Only a fool fights in a burning house. -- Kank the Klingon, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / Re: different flavours of XCFE

SubjectAuthor
* different flavours of XCFEverity
+* Re: different flavours of XCFEThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: different flavours of XCFEDan Espen
`- Re: different flavours of XCFEJoe Beanfish

1
different flavours of XCFE

<tbgmk6$npc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7841&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7841

From: jus...@fuck.fakenews.com (verity)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: different flavours of XCFE
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 19:38:43 +0800
 by: verity - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 11:38 UTC

Using Alma Linux 9, I installed XFCE (coz I hate Gnome) and noticed it
has the panel in the middle of the bottom, like the old XFCE, which was
imitating CDE a bit.
Whereas in Mint, they have narrow panel across the bottom, with
menu in the left corner for those used to Windows.
Anyway just rambling coz it's raining and I had a few glasses of red wine.

Re: different flavours of XCFE

<tbgqq2$3sh4i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7843&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7843

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: different flavours of XCFE
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 13:50:10 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 12:50 UTC

On 23/07/2022 12:38, verity wrote:
> Using Alma Linux 9, I installed XFCE (coz I hate Gnome) and noticed it
> has the panel in the middle of the bottom, like the old XFCE, which was
> imitating CDE a bit.
> Whereas in Mint, they have narrow panel across the bottom, with
> menu in the left corner for those used to Windows.
> Anyway just rambling coz it's raining and I had a few glasses of red wine.

Well its jot sunny and dry here, and I am not yet started on the wine,
but MINT Mate, at least allows panels to be top/bottom left or right or
any combination of te above, or autohiding as well

I guess its the mint default to put one at the bottom, XP style

Josef Stalin

Re: different flavours of XCFE

<tbh7pl$3vn34$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7844&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7844

From: dan1es...@gmail.com (Dan Espen)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 12:31:49 -0400
 by: Dan Espen - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 16:31 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes:

> On 23/07/2022 12:38, verity wrote:
>> Using Alma Linux 9, I installed XFCE (coz I hate Gnome) and noticed
>> it has the panel in the middle of the bottom, like the old XFCE,
>> which was imitating CDE a bit.
>> Whereas in Mint, they have narrow panel across the bottom, with
>> menu in the left corner for those used to Windows.
>> Anyway just rambling coz it's raining and I had a few glasses of red wine.
>

> Well its jot sunny and dry here, and I am not yet started on the wine,
> but MINT Mate, at least allows panels to be top/bottom left or right
> or any combination of te above, or autohiding as well
>
> I guess its the mint default to put one at the bottom, XP style

Not an XFCE user, but:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/245919/how-can-i-change-xfce-bottom-panel-to-the-top

--
Dan Espen

Re: different flavours of XCFE

<tbm8g5$17vf4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7870&group=comp.os.linux.misc#7870

From: joebeanf...@nospam.duh (Joe Beanfish)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 14:14:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Beanfish - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 14:14 UTC

On Sat, 23 Jul 2022 19:38:43 +0800, verity wrote:

> Using Alma Linux 9, I installed XFCE (coz I hate Gnome) and noticed it
> has the panel in the middle of the bottom, like the old XFCE, which was
> imitating CDE a bit.
> Whereas in Mint, they have narrow panel across the bottom, with
> menu in the left corner for those used to Windows.
> Anyway just rambling coz it's raining and I had a few glasses of red wine.

Panels are highly configurable. Make it how you like it.

I've used and loved xfce for quite some years, but I'm abandoning it
because of gtk 3 making every program its own window manager. Grinds
my gears every time I have to run a gtk 3 program and it ignores all
of my window manager settings and behaviors.