From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Another rebuttal of Halting Problem? [Mikko is correct]
[tautology]
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:11:09 -0600
<uouk8n$2fhc2$1@dont-email.me> <uoula7$2fl56$2@dont-email.me>
<uounjo$2g183$2@dont-email.me> <uount2$2g0v8$2@dont-email.me>
<uour3o$2gjbt$1@dont-email.me> <uous83$2go0l$1@dont-email.me>
<uov67n$2hvi2$3@dont-email.me> <uov7vs$2m2vv$1@dont-email.me>
<uov8se$hmsl$1@i2pn2.org> <up22uo$38p53$2@dont-email.me>
<up387d$mrhm$6@i2pn2.org> <up3bct$3ejq8$10@dont-email.me>
<up3e27$mrhm$12@i2pn2.org> <up3h8f$3fve5$1@dont-email.me>
<up3iik$mrhm$17@i2pn2.org> <up3knn$3gfat$5@dont-email.me>
<up3l6g$3ghup$4@dont-email.me> <up5kkc$3ud3c$1@dont-email.me>
<up5q3q$3v8ho$1@dont-email.me> <up666v$1p8m$1@dont-email.me>
<up67f7$1s2m$3@dont-email.me> <up7m5e$ch7b$1@dont-email.me>
<up8dbv$g8m8$3@dont-email.me> <up8lmn$hq1h$1@dont-email.me>
<up8ni4$i3pq$1@dont-email.me> <upam9l$vcb2$1@dont-email.me>
<upb2qd$11ahk$2@dont-email.me> <upcvqe$1eh57$1@dont-email.me>
<updm55$1ies8$1@dont-email.me> <upduoa$1jv3u$1@dont-email.me>
 by: olcott - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 17:11 UTC

On 1/31/2024 11:07 AM, immibis wrote:
> On 1/31/24 15:40, olcott wrote:

>>> No, it doesn't. It merely indicates what a proof of certain kind
>>> must prove.
>>>

>> *THE FOLLOWING IS A TAUTOLOGY*
>> When one understands that H is always correct to abort any
>> simulation that cannot possibly stop running unless aborted
>>
>> 01 int D(ptr x)  // ptr is pointer to int function
>> 02 {
>> 03   int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
>> 04   if (Halt_Status)
>> 05     HERE: goto HERE;
>> 06   return Halt_Status;
>> 07 }
>> 08
>> 09 void main()
>> 10 {
>> 11   H(D,D);
>> 12 }
>>
>> as every H specified by the above template must do then each
>> and every element of this infinite set is correct to abort
>> its simulation of D and reject its input D as non-halting.
>>

> This is saying: If H doesn't abort its simulation then H is correct to
> abort its simulation.

All halt deciders must predict what the behavior of their
input would be.

*PREMISE* (self evident truth)
*When one understands that simulating termination analyzer H*
*is always correct to abort any simulation that cannot possibly*
*stop running unless aborted*

01 int D(ptr x) // ptr is pointer to int function
02 {
03 int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
04 if (Halt_Status)
05 HERE: goto HERE;
06 return Halt_Status;
07 }
08
09 void main()
10 {
11 H(D,D);
12 }

*IS LOGICALLY ENTAILED FROM PREMISE*
Then every simulating termination analyzer H specified by
the above template correctly aborts its simulation of D
and correctly rejects D as non-halting.

Pages 661 to 696 of Halt7.c specify the H that does this
https://github.com/plolcott/x86utm/blob/master/Halt7.c

This is true because halt deciders are requires to report on
the behavior that their input finite string specifies and
are not allowed to report on any other behavior.

Re: Another rebuttal of Halting Problem? [Mikko is correct] [tautology]

<upria7$eveq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7789&group=sci.logic#7789

