Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed. -- Francis Bacon

computers / comp.sys.mac.apps / Re: How to format android SD card under data

SubjectAuthor
* How to format android SD card under dataDManzaluni
`* Re: How to format android SD card under datacorvid
 +- Re: How to format android SD card under dataDManzaluni
 `* Re: How to format android SD card under datanospam
  +- Re: How to format android SD card under dataDManzaluni
  `* Re: How to format android SD card under dataJolly Roger
   `* Re: How to format android SD card under datacorvid
    `- Re: How to format android SD card under dataJolly Roger

1
How to format android SD card under data

<a9514027-3dfb-400a-ac5b-8301dca83481n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=768&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#768

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 12:55:59 -0800 (PST)
Subject: How to format android SD card under data
From: dmanzal...@gmail.com (DManzaluni)
 by: DManzaluni - Thu, 3 Mar 2022 20:55 UTC

I am having a problem with doubletwist. Songs, artwork and whole albums are disappearing from my half-full 128gb SD card. Everything works fine on it on my Galaxy and it stores all my apps and data. But I cant update it on my Mojave 2016 MBP from iTunes because when I plug the card into my MBP, it has suddenly started demanding what it calls "initialisation"!

I am VERY reluctant to screw with it for fear everything will stop working on it. Is there anything safe which I can do to "initialise" it or to let it update (?) from Doubletwist to the newer "doubleTwist Classic Player alpha" (assuming doubleTwist Classic Player alpha IS an update of doubleTwist?)

Re: How to format android SD card under data

<svrfbt$d17$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=770&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#770

From: bl...@ckb.ird (corvid)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Subject: Re: How to format android SD card under data
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 14:27:09 -0800
 by: corvid - Thu, 3 Mar 2022 22:27 UTC

On 3/3/22 12:55, DManzaluni wrote:
> I am having a problem with doubletwist. Songs, artwork and whole
> albums are disappearing from my half-full 128gb SD card.
> Everything works fine on it on my Galaxy and it stores all my apps
> and data. But I cant update it on my Mojave 2016 MBP from iTunes
> because when I plug the card into my MBP, it has suddenly started
> demanding what it calls "initialisation"!
>
> I am VERY reluctant to screw with it for fear everything will stop
> working on it. Is there anything safe which I can do to
> "initialise" it or to let it update (?) from Doubletwist to the newer
> "doubleTwist Classic Player alpha" (assuming doubleTwist Classic
> Player alpha IS an update of doubleTwist?)

Don't take a risk without having backups of everything within its reach.

I never heard of Doubletwist before, but
"the software imported multiple duplicates of nearly every song in our
library, despite the fact they currently only live in one folder."
<https://download.cnet.com/DoubleTwist/3000-2139_4-10825270.html>

I remember someone once posted about losing a "bootleg" music collection
when they let it pass through iTunes for whatever reason. All gone,
replaced with standard album releases of the same songs.

Re: How to format android SD card under data

<14b781c1-e25f-477c-83fc-ebac4eb8614an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=771&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#771

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 14:33:45 -0800 (PST)
From: dmanzal...@gmail.com (DManzaluni)
 by: DManzaluni - Thu, 3 Mar 2022 22:33 UTC

yes, I also heard that urban myth about DRM replacing bootleg songs with supposedly legal versions, but I didn't believe it! The other story sounds like someone who didnt know what they were doing who didnt realise they had kept importing libraries when they didnt realise that the libraries had already downloaded.

Re: How to format android SD card under data

<030320221736331148%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=772&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#772

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 17:36:33 -0500
 by: nospam - Thu, 3 Mar 2022 22:36 UTC

In article <svrfbt$d17$1@gioia.aioe.org>, corvid <bl@ckb.ird> wrote:

> I remember someone once posted about losing a "bootleg" music collection
> when they let it pass through iTunes for whatever reason. All gone,
> replaced with standard album releases of the same songs.

the reason is because that's what the user told itunes to do, most
likely as part of itunes match, a service they not only have to
activate, but also pay for.

itunes match will match existing songs in the user's library with ones
in apple's catalogue and *optionally* replace them with higher quality
versions, if the user chooses to do so.

it does not (nor cannot) happen randomly.

tl;dr - user error.

Re: How to format android SD card under data

<3d2770b5-0352-4cf3-8422-9017b94cdb4bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=773&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#773

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 19:02:36 -0800 (PST)
From: dmanzal...@gmail.com (DManzaluni)
 by: DManzaluni - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 03:02 UTC

yes, that makes sense. entirely not random

Re: How to format android SD card under data

<j8f7pdF8ueeU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=775&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#775

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: 4 Mar 2022 19:31:58 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 19:31 UTC

On 2022-03-03, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <svrfbt$d17$1@gioia.aioe.org>, corvid <bl@ckb.ird> wrote:
>
>> I remember someone once posted about losing a "bootleg" music
>> collection when they let it pass through iTunes for whatever reason.
>> All gone, replaced with standard album releases of the same songs.
>
> the reason is because that's what the user told itunes to do, most
> likely as part of itunes match, a service they not only have to
> activate, but also pay for.
>
> itunes match will match existing songs in the user's library with ones
> in apple's catalogue and *optionally* replace them with higher quality
> versions, if the user chooses to do so.
>
> it does not (nor cannot) happen randomly.
>
> tl;dr - user error.

