computers / alt.os.linux.mint / How to report current kernel errors

SubjectAuthor
* How to report current kernel errorsBig Al
+* Re: How to report current kernel errorsMonsieur
|+* Re: How to report current kernel errorsBig Al
||`- Re: How to report current kernel errorsBig Al
|`* Re: How to report current kernel errorsHandsome Jack
| `- Re: How to report current kernel errorsBig Al
+- Re: How to report current kernel errorsMike Easter
`- Re: How to report current kernel errorsazigni

1
How to report current kernel errors

<ussq2n$12mqb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7892&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7892

From: ala...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: How to report current kernel errors
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 14:08:23 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:08 UTC

I get screens of data dump when doing a shutdown on the latest kernel.
https://i.postimg.cc/W3WJ9BdX/Shutdown.png

I'm running kernel Linux 5.15.0-100-generic
I changed to Linux 5.15.0-97-generic and no errors on shutdown now.

So how do I report an issue about the kernel that I can't track down?
One info said to open the update manager and view kernels, there is a bug report link there. Great,
it leads to Ubuntu and they don't want Mint kernel reports.

--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4
Al

Re: How to report current kernel errors

<ussqu5$1ah1j$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7893&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7893

From: Monsi...@notreal.invalid (Monsieur)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: How to report current kernel errors
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 19:23:01 +0100
 by: Monsieur - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:23 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> I get screens of data dump when doing a shutdown on the latest kernel.
> https://i.postimg.cc/W3WJ9BdX/Shutdown.png
>
> I'm running kernel Linux 5.15.0-100-generic
> I changed to Linux 5.15.0-97-generic and no errors on shutdown now.

Is that really a bug in the kernel or could it be that there is
something in the new kernel that your hardware is no longer compatible
with or that your hardware can't handle?

Happened to me too recently. I switched to 6.5 and got loads of errors
at startup and shutdown. Switched back to 5.15 and everything was fine
again.

So perhaps it's just your hardware that can't handle some of the new
features in the kernel?

Re: How to report current kernel errors

<l5eah4Fnke4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7895&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7895

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 11:44:51 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:44 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> I get screens of data dump when doing a shutdown on the latest kernel.
> https://i.postimg.cc/W3WJ9BdX/Shutdown.png
>
> I'm running kernel Linux 5.15.0-100-generic
> I changed to Linux 5.15.0-97-generic and no errors on shutdown now.
>
> So how do I report an issue about the kernel that I can't track down?
> One info said to open the update manager and view kernels, there is a
> bug report link there.  Great, it leads to Ubuntu and they don't want
> Mint kernel reports.

I don't know the right answer, but here is some info from kernel.org
bugzilla:

> If you did not compile your own kernel from scratch, you are probably in the wrong place.
> Please use the following links to report a bug to your distribution instead:

.... and Mint has a different link than Ub.

https://projects.linuxmint.com/reporting-an-issue.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/report-ubuntu-bug.html.en

I'm not sure I understand why Ub wouldn't 'want' Mint kernel reports; my
'natural instinct' would be to report to Ub, as I would *assume* that Ub
is 'responsible' for compiling the kernel that Mint uses.

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/

--
Mike Easter

Re: How to report current kernel errors

<ussu67$13kmm$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7900&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7900

From: ala...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:18:31 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 19:18 UTC

On 3/13/24 02:23 PM, Monsieur wrote:
> Big Al wrote:
>> I get screens of data dump when doing a shutdown on the latest kernel.
>> https://i.postimg.cc/W3WJ9BdX/Shutdown.png
>>
>> I'm running kernel Linux 5.15.0-100-generic
>> I changed to Linux 5.15.0-97-generic and no errors on shutdown now.
>
> Is that really a bug in the kernel or could it be that there is something in the new kernel that
> your hardware is no longer compatible with or that your hardware can't handle?
>
> Happened to me too recently. I switched to 6.5 and got loads of errors at startup and shutdown.
> Switched back to 5.15 and everything was fine again.
>
> So perhaps it's just your hardware that can't handle some of the new features in the kernel?

In looking at the update history.
The kernel was update on the 7th from 5.15.97 to 100. But the firmware was updated on the 8th.

Since it's been days, and I originally thought it might just be hick-up shutting down, then I let it go.

I also change my fstab line for auto mounting a drive from a LABEL= to UUID entry.
The change works okay, but with the errors I thought it might be me. I did it after a list of posts
about mounting a NAS drive, but I started looking at mine. The fstab file says boldly you should
use UUID, so I change it. But in rebooting to test, I was watching the screen for errors and I got
all these line printing. I put it back and nothing has changed.

