Got Mole problems? Call Avogadro at 6.02 x 10^23.

computers / alt.os.linux.suse / Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menu

SubjectAuthor
* Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menubad sector
+* Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menuMalcolm
|`* Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menubad sector
| `* Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menuCarlos E.R.
|  `* Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menubad sector
|   `* Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menuCarlos E.R.
|    `- Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menubad sector
`* Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menuDon Spam's Reckless Son
 +- Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menuCarlos E.R.
 +- Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menubad sector
 `- Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menuEric

1
Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menu

<fSednW8E7OnhGZ_5nZ2dnZfqnPUAAAAA@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=763&group=alt.os.linux.suse#763

From: pos...@invalid.org (bad sector)
Subject: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menu
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 23:36:28 +0000
 by: bad sector - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 23:36 UTC

Not sure if this is intentional and I'm perfectly
capable of doing a manual boot but I've noticed
that beginning a good few updates ago the only
distro in the grub menu is TW even though "Probe
Foreign OS" is checked in the Yast dialog.

--
"Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice;
moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue".

Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menu

<20230303182355.2668a7cb@grover.homelinux.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=764&group=alt.os.linux.suse#764

From: malcolml...@linuxmail.org.invalid (Malcolm)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menu
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 18:23:55 -0600
 by: Malcolm - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 00:23 UTC

On Fri, 03 Mar 2023 23:36:28 +0000
bad sector <postit@invalid.org> wrote:

> Not sure if this is intentional and I'm perfectly
> capable of doing a manual boot but I've noticed
> that beginning a good few updates ago the only
> distro in the grub menu is TW even though "Probe
> Foreign OS" is checked in the Yast dialog.

Hi
If you run (as root user) os-prober, does it show the other
installations?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20230302 | GNOME Shell 43.3 | 6.2.1-1-default

Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menu

<ttv83h$v30a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=765&group=alt.os.linux.suse#765

From: hyperspa...@vogon.gov.invalid (Don Spam's Reckless Son)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 11:55:45 +0100
 by: Don Spam's Reck - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 10:55 UTC

bad sector wrote:

> Not sure if this is intentional and I'm perfectly
> capable of doing a manual boot but I've noticed
> that beginning a good few updates ago the only
> distro in the grub menu is TW even though "Probe
> Foreign OS" is checked in the Yast dialog.

A trick Carlos posted a couple of years back was to use yast2 to update
something trivial in the bootmanager config (the number of seconds to
wait, for example) to force a re-evaluation of the situation.
I use Leap and have not had this problem for some time now but it used
to fix the problem for me.

Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menu

<m9rbdjxj1n.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=766&group=alt.os.linux.suse#766

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 13:48:22 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 12:48 UTC

On 2023-03-04 11:55, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> bad sector wrote:
>>
>> Not sure if this is intentional and I'm perfectly
>> capable of doing a manual boot but I've noticed
>> that beginning a good few updates ago the only
>> distro in the grub menu is TW even though "Probe
>> Foreign OS" is checked in the Yast dialog.
>>

> A trick Carlos posted a couple of years back was to use yast2 to update
> something trivial in the bootmanager config (the number of seconds to
> wait, for example) to force a re-evaluation of the situation.
> I use Leap and have not had this problem for some time now but it used
> to fix the problem for me.

Yes, in the configure boot module of YaST, changing the timeout forces
YaST to write every config file it can touch in /boot. Probably a side
effect, non intentional, but nevertheless, useful.

But I don't think that would help in this case. What Malcom said is the
way to go, I think.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menu

<_pOcnf3TJLsa3Z75nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=767&group=alt.os.linux.suse#767

From: pos...@invalid.org (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 12:58:47 +0000
 by: bad sector - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 12:58 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 18:23:55 -0600, Malcolm wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Mar 2023 23:36:28 +0000 bad sector <postit@invalid.org>
> wrote:
>

>> Not sure if this is intentional and I'm perfectly capable of doing a
>> manual boot but I've noticed that beginning a good few updates ago the
>> only distro in the grub menu is TW even though "Probe Foreign OS" is
>> checked in the Yast dialog.
>>

> Hi If you run (as root user) os-prober, does it show the other
> installations?

Instead I get this:

81.482673 | Warning: multipath devices exist, but multipathd service is
not running

these were already installed:
libmpath0
multipath toolsd

so I also installed 6 other packages that multipath
in the Yast searchbox coughed up, plus another few
dozen depends and relateds and rebooted.

