If at first you don't succeed, you must be a programmer.

computers / alt.folklore.computers / Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

SubjectAuthor
* Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneCitadel BBS History
+* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scenemaus
|`* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneOh So Gross!
| +* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS ScenePeter Flass
| |`- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scenemaus
| `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneQuadibloc
|  +- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneAhem A Rivet's Shot
|  +- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneMike Spencer
|  +- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scenemaus
|  `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneBen Collver
|   `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneDan Crawford
|    +- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneBen Collver
|    `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS ScenePeter Flass
|     `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneSimp Busters
|      `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneBlue-Maned_Hawk
|       `- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scenedanny burstein
+- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneBen Collver
+* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneBlue-Maned_Hawk
|`* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneJohn Levine
| +* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneVir Campestris
| |`* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneJohn Levine
| | `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneCharlie Gibbs
| |  `- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneLouis Krupp
| +- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneJim Jackson
| `- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneDavid Lesher
+- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneAnthk
+* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneQuadibloc
|+* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneNiklas Karlsson
||`* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneBlue-Maned_Hawk
|| `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneNiklas Karlsson
||  `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneQuadibloc
||   +- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneAhem A Rivet's Shot
||   `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneNiklas Karlsson
||    +* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneCharlie Gibbs
||    |`* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneDan Espen
||    | +* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneKurt Weiske
||    | |`* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneDan Espen
||    | | `- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneKurt Weiske
||    | `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneScott Lurndal
||    |  `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneDan Espen
||    |   `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneScott Lurndal
||    |    `- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneCharlie Gibbs
||    `- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneQuadibloc
|`- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneBlue-Maned_Hawk
+- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneDan Cross
+* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneMarco Moock
|+- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scenejohnson
|`* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneArschraub Bosartig
| +* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneAhem A Rivet's Shot
| |+- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneJim Jackson
| |`* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneD.J.
| | `- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scenemaus
| +* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneJim Jackson
| |+* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneQuadibloc
| ||+* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneJim Jackson
| ||`- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneAhem A Rivet's Shot
| |`* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scenebozo user
| | `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scenerdh
| |  +* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scenepinky
| |  |`* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneScott Lurndal
| |  | `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneIlya Dubinsky
| |  |  `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneCommunism is Feudalism
| |  |   `- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneD.J.
| |  `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneAhem A Rivet's Shot
| |   `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scenepinky
| |    `- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scenemaus
| `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneMarco Moock
|  `* Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneQuadibloc
|   +- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneMarco Moock
|   `- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneJorgen Grahn
+- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneRichmond
+- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scenepseudonymous
`- Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS SceneDeposite Pirate

Pages:123
Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<20230222070541.8104a8df2e78d451ff6cf561@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7999&group=alt.folklore.computers#7999

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 07:05:41 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 07:05 UTC

On Tue, 21 Feb 2023 13:03:42 -0800 (PST)
Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:

> Ah, yes, then the software is no longer a virus that could contaminate
> commercial software, imperiling the integrity of its copyright and
> its proprietary nature. Instead, it can be used with abandon, thus making
> a constructive contribution to programs like Microsoft Windows.

I suspect Microsoft Windows would be even more buggy if it weren't
for the BSD code in it. At a different level I doubt Isilon's OneFS would
have existed without a BSD licensed OS to build it on top of.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tt5458$2g9$1@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8005&group=alt.folklore.computers#8005

From: crawdad1...@outlook.com (Dan Crawford)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 07:11:34 -0600
 by: Dan Crawford - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 13:11 UTC

On 2/17/23 09:30, Ben Collver wrote:
> On 2023-02-17, Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>> Even if there is some truth to that position in the _abstract_, in the
>> real world, this is a non-issue because legalizing this imaginary
>> unicorn of voluntary pedophilia would only make it harder to convict
>> those who are guilty of the _real_ serious problem of involuntary
>> pedophilia.
>
> I was told that legally speaking, pedophilia is attraction to
> children. Adults who have this condition tend to be survivors of
> child abuse. The attraction isn't illegal. Acting on it is.
>
> I'd think that people who like to mince words and legalities would use
> more nuance. Especially considering all the "Curb stomp your local
> pedophile" bumper stickers and t-shirts i've been seeing.

I was sexually abused and assaulted as a child. The thought of raping
someone or having sex with a child never occurred to me. Never have I
looked at a young person and thought, "Gee, I'd like to ram my throbbing
cock up into that."

