This file will self-destruct in five minutes.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Doom really can run on anything

SubjectAuthor
* Doom really can run on anythingSpalls Hurgenson
+- Re: Doom really can run on anythingAnt
+- Re: Doom really can run on anythingDimensional Traveler
`* Re: Doom really can run on anythingGeeknix
 +* Re: Doom really can run on anythingSpalls Hurgenson
 |+* Re: Doom really can run on anythingDimensional Traveler
 ||`- Re: Doom really can run on anythingSpalls Hurgenson
 |`- Re: Doom really can run on anythingGeeknix
 `- Re: Doom really can run on anythingRoss Ridge

1
Doom really can run on anything

<8hvrchhf064sjsa1gbu1s377v29m86nne1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7969&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7969

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Doom really can run on anything
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 19:14:57 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 12 Jul 2022 23:14 UTC

Doom on PC. Doom on Windows. Doom on Mac. Doom on Unix. Doom on the
SNES. Doom on the Saturn. Doom on PS1. Doom on Java-phones. Doom on
Sansa ClipZip. Doom on Zune. Doom on network routers. Doom on a
smart-fridge. Doom on digital camera. Doom on a cash register. Doom
runs on everything.

But there's always been one platform nobody ever asked, "Can Doom run
on this?" And that was Doom itself. Can Doom run... on Doom?

Yup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6hnQ1RKhbo

Thanks to a code-execution exploit, it's now actually possible to
launch Doom... in Doom itself. This isn't a specially modified version
of Doom (well, other than a WAD that overwrites key variable to launch
an external program); the core executable code is untouched. You can
just watch the demos play out, or switch to the embedded version and
play it full-screen. It really is Doom inside of Doom.

Sadly, the video doesn't answer if Doom can play inside of Doom inside
of Doom. How deep down the rabbit hole can we go?!?

Re: Doom really can run on anything

<guCdnew5bqMEolP_nZ2dnUU7-UXNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7970&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7970

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: Doom really can run on anything
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.doom
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 22:44:25 -0500
 by: Ant - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 03:44 UTC

They need to go more! :)

--
So many spams, craziness, and known people's deaths. :( Quiet yesterday for this old ant. Another Microsoft update day! Apple will do theirs soon.
| |o o| |

Re: Doom really can run on anything

<talglo$29jq9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7971&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7971

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 21:11:39 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 04:11 UTC

On 7/12/2022 4:14 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Doom on PC. Doom on Windows. Doom on Mac. Doom on Unix. Doom on the
> SNES. Doom on the Saturn. Doom on PS1. Doom on Java-phones. Doom on
> Sansa ClipZip. Doom on Zune. Doom on network routers. Doom on a
> smart-fridge. Doom on digital camera. Doom on a cash register. Doom
> runs on everything.
>
> But there's always been one platform nobody ever asked, "Can Doom run
> on this?" And that was Doom itself. Can Doom run... on Doom?
>
> Yup.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6hnQ1RKhbo
>
> Thanks to a code-execution exploit, it's now actually possible to
> launch Doom... in Doom itself. This isn't a specially modified version
> of Doom (well, other than a WAD that overwrites key variable to launch
> an external program); the core executable code is untouched. You can
> just watch the demos play out, or switch to the embedded version and
> play it full-screen. It really is Doom inside of Doom.
>
> Sadly, the video doesn't answer if Doom can play inside of Doom inside
> of Doom. How deep down the rabbit hole can we go?!?

If you have to ask, you don't want to know.

dirty old man.

Re: Doom really can run on anything

<IzszK.707562$WVT9.117554@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7972&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7972

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
From: use...@apple.geeknix135.net (Geeknix)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 13:17:27 +0800
 by: Geeknix - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 05:17 UTC

On 13/07/2022 07:14, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Doom on PC. Doom on Windows. Doom on Mac. Doom on Unix. Doom on the
> SNES. Doom on the Saturn. Doom on PS1. Doom on Java-phones. Doom on
> Sansa ClipZip. Doom on Zune. Doom on network routers. Doom on a
> smart-fridge. Doom on digital camera. Doom on a cash register. Doom
> runs on everything.

You forgot running on a pregnancy test:

https://mashable.com/article/pregnancy-test-doom

So yes, really anywhere!

--
Don't be afraid of the deep...
--[ bbs.bottomlessabyss.net|https|telnet=2023|ssh=2222 ]--

Re: Doom really can run on anything

<blntchdkecv7vjck9phtqga57pc3tku2kv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7979&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7979

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 11:09:41 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 15:09 UTC

On Wed, 13 Jul 2022 13:17:27 +0800, Geeknix
<usenet@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:

>On 13/07/2022 07:14, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> Doom on PC. Doom on Windows. Doom on Mac. Doom on Unix. Doom on the
>> SNES. Doom on the Saturn. Doom on PS1. Doom on Java-phones. Doom on
>> Sansa ClipZip. Doom on Zune. Doom on network routers. Doom on a
>> smart-fridge. Doom on digital camera. Doom on a cash register. Doom
>> runs on everything.
>
>You forgot running on a pregnancy test:
>https://mashable.com/article/pregnancy-test-doom

Oh, I wasn't trying to make a complete list.
(there's a website for that anyway: https://itrunsdoom.tumblr.com/ )

It also runs on printers, and Peletons, and karaoke machines, and cars
.... and... and... and...

At this point its probably easier to list digital computing devices it
DOESN'T run on.

But this project makes me think, "what we really need now is a Doom
OS".

