FORTH IF HONK THEN

computers / news.software.readers / Re: (Dialog) password asterisks

SubjectAuthor
* (Dialog) password asterisksLars Anders
+* Re: (Dialog) password asterisksBernd Rose
|`- Re: (Dialog) password asterisksLars Anders
+* Re: (Dialog) password asterisksVanguardLH
|`* Re: (Dialog) password asterisksLars Anders
| `- Re: (Dialog) password asterisksVanguardLH
`- Re: (Dialog) password asterisksSergio Lopez

1
(Dialog) password asterisks

<sso76s$1meb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=777&group=news.software.readers#777

From: larsande...@glocalnet.se (Lars Anders)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: (Dialog) password asterisks
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 08:00:32 +0100
 by: Lars Anders - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 07:00 UTC

New to 40tude Dialog.
I am the only user of the pc.
I do not care about hiding the password.
When I type server login password into Dialog the password is asterisked.
That is OK but then I need to keep a separate file for the real text.
That is OK again.
But is there an easy way to turn OFF the Dialog password asterisks?

Re: (Dialog) password asterisks

<1bpcg7doiii2a$.dlg@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=779&group=news.software.readers#779

From: b.rose.t...@arcor.de (Bernd Rose)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: Re: (Dialog) password asterisks
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 18:04:05 +0100
 by: Bernd Rose - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 17:04 UTC

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 08:00:32 +0100, Lars Anders wrote:

> is there an easy way to turn OFF the Dialog password asterisks?

Not permanently. But there are programs which let you take a peek
at the current entry. One (NirSoft BulletsPassView) is mentioned
in the German FAQ for 40tude Dialog:

https://www.barghahn-online.de/4td_faq/sicherheit.php#passwort
Automatic translation:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.barghahn-online.de/4td_faq/sicherheit.php#passwort

BulletsPassView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bullets_password_view.html

HTH.
Bernd

Re: (Dialog) password asterisks

<sspmot$19ne$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=780&group=news.software.readers#780

From: larsande...@glocalnet.se (Lars Anders)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:32:17 +0100
 by: Lars Anders - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:32 UTC

On 25 Jan 2022, Bernd Rose <b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de> wrote :

> BulletsPassView:
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bullets_password_view.html

I keeped trying after I hitted every buttons popups in the Windows Virus
Defender to download http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bulletspassview.zip

It worked!
Thanks, Bernd.
--
See fixed attribution with %newsgroups% removed as suggested to you!

Re: (Dialog) password asterisks

<17iavgtyjmzzs.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=782&group=news.software.readers#782

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 15:30:09 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:30 UTC

Lars Anders wrote:

> New to 40tude Dialog.
> I am the only user of the pc.
> I do not care about hiding the password.
> When I type server login password into Dialog the password is asterisked.
> That is OK but then I need to keep a separate file for the real text.
> That is OK again.
> But is there an easy way to turn OFF the Dialog password asterisks?

Save the password in the account you define in Dialog. Don't leave it
blank (I wasn't even aware it could be left blank to keep getting
re-prompted as you indicate). Then you never have to enter login
credentials when connecting to an NNTP server. You'll only have to add
the password to the account definition just the once when you create the
account definition in Dialog.

That does not preclude keeping a protected (encrypted) password list
somewhere. Whether passwords are shown or not, you may need to reenter
them later, like for a new instance of Dialog for a new computer setup.
If you need to change the account's password (on the server), like you
got hacked, you may need the old password to change to a new password.
Regardless of shown or not in apps or dialogs, you'll still need to keep
a record of passwords.

God forbid you're using the same password at every site. That is a
formula for getting hacked. If one site you visit gets hacked, your
common password can be used to hack across many sites trying to find
your accounts over there. Every site should get a *unique* password.
Don't share passwords across sites.

Re: (Dialog) password asterisks

<5a401d66-0c59-40bd-a523-1db9ae996b97n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=783&group=news.software.readers#783

Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 00:43:12 -0800 (PST)
From: slslope...@gmail.com (Sergio Lopez)
 by: Sergio Lopez - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 08:43 UTC

El martes, 25 de enero de 2022 a la(s) 1:00:47 a. m. UTC-6, Lars Anders escribió:
> New to 40tude Dialog.
> I am the only user of the pc.
> I do not care about hiding the password.
> When I type server login password into Dialog the password is asterisked.
> That is OK but then I need to keep a separate file for the real text.
> That is OK again.
> But is there an easy way to turn OFF the Dialog password asterisks?

Re: (Dialog) password asterisks

<ssvr5u$1iqm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=785&group=news.software.readers#785

From: larsande...@glocalnet.se (Lars Anders)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 05:24:16 +0100
 by: Lars Anders - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 04:24 UTC

On 25 Jan 2022, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote :

> Save the password in the account you define in Dialog. Don't leave it
> blank (I wasn't even aware it could be left blank to keep getting
> re-prompted as you indicate).

I do not want to save the password elsewhere than in Dialog newsreader.
The nntp server password is not important to hide from nobody see it.

> That does not preclude keeping a protected (encrypted) password list
> somewhere.

I could save the password for the NNTP server in a regular file.
It is not so important to hide.
No one looks at your shoulder.

But it's easier now.
I can drive Nirsoft BulletSpassview when I want seeing the password.

> Whether passwords are shown or not, you may need to reenter
> them later, like for a new instance of Dialog for a new computer setup.

This is where the not knowing password problem will be the worst.
It is better if dialog is just display the password with an instant look.

> If you need to change the account's password (on the server), like you
> got hacked, you may need the old password to change to a new password.
> Regardless of shown or not in apps or dialogs, you'll still need to keep
> a record of passwords.

I no longer need to save a password in plain text in extra new file.
This is because I can now view the password using Nirsoft BulletSpassview.
> God forbid you're using the same password at every site. That is a
> formula for getting hacked. If one site you visit gets hacked, your
> common password can be used to hack across many sites trying to find
> your accounts over there. Every site should get a *unique* password.
> Don't share passwords across sites.

Do not worry it.
Most administrators of Usenet servers assign you a password.
You may not choose which password they assign you.

It is not important what password it use.

Thank you VanguardLH!

Re: (Dialog) password asterisks

<1q8hxnt2c1yjy$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=789&group=news.software.readers#789

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 03:17:26 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 09:17 UTC

Lars Anders wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote :
>
>> Save the password in the account you define in Dialog. Don't leave
>> it blank (I wasn't even aware it could be left blank to keep getting
>> re-prompted as you indicate).
>
> I do not want to save the password elsewhere than in Dialog
> newsreader.

That's where I said to save the password. Getting prompted to reenter
the password means it wasn't saved in the Dialog account definition.
How often are you entering a password to use a Usenet provider?

>> Whether passwords are shown or not, you may need to reenter
>> them later, like for a new instance of Dialog for a new computer setup.
>
> This is where the not knowing password problem will be the worst.
> It is better if dialog is just display the password with an instant look.

If you're doing a new install of Dialog (on the same or different
computer), just where is the old instance going to be available for you
to peek at the server config to see the old password?

>> If you need to change the account's password (on the server), like you
>> got hacked, you may need the old password to change to a new password.
>> Regardless of shown or not in apps or dialogs, you'll still need to keep
>> a record of passwords.
>
> I no longer need to save a password in plain text in extra new file.
> This is because I can now view the password using Nirsoft BulletSpassview.

Not if you're not at the computer with it powered on, booted up, load
Dialog, and run the Nirsoft tool. If you're elsewhere and using a web
client to access your Usenet account to change the password, you don't
have your computer, Dialog, and Nirsoft to see the old password that you
need to change.