Then I read Richard Stallman's thoughts. If I could meet him in person I
would like to give him some sex education. I hope he has a fist fetish.

When I was a teenager a girl younger than me lied to me about her age.
They lie about their age for one reason, and one reason only: cock trap,
which usually amounts to a pregnancy trap, and eventually getting
charged with the crime of "assault with a friendly weapon."

Thinking she was seventeen and not fifteen, I had kissed her while out
around town with her. Something felt very wrong and off. I started
noticing really immature behavior. Eventually I got her to admit her
real age to me. After I figured out that she lied to me about her age,
and she admitted it, I was furious! I told her to fuck off and I never
spoke to her again. The thought of getting up in her grundle never
crossed my mind, even though she was trolling for my dick.

Once when I was nineteen a fifteen-year-old community cat slut tried to
seduce me while I was working on a project with her brother. I was
viscerally repulsed by her advances and pushed her away from me. I asked
her, what would your dad think about your behavior? This ENRAGED her.

She was only fifteen and was already a female sexual predator. Her dad
was a Democrat bureaucrat working in a government agency. He could have
cared less. I learned this young whore had been greedily fucking several
older men around town. A woman who isn't sick would be angry about such
men preying after her. She went preying upon them. Yuk!

There is no excuse for sexually abusing children. I don't care how much
you were raped as a youth. If you rape a child, you should die. Our
society should put groomers, rapists and kid fuckers to death as soon as
possible. There was a time we did this, and it was usually done
extra-judicially. We buried pederasts alive in swamps in wicker cages.
Zero tolerance! This would cure most of the trauma-based mind control
that the government uses to rule over the masses. The Catholic Church
would collapse like a dodo bird, so people would be free from the
religious trauma brainwashing as well.

Anyone who defends a piece of bourgeois garbage like Richard Stallman is
a sub-human stain with no spine. The sick fucker made comments in
defense of child rape and grooming. That's not something that happens by
accident.

I'm all for curb-stomping every entitled bourgeois and illuminist poop
stain that either preys on children, or enables such sickness to
continue. Kill them all and let God sort 'em out.

If you molest my kids, you will be getting killed. I would not report
the rape to the police until after I get the pervert's confession and
execution on video tape. Then I would turn myself and the tape in to the
police in open court and dare them to charge me for killing the bastard.

Death to chomos, rapos, and kid fuckers is the only way to go.

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<slrntvcf9c.usj.bencollver@svadhyaya.localdomain>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8007&group=alt.folklore.computers#8007

From: bencoll...@tilde.pink (Ben Collver)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 16:09:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Collver - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 16:09 UTC

On 2023-02-22, Dan Crawford <crawdad1967@outlook.com> wrote:

> [A bunch of angry stuff.]

I assume that you are human and not some chat bot. You assume that
you would know when your kids were molested. If you walked around
like an angry time bomb apt to go off uncontrollably, they likely
wouldn't feel safe to tell you anything. I don't know whether this
is helpful but you should know that you are not alone.

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<k5nbggFf40eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8013&group=alt.folklore.computers#8013

From: nikke.ka...@gmail.com (Niklas Karlsson)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: 22 Feb 2023 20:16:16 GMT
 by: Niklas Karlsson - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 20:16 UTC

On 2023-02-21, Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 2:49:16 AM UTC-7, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
>> As opposed to the more moderate approach
>> taken by the BSD and MIT licenses, say.
>
> Ah, yes, then the software is no longer a virus that could contaminate
> commercial software, imperiling the integrity of its copyright and
> its proprietary nature. Instead, it can be used with abandon, thus making
> a constructive contribution to programs like Microsoft Windows.

