From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: "repairing" Win7 Bootup
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 17:37:16 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 00:37 UTC

small minor problem
Usually I when I am done for the day, I send Windows into "sleep
mode". In the morning, it starts right up.

On occasions I will shut it down. Then when Win7 when is powered up,
it "hangs". I get the nice "starting windows" popup and , and then a
black screen and a cursor.

Which is fine if I have to fix dinner or run errands ... then I can
hit the BRS interrupt (aka the switch on the power bar), and it will
ask if I want to repair Windows? While I'm out sure, why not?

Or I can "boot windows normally". Which usually works.

Unfortunately, when I shut it down again, it starts over with the
black screen.

What I'd like to know is if there is a way to "repair" Windows so it
boots "normally", or is taking an hour to boot up "normal" for
windows?

Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit.
--
APL is a mistake, carried through to perfection. It is the language of the
future for the programming techniques of the past: it creates a new generation

Re: "repairing" Win7 Bootup

<utiu07$2mtju$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7904&group=alt.windows7.general#7904

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: "repairing" Win7 Bootup
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 23:30:15 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 03:30 UTC

> small minor problem
> Usually I when I am done for the day, I send Windows into "sleep
> mode". In the morning, it starts right up.
>
> On occasions I will shut it down. Then when Win7 when is powered up,
> it "hangs". I get the nice "starting windows" popup and , and then a
> black screen and a cursor.
>
> Which is fine if I have to fix dinner or run errands ... then I can
> hit the BRS interrupt (aka the switch on the power bar), and it will
> ask if I want to repair Windows? While I'm out sure, why not?
>
> Or I can "boot windows normally". Which usually works.
>
> Unfortunately, when I shut it down again, it starts over with the
> black screen.
>
> What I'd like to know is if there is a way to "repair" Windows so it
> boots "normally", or is taking an hour to boot up "normal" for
> windows?
>
> Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit.

Do you suppose that's a graphics driver issue ?

A black screen, might be preparing for a CHKDSK run
which it may choose to do before C: is mounted and
accessible for "normal" bringup.

Using an installer DVD, selecting "Troubleshooting" instead
of "Install", and using the Command Prompt in Troubleshooting,
you can interactively do CHKDSK on C: for example.

chkdsk /F C: # "Fix" does not do a bad block scan, and
# finishes in a few minutes. For a bad blocks scan,
# the HDtune 2.55 can read all the disk sectors and
# give some idea if the drive has run out of spare
# sectors somewhere.

and then you can watch the messages as CHKDSK works.

I hope you occasionally check the SMART stats on your
disk, check out the HDTune benchmark on the drive, to
see if the drive is healthy.

But other than that, some NVidia cards have a defect in
their startup code, and the NVidia driver does "re-tries"
until it comes up. Linux lacks the re-tries, or it would
if you used Nouveau, whereas the NVidia driver under
Linux can also do the retries and get the stupid vid
card to start.

Sure, it might be a problem with Windows, but do you
really want to be doing a Repair install on Windows 7,
reinstalling drivers and so on ? That doesn't sound like
a lot of fun. The W10/W11 automation helps a bit in that
regard. Repair Install in that case, is less ugly. And
also does not fix every problem, by a long shot. Repair
Installs keep the registry and reuse portions of it, and
that's the problem.

Paul

Re: "repairing" Win7 Bootup

<utjt6a$2tpi6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7908&group=alt.windows7.general#7908

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 08:22:25 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 12:22 UTC

"pyotr filipivich" <phamp@mindspring.com> wrote

| Usually I when I am done for the day, I send Windows into "sleep
| mode". In the morning, it starts right up.
| | On occasions I will shut it down. Then when Win7 when is powered up,
| it "hangs". I get the nice "starting windows" popup and , and then a
| black screen and a cursor.
| I don't know if this relates, but my only Win7 machine, a Dell XPS,
is also flaky in similar ways. It won't sleep properly. Typically it wakes
without a display and I have to unplug it to start over. I've tried
adjusting sleep settings, but to no avail.

Paul mentioned NVidia. I don't remember offhand what my display
adapter is. I put in a cheap card awhile back so that I could set up
dual displays and pipe it to a TV.