Vini, vidi, Linux! -- Unknown source

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Half Life Remale Demake

SubjectAuthor
* Half Life Remale DemakeSpalls Hurgenson
+* Re: Half Life Remale Demakerms
|`* Re: Half Life Remale DemakeSpalls Hurgenson
| `- Re: Half Life Remale DemakeJustisaur
`- Re: Half Life Remale DemakeJAB

1
Half Life Remale Demake

<selhchhjjhm5min9dap0fm12qvjstctmtv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7945&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7945

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Half Life Remale Demake
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 21:19:42 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 01:19 UTC

"Half Life" remains one of the great games of PC gaming, and even two
decades down the line it is still a tremendously fun game. Admittedly,
its visuals and some of its gameplay are a bit dated, but if you can
get past that, the experience is terrific.

But if you can't engage with such a dated game, worry not: there's
"Black Mesa", which updated the original game to modern standards, and
even added a few new features and world-building of its own.

But... what if you loved the old style of the game but want to embrace
the new additions? Or what if your computer just doesn't have the
oomph to run "Black Mesa" and all of its bells'n'whistles? Well, fear
not, hearty gamer, for there is now "Black Mesa Classic"
https://www.moddb.com/mods/bm-classic

This is not a mod that you question the "why" and "wherefore"; just
accept that it exists. It is "Black Mesa" backported to the original
"Half Life's" GoldSrc engine. Because that's what it is, and we need
not ask any further. And I love it. It's the sort of recursive humor
geeks love, and it's more "Half Life". Isn't that reason enough?

Although I think I'll wait for the remake-demake's remake that ports
this version back up the line one more time. Because, why not?

Re: Half Life Remale Demake

<taals8$ufsp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7946&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7946

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Half Life Remale Demake
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 19:32:53 -0600
 by: rms - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 01:32 UTC

> It's the sort of recursive humor
>geeks love, and it's more "Half Life". Isn't that reason enough?
>Although I think I'll wait for the remake-demake's remake that ports
>this version back up the line one more time. Because, why not?

It's Demakes all the way down!

rms

Re: Half Life Remale Demake

<9b5jchlctb92d8p32ghi1o97dl0opp0fm2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7949&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7949

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2022 10:58:19 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 14:58 UTC

On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 19:32:53 -0600, "rms" <rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net>
wrote:

>> It's the sort of recursive humor
>>geeks love, and it's more "Half Life". Isn't that reason enough?
>>Although I think I'll wait for the remake-demake's remake that ports
>>this version back up the line one more time. Because, why not?

> It's Demakes all the way down!

I'm suddenly imagining a "Pong" demake.

Or rather, I'm not, because I'm not sure I can see how you can make a
game that consists of two lines and a dot even more primitive. Even a
text-mode adventure game would be a step up.

: The white ball hurtles towards you. It's moving towards the lower corner.
} move paddle down
: You swing the paddle to the lower corner just in time! The ball bounces
: off it and heads back towards the other side.
} wait
: Your opponent moves his paddle to intercept the ball... he grazes it with
: the corner and the ball zooms across the screen! It's headed towards the
: upper corner!
} move paddle up

Re: Half Life Remale Demake

<476eb81f-c736-4412-a9f7-ec6aef00efdfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7952&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7952

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 09:27:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Sat, 9 Jul 2022 16:27 UTC

On Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 7:58:38 AM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 19:32:53 -0600, "rms" <rsqui...@MOOflashMOO.net>
> wrote:
> >> It's the sort of recursive humor
> >>geeks love, and it's more "Half Life". Isn't that reason enough?
> >>Although I think I'll wait for the remake-demake's remake that ports
> >>this version back up the line one more time. Because, why not?
>
> > It's Demakes all the way down!
> I'm suddenly imagining a "Pong" demake.
>
> Or rather, I'm not, because I'm not sure I can see how you can make a
> game that consists of two lines and a dot even more primitive. Even a
> text-mode adventure game would be a step up.
>
> : The white ball hurtles towards you. It's moving towards the lower corner.
> } move paddle down
> : You swing the paddle to the lower corner just in time! The ball bounces
> : off it and heads back towards the other side.
> } wait
> : Your opponent moves his paddle to intercept the ball... he grazes it with
> : the corner and the ball zooms across the screen! It's headed towards the
> : upper corner!
> } move paddle up

:D You actually made me laugh!

(There's been plenty of other times, I just feel like I'm posting "me too" if I
can't think up something to add. On the one hand, the upvote etc. is one
thing I miss here that's on modern forums. On the other hand I'm forced
to actually think a little if I want to comment on something, which I think
is better for intelligent discourse.)

- Justisaur

Re: Half Life Remale Demake

<tae6r3$1bi4e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7956&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7956

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 10:40:50 +0100
 by: JAB - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 09:40 UTC

On 09/07/2022 02:19, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> "Half Life" remains one of the great games of PC gaming, and even two
> decades down the line it is still a tremendously fun game. Admittedly,
> its visuals and some of its gameplay are a bit dated, but if you can
> get past that, the experience is terrific.
>
> But if you can't engage with such a dated game, worry not: there's
> "Black Mesa", which updated the original game to modern standards, and
> even added a few new features and world-building of its own.
>
> But... what if you loved the old style of the game but want to embrace
> the new additions? Or what if your computer just doesn't have the
> oomph to run "Black Mesa" and all of its bells'n'whistles? Well, fear
> not, hearty gamer, for there is now "Black Mesa Classic"
> https://www.moddb.com/mods/bm-classic
>
> This is not a mod that you question the "why" and "wherefore"; just
> accept that it exists. It is "Black Mesa" backported to the original
> "Half Life's" GoldSrc engine. Because that's what it is, and we need
> not ask any further. And I love it. It's the sort of recursive humor
> geeks love, and it's more "Half Life". Isn't that reason enough?
>
> Although I think I'll wait for the remake-demake's remake that ports
> this version back up the line one more time. Because, why not?

Interesting idea especially as for me the real draw was not the new
graphics, although that certainly helped, but instead that the level
design I felt was tighter and some of the, is this part included just to
annoy people had been removed.