I'm a little unsure of what tone to read your post in. Personally I
don't much mind, say, Steve's example of BSD code being used in Windows.
There was a time when I might have, but I'm too old and tired (even
though I'm a mere whippersnapper by a.f.c standards) and jaded from
having to get work done in the Real World to be that idealistic anymore.
Niklas
--
One developer I worked with pronounced SQL as "squirrel" and PL/SQL as
"peeled squirrel". This was the guy with several squirrel skulls on the

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<l%vJL.1142196$iS99.1041291@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8014&group=alt.folklore.computers#8014

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
From: cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 21:42:41 GMT
 by: Charlie Gibbs - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 21:42 UTC

On 2023-02-22, Niklas Karlsson <nikke.karlsson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2023-02-21, Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 2:49:16 AM UTC-7, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
>>
>>> As opposed to the more moderate approach
>>> taken by the BSD and MIT licenses, say.
>>
>> Ah, yes, then the software is no longer a virus that could contaminate
>> commercial software, imperiling the integrity of its copyright and
>> its proprietary nature. Instead, it can be used with abandon, thus making
>> a constructive contribution to programs like Microsoft Windows.
>
> I'm a little unsure of what tone to read your post in. Personally I
> don't much mind, say, Steve's example of BSD code being used in Windows.
> There was a time when I might have, but I'm too old and tired (even
> though I'm a mere whippersnapper by a.f.c standards) and jaded from
> having to get work done in the Real World to be that idealistic anymore.

As an idealist trying to get by in the Real World, my compromise
is to try to minimize my contact with Evil Monopolies (Microsoft,
Google, etc.) while recognizing that I'll never be 100% successful.
I set a high priority on giving those bastards as little as possible
that might benefit them.

https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/xscreensaver-windows.html

> One developer I worked with pronounced SQL as "squirrel" and PL/SQL as
> "peeled squirrel". This was the guy with several squirrel skulls on the
> top of his monitor. I inherited those when he was fired for punching
> someone fairly senior in management. -- John Burnham

I've always pronounced SQL as "squeal", which allows me
to impart sufficient violence to things like SQL*Forms
(pronounced "squeal splat forms").

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | Apple is a cult.

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<733196409.698798142.378911.peter_flass-yahoo.com@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8015&group=alt.folklore.computers#8015

From: peter_fl...@yahoo.com (Peter Flass)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 15:55:19 -0700
sha1:YTw7XQ0kA85NifqESjDsWC0zfRs=
 by: Peter Flass - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 22:55 UTC

Dan Crawford <crawdad1967@outlook.com> wrote:
> [...]
> religious trauma brainwashing as well.
>
> Anyone who defends a piece of bourgeois garbage like Richard Stallman is
> a sub-human stain with no spine. The sick fucker made comments in
> defense of child rape and grooming. That's not something that happens by
> accident.
>
> I'm all for curb-stomping every entitled bourgeois and illuminist poop
> stain that either preys on children, or enables such sickness to
> continue. Kill them all and let God sort 'em out.
>
> If you molest my kids, you will be getting killed. I would not report
> the rape to the police until after I get the pervert's confession and
> execution on video tape. Then I would turn myself and the tape in to the
> police in open court and dare them to charge me for killing the bastard.
>
> Death to chomos, rapos, and kid fuckers is the only way to go.

You seem a tad misogynistic, among other things.

--
Pete

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tt67ld$1kug5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8020&group=alt.folklore.computers#8020

From: dan1es...@gmail.com (Dan Espen)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 18:14:53 -0500
 by: Dan Espen - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 23:14 UTC

Charlie Gibbs <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> writes:

> On 2023-02-22, Niklas Karlsson <nikke.karlsson@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Ah, yes, then the software is no longer a virus that could contaminate
>>> commercial software, imperiling the integrity of its copyright and
>>> its proprietary nature. Instead, it can be used with abandon, thus making
>>> a constructive contribution to programs like Microsoft Windows.
>>
>> I'm a little unsure of what tone to read your post in. Personally I
>> don't much mind, say, Steve's example of BSD code being used in Windows.
>> There was a time when I might have, but I'm too old and tired (even
>> though I'm a mere whippersnapper by a.f.c standards) and jaded from
>> having to get work done in the Real World to be that idealistic anymore.
>
> As an idealist trying to get by in the Real World, my compromise
> is to try to minimize my contact with Evil Monopolies (Microsoft,
> Google, etc.) while recognizing that I'll never be 100% successful.
> I set a high priority on giving those bastards as little as possible
> that might benefit them.
>
> https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/xscreensaver-windows.html

Thanks for reminding me to visit jwz.org.

Every morning xscreensaver presents me with some new image or animation.
I have it kick in after a few hours of idle.
The variety of images and effects is just amazing.

--
Dan Espen

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<63F7800F.4678.news.afc@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8039&group=alt.folklore.computers#8039

From: kurt.wei...@realitycheckbbs.org.remove-urq-this (Kurt Weiske)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 07:02:00 -0800
 by: Kurt Weiske - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 15:02 UTC

To: Dan Espen
-=> Dan Espen wrote to alt.folklore.computers <=-

> https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/xscreensaver-windows.html

DE> Thanks for reminding me to visit jwz.org.

My fixation with green text on black background web sites started with
jwz's page - I think he started out on LiveJournal?

kurt weiske | kweiske at realitycheckbbs dot org
| http://realitycheckbbs.org
| 1:218/700@fidonet

.... Discover your formulas and abandon them
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* realitycheckBBS - Aptos, CA - telnet://realitycheckbbs.org

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tt80oc$1taon$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8040&group=alt.folklore.computers#8040

From: dan1es...@gmail.com (Dan Espen)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 10:29:16 -0500
 by: Dan Espen - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 15:29 UTC

"Kurt Weiske" <kurt.weiske@realitycheckbbs.org.remove-urq-this> writes:

> To: Dan Espen
> -=> Dan Espen wrote to alt.folklore.computers <=-
>
> > https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/xscreensaver-windows.html
>
> DE> Thanks for reminding me to visit jwz.org.
>
> My fixation with green text on black background web sites started with
> jwz's page - I think he started out on LiveJournal?

Don't know, but I'm writing this reply in Emacs with a black background
and a chartreuse foreground.

--
Dan Espen

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<g1MJL.1157875$iS99.1140057@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8045&group=alt.folklore.computers#8045

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 15:57:00 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 15:57 UTC

Dan Espen <dan1espen@gmail.com> writes:
>Charlie Gibbs <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> writes:

>>> I'm a little unsure of what tone to read your post in. Personally I
>>> don't much mind, say, Steve's example of BSD code being used in Windows.
>>> There was a time when I might have, but I'm too old and tired (even
>>> though I'm a mere whippersnapper by a.f.c standards) and jaded from
>>> having to get work done in the Real World to be that idealistic anymore.
>>
>> As an idealist trying to get by in the Real World, my compromise
>> is to try to minimize my contact with Evil Monopolies (Microsoft,
>> Google, etc.) while recognizing that I'll never be 100% successful.
>> I set a high priority on giving those bastards as little as possible
>> that might benefit them.
>>
>> https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/xscreensaver-windows.html
>
>Thanks for reminding me to visit jwz.org.
>
>Every morning xscreensaver presents me with some new image or animation.
>I have it kick in after a few hours of idle.
>The variety of images and effects is just amazing.

Personally, I'd rather put the monitor in power-saving mode.

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tt89ka$1uahb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8047&group=alt.folklore.computers#8047

From: dan1es...@gmail.com (Dan Espen)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 13:00:41 -0500
 by: Dan Espen - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 18:00 UTC

scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) writes:

> Dan Espen <dan1espen@gmail.com> writes:
>>Charlie Gibbs <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> writes:

>>> As an idealist trying to get by in the Real World, my compromise
>>> is to try to minimize my contact with Evil Monopolies (Microsoft,
>>> Google, etc.) while recognizing that I'll never be 100% successful.
>>> I set a high priority on giving those bastards as little as possible
>>> that might benefit them.
>>>
>>> https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/xscreensaver-windows.html
>>
>>Thanks for reminding me to visit jwz.org.
>>
>>Every morning xscreensaver presents me with some new image or animation.
>>I have it kick in after a few hours of idle.
>>The variety of images and effects is just amazing.
>
> Personally, I'd rather put the monitor in power-saving mode.

A reasonable choice.

Even though I'm using a 27" 5K monitor, I don't think it's using much
power to stay on all night. The same with the RGB keyboard and mouse.
The USB C hubs bother me more.
So far I haven't found one that doesn't get quite warm.

--
Dan Espen

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<H1PJL.124875$OD18.18518@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8048&group=alt.folklore.computers#8048

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
References: <tsifaj$2o79$1@news.cyber23.de> <dc3d4a5a-e5f8-4e3f-a35d-84b4ece33077n@googlegroups.com> <k58sp5F91mvU1@mid.individual.net> <tsom1j$3n40o$2@bluemanedhawk.eternal-september.org> <k5jicoFrnhhU1@mid.individual.net> <9654d57c-2c07-48e4-9944-00209f5aa26bn@googlegroups.com> <k5nbggFf40eU1@mid.individual.net> <l%vJL.1142196$iS99.1041291@fx16.iad> <tt67ld$1kug5$1@dont-email.me> <g1MJL.1157875$iS99.1140057@fx16.iad> <tt89ka$1uahb$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 19:22:15 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 19:22 UTC

