6 May, 2024: Currently experiencing networking issues at backend news servers. No resolution at this time.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Mint disk space

SubjectAuthor
* Mint disk spaceRobH
+* Re: Mint disk spacePaul
|+- Re: Mint disk spaceBig Al
|`- Re: Mint disk spaceRobH
`* Re: Mint disk spaceJeff Layman
 +- Re: Mint disk spaceMonsieur
 `* Re: Mint disk spaceRobH
  `* Re: Mint disk spaceJeff Layman
   `* Re: Mint disk spaceRobH
    `* Re: Mint disk spaceNic
     `* Re: Mint disk spaceRobH
      +- Re: Mint disk spaceNic
      `* Re: Mint disk spaceMike Easter
       `- Re: Mint disk spaceRobH

1
Mint disk space

<l5b3ohF8gncU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7865&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7865

From: rob...@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Mint disk space
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 13:30:57 +0000
 by: RobH - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 13:30 UTC

I recently did a fresh install of LM 21.2 onto a 250Gb sss.
I also installed a cctv program from which all the files recorded are
mounted onto my NAS server. I know they are also still on the local
computer, and now there is only 17.5Gb of free space.
I deleted all the vidoe files and pictures from within the CCTV program,
but that didn't make any difference as there still just 17.5Gb of free
space.

From that I am assuming that when LM is installed onto any size disk,
it uses almost all of it. But now I'm going to contradict that, because
on another local computer with LM 21 something on a 25Gb ssd, there is
more than half of the disk space free.

So how does it work then.

Re: Mint disk space

<uspqru$bkmk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7866&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7866

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Mint disk space
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 11:03:25 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:03 UTC

On 3/12/2024 9:30 AM, RobH wrote:
> I recently did a fresh install of LM 21.2 onto a 250Gb sss.
> I also installed a cctv program from which all the files recorded  are mounted onto my NAS server. I know they are also still on the local computer, and now there is only 17.5Gb of free space.
> I deleted all the vidoe files and pictures from within the CCTV program, but that didn't make any difference as there still just 17.5Gb of free space.
>
> From that I am assuming that when LM is installed onto any size disk, it uses almost all of it. But now I'm going to contradict that, because on another local computer with LM 21 something on a 25Gb ssd, there is more than half of the disk space free.
>
> So how does it work then.

Use qdirstat (QT GUI based "dirstat") to evaluate
where the space went. (k4dirstat if you happen to already
have a KDE desktop environment with most of the supporting
files it might use.)

If you threw the video files "in the trash bin", that
is not deleting them. That is throwing them in the trash.
If you use the "Empty Trash Bin" function, *that* is the
real deletion step.

sudo apt install qdirstat

If you were in Terminal,

rm somefile.mp4

would immediately delete something, without a trash bin step.
With that syntax, there is no undo. Usage of a Trash Bin was
invented as a safety feature, a "two-step" removal process.
But you must use the "Empty Trash" function, so the space
is released.

Now, this is unnecessarily heavy-handed, but you
can have a general look around for space consumption.
You can use "df" command in Terminal to see what
file systems are available to store stuff, things that
would be showing up in this scan.

sudo qdirstat /

If one of the areas shown in the display shows a large "lump"
of something, you burrow down into the area to see which exact
folder is doing it.

You can also do things like this, to examine specific sections
of the disk drive.

sudo qdirstat /home/rob # But this assumes root-owned content,
# which is not likely to be the case in ~ .

qdirstat /home/rob # As Rob, you should be able to traverse
# /home/rob without needing root.

The terminal command

du /home/rob

can also provide space information, but the user is buried in a
ton of lines of output. Whereas qdirstat nicely packages the
information, making it easier to consume and understand.

[Picture] A comparison picture, showing qdirstat summary and sorting at top

https://i.postimg.cc/R0w1VDmT/space-waste-analysis.gif

Paul

Re: Mint disk space

<uspsql$burh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7867&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7867

From: ala...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 11:36:54 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:36 UTC

On 3/12/24 11:03 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 3/12/2024 9:30 AM, RobH wrote:
>> I recently did a fresh install of LM 21.2 onto a 250Gb sss.
>> I also installed a cctv program from which all the files recorded  are mounted onto my NAS server. I know they are also still on the local computer, and now there is only 17.5Gb of free space.
>> I deleted all the vidoe files and pictures from within the CCTV program, but that didn't make any difference as there still just 17.5Gb of free space.
>>
>> From that I am assuming that when LM is installed onto any size disk, it uses almost all of it. But now I'm going to contradict that, because on another local computer with LM 21 something on a 25Gb ssd, there is more than half of the disk space free.
>>
>> So how does it work then.
>>