From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
[tautology]
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 22:00:55 +0100
<uoula7$2fl56$2@dont-email.me> <uounjo$2g183$2@dont-email.me>
<uount2$2g0v8$2@dont-email.me> <uour3o$2gjbt$1@dont-email.me>
<uous83$2go0l$1@dont-email.me> <uov67n$2hvi2$3@dont-email.me>
<uov7vs$2m2vv$1@dont-email.me> <uov8se$hmsl$1@i2pn2.org>
<up22uo$38p53$2@dont-email.me> <up387d$mrhm$6@i2pn2.org>
<up3bct$3ejq8$10@dont-email.me> <up3e27$mrhm$12@i2pn2.org>
<up3h8f$3fve5$1@dont-email.me> <up3iik$mrhm$17@i2pn2.org>
<up3knn$3gfat$5@dont-email.me> <up3l6g$3ghup$4@dont-email.me>
<up5kkc$3ud3c$1@dont-email.me> <up5q3q$3v8ho$1@dont-email.me>
<up666v$1p8m$1@dont-email.me> <up67f7$1s2m$3@dont-email.me>
<up7m5e$ch7b$1@dont-email.me> <up8dbv$g8m8$3@dont-email.me>
<up8lmn$hq1h$1@dont-email.me> <up8ni4$i3pq$1@dont-email.me>
<upam9l$vcb2$1@dont-email.me> <upb2qd$11ahk$2@dont-email.me>
<upcvqe$1eh57$1@dont-email.me> <updm55$1ies8$1@dont-email.me>
<upduoa$1jv3u$1@dont-email.me> <upduvd$1ju7r$1@dont-email.me>
 by: immibis - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 21:00 UTC

On 31/01/24 18:11, olcott wrote:
> On 1/31/2024 11:07 AM, immibis wrote:
>> This is saying: If H doesn't abort its simulation then H is correct to
>> abort its simulation.
>
> All halt deciders must predict what the behavior of their
> input would be.

And yours predicts wrong.

Re: Another rebuttal of Halting Problem? [Mikko is correct] [tautology]

<vGadnZ5IxNNOC1z4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7794&group=sci.logic#7794

[tautology]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
<upduvd$1ju7r$1@dont-email.me> <upria7$eveq$1@dont-email.me>
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 18:18:10 -0800
 by: Ross Finlayson - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 02:18 UTC

On 02/05/2024 01:00 PM, immibis wrote:
> On 31/01/24 18:11, olcott wrote:
>> On 1/31/2024 11:07 AM, immibis wrote:
>>> This is saying: If H doesn't abort its simulation then H is correct
>>> to abort its simulation.
>>
>> All halt deciders must predict what the behavior of their
>> input would be.
>
> And yours predicts wrong.

One thing you're getting into is "quantifier disambiguation".

That is, for a given decider, there are undecideable inputs,
but, there exists a different decider, for which the same input's
decideable.

I.e., "for-any for-any" and "for-any for-all" and "for-all for-any"
and "for-all for-all", are four different disambiguations reflecting
quantifier application to the transfer principle or to that "for-each is
for-all", about breaking the quantifier down to at least

for-any <- at least one?
for-each <- going through?
for-every <- gone through?
for-all <- all as one?

that these sort of reflect why the universal quantifier suffers usual
quantifier ambiguities or the impredicative what with regards to
Feferman and quantifier disambiguation helps provide greater concrete
framings for the halting or traveling or branching or Entsheidungs.

This doesn't necessarily so help PO "validate his decider" but it does
illustrate that there are various concrete framings of what's otherwise
let out about static analysis generally, that specifically, there are
always approaches for static analysis to proceed, then as with respect
to existence proofs vis-a-vis demonstrations, and of course the very
notion of "completions", in logic and mathematics, of the "incomplete",
at all.

So, for things like the Sorites or Heap, quantifier disambiguation
doesn't go without saying, for such notions of predicativity and
impredicativity and even just "framing it in the second order" or
"under the conditions where the tape admits an arithmetization,
algebraization, or geometrization".

For tautology and identity and sameness and intensionality and
extensionality and such things, it's a lot about what things are,
"equal", as when, "almost", or the infinite or continuum limit,
vis-a-vis usually ordering theory.

Then, the usual idea that "the world of deciders is too big to find the
right one for an arbitrary input", still has that static analysis finds
most of the easy grapes, and, that the world of deciders is big enough
to include the input's own very one.

Not that it's very general, ....

So, it is a common misconclusion that "there exists an inscrutable input
for this decider" means "there exists inputs inscrutable any decider",
it's a usual error after impredicativity of quantifier ambiguity, where
logic sort of just has "next-higher-order" for these kinds of things,
and all sorts usual forms of concrete static analysis.

--
https://www.youtube.com/@rossfinlayson <- a "podcasts" or "vlog"