Dan Espen <dan1espen@gmail.com> writes:
>scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) writes:

>>>Every morning xscreensaver presents me with some new image or animation.
>>>I have it kick in after a few hours of idle.
>>>The variety of images and effects is just amazing.
>>
>> Personally, I'd rather put the monitor in power-saving mode.
>
>A reasonable choice.
>
>Even though I'm using a 27" 5K monitor, I don't think it's using much
>power to stay on all night. The same with the RGB keyboard and mouse.
>The USB C hubs bother me more.
>So far I haven't found one that doesn't get quite warm.

My monitors are older (2x 24" ASUS ProArt PA248), which claim
less than or equal to 45 watts when operating, so that's about 90 w for the two
monitors when on.

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<fTSJL.1601393$GNG9.135660@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8055&group=alt.folklore.computers#8055

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
From: cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 23:44:11 GMT
 by: Charlie Gibbs - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 23:44 UTC

On 2023-02-23, Scott Lurndal <scott@slp53.sl.home> wrote:

> Dan Espen <dan1espen@gmail.com> writes:

Yup. Mine kicks in after 10 minutes. I like the way that
it puts up two separate animations on a two-monitor machine.

>>> Personally, I'd rather put the monitor in power-saving mode.
>>
>> A reasonable choice.
>>
>> Even though I'm using a 27" 5K monitor, I don't think it's using much
>> power to stay on all night. The same with the RGB keyboard and mouse.
>> The USB C hubs bother me more.
>> So far I haven't found one that doesn't get quite warm.
>
> My monitors are older (2x 24" ASUS ProArt PA248), which claim
> less than or equal to 45 watts when operating, so that's about
> 90 w for the two monitors when on.

I just switch my monitors off when I'm not using them,
although I leave the computer running so I can get at
it via the network if I wish (e.g. ssh -X from my laptop).

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | Apple is a cult.
X I'm really at ac.dekanfrus | Linux is anarchy.
/ \ if you read it the right way. | Pick your poison.

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<63F829BE.4697.news.afc@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8056&group=alt.folklore.computers#8056

From: kurt.wei...@realitycheckbbs.org.remove-w2s-this (Kurt Weiske)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 19:06:38 -0800
 by: Kurt Weiske - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 03:06 UTC

To: Dan Espen
Re: Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene
By: Dan Espen to alt.folklore.computers on Thu Feb 23 2023 10:29 am

DE> Don't know, but I'm writing this reply in Emacs with a black background
DE> and a chartreuse foreground.

I once had a BBS sysop break into chat while I was dialed in and ask me about my color scheme on his BBS. Wanted to know what I was thinking...

It turned out, I had a Hercules "green-scale" monochrome monitor that showed several shades of green and had shaded it to look good on my monitor. I never did find out what it looked like on his end.

kurt weiske | kweiske at realitycheckbbs dot org
| http://realitycheckbbs.org
| 1:218/700@fidonet
--- Synchronet 3.20a-Win32 NewsLink 1.113
* realitycheckBBS - Aptos, CA - telnet://realitycheckbbs.org

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<06315995-0569-4c12-8995-2d88c7ce6c7en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8083&group=alt.folklore.computers#8083

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 14:24:58 -0800 (PST)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 22:24 UTC

On Wednesday, February 22, 2023 at 1:16:20 PM UTC-7, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
> On 2023-02-21, Quadibloc <jsa...@ecn.ab.ca> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 2:49:16 AM UTC-7, Niklas Karlsson wrote:
> >> As opposed to the more moderate approach
> >> taken by the BSD and MIT licenses, say.
> >
> > Ah, yes, then the software is no longer a virus that could contaminate
> > commercial software, imperiling the integrity of its copyright and
> > its proprietary nature. Instead, it can be used with abandon, thus making
> > a constructive contribution to programs like Microsoft Windows.
> I'm a little unsure of what tone to read your post in. Personally I
> don't much mind, say, Steve's example of BSD code being used in Windows.
> There was a time when I might have, but I'm too old and tired (even
> though I'm a mere whippersnapper by a.f.c standards) and jaded from
> having to get work done in the Real World to be that idealistic anymore.

There was a famous quote where somebody at Microsoft compared
the GNU license to a computer virus.

I was referencing that, not agreeing with the attitude.

John Savard

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<ttn1lk$55s$1@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8128&group=alt.folklore.computers#8128

From: sim...@buste.rs (Simp Busters)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 02:19:41 -0600
 by: Simp Busters - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 08:19 UTC

On 2/22/23 16:55, Peter Flass wrote:
> You seem a tad misogynistic, among other things.

Simpin' for the female predos ...

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<ttoeef$22hj$1@bluemanedhawk.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8141&group=alt.folklore.computers#8141

From: bluemane...@gmail.com (Blue-Maned_Hawk)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 16:01:03 -0500
 by: Blue-Maned_Hawk - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 21:01 UTC

On 3/1/23 03:19, Simp Busters wrote:
> On 2/22/23 16:55, Peter Flass wrote:
>> You seem a tad misogynistic, among other things.
>
> Simpin' for the female predos ...
What?
--
⚗︎ | /blu.mɛin.dʰak/ | shortens to "Hawk" | he/him/his/himself/Mr.
bluemanedhawk.github.io

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<ttofoh$491$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8143&group=alt.folklore.computers#8143

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 21:23:30 -0000 (UTC)
References: <tsifaj$2o79$1@news.cyber23.de> <k53ua3Fg453U1@mid.individual.net> <tsioa9$2qu9$1@news.cyber23.de> <ffd31f3f-da4a-4339-89d0-4fdb886bb110n@googlegroups.com> <slrntuv73u.42m.bencollver@svadhyaya.localdomain> <tt5458$2g9$1@news.cyber23.de> <733196409.698798142.378911.peter_flass-yahoo.com@news.eternal-september.org> <ttn1lk$55s$1@news.cyber23.de> <ttoeef$22hj$1@bluemanedhawk.eternal-september.org>
 by: danny burstein - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 21:23 UTC

In <ttoeef$22hj$1@bluemanedhawk.eternal-september.org> Blue-Maned_Hawk <bluemanedhawk@gmail.com> writes:

[snip... of a umbassday Base 64 posting which included
earlier material, a stupid sig, and... one word of
new stuff, namely]:

"What?"

dannyb@panix.com

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tvi6ju$ipl$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8297&group=alt.folklore.computers#8297

From: wb8...@panix.com (David Lesher)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 18:43:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Lesher - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 18:43 UTC

John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> writes:

>So in this case I think it's "communist" in the sense of "poopyhead".

I had a face to face confrontation with Stallman on the
'GNU/Linux' issue. I told him that if and when Linus, Bob Young,
and Marc Ewing called it that, I would as well. He stomped off.
--
A host is a host from coast to coast...............wb8foz@panix.com

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tvrin2$34i1f$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8306&group=alt.folklore.computers#8306

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 10:04:50 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 08:04 UTC

Am 15.02.2023 um 05:25:22 Uhr schrieb Citadel BBS History:

> Our official position is that the phrase "GNU/Linux"
> is only used by communists like Richard Stallman who contribute
> little more than noise and friction to the open source community."

This is BS - RMS stands for freedom in software development and usage -
communism isn't freedom at all.

Nobody is forced to use or develop free software.

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<QXjUL.2039730$gs1.211196@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8307&group=alt.folklore.computers#8307

Followup: alt.folklore.computers
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
From: roo...@example.net (johnson)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 16:59:28 GMT
 by: johnson - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 16:59 UTC

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.folklore.computers.]
On 2023-03-27, Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
> Am 15.02.2023 um 05:25:22 Uhr schrieb Citadel BBS History:
>
>> Our official position is that the phrase "GNU/Linux"
>> is only used by communists like Richard Stallman who contribute
>> little more than noise and friction to the open source community."
>
> This is BS - RMS stands for freedom in software development and usage -
> communism isn't freedom at all.
>
> Nobody is forced to use or develop free software.

well said, that man

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<tvtio2$7vq$1@news.cyber23.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8310&group=alt.folklore.computers#8310

From: schliess...@einbrecher.invalid (Arschraub Bosartig)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 02:17:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Arschraub Bosartig - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 02:17 UTC

On 3/27/23 03:04, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am 15.02.2023 um 05:25:22 Uhr schrieb Citadel BBS History:
>
>> Our official position is that the phrase "GNU/Linux"
>> is only used by communists like Richard Stallman who contribute
>> little more than noise and friction to the open source community."
>
> This is BS - RMS stands for freedom in software development and usage -
> communism isn't freedom at all.