> Use qdirstat (QT GUI based "dirstat") to evaluate
> where the space went. (k4dirstat if you happen to already
> have a KDE desktop environment with most of the supporting
> files it might use.)
>
> If you threw the video files "in the trash bin", that
> is not deleting them. That is throwing them in the trash.
> If you use the "Empty Trash Bin" function, *that* is the
> real deletion step.
>
> sudo apt install qdirstat
>
> If you were in Terminal,
>
> rm somefile.mp4
>
> would immediately delete something, without a trash bin step.
> With that syntax, there is no undo. Usage of a Trash Bin was
> invented as a safety feature, a "two-step" removal process.
> But you must use the "Empty Trash" function, so the space
> is released.
>
> Now, this is unnecessarily heavy-handed, but you
> can have a general look around for space consumption.
> You can use "df" command in Terminal to see what
> file systems are available to store stuff, things that
> would be showing up in this scan.
>
> sudo qdirstat /
>
> If one of the areas shown in the display shows a large "lump"
> of something, you burrow down into the area to see which exact
> folder is doing it.
>
> You can also do things like this, to examine specific sections
> of the disk drive.
>
> sudo qdirstat /home/rob # But this assumes root-owned content,
> # which is not likely to be the case in ~ .
>
> qdirstat /home/rob # As Rob, you should be able to traverse
> # /home/rob without needing root.
>
> The terminal command
>
> du /home/rob
>
> can also provide space information, but the user is buried in a
> ton of lines of output. Whereas qdirstat nicely packages the
> information, making it easier to consume and understand.
>
> [Picture] A comparison picture, showing qdirstat summary and sorting at top
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/R0w1VDmT/space-waste-analysis.gif
>
> Paul

filelight is another program, IIRC, that is normally in Mint, at least the repros.
I may have done this but all folders have a context item "open with->filelight".
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4
Al

Re: Mint disk space

<uspul3$ccid$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7868&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7868

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:08:03 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:08 UTC

On 12/03/2024 13:30, RobH wrote:
> I recently did a fresh install of LM 21.2 onto a 250Gb sss.
> I also installed a cctv program from which all the files recorded are
> mounted onto my NAS server. I know they are also still on the local
> computer, and now there is only 17.5Gb of free space.
> I deleted all the vidoe files and pictures from within the CCTV program,
> but that didn't make any difference as there still just 17.5Gb of free
> space.
>
> From that I am assuming that when LM is installed onto any size disk,
> it uses almost all of it. But now I'm going to contradict that, because
> on another local computer with LM 21 something on a 25Gb ssd, there is
> more than half of the disk space free.
>
> So how does it work then.

As Paul suggested, you have those files in the trash. I occasionally
forget and use the "Del" key to "delete" files, but those go in the
trash and are recoverable. If you want to get rid of a file completely,
click on the file then right-click and click on "delete". You will get a
warning message "Do you want to permanently delete (file name)?".

--

Jeff

Re: Mint disk space

<usq077$193ev$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7869&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7869

From: Monsi...@notreal.invalid (Monsieur)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 17:34:47 +0100
 by: Monsieur - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:34 UTC

Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 12/03/2024 13:30, RobH wrote:
>> I recently did a fresh install of LM 21.2 onto a 250Gb sss.
>> I also installed a cctv program from which all the files recorded  are
>> mounted onto my NAS server. I know they are also still on the local
>> computer, and now there is only 17.5Gb of free space.
>> I deleted all the vidoe files and pictures from within the CCTV program,
>> but that didn't make any difference as there still just 17.5Gb of free
>> space.
>>
>>   From that I am assuming that when LM is installed onto any size disk,
>> it uses almost all of it. But now I'm going to contradict that, because
>> on another local computer with LM 21 something on a 25Gb ssd, there is
>> more than half of the disk space free.
>>
>> So how does it work then.
>
> As Paul suggested, you have those files in the trash. I occasionally
> forget and use the "Del" key to "delete" files, but those go in the
> trash and are recoverable. If you want to get rid of a file completely,
> click on the file then right-click and click on "delete". You will get a
> warning message "Do you want to permanently delete (file name)?".

Or just press shift + delete...

