"What man has done, man can aspire to do." -- Jerry Pournelle, about space flight

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: What final state does simplified Linz Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ transition to?

SubjectAuthor
* What final state does simplified Linz Ĥ applied toolcott
+* Re: What final state does simplified Linz Ĥ applieolcott
|`- Re: What final state does simplified Linz Ĥ applieolcott
`- Re: What final state does simplified Linz Ĥ applieolcott

1
What final state does simplified Linz Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ transition to?

<-dCdnSLIZMMde1r8nZ2dnUU7-e3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7697&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7697

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 21:50:22 -0600
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Subject: What_final_state_does_simplified_Linz_Ĥ_applied_to_
⟨Ĥ⟩ transition to?
 by: olcott - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 03:50 UTC

The following is the exact Linz Ĥ applied to its own Turing machine
description except that the infinite loop appended to the Ĥ.qy path has
been removed.

Ḧq0 ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⊢* Ḧ.qx ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⊢* Ḧ.qy
Ḧq0 ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⊢* Ḧ.qx ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⊢* Ḧ.qn

As the Linz text says a copy of the Linz H is at Ḧ.qx above.

It is known that the UTM simulation of a Turing machine description is
computationally equivalent to the direct execution of the same machine.
This allows the copy of the Linz H to base its halt status decision on
the behavior of the UTM simulation of its input.

Ben's notational convention
H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qy // iff UTM(wM, w) halts
H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qn // iff UTM(wM, w) does not halt

The copy of H at Ḧ.qx computes the mapping from ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⟨Ḧ⟩ to final states
Ḧ.qy or Ḧ.qn on the basis of the behavior of the UTM simulation of these
inputs.

The embedded copy of H performs a UTM simulation of its input until:
(a) Its input halts on its own, then it transitions to Ḧ.qy.

(b) It determines that the UTM simulation of its input would never halt
on its own, then it aborts its simulation and transitions to Ḧ.qn.

https://www.liarparadox.org/Peter_Linz_HP_315-320.pdf
Linz, Peter 1990. An Introduction to Formal Languages and Automata.
Lexington/Toronto: D. C. Heath and Company. (318-320)

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: What final state does simplified Linz Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ transition to?

<moWdnfP_UtP3OFX8nZ2dnUU7-f3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7699&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7699

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 11:24:57 -0600
Subject: Re:_What_final_state_does_simplified_Linz_Ĥ_applie
d to ⟨Ĥ⟩ transition to?
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 17:24 UTC

On 12/26/2021 11:08 AM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 12/26/21 9:08 AM, olcott wrote:

>>> The problem is that, if H DID get the right answer, it would be
>>> Halting, but the algorithm you have described can't get there,
>>> because H can never simulate a copy of H that needs to simulate a
>>> copy of H ... until some version sees that the copy it is
>>> simulatating finishs and the simulation reachs a Halt state. The
>>> problem is the simulator needs to see more instructions simulated
>>> then it has executed itself.
>>>

>> That is factually incorrect.
>
> What is wrong with it? You seem to be short on actual facts and long on
> unproven (and often incorrect) claims.

Someone that understands what I am saying can figure out what the actual
facts are on the basis of what I already said.

Someone that does not understand what I am saying will simply reject any
explanation that I make.

> Your definition of how H will determine halting makes it IMPOSSIBLE for
> this sort of recursive operation to detect a halting state, due to the
> limitations in H, basically, your H has no way to see how a computation
> it is simulating will use the results of a usage of a copy of H, so
> can't handle at all this sort of machine.

When you say that it is impossible to detect what is essentially
infinite recursion those that fully understand what I said will realize
that your statement is simply ridiculous.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: What final state does simplified Linz Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ transition to?

<NbmdndDuoM17LlX8nZ2dnUU7-SXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7700&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7700

Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 12:26:43 -0600
d to ⟨Ĥ⟩ transition to?
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 18:26 UTC

On 12/26/2021 12:03 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 12/26/21 12:24 PM, olcott wrote:

>>> What is wrong with it? You seem to be short on actual facts and long
>>> on unproven (and often incorrect) claims.
>>>

>> Someone that understands what I am saying can figure out what the
>> actual facts are on the basis of what I already said.
>>
>> Someone that does not understand what I am saying will simply reject
>> any explanation that I make.
>

> More boostful claims with ZERO facts.
>
> PROVE IT.
>
> FAIL.
>
>>> Your definition of how H will determine halting makes it IMPOSSIBLE
>>> for this sort of recursive operation to detect a halting state, due
>>> to the limitations in H, basically, your H has no way to see how a
>>> computation it is simulating will use the results of a usage of a
>>> copy of H, so can't handle at all this sort of machine.
>>>

>> When you say that it is impossible to detect what is essentially
>> infinite recursion those that fully understand what I said will
>> realize that your statement is simply ridiculous.
>>

> The problem is that there is only infinite recursion if H fails to meet
> its requirement to answer.

Not when you understand that the behavior of a pure UTM simulation is
the correct criterion measure:

H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qy // iff UTM(wM, w) halts
H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qn // iff UTM(wM, w) does not halt

The criterion measure is what the pure simulation would do not what the
impure simulation does do.

The teacher tests the student without interference by the teacher.
Interference by the teacher invalidates the test.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: What final state does simplified Linz Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ transition to?

<SOWdnVDv7IctQlT8nZ2dnUU7-LvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7703&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7703

Followup: comp.theory
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 09:45:51 -0600
d to ⟨Ĥ⟩ transition to?
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 15:45 UTC

On 12/27/2021 8:50 AM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:
>
>> On 12/26/2021 7:17 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>
>>> But for me, the main point is that if you use a comment symbol where a
>>> mathematical constraint should be, please /don't/ say it's my
>>> notation.
>
> You appear to have stopped, at least for now.
>
>> I can't get Richard to understand that this:
>> H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qy iff UTM(wM, w) halts
>> H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qn iff UTM(wM, w) does not halt
>>
>> Means this:
>> We are reporting on what the behavior of Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩
>> would be if the embedded H was replaced by a UTM.
>
> Because it does not. And since the notation is mine, you don't get to
> say what it means. You can ask questions, but that's about it.
>
>> When applied to this:
>> Ḧq0 ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⊢* Ḧ.qx ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⊢* Ḧ.qy
>> Ḧq0 ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⊢* Ḧ.qx ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⊢* Ḧ.qn
>
> When applied to those lines, the conditions become
>
> Ḧq0 ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⊢* Ḧ.qx ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⊢* Ḧ.qy iff UTM(⟨Ḧ⟩ ⟨Ḧ⟩) halts, and
> Ḧq0 ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⊢* Ḧ.qx ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⟨Ḧ⟩ ⊢* Ḧ.qn iff UTM(⟨Ḧ⟩ ⟨Ḧ⟩) does not halt.
>
> and since from those lines we can see that Ḧ(⟨Ḧ⟩) clearly halts, you

Let's now go back to the original Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩

Ĥq0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞ iff UTM(⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩) halts, and
Ĥq0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn iff UTM(⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩) does not halt.

Unless you assume that the embedded H at Ĥ.qx transitions to Ĥ.qn on the
basis that UTM(⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩) does not halt there is no basis to determine
whether or not Ĥ(⟨Ĥ⟩) halts.