From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: avoid sender address checking in virtusertable
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 17:06:16 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:06 UTC

Hello!

I have the hostname of my machine in virtusertable because I only want
special accounts (in Cyrus) receiving mail. This has the side effect
that sending from such an address address is being denied.
I am aware that such messages cannot be bounced, although I want system
users be able to send mail from these addresses.

What is the best way to handle this while keeping
specific@host.domain.com user
@host.domain.com error:...

in virtusertable to avoid backscatter?

--
kind regards
Marco

Re: avoid sender address checking in virtusertable

<uda5qa$2i5ke$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=791&group=comp.mail.sendmail#791

From: kal...@kolttonen.fi (Kalevi Kolttonen)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:28:10 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: <untosten@0.0.0.0>
 by: Kalevi Kolttonen - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:28 UTC

Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
> I have the hostname of my machine in virtusertable because I only want
> special accounts (in Cyrus) receiving mail. This has the side effect
> that sending from such an address address is being denied.

I am not 100% sure if I understood your problem, but
you can use "From:" prefix in access db keys and
"OK" as a value. See the README examples:

-------- start README.cf -----------------------------

If the required item is looked up in a map, it will be tried first
with the corresponding tag in front, then (as fallback to enable
backward compatibility) without any tag, unless the specific feature
requires a tag. For example,

From:spammer@some.dom REJECT
To:friend.domain RELAY
Connect:friend.domain OK
Connect:from.domain RELAY
From:good@another.dom OK
From:another.dom REJECT

-------- end README.cf -----------------------------

Again, I am not sure whether that will work, but I
guess it is worth trying.

br,
KK

Re: avoid sender address checking in virtusertable

<uda65i$2i5pd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=792&group=comp.mail.sendmail#792

From: kal...@kolttonen.fi (Kalevi Kolttonen)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:34:10 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: <untosten@0.0.0.0>
 by: Kalevi Kolttonen - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:34 UTC

Kalevi Kolttonen <kalevi@kolttonen.fi> wrote:
> Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
>> I have the hostname of my machine in virtusertable because I only want
>> special accounts (in Cyrus) receiving mail. This has the side effect
>> that sending from such an address address is being denied.
>
> I am not 100% sure if I understood your problem,

My another take at this, but still I am not sure what you
are trying to achieve. Do you want to use those Cyrus addresses
as envelope senders? If so, you can probably try "genericstable" to
reverse map your Cyrus addresses to working addresses.

See README:

FEATURE(`genericstable')

br,
KK

Re: avoid sender address checking in virtusertable

<uda75s$2hr8j$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=793&group=comp.mail.sendmail#793

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 17:51:24 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:51 UTC

Am 06.09.2023 um 15:34:10 Uhr schrieb Kalevi Kolttonen:

> My another take at this, but still I am not sure what you
> are trying to achieve. Do you want to use those Cyrus addresses
> as envelope senders? If so, you can probably try "genericstable" to
> reverse map your Cyrus addresses to working addresses.

Yes, these addresses are envelope addresses, but the mailboxes don't
exist in Cyrus (I also don't need them there).

For example: A service running under the user ftp wants to send an email
to root, it would be rejected.

I will check if accessdb is right for that situation, thanks for that
suggestion, it wasn't on my radar.