Then I did

# service multipathd start

and os-prober now doesn't bomb, it just returns nothing.

I had saved out the installed packages list before all this
and have backleveled to that list (total of 63 removed).

Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menu

<GNOdnUeUe-7J2J75nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=768&group=alt.os.linux.suse#768

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 08:19:15 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 13:19 UTC

On 3/4/23 05:55, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> bad sector wrote:
>>
>> Not sure if this is intentional and I'm perfectly
>> capable of doing a manual boot but I've noticed
>> that beginning a good few updates ago the only
>> distro in the grub menu is TW even though "Probe
>> Foreign OS" is checked in the Yast dialog.
>
> A trick Carlos posted a couple of years back was to use yast2 to update
> something trivial in the bootmanager config (the number of seconds to
> wait, for example) to force a re-evaluation of the situation.
> I use Leap and have not had this problem for some time now but it used
> to fix the problem for me.

No, the problem is in TW only and in my case at least
only since one of the latter-day but no saint updates

But I do have 7 distros installed, all of them with a
/boot partition and only God knows how many freakin'
config files systems-wide which is why I use only Leap
to do the grub ritual. However every time TW gets an
update it automatically redeploys grub boot code whereas
only a configs edit might be required but this last
bit would be way above my pay-grade. I would need
to tell zypper(?) that ANOTHER system is in charge
of booting and so to leave the disk root alone.

Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menu

<80ccdjx04q.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=769&group=alt.os.linux.suse#769

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 18:33:28 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 17:33 UTC

On 2023-03-04 13:58, bad sector wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 18:23:55 -0600, Malcolm wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 03 Mar 2023 23:36:28 +0000 bad sector <postit@invalid.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Not sure if this is intentional and I'm perfectly capable of doing a
>>> manual boot but I've noticed that beginning a good few updates ago the
>>> only distro in the grub menu is TW even though "Probe Foreign OS" is
>>> checked in the Yast dialog.
>>>

>> Hi If you run (as root user) os-prober, does it show the other
>> installations?
>

> Instead I get this:
>
> 81.482673 | Warning: multipath devices exist, but multipathd service is
> not running
>
> these were already installed:
> libmpath0
> multipath toolsd
>
> so I also installed 6 other packages that multipath
> in the Yast searchbox coughed up, plus another few
> dozen depends and relateds and rebooted.
>
> Then I did
>
> # service multipathd start

But are you really using multipath?

What does multipath do in Linux?

Device mapper multipathing (which we will refer to as multipath) allows
you to configure multiple input/output (I/O) paths between server nodes
and storage arrays into a single device. These I/O paths are physical
storage area network (SAN) connections that can include separate cables,
switches, and controllers.

Device mapper multipathing - introduction - Ubuntu
Ubuntu
Search for: Wh

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menu

<XwydnYoK1bGfCZ75nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=770&group=alt.os.linux.suse#770

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 13:55:00 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 18:55 UTC

On 3/4/23 12:33, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-03-04 13:58, bad sector wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 18:23:55 -0600, Malcolm wrote:

>>> Hi If you run (as root user) os-prober, does it show the other
>>> installations?
>>

>> Instead I get this:
>>
>> 81.482673 | Warning: multipath devices exist, but multipathd service is
>> not running
>>
>> these were already installed:
>> libmpath0
>> multipath toolsd
>>
>> so I also installed 6 other packages that multipath
>> in the Yast searchbox coughed up, plus another few
>> dozen depends and relateds and rebooted.
>>
>> Then I did
>>
>> # service multipathd start
>
> But are you really using multipath?
>

> What does multipath do in Linux?
>
> Device mapper multipathing (which we will refer to as multipath) allows
> you to configure multiple input/output (I/O) paths between server nodes
> and storage arrays into a single device. These I/O paths are physical
> storage area network (SAN) connections that can include separate cables,
> switches, and controllers.
>
> Device mapper multipathing - introduction - Ubuntu
> Ubuntu
> Search for: Wh

If I needed it I would know about it, like I know about plain-jane grub
menu files that went out with grub legacy. But this is the first time
that I hear about multipath. So maybe TW is trying to cover all angles
including multipath even on those machines that have only one path, like
mine, on which it was never needed or installed?

Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menu

<lrtcdjxdr5.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=771&group=alt.os.linux.suse#771

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 23:38:13 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 22:38 UTC

On 2023-03-04 19:55, bad sector wrote:
> On 3/4/23 12:33, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> Instead I get this:
>>>
>>> 81.482673 | Warning: multipath devices exist, but multipathd service is
>>> not running
>>>
>>> these were already installed:
>>> libmpath0
>>> multipath toolsd
>>>
>>> so I also installed 6 other packages that multipath
>>> in the Yast searchbox coughed up, plus another few
>>> dozen depends and relateds and rebooted.
>>>
>>> Then I did
>>>
>>> # service multipathd start
>>
>> But are you really using multipath?
>>

>> What does multipath do in Linux?
>>
>> Device mapper multipathing (which we will refer to as multipath)
>> allows you to configure multiple input/output (I/O) paths between
>> server nodes and storage arrays into a single device. These I/O paths
>> are physical storage area network (SAN) connections that can include
>> separate cables, switches, and controllers.
>>
>> Device mapper multipathing - introduction - Ubuntu
>> Ubuntu
>> Search for: Wh
>

> If I needed it I would know about it, like I know about plain-jane grub
> menu files that went out with grub legacy. But this is the first time
> that I hear about multipath. So maybe TW is trying to cover all angles
> including multipath even on those machines that have only one path, like
> mine, on which it was never needed or installed?

I have libmpath0 installed. On Leap. os-prober says nothing about it.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menu

<nNqcnc9zf7zdlJn5nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=772&group=alt.os.linux.suse#772

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 22:15:17 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 03:15 UTC

On 3/4/23 17:38, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-03-04 19:55, bad sector wrote:

>>> But are you really using multipath?
>>>

>>> What does multipath do in Linux?
>>>
>>> Device mapper multipathing (which we will refer to as multipath)
>>> allows you to configure multiple input/output (I/O) paths between
>>> server nodes and storage arrays into a single device. These I/O paths
>>> are physical storage area network (SAN) connections that can include
>>> separate cables, switches, and controllers.
>>>
>>> Device mapper multipathing - introduction - Ubuntu
>>> Ubuntu
>>> Search for: Wh
>>

>> If I needed it I would know about it, like I know about plain-jane
>> grub menu files that went out with grub legacy. But this is the first
>> time that I hear about multipath. So maybe TW is trying to cover all
>> angles including multipath even on those machines that have only one
>> path, like mine, on which it was never needed or installed?
>
> I have libmpath0 installed. On Leap. os-prober says nothing about it.

On Leap it all just works as it should. Installed are

libmpath0
libvirt-daemon-driver-storage-mpath
multipath-tools

I didn't ask for any of these so the system must have.

--
Anonymity is the sole reliable witness of real society, be the image
good or bad, and of free speech, two things without which the truth

Re: Tumbleweed sets tumbleweed only in grub menu

<HbCcnUbXuoyZtJn5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=773&group=alt.os.linux.suse#773

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 22:30:44 -0700
From: eri...@cox.net (Eric)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
 by: Eric - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 05:30 UTC

On 3/4/23 03:55, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> bad sector wrote:
>>
>> Not sure if this is intentional and I'm perfectly
>> capable of doing a manual boot but I've noticed
>> that beginning a good few updates ago the only
>> distro in the grub menu is TW even though "Probe
>> Foreign OS" is checked in the Yast dialog.
>>

> A trick Carlos posted a couple of years back was to use yast2 to update
> something trivial in the bootmanager config (the number of seconds to
> wait, for example) to force a re-evaluation of the situation.
> I use Leap and have not had this problem for some time now but it used
> to fix the problem for me.

I also use yast control center to manager the boot loader for a laptop
with 4 operating systems. It works great even though I had a bad
experience it with last week when I had the yast boot loader dialog open
when I got distracted. My cat got on the keyboard and without me paying
attention, the menu got changed from grub2-efi to grub2 and the enable
trusted boot support box got checked. On reboot, I only had the error
"Trustedgrub2 no TPM found error" with nothing else and no options. I
was beginning to think I had bricked my laptop as I had no idea what to
do to fix it.

After many hours of searching and fooling with the bios I was able to
boot up a USB stick and chroot into the opensuse installation, run yast
and install the boot loader properly. All is good now.