From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free Game: Daggerfall Unity
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 20:18:27 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 00:18 UTC

I'm sort of hesitant to call it a 'free game', since -as far as I can
tell - it's not a commercial-product gone gratis, but a fan project
gaining semi-official recognition... still, it is a game and you don't
have to pay money to play it, so...

Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall has long been free on GOG, but - it being
a DOS game from 1996 - it's visuals were extremely dated, and - being
a Bethedsa game - its gameplay was extremely buggy. Fans have long
worked to fix both problems by porting the game to the Unity engine
(called, unimaginatively, Daggerfall Unity).

Which brings us to the free game in question: Daggerfall Unity - GOG
Cut (https://www.gog.com/en/game/daggerfall_unity_gog_cut), which is
essentially a rebundling of the fan project in an easy-to-install
package. Just download and install; no fuss, no muss.

Now, on the one hand its great that a major distributor is offering
this as a product; it's a pretty good way to experience a classic
game, it gets the project some needed recognition, and (hopefully)
some legal protection should Bethesda ne Microsoft suddenly look
askance at this reworking of their IP. On the other hand, it also
makes it look as if GOG itself had anything to do with the project
(other than chuck it into an installer and upload it to their
website), and that seems sorta skeevy to me. But maybe its just me.

Still, if you like the Elder Scrolls games there's no reason not to
grab this one; by nature it's not something they can charge money for
it. Pick it up at your leisure, or - if you want the unGOGified
original, visit
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall_Mod:Daggerfall_Unity and get
started with your own personalized version ;-)

Re: Free Game: Daggerfall Unity

<q3cmahd1ne8ckk5c44hup6tipok0vn6hcp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7713&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7713

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Free Game: Daggerfall Unity
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 09:33:44 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 16 Jun 2022 13:33 UTC

On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 20:18:27 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Still, if you like the Elder Scrolls games there's no reason not to
>grab this one; by nature it's not something they can charge money for
>it. Pick it up at your leisure, or - if you want the unGOGified
>original, visit
>https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall_Mod:Daggerfall_Unity and get
>started with your own personalized version ;-)

I installed Daggerfall Unity awhile ago with a bunch of mods, both
gameplay and visual mods. I wonder which mods GOG installed in their
version.

I think I will check this out. Thank you for the post Spalls.

Re: Free Game: Daggerfall Unity

<518d6509-d93a-448d-a427-0e6f09a6065fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7733&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7733

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 18:21:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 01:21 UTC

On Wednesday, June 15, 2022 at 5:18:42 PM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall has long been free on GOG, but - it being
> a DOS game from 1996 - it's visuals were extremely dated, and - being
> a Bethedsa game - its gameplay was extremely buggy. Fans have long
> worked to fix both problems by porting the game to the Unity engine
> (called, unimaginatively, Daggerfall Unity).
>
> Which brings us to the free game in question: Daggerfall Unity - GOG
> Cut (https://www.gog.com/en/game/daggerfall_unity_gog_cut), which is
> essentially a rebundling of the fan project in an easy-to-install
> package. Just download and install; no fuss, no muss.

Got it, thanks!

I every so often think of playing Daggerfall again, but the bugs and
really old look make me reconsider. I might actually try this one.

- Justisaur