Re: Mint disk space

<l5bflsFab09U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7870&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7870

From: rob...@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:54:20 +0000
 by: RobH - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:54 UTC

On 12/03/2024 15:03, Paul wrote:
> On 3/12/2024 9:30 AM, RobH wrote:
>> I recently did a fresh install of LM 21.2 onto a 250Gb sss.
>> I also installed a cctv program from which all the files recorded  are mounted onto my NAS server. I know they are also still on the local computer, and now there is only 17.5Gb of free space.
>> I deleted all the vidoe files and pictures from within the CCTV program, but that didn't make any difference as there still just 17.5Gb of free space.
>>
>> From that I am assuming that when LM is installed onto any size disk, it uses almost all of it. But now I'm going to contradict that, because on another local computer with LM 21 something on a 25Gb ssd, there is more than half of the disk space free.
>>
>> So how does it work then.
>>

> Use qdirstat (QT GUI based "dirstat") to evaluate
> where the space went. (k4dirstat if you happen to already
> have a KDE desktop environment with most of the supporting
> files it might use.)
>
> If you threw the video files "in the trash bin", that
> is not deleting them. That is throwing them in the trash.
> If you use the "Empty Trash Bin" function, *that* is the
> real deletion step.
>
> sudo apt install qdirstat
>
> If you were in Terminal,
>
> rm somefile.mp4
>
> would immediately delete something, without a trash bin step.
> With that syntax, there is no undo. Usage of a Trash Bin was
> invented as a safety feature, a "two-step" removal process.
> But you must use the "Empty Trash" function, so the space
> is released.
>
> Now, this is unnecessarily heavy-handed, but you
> can have a general look around for space consumption.
> You can use "df" command in Terminal to see what
> file systems are available to store stuff, things that
> would be showing up in this scan.
>
> sudo qdirstat /
>
> If one of the areas shown in the display shows a large "lump"
> of something, you burrow down into the area to see which exact
> folder is doing it.
>
> You can also do things like this, to examine specific sections
> of the disk drive.
>
> sudo qdirstat /home/rob # But this assumes root-owned content,
> # which is not likely to be the case in ~ .
>
> qdirstat /home/rob # As Rob, you should be able to traverse
> # /home/rob without needing root.
>
> The terminal command
>
> du /home/rob
>
> can also provide space information, but the user is buried in a
> ton of lines of output. Whereas qdirstat nicely packages the
> information, making it easier to consume and understand.
>
> [Picture] A comparison picture, showing qdirstat summary and sorting at top
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/R0w1VDmT/space-waste-analysis.gif
>
> Paul

Gordon Bennet!, silly me as I didn't think that they would go in the
rubbish bin, Reason being , I was thinking that delete meant actually to
delete rather than 'move to rubbish bin' Also I had in my head that it
would be same as deleting a file on my NAS server, but no it wasn't, doh!

I've emptied the rubbish bin and have now got 161Gb of free space

thanks Paul

Re: Mint disk space

<l5bfosFab09U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7871&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7871

From: rob...@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:55:56 +0000
 by: RobH - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:55 UTC

On 12/03/2024 16:08, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 12/03/2024 13:30, RobH wrote:
>> I recently did a fresh install of LM 21.2 onto a 250Gb sss.
>> I also installed a cctv program from which all the files recorded  are
>> mounted onto my NAS server. I know they are also still on the local
>> computer, and now there is only 17.5Gb of free space.
>> I deleted all the vidoe files and pictures from within the CCTV program,
>> but that didn't make any difference as there still just 17.5Gb of free
>> space.
>>
>>   From that I am assuming that when LM is installed onto any size disk,
>> it uses almost all of it. But now I'm going to contradict that, because
>> on another local computer with LM 21 something on a 25Gb ssd, there is
>> more than half of the disk space free.
>>
>> So how does it work then.
>
> As Paul suggested, you have those files in the trash. I occasionally
> forget and use the "Del" key to "delete" files, but those go in the
> trash and are recoverable. If you want to get rid of a file completely,
> click on the file then right-click and click on "delete". You will get a
> warning message "Do you want to permanently delete (file name)?".
>
> --
>
> Jeff

Actually that is what I did, right click, then select delete, but they
were not actually deleted , as they went to the rubbish bin, doh!

Re: Mint disk space

<usq7lq$dvn4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7872&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7872

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:42:02 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:42 UTC

On 12/03/2024 16:55, RobH wrote:
> On 12/03/2024 16:08, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> On 12/03/2024 13:30, RobH wrote:
>>> I recently did a fresh install of LM 21.2 onto a 250Gb sss.
>>> I also installed a cctv program from which all the files recorded  are
>>> mounted onto my NAS server. I know they are also still on the local
>>> computer, and now there is only 17.5Gb of free space.
>>> I deleted all the vidoe files and pictures from within the CCTV program,
>>> but that didn't make any difference as there still just 17.5Gb of free
>>> space.
>>>
>>>   From that I am assuming that when LM is installed onto any size disk,
>>> it uses almost all of it. But now I'm going to contradict that, because
>>> on another local computer with LM 21 something on a 25Gb ssd, there is
>>> more than half of the disk space free.
>>>
>>> So how does it work then.
>>
>> As Paul suggested, you have those files in the trash. I occasionally
>> forget and use the "Del" key to "delete" files, but those go in the
>> trash and are recoverable. If you want to get rid of a file completely,
>> click on the file then right-click and click on "delete". You will get a
>> warning message "Do you want to permanently delete (file name)?".
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> Actually that is what I did, right click, then select delete, but they
> were not actually deleted , as they went to the rubbish bin, doh!

Was that using Nemo file manager? What do you have in your prefs for
Behaviour | Rubbish bin? I have only the middle two options ticked.

--

Jeff

Re: Mint disk space

<l5bmmfFbdfcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7873&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7873

From: rob...@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:54:07 +0000
 by: RobH - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:54 UTC

On 12/03/2024 18:42, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 12/03/2024 16:55, RobH wrote:

>>> As Paul suggested, you have those files in the trash. I occasionally
>>> forget and use the "Del" key to "delete" files, but those go in the
>>> trash and are recoverable. If you want to get rid of a file completely,
>>> click on the file then right-click and click on "delete". You will get a
>>> warning message "Do you want to permanently delete (file name)?".
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>>

>> Actually that is what I did, right click, then select delete, but they
>> were not actually deleted , as they went to the rubbish bin, doh!
>
> Was that using Nemo file manager? What do you have in your prefs for
> Behaviour | Rubbish bin? I have only the middle two options ticked.
>
> --
>
> Jeff

I don't know what is in Behaviour, where will I find that, in system
settings somewhere.

Re: Mint disk space

<122IN.430188$Ama9.51666@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7874&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7874

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.invalid (Nic)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:29:00 -0400
 by: Nic - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 19:29 UTC

On 3/12/24 2:54 PM, RobH wrote:
> On 12/03/2024 18:42, Jeff Layman wrote:

>>> Actually that is what I did, right click, then select delete, but they
>>> were not actually deleted , as they went to the rubbish bin, doh!
>>
>> Was that using Nemo file manager? What do you have in your prefs for
>> Behaviour | Rubbish bin? I have only the middle two options ticked.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> I don't know what is in Behaviour, where will I find that, in system
> settings somewhere.
Open your file manager and then look for Edit Preferences up at the top

Re: Mint disk space

<l5burlFck2iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7875&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7875

From: rob...@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:13:25 +0000
 by: RobH - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:13 UTC

On 12/03/2024 19:29, Nic wrote:
> On 3/12/24 2:54 PM, RobH wrote:

>>> Was that using Nemo file manager? What do you have in your prefs for
>>> Behaviour | Rubbish bin? I have only the middle two options ticked.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>>

>> I don't know what is in Behaviour, where will I find that, in system
>> settings somewhere.
> Open your file manager and then look for Edit Preferences up at the top

Sorry , can't see file manager anywhere only archive manager and file
renamer

Re: Mint disk space

<YK3IN.123093$Vrtf.11433@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7876&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7876

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.invalid (Nic)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 17:25:12 -0400
 by: Nic - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:25 UTC

On 3/12/24 5:13 PM, RobH wrote:
> On 12/03/2024 19:29, Nic wrote:

>>> I don't know what is in Behaviour, where will I find that, in system
>>> settings somewhere.
>> Open your file manager and then look for Edit Preferences up at the top
>
> Sorry , can't see file manager anywhere only archive manager and file
> renamer
WTF?

Re: Mint disk space

<l5c08lFcs0aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7877&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7877

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:37:24 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:37 UTC

RobH wrote:
> Sorry , can't see file manager anywhere only archive manager and file
> renamer

In LM Cinnamon, Nemo is the default fm. It appears as the
'folder/directory' icon or is called 'Files' arranged under Accessories
or All applications.

When opened, the menu Edit/ item Preferences has a L panel item Behavior
which has some checkable options for Trash.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Mint disk space

<l5c4dlFdea9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7880&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7880

From: rob...@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 22:48:21 +0000
 by: RobH - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 22:48 UTC

On 12/03/2024 21:37, Mike Easter wrote:
> RobH wrote:
>> Sorry , can't see file manager anywhere only archive manager and file
>> renamer
>
> In LM Cinnamon, Nemo is the default fm.  It appears as the
> 'folder/directory' icon or is called 'Files' arranged under Accessories
> or All applications.
>
> When opened, the menu Edit/ item Preferences has a L panel item Behavior
> which has some checkable options for Trash.

Got it now thanks.