Which isn't really as far-fetched as it sounds. DOS games were often
operating systems unto themselves, doing their own memory management,
hardware drivers, file management, etc (it's one of the main reasons
Windows95 took off the way it did; its hardware abstraction layer
meant developers no longer had to worry about that sort of stuff). But
add some extra disk-management and bootloader code - and a more robust
way of launching external programs - and Doom could be an OS unto
itself.

The inevitable bugs would be terrifying, however.

Re: Doom really can run on anything

<tamnfu$2d7fk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7980&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7980

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 08:14:06 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 15:14 UTC

On 7/13/2022 8:09 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2022 13:17:27 +0800, Geeknix
> <usenet@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:
>
>> On 13/07/2022 07:14, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>> Doom on PC. Doom on Windows. Doom on Mac. Doom on Unix. Doom on the
>>> SNES. Doom on the Saturn. Doom on PS1. Doom on Java-phones. Doom on
>>> Sansa ClipZip. Doom on Zune. Doom on network routers. Doom on a
>>> smart-fridge. Doom on digital camera. Doom on a cash register. Doom
>>> runs on everything.
>>
>> You forgot running on a pregnancy test:
>> https://mashable.com/article/pregnancy-test-doom
>
> Oh, I wasn't trying to make a complete list.
> (there's a website for that anyway: https://itrunsdoom.tumblr.com/ )
>
> It also runs on printers, and Peletons, and karaoke machines, and cars
> ... and... and... and...
>
> At this point its probably easier to list digital computing devices it
> DOESN'T run on.
>
> But this project makes me think, "what we really need now is a Doom
> OS".
>
> Which isn't really as far-fetched as it sounds. DOS games were often
> operating systems unto themselves, doing their own memory management,
> hardware drivers, file management, etc (it's one of the main reasons
> Windows95 took off the way it did; its hardware abstraction layer
> meant developers no longer had to worry about that sort of stuff). But
> add some extra disk-management and bootloader code - and a more robust
> way of launching external programs - and Doom could be an OS unto
> itself.
>
> The inevitable bugs would be terrifying, however.

Literally hellish.

dirty old man.

Re: Doom really can run on anything

<y8JzK.367109$70_9.214127@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7983&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7983

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
From: use...@apple.geeknix135.net (Geeknix)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 08:09:02 +0800
 by: Geeknix - Thu, 14 Jul 2022 00:09 UTC

On 13/07/2022 23:09, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2022 13:17:27 +0800, Geeknix
> <usenet@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:
>
>> On 13/07/2022 07:14, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>> Doom on PC. Doom on Windows. Doom on Mac. Doom on Unix. Doom on the
>>> SNES. Doom on the Saturn. Doom on PS1. Doom on Java-phones. Doom on
>>> Sansa ClipZip. Doom on Zune. Doom on network routers. Doom on a
>>> smart-fridge. Doom on digital camera. Doom on a cash register. Doom
>>> runs on everything.
>>
>> You forgot running on a pregnancy test:
>> https://mashable.com/article/pregnancy-test-doom
>
> Oh, I wasn't trying to make a complete list.
> (there's a website for that anyway: https://itrunsdoom.tumblr.com/ )
>
> It also runs on printers, and Peletons, and karaoke machines, and cars
> ... and... and... and...
>
> At this point its probably easier to list digital computing devices it
> DOESN'T run on.

Yes of course their's a website for that. Should have guessed. :D

--
Don't be afraid of the deep...
--[ bbs.bottomlessabyss.net|https|telnet=2023|ssh=2222 ]--
--[ Remove the fruit and digits for valid email address ]--
--[ usenet <at> apple.geeknix135.net ]--

Re: Doom really can run on anything

<fr90dhp4lc2ads9vjjfa9qjv7oucftgegs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7985&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7985

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 10:36:43 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 14 Jul 2022 14:36 UTC

On Wed, 13 Jul 2022 08:14:06 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 7/13/2022 8:09 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>> But this project makes me think, "what we really need now is a Doom
>> OS".
>> The inevitable bugs would be terrifying, however.

>Literally hellish.

It's not quite what I had in mind but:

DoomOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxnnMzRWb8E&t=7s

(this one reminds me a lot of the IRIX 3D filesystem manager
popularized in Jurassic Park)

There's also PSDooM
http://psdoom.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

(although, again, not quite what I had in mind. I visuallized using
Doom as the underlying code and maybe utilizing some of its motifs,
but not one that actually required you to traipse around literally
killing processes or files. But these are fun nonetheless)

Anyway....

We need a "rule 34" for Doom. I recommend:

Rule 66: "If there's a digital computing system, somebody will
eventually manage to get DooM running on it."

.... or perhaps:

Rule 93 (in honor of its release year): "A digital computer is not
considered feature complete /until/ DooM is running on it."

Although, if the latter is true, how long before DooM is embedded into
a CPU's circuitry? ;-)

Re: Doom really can run on anything

<tapmvb$d1u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7988&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#7988

From: rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 18:23:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ross Ridge - Thu, 14 Jul 2022 18:23 UTC

Geeknix <usenet@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:
>You forgot running on a pregnancy test:
>
>https://mashable.com/article/pregnancy-test-doom
>
>So yes, really anywhere!

Unless it was a different one, tt's not actually Doom running on a
pregancy test. It's Doom running on a custom computer stuck inside the
shell of a pregancy test.

The actual pregancy test didn't have a dot matrix display and could only
display simple symbols showing the result of the test, so couldn't run
Doom even if it's CPU were otherwise capable.

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca