Subject: Reading A/UX disks
From: André G. Isaak
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system, comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 09:55 UTC
From: agis...@gm.invalid (André G. Isaak)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 03:55:54 -0600
This is a longshot, but does anyone know of any utilities (OS X or classic - doesn't matter) which can mount and/or extract files from
SVFS (the A/UX file system) disk images?

(n.b. I'm aware of shoebill, but I can't seem to get that to mount a blank read/write HFS image so that hasn't worked for getting files to the Mac)

TIA,

André

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail service.

Subject: Re: Reading A/UX disks
From: Eli the Bearded
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system, comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 16:34 UTC
From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 16:34:30 +0000 (UTC)
View all headers
In comp.sys.mac.vintage, André G. Isaak  <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
This is a longshot, but does anyone know of any utilities (OS X or
classic - doesn't matter) which can mount and/or extract files from
SVFS (the A/UX file system) disk images?

My recollection is that A/UX used a System V filesystem. These days
"SVFS" maps to a completely different FS. I would test if various free
unixes like Linux and FreeBSD or emulated older unixes could mount it.

Elijah
------
has a few A/UX disk images as well, but hasn't tried mounting them

From: Lewis
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system, comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 21:40 UTC
From: g.kr...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 21:40:34 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
In message <eli$2005281224@qaz.wtf> Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
In comp.sys.mac.vintage, André G. Isaak  <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
This is a longshot, but does anyone know of any utilities (OS X or
classic - doesn't matter) which can mount and/or extract files from
SVFS (the A/UX file system) disk images?

My recollection is that A/UX used a System V filesystem. These days
"SVFS" maps to a completely different FS. I would test if various free
unixes like Linux and FreeBSD or emulated older unixes could mount it.

A/UX used two different filesystems, version 3.0 abandoned the SVFS
format, but I don't remember what they went to. I know of no way to
access the old SVFS and all the searches for it bring up the other SVFS
where the V stands for Virtual.

I suspect the Mac II emulator is the only way to go. You will need to
create a disk image in your host OS that is empty and then move the
files to the empty image in your shoebill emulator. This will need you
to know exactly how to use dd to first make the image and second copy
the files to that image.

Actually, probably make a tar file of the file and then assuming you've
mounted the image and it shows up as /dev/disk01s1 (I am sure that is
wrong, but you are looking for the mount of the VOLUME not the actual
disk) then you do something along the lines of

dd if=myfile.tar of=/dev/disk01s1/

Then you mount the image in you host OS and hopefully extract your file.

I suspect it is a bit more complicated than that. You might need to
encode the binary tar file into text with something like binhex or
uuencode before you put it on your image.

The other workflow is to use DART to make a disk image of your
disk and copy that to an external drive, but I am not sure that DART
exists for A/UX 1.1?

SVFS stood for System V File System and uses an early version of UFS.

Will A/UX 3.0 convert your file system? or do you not have access to
that version?

--
There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know
what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be

From: bje...@ripco.com
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system, comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 13:28 UTC
From: bje...@ripco.com
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 13:28:13 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
In comp.sys.mac.system Andr? G. Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
This is a longshot, but does anyone know of any utilities (OS X or
classic - doesn't matter) which can mount and/or extract files from
SVFS (the A/UX file system) disk images?

This is probably not a great answer but on google (groups.google.com) they
still have the messages from comp.unix.aux and you might be able to
dig/search those for a clue. Make sure you end up in .aux, google keeps
wanting to put you in .aix.

The nuclear option is find Jim Jagielski (comes up multiple times with a
google search) and try emailing him.

He used to write a shitload of utilities and software for A/UX and although
closed now, used to run a site called jagubox which was the holy grail of a
repository for a/ux software.

We used to run A/UX on a Quadra 950 but I really don't remember much about
its file systems. I still have the install floppys/cd's with the upgrades
and the 950 buried in the basement, but I'd guess the hd turned to molasses
as they tended to do.

-bruce
bje@ripco.com

From: André G. Isaak
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system, comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 15:07 UTC
From: agis...@gm.invalid (André G. Isaak)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 09:07:58 -0600
On 2020-05-28 15:40, Lewis wrote:
[...]

The problem I've run into is that shoebill doesn't seem to want to mount any disk images other than the startup image. What little documentation that exists for shoebill says that HFS images can be assigned to SCSI ID's above zero in the preferences, but I've been unable to create an empty image which it recognizes (using dart and diskcopy with various options). There's no error message given. They simply don't appear.

André

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail service.

From: Lewis
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system, comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 23:57 UTC
From: g.kr...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 23:57:13 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
In message <rar2ld$2uh$1@remote5bge0.ripco.com> bje@ripco.com <bje@ripco.com> wrote:
We used to run A/UX on a Quadra 950 but I really don't remember much about
its file systems.

That would have been A/UX 3, and it did not use SVFS.

--
'The gods,' he said. 'Imprisoned in a thought. And perhaps they were
never more than a dream.' --Sourcery

From: Lewis
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system, comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 00:12 UTC
From: g.kr...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 00:12:21 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
In message <rar8gf$r1m$1@dont-email.me> André G  Isaak <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:
The problem I've run into is that shoebill doesn't seem to want to mount
any disk images other than the startup image. What little documentation
that exists for shoebill says that HFS images can be assigned to SCSI
ID's above zero in the preferences, but I've been unable to create an
empty image which it recognizes (using dart and diskcopy with various
options). There's no error message given. They simply don't appear.

This is a basic feature of the emulator, so it seems it should work, but
I've never used shoebill so I have no help for you on that score.

Are you able to mount optical disks or any disks? Are you using HFS or
HFS+? (neither shoebill nor A/UX will understand HFS+ and Mac OS X will
not write HFS on versions later than... 10.7? 10.5? In there somewhere).

Again, it might be best to try to get A/UX 3 running rather than 1.1.1

Otherwise, you may need old Mac hardware where you could, worst case,
connect a serial cable to a linux machine and literally write the files
over a serial cable.

--
Wally: That's my nickname, "Waly" with one el. Dilbert: Who calls you
that? Wally: Most people, they just don't realize it.