computationally equivalent to the direct execution of x(y) we know that
Ben's notational convention does provide the correct criterion measure.

Finally we get past [Pete's Other Halting Problem] and show that this
criterion measure that I have been using all along has always been correct.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ]

<t_OdnZXuieBdEVr8nZ2dnUU7-c_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7696&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7696

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 15:27:27 -0600
misconception ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<87a6gysz3o.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <IdKdnWDAO47ikCD8nZ2dnUU7-bvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87mtkyrb7y.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <V_qdnX-WbpTS8SL8nZ2dnUU7-UPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87h7azicvg.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <luqdna1f5ZhMDVn8nZ2dnUU7-d_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87bl17ibpb.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <KNWdnX4L8M0EA1n8nZ2dnUU7-afNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87tueyhm2q.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <xcWdnck1eau4hlj8nZ2dnUU7-I_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87o856hkb9.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <PKudnQRaU5iKvlj8nZ2dnUU7-bvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87wnjtg08c.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <WPKdnbCriptto1v8nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87v8zde6u2.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <0p6dnTsxLuWMFVv8nZ2dnUU7-L_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<875yrce9d4.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <ls6dnexlDKVqHFr8nZ2dnUU7-LfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sq81or$cl7$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 21:27 UTC

On 12/25/2021 3:17 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 12/25/21 3:41 PM, olcott wrote:

>>> If you can't see it, you are doomed to keep writing absurd things.
>>>
>>> One reason you can't see it is that you think waffle carries the same
>>> weight as logic.  If logic determines that some x must be less than
>>> three and greater than five, you will argue that x can see what it's
>>> being compared to and make itself very small or very big as needed.
>>>

>> H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qy // iff UTM(wM, w) halts
>> H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qn // iff UTM(wM, w) does not halt
>>
>> As soon as H(x,y) knows that UTM(x,y) never halts it is always correct
>> for H to report that its input never halts.  THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS
>>
>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* UTM ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>
> NO!!!!

Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn

H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qy // iff UTM(wM, w) halts
H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qn // iff UTM(wM, w) does not halt

When the copy of H embedded at Ĥ.qx is the above H then

Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* UTM ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ Never Halts Therefore:
Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn

This is a tautology.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ gullible fools that are hardly paying attention ]

<ltSdnZuVV5xtdFX8nZ2dnUU7-TXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7702&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7702

Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 16:17:19 -0600
Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ gullible fools
that are hardly paying attention ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<87lf08cfzb.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <ssWdnRuLQpNoSlr8nZ2dnUU7-dVQAAAA@giganews.com>
<87ee5zaw0l.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 22:17 UTC

On 12/26/2021 3:36 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

> <cut diversions>
>
>> H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qy // iff UTM(wM, w) halts
>> H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qn // iff UTM(wM, w) does not halt
>
> You are frantically throwing up diversions. You claimed, above, that two
> identical sets of states and transitions can give rise to different
> configuration sequences:
>
> "Ĥ.qx maps ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to Ĥ.qn
> corresponds to
> H maps ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to H.qy"
>
> and, a little less vaguely:
>
> "The copy of H at Ĥ.qx correctly decides that its input never halts.
> H applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ correctly decides that its input halts."
>
> Formally, in the context of Linz's H/Ĥ you assert that:
>
> Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn but H.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* H.qy
>
> You don't want to address this mistake, but it's the elephant in the
> room. If TMs don't act solely on the basis of their tape and state
> transition functions, then they are arbitrary and useless.
>
> It would be dishonest to keep posting other stuff in an attempt to try t
> get people to forget you ever said this. You must address it. But then
> I think you'd have to accept the proof.

That you keep ignoring my explanation is not at all the same thing as my
not having provided an explanation.

The embedded copy of H at Ĥ.qx determines that the pure simulation of
its input never halts.

H at determines that the pure simulation of its input halts because the
copy of itself as Ĥ.qx aborts its input.

If you have no interest what-so-ever in the truth and you only care
about forming a rebuttal that gullible fools that are hardly paying
attention will accept then continue on your way.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ gullible fools that are hardly paying attention ] correction

<_cudnYgVNaDxeFT8nZ2dnUU7-R3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7704&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7704

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 10:10:19 -0600
that are hardly paying attention ] correction
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<87ee5zaw0l.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <ltSdnZuVV5xtdFX8nZ2dnUU7-TXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87czliakjz.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <s-adnZaoQvULo1T8nZ2dnUU7-I3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<871r1y84xw.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 16:10 UTC

On 12/27/2021 9:04 AM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:
>
>> On 12/26/2021 7:44 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>
>>> The copy of H and H must give rise to exactly the same transitions.
>>> Simply stating otherwise does not address this basic misunderstanding.
>>> Maybe another copy of H can make the tea?
>
>> I think that your confusion may be that: H simulates Ḧ applied to ⟨Ḧ⟩
>> calls embedded_H simulates ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⟨Ḧ⟩ aborts its simulation transitions
>> to Ḧ.qn causing H to transition to H.qy IS A SINGLE COMPUTATION.
>
> I am not confused. Two identical TMs[1] will always go through the same
> state transitions when give identical inputs.

Not when the first instance of these is defined to behave differently
on the basis of the behavior of the second instance of these.

> [1] I should really qualify this by referring to isomorphic TMs, but
> that would probably confuse you even more. But I dare say that soon you
> will pull the "they are not identical" line because you do that sort of
> thing when you are stuck.

As long as H has a way to distinguish itself from an identical copy of
itself H applied to ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⟨Ḧ⟩ transitions to H.qy and embedded_H applied
to ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⟨Ḧ⟩ transitions to Ḧ.qn, otherwise they both transition to qn.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ persistent misconception ]

<srydnfiNL-FAe1T8nZ2dnUU7-SvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7705&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7705

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 10:16:28 -0600
misconception ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.math,sci.logic
<87zgoocu2x.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <ls6dne9lDKU6H1r8nZ2dnUU7-LednZ2d@giganews.com>
<87tuewchbs.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <0sWdnfFcyZiFXFr8nZ2dnUU7-S3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87czlkcf38.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <deGdnd0qt41QRVr8nZ2dnUU7-QPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87h7avaw1x.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <kN6dnX0YoJsYelX8nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87lf06akw0.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <hoKdnQmCddkmgVT8nZ2dnUU7-bnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87v8za6nz7.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 16:16 UTC

On 12/27/2021 9:56 AM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:
>
>> On 12/26/2021 7:37 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>
>>> The second point is so significant that you can't say /anything/ about
>>> TMs until you accept that you are wrong. No TM can be built around a
>>> copy of another in any reliable way, because in PO-land identical copies
>>> don't behave identically.
>>>
>>> All statements you make about TMs are simply junk until you accept that
>>> a TM's behaviour is determined slowly by the input and the state
>>> transition function.
>>
>> When we arrange one copy of a computation to change its behavior on
>> the basis of another copy of this computation thus be dependent on the
>> second copy whereas this second copy is not dependent on any other
>> computation then we can correctly expect different results.
>
> If it's a copy it behaves identically. A TM this does not behave like
> the one it is based on is not a copy. To arrange for a copy of a TM to
> behave differently, with the same tape, is just Orwellian double speak.
>
> You just need to put your hand up to the mistake and move on.

As long as H has a way to distinguish itself from an identical copy of
itself H applied to ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⟨Ḧ⟩ transitions to H.qy and embedded_H applied
to ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⟨Ḧ⟩ transitions to Ḧ.qn, otherwise they both transition to qn.

That H and embedded_H have different machine descriptions is how H can
distinguish itself from embedded_H. embedded_H has ∞ appended.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ Irrefutable ]

<UpednVy5-dMeU1b8nZ2dnUU7-KnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7709&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7709

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 20:57:06 -0600
Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V40 [ Irrefutable ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<87v8za6nz7.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <srydnfiNL-FAe1T8nZ2dnUU7-SvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87mtkl5xd3.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <CqCdnWa7Vs--81f8nZ2dnUU7-SfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87r19w6yjg.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <1_edncI2XtIILlb8nZ2dnUU7-cWdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87a6gk6szr.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 02:57 UTC

On 12/28/2021 8:32 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> Ḧ is built using an identical copy of an other TM (H). Until you
>>> acknowledge that you are wrong about two identical TMs transitioning to
>>> different states despite having identical tapes, it's impossible to
>>> discuss TMs like Ḧ at all.
>>
>> This is a moot point, the key issue is about embedded_H applied to ⟨Ḧ⟩
>> ⟨Ḧ⟩
>
> But while you believe (and assert) nonsense about embedded copies of
> TMs, discussion of them is futile. (Moot has two related meaning these
> days. It's not a good word to use.)

Because this is Irrefutable you keep dodging it.
Because this is Irrefutable you keep dodging it.
Because this is Irrefutable you keep dodging it.

Proving that embedded_H at Ĥ.qx correctly maps its inputs ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to
Ĥ.qn on the basis of the behavior of the UTM simulation of these inputs.

Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn

*My criterion measure with Ben's notational conventions*
H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qy iff UTM(wM, w) halts
H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qn iff UTM(wM, w) does not halt

We know that H would correctly decide the halt status of its input on
the basis of correctly deciding the halt status of the UTM simulation of
its input.

We know this because a UTM simulation of the Turing machine description
is computationally equivalent to the direct execution of this same
Turing machine.

We know that the copy of H is at Ĥ.qx (AKA embedded_H) applies this
same criterion measure to every instance of embedded_H to any recursive
depth.

We know that this means that embedded_H is examining the behavior of Ĥ
applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ as if embedded_H was (hypothetically) replaced by a UTM.

We know that the behavior of this hypothetical machine is the criterion
measure for embedded_H.

We know that Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ would never stop running if embedded_H was
replaced by a UTM because Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ copies its input then UTM ⟨Ĥ⟩
⟨Ĥ⟩ would repeat this cycle ...

We know that this means that when embedded_H computes the mapping from
its input ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to Ĥ.qy or Ĥ.qn on the basis of the UTM simulation of
this input that its transition to Ĥ.qn is correct.

https://www.liarparadox.org/Peter_Linz_HP_315-320.pdf

Linz, Peter 1990. An Introduction to Formal Languages and Automata.
Lexington/Toronto: D. C. Heath and Company. (315-320)