Sender: Scott Alfter <salfter@linode.ip.linodeusercontent.com>
From: sco...@alfter.diespammersdie.us
Subject: Bullseye->Bookworm upgrade kills WiFi config?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 18:06:35 GMT
 by: sco...@alfter.diespammersdie.us - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 18:06 UTC

I've been migrating some of my Raspberry Pis from Bullseye to Bookworm
recently. The wired hosts come through OK (even an ancient Raspberry Pi B
that I turned into a poor man's JetDirect a while back), but I've had two
hosts connected by WiFi drop off the network during the apt-get distupgrade.
One is a GPS-disciplined NTP server on a RPi 3B+ that I got working again by
plugging in a monitor and keyboard long enough to reconfigure WiFi.

Another host that's gone catatonic is a CM4 running OctoPrint on one of my
3D printers. That one's on a Waveshare CM4-NANO-A that brings out USB and
GPIO, but not HDMI. I'll have to move that onto a different adapter board
that brings out HDMI as well as USB, which is on order...but having to do
this is a bit annoying. The printer will work without it (its controller
board has a MicroSD slot and can print from that), but it's not as
convenient as telling PrusaSlicer to send a file to OctoPrint. (First-world
problem? :) )

Has anyone else noticed this issue when upgrading to Bookworm on a
WiFi-connected Raspberry Pi?

--
_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!

Re: Bullseye->Bookworm upgrade kills WiFi config?

<dCmdnZ_ez7Rd-tH4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8000&group=comp.sys.raspberry-pi#8000

Subject: Re: Bullseye->Bookworm upgrade kills WiFi config?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.raspberry-pi
From: 56d.1...@ztq9.net (56d.1152)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 00:01:51 -0500
 by: 56d.1152 - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 05:01 UTC

On 11/8/23 1:06 PM, scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us wrote:
> I've been migrating some of my Raspberry Pis from Bullseye to Bookworm
> recently. The wired hosts come through OK (even an ancient Raspberry Pi B
> that I turned into a poor man's JetDirect a while back), but I've had two
> hosts connected by WiFi drop off the network during the apt-get distupgrade.
> One is a GPS-disciplined NTP server on a RPi 3B+ that I got working again by
> plugging in a monitor and keyboard long enough to reconfigure WiFi.
>
> Another host that's gone catatonic is a CM4 running OctoPrint on one of my
> 3D printers. That one's on a Waveshare CM4-NANO-A that brings out USB and
> GPIO, but not HDMI. I'll have to move that onto a different adapter board
> that brings out HDMI as well as USB, which is on order...but having to do
> this is a bit annoying. The printer will work without it (its controller
> board has a MicroSD slot and can print from that), but it's not as
> convenient as telling PrusaSlicer to send a file to OctoPrint. (First-world
> problem? :) )
>
> Has anyone else noticed this issue when upgrading to Bookworm on a
> WiFi-connected Raspberry Pi?

BookWorm ... and the "worm" bit comes to mind more
and more often ... uses networkmanager to work the
ethernet/wifi, The 'old' way doesn't work right
anymore ... though someone here DID find a slightly
odd tweak to kinda make it work.

Just the other day I posted some TEMPLATES for
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections. IF you
are doing a 'headless', non-GUI, 'lite', install
then you won't have GUI tools to set this stuff.
You use 'nmcli add con' to create a useless
entry, then copy/paste my templates over that and
do the few customization measures.

If you are using a GUI, on Pi4 at least, you have
to MANUALLY install a NetworkManager tweaker like
the Gnome version. Search "network manager" in
synaptic. Oh, you have to run it from a terminal
as root/sudo.

I'm afraid Deb is falling into the Cannonical
"Lets Change Everything For No Good Reason"
philosophy.

There are systemd rebel distros - let's see some
"Pure Deb" rebel distros where everything vital
works the good, super-well-documented, way -
a Devuian branch perhaps.

The proliferation of Linux distros was initially
a good thing ... but it's getting STUPID now.
Every distro does it differently, their idea of
"better", and it's almost NEVER "better".

I'm seriously thinking of flushing 'The Worm' entirely
and going back to BullsEye/Buster. Yea, the security
updates will eventually go away - but set the firewall
stuff smartly and you'll probably be good for a decade.

Oh, Pi4 ... discovered today that OpenCV cannot place
display windows if you are using Wayland ... they all
just pile-up on top of each other. Ain't gonna re-write
half the OS just to make it work right.

Flush Wayland too ....... it'll NEVER be ready for
prime time.