As a longtime subscriber to iTunes Match, I can confirm this from
first-hand experience. iTunes Match is an optional and opt-in service
that costs $24.99 per year.

When a song in your library is matched with Apple's music catalog, you
have the *option* (it's completely optional and opt-in) of deleting your
own song from your own library on your device, and can download a
high-quality DRM-free version of the matched song from Apple's online
catalog - this whole process is a *manual* process.

What's really cool about it is: Apple doesn't care where your local songs
come from - they could be crappy MP3s downloaded from literally anywhere
- and you can replace them with pristine high-quality DRM-free versions
from Apple's catalog to keep forever with no additional surcharge, even
if you eventually cancel your iTunes Match subscription.

iTunes Match also makes your entire music library available for
on-demand streaming on all of your devices, which means you no longer
have to copy your music library to each of your devices or keep it
updated on them, which saves you time and tons of storage space on your
devices - space that those song files would otherwise occupy.

It all works great and is well worth the cheap $2/month fee, IMHO.

JR

Re: How to format android SD card under data

<svu16l$19b0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=776&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#776

From: bl...@ckb.ird (corvid)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 13:43:48 -0800
 by: corvid - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 21:43 UTC

On 3/4/22 11:31, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2022-03-03, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> In article <svrfbt$d17$1@gioia.aioe.org>, corvid <bl@ckb.ird>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I remember someone once posted about losing a "bootleg" music
>>> collection when they let it pass through iTunes for whatever
>>> reason. All gone, replaced with standard album releases of the
>>> same songs.
>>
>> the reason is because that's what the user told itunes to do, most
>> likely as part of itunes match, a service they not only have to
>> activate, but also pay for.
>>
>> itunes match will match existing songs in the user's library with
>> ones in apple's catalogue and *optionally* replace them with higher
>> quality versions, if the user chooses to do so.
>>
>> it does not (nor cannot) happen randomly.
>>
>> tl;dr - user error.
>
> As a longtime subscriber to iTunes Match, I can confirm this from
> first-hand experience. iTunes Match is an optional and opt-in
> service that costs $24.99 per year.
>
> When a song in your library is matched with Apple's music catalog,
> you have the *option* (it's completely optional and opt-in) of
> deleting your own song from your own library on your device, and can
> download a high-quality DRM-free version of the matched song from
> Apple's online catalog - this whole process is a *manual* process.
>
> What's really cool about it is: Apple doesn't care where your local
> songs come from - they could be crappy MP3s downloaded from literally
> anywhere - and you can replace them with pristine high-quality
> DRM-free versions from Apple's catalog to keep forever with no
> additional surcharge, even if you eventually cancel your iTunes Match
> subscription.
>
> iTunes Match also makes your entire music library available for
> on-demand streaming on all of your devices, which means you no
> longer have to copy your music library to each of your devices or
> keep it updated on them, which saves you time and tons of storage
> space on your devices - space that those song files would otherwise
> occupy.
>
> It all works great and is well worth the cheap $2/month fee, IMHO.

Wow! I thought that posting about it here might only wake up that
childish and nauseating troll (not saying it”s Andy Burnelli, and not
saying it isn’t).

Re: How to format android SD card under data

<j8h8smFkrnaU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=777&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#777

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: 5 Mar 2022 14:03:02 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 14:03 UTC

On 2022-03-04, corvid <bl@ckb.ird> wrote:
> On 3/4/22 11:31, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2022-03-03, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> the reason is because that's what the user told itunes to do, most
>>> likely as part of itunes match, a service they not only have to
>>> activate, but also pay for.
>>>
>>> itunes match will match existing songs in the user's library with
>>> ones in apple's catalogue and *optionally* replace them with higher
>>> quality versions, if the user chooses to do so.
>>>
>>> it does not (nor cannot) happen randomly.
>>>
>>> tl;dr - user error.
>>
>> As a longtime subscriber to iTunes Match, I can confirm this from
>> first-hand experience. iTunes Match is an optional and opt-in service
>> that costs $24.99 per year.
>>
>> When a song in your library is matched with Apple's music catalog,
>> you have the *option* (it's completely optional and opt-in) of
>> deleting your own song from your own library on your device, and can
>> download a high-quality DRM-free version of the matched song from
>> Apple's online catalog - this whole process is a *manual* process.
>>
>> What's really cool about it is: Apple doesn't care where your local
>> songs come from - they could be crappy MP3s downloaded from literally
>> anywhere - and you can replace them with pristine high-quality
>> DRM-free versions from Apple's catalog to keep forever with no
>> additional surcharge, even if you eventually cancel your iTunes Match
>> subscription.
>>
>> iTunes Match also makes your entire music library available for
>> on-demand streaming on all of your devices, which means you no longer
>> have to copy your music library to each of your devices or keep it
>> updated on them, which saves you time and tons of storage space on
>> your devices - space that those song files would otherwise occupy.
>>
>> It all works great and is well worth the cheap $2/month fee, IMHO.
>>
> Wow! I thought that posting about it here might only wake up that
> childish and nauseating troll (not saying it”s Andy Burnelli, and not
> saying it isn’t).

I suspect you just jinxed this thread... ; /

JR