Nein. RMS is a pinko. RMS stands for the freedom of big companies and
his pinko hacker friends to use your free software, make mountains of
money, and pay you nothing for it. That's what the GPL is really about.
It is about their freedom to use you, not your freedom as a creator.

> Nobody is forced to use or develop free software.

If you don't have a free software repository online you will not have an
easy time finding a job in the stack monkey market. You are forced
create free software if you want to be considered for jobs. Most
employers I know of want to see your public github repo. So RMS and his
GPL have millions of programmers donating free code to Microsoft's
GitHub, the biggest proprietary, non-free software maker in the world.

His "free software" movement has myriads of programmers writing software
for free that the corporations use to make money. Free software ideology
is basically a free-of-charge labor racket dressed up in slogans. That's
communism.

Others with a brain realize this as well:

"RMS wants all software to be GPL, which not only requires source code
and permits modification but also permits redistribution. So basically
it allows others "pirate your product", at least compared to commercial
licenses. So you're gonna be dependent on donations, which (if anything)
keep you at the bare minimum for the project to survive, 99% of the
time. De facto, he is against making money from software (as well as
online services, btw)." --k0defix (reddit)

Then others without a brain blurt insanity like this:

"No, because if he was a Communist, he would not insist that people can
package free software and sell it." --johncate73 (reddit)

But he insists that the original author must permit anyone else to
package and sell his creation, without compensation. That's communism.

--
Arschraub Bosartig

!furzen!tuten!hupen!poopen!kacke!kinderficker

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<20230328081639.c2fbbad7bb0e630e0da0baab@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8315&group=alt.folklore.computers#8315

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 08:16:39 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 07:16 UTC

On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 02:17:38 -0000 (UTC)
Arschraub Bosartig <schliessmuskel@einbrecher.invalid> wrote:

> If you don't have a free software repository online you will not have an
> easy time finding a job in the stack monkey market. You are forced
> create free software if you want to be considered for jobs.

This is not true, I have been continuously employed as a software
developer since 1982, always moving upwards, never having trouble getting
employment and at 63 I regularly get messages from recruiters (I've been
turning down Google, Amazon and Facebook/Meta for years). I have never
published any free software other than small contribution to existing
projects, I certainly don't have a github repo.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<slrnu25l5d.27e.jj@iridium.wf32df>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8316&group=alt.folklore.computers#8316

Followup: alt.folklore.computers
From: jj...@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:51:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:51 UTC

On 2023-03-28, Arschraub Bosartig <schliessmuskel@einbrecher.invalid> wrote:
> His "free software" movement has myriads of programmers writing software
> for free that the corporations use to make money. Free software ideology
> is basically a free-of-charge labor racket dressed up in slogans. That's
> communism.

Wow that's communism is it. When is it time for your meds?

> "No, because if he was a Communist, he would not insist that people can
> package free software and sell it." --johncate73 (reddit)
>
> But he insists that the original author must permit anyone else to
> package and sell his creation, without compensation. That's communism.

He doesn't _insist_ . As a writer of software you can choose
any license you fancy - from propriety ones to a miriad of open source
ones.

I assume you are equally down on all other open source licenses????

Jeeze you are brain dead.

Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene

<slrnu25l7s.27e.jj@iridium.wf32df>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8317&group=alt.folklore.computers#8317

From: jj...@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers,alt.bbs
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:52:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:52 UTC

On 2023-03-28, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 02:17:38 -0000 (UTC)
> Arschraub Bosartig <schliessmuskel@einbrecher.invalid> wrote:
>
>> If you don't have a free software repository online you will not have an
>> easy time finding a job in the stack monkey market. You are forced
>> create free software if you want to be considered for jobs.
>
> This is not true, I have been continuously employed as a software
> developer since 1982, always moving upwards, never having trouble getting
> employment and at 63 I regularly get messages from recruiters (I've been
> turning down Google, Amazon and Facebook/Meta for years). I have never
> published any free software other than small contribution to existing
> projects, I certainly don't have a github repo.

Like everything else he says - it doesn't make sense.

computers / alt.folklore.computers / Re: Richard Stallman as Seen via the BBS Scene