Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 10:27:26 -0600
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Subject: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V43 [where people get
stuck]
 by: olcott - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 16:27 UTC

Proving that embedded_H at Ĥ.qx correctly maps its inputs ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to
Ĥ.qn on the basis of the behavior of the UTM simulation of these inputs.

*My criterion measure with Ben's notational conventions*
H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qy iff UTM(wM, w) halts
H.q0 wM w ⊢* H.qn iff UTM(wM, w) does not halt

We know that H would correctly decide the halt status of its input on
the basis of correctly deciding the halt status of the UTM simulation of
its input.

We know this because a UTM simulation of the Turing machine description
is computationally equivalent to the direct execution of this same
Turing machine.

Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞ iff UTM(⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩) at Ĥ.qx halts.
Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn iff UTM(⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩) at Ĥ.qx does not halt.

THIS IS WHERE PEOPLE GET STUCK
THIS IS WHERE PEOPLE GET STUCK
THIS IS WHERE PEOPLE GET STUCK

The criterion measure of H applies recursively such that the UTM would
simulate itself.

The following is the UTM simulation of a single input pair:
(a) copies its input ⟨Ĥ⟩ to ⟨Ĥ⟩
(b) simulates ⟨Ĥ⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ with the UTM

We know that this means that when embedded_H computes the mapping from
its input ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to Ĥ.qy or Ĥ.qn on the basis of the behavior of the
UTM simulation of this input that its transition to Ĥ.qn is correct.

https://www.liarparadox.org/Peter_Linz_HP_315-320.pdf

Linz, Peter 1990. An Introduction to Formal Languages and Automata.
Lexington/Toronto: D. C. Heath and Company. (315-320)

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V43 [where people get stuck]

<Q5GdnaA9H6CzHlL8nZ2dnUU7-e3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7720&group=comp.ai.philosophy#7720

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 16:24:40 -0600
Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V43 [where people
get stuck]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<weJzJ.52153$bn2.36806@fx12.iad>
<EeCdneJ1iJHf_lL8nZ2dnUU7-N3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<83KzJ.212093$1d1.209379@fx99.iad>
<BbmdnZ-ygveK8lL8nZ2dnUU7-RfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<MDKzJ.251382$IW4.243734@fx48.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 22:24 UTC

On 12/31/2021 3:30 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> So if H IS a pure simulator, the correct answer is Non-Halting, but a
>>> pure simulator will never abort itself to give that. H FAILS.
>>>

>> computation that halts
>> ...the Turing machine will halt whenever it enters a final state.
>> (Linz:1990:234)
>>
>> The fact that the input to embedded_H never reaches its final state
>> whether or not its simulation is ever aborted conclusively proves that
>> this input never halts therefore when embedded_H transitions to Ĥ.qn
>> it is necessarily correct.
>>

> WRONG, because the ACTUAL Turing Machine that is represented in the
> input WILL reach its final state,

This is why I need an actual computer scientist to review my work.

An actual computer scientist will understand that embedded_H does
compute the mapping from these inputs finite strings ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to this
final state Ĥ.qn on the basis that the actual input would never halt.