I let my system run days without rebooting. I was trying to see if I could downgrade the firmware
somehow but can't find out where to get the older version.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4
Al

Re: How to report current kernel errors

<ust3fq$14ue8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7901&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7901

From: ala...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 16:48:58 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 20:48 UTC

On 3/13/24 03:18 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 3/13/24 02:23 PM, Monsieur wrote:
>> Big Al wrote:
>>> I get screens of data dump when doing a shutdown on the latest kernel.
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/W3WJ9BdX/Shutdown.png
>>>
>>> I'm running kernel Linux 5.15.0-100-generic
>>> I changed to Linux 5.15.0-97-generic and no errors on shutdown now.
>>
>> Is that really a bug in the kernel or could it be that there is something in the new kernel that
>> your hardware is no longer compatible with or that your hardware can't handle?
>>
>> Happened to me too recently. I switched to 6.5 and got loads of errors at startup and shutdown.
>> Switched back to 5.15 and everything was fine again.
>>
>> So perhaps it's just your hardware that can't handle some of the new features in the kernel?
>>

> In looking at the update history.
> The kernel was update on the 7th from 5.15.97 to 100.  But the firmware was updated on the 8th.
>
> Since it's been days, and I originally thought it might just be hick-up shutting down, then I let it
> go.
>
> I also change my fstab line for auto mounting a drive from a LABEL= to UUID entry.
> The change works okay, but with the errors I thought it might be me.  I did it after a list of posts
> about mounting a NAS drive, but I started looking at mine.  The fstab file says boldly you should
> use UUID, so I change it.   But in rebooting to test, I was watching the screen for errors and I got
> all these line printing.   I put it back and nothing has changed.
>
> I let my system run days without rebooting.  I was trying to see if I could downgrade the firmware
> somehow but can't find out where to get the older version.

I restored an old backup from 2-12-24 Mint 21.2. I did everything but the kernel, all was good.
So doing the kernel
https://i.postimg.cc/y60wq71J/Screenshot-from-2024-03-13-16-43-42.png
with these updates and now I have the issue. It's Mint 21.2 now and not 21.3 but it's still this
5.15-100 kernel.

Bummer.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: How to report current kernel errors

<JxsIN.96961$zF_1.11420@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7903&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7903

From: azi...@yahoo.com (azigni)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 01:37:45 GMT
 by: azigni - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 01:37 UTC

I had the same problem. Do you have a NVidia card? It turns out the issue
was the kernel and the NVidia drivers were not meshing on build.

It was quite the problem. I reinstalled, tried other debian based distros,
all to no avail. After the fix was put in place and everything was
working, I read about the kernel and Nvidia in the previous kernel
release.

That was about ten hours of wasted time, and a few weeks of headache time.

Re: How to report current kernel errors

<ususjs$1k1hn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7907&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7907

From: Jac...@handsome.com (Handsome Jack)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 13:03:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Handsome Jack - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 13:03 UTC

Monsieur <Monsieur@notreal.invalid> wrote:
> Big Al wrote:
>> I get screens of data dump when doing a shutdown on the latest kernel.
>> https://i.postimg.cc/W3WJ9BdX/Shutdown.png
>>
>> I'm running kernel Linux 5.15.0-100-generic
>> I changed to Linux 5.15.0-97-generic and no errors on shutdown now.
>
> Is that really a bug in the kernel or could it be that there is
> something in the new kernel that your hardware is no longer compatible
> with or that your hardware can't handle?

That sounds like a bug in the kernel to me. Or if it isn't a bug in the kernel, it'll do until a real one comes along.

Re: How to report current kernel errors

<usutmc$1k4f5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7908&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7908

From: ala...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 09:22:20 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 13:22 UTC

On 3/14/24 09:03 AM, Handsome Jack wrote:
> Monsieur <Monsieur@notreal.invalid> wrote:
>> Big Al wrote:
>>> I get screens of data dump when doing a shutdown on the latest kernel.
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/W3WJ9BdX/Shutdown.png
>>>
>>> I'm running kernel Linux 5.15.0-100-generic
>>> I changed to Linux 5.15.0-97-generic and no errors on shutdown now.
>>
>> Is that really a bug in the kernel or could it be that there is
>> something in the new kernel that your hardware is no longer compatible
>> with or that your hardware can't handle?
>
> That sounds like a bug in the kernel to me. Or if it isn't a bug in the kernel, it'll do until a real one comes along.
Seems to me. I reported it, and so far it's only been determined to be a tainted kernel, and I've
done a good amount of diagnostic work for them but waiting now on a reply to my last post.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4
Al