From: ada...@no_thanks.com (Adam)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: GIMP: Title still says 'Untitled' after Export (Ctrl+E)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 07:59:52 -0700
 by: Adam - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 14:59 UTC

On 03/25/2024 10:45 AM, Adam wrote:

> Just started happening recently. Before, the title would reflect the
> name of the image.
>
> Any ideas?

Re: GIMP: Title still says 'Untitled' after Export (Ctrl+E)

<utv1t6$1rth7$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8014&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8014

From: Monsi...@notreal.invalid (Monsieur)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:50:29 +0100
 by: Monsieur - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 17:50 UTC

Adam wrote:
> On 03/25/2024 10:45 AM, Adam wrote:
>>
>> Just started happening recently.  Before, the title would reflect the
>> name of the image.
>>
>> Any ideas?

Just tested it with GIMP 2.10.30, the exported image still has the
original name. Must be something else going on.

This reminds me of Mint's Text Editor (xed or gedit), which saves
documents with no name as "unsaved document", which is really silly.
It's untitled yes, but not "unsaved", it's sitting right there where I
saved it. This is just stupid.

Hard to believe the maintainers of xed/gedit haven't noticed this yet.
Or maybe they just don't care.

Re: GIMP: Title still says 'Untitled' after Export (Ctrl+E)

<utvaon$2auj7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8017&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8017

From: ala...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:21:43 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 20:21 UTC

On 3/26/24 01:50 PM, Monsieur wrote:
> Adam wrote:
>> On 03/25/2024 10:45 AM, Adam wrote:
>>>
>>> Just started happening recently.  Before, the title would reflect the
>>> name of the image.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>

> Just tested it with GIMP 2.10.30, the exported image still has the original name. Must be something
> else going on.
>
> This reminds me of Mint's Text Editor (xed or gedit), which saves documents with no name as "unsaved
> document", which is really silly. It's untitled yes, but not "unsaved", it's sitting right there
> where I saved it. This is just stupid.
>
> Hard to believe the maintainers of xed/gedit haven't noticed this yet. Or maybe they just don't care.
The saved/unsaved status is the * in front of the name, not the name.

I guess it would be more proper to use Document1/Image1 for a name rather than unsaved. I guess the
programmers just sorta thought the user would name it as it is saved. A small flaw in logic, but it
seems logical the user would name it on the way out.

For temp stuff, I'm constantly just saving it as Unsaved/Untitled.

--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 Kernel 6.5.0-26-generic
Al

Re: GIMP: Title still says 'Untitled' after Export (Ctrl+E)

<utvesc$2c61d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8018&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8018

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 17:31:54 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 21:31 UTC

On 3/26/2024 4:21 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 3/26/24 01:50 PM, Monsieur wrote:
>> Adam wrote:

>> Just tested it with GIMP 2.10.30, the exported image still has the original name. Must be something else going on.
>>
>> This reminds me of Mint's Text Editor (xed or gedit), which saves documents with no name as "unsaved document", which is really silly. It's untitled yes, but not "unsaved", it's sitting right there where I saved it. This is just stupid.
>>
>> Hard to believe the maintainers of xed/gedit haven't noticed this yet. Or maybe they just don't care.
> The saved/unsaved status is the * in front of the name, not the name.
>
> I guess it would be more proper to use Document1/Image1 for a name rather than unsaved.  I guess the programmers just sorta thought the user would name it as it is saved.  A small flaw in logic, but it seems logical the user would name it on the way out.
>
> For temp stuff, I'm constantly just saving it as Unsaved/Untitled.

There was a time, when a pane opened and you dumped text in it,
it was a "New Document", and if you did not like the name,
you would correct it during the Save() operation. It's a New Document,
because the pane started life in an undefined state, without an
existing file handle.

I'm seeing editors today that are stupid enough, to take the first
text you pasted and fill the file handle with that. Which is definitely
not what the user had in mind, and like all the other examples done
so far, indicates a lack of <cough> "perception".

feeling like a pig today.txt <=== um, not what I had in mind as a filename

I know working on text editors is considered boring for developers
and "beneath them", considering the sample code they had to write
to get their CS degree, but "work step by step and try harder".
Or an AI will get your job. AI's lack fit and finish.
The humans had better show the AI efforts up :-)

Paul

Re: GIMP: Title still says 'Untitled' after Export (Ctrl+E)

<utvg34$2cb48$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8019&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8019

From: ala...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 17:52:35 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 21:52 UTC

On 3/26/24 05:31 PM, Paul wrote:
> I'm seeing editors today that are stupid enough, to take the first
> text you pasted and fill the file handle with that. Which is definitely
> not what the user had in mind, and like all the other examples done
> so far, indicates a lack of <cough> "perception".
I have a notepad app on the phone, 'Fast Note', and it does just that. The first line is the title
of the note on the home page. I just have to remember that quirk.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4 Kernel 6.5.0-26-generic
Al

Re: GIMP: Title still says 'Untitled' after Export (Ctrl+E)

<utvkbh$2dclg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8022&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8022

From: ada...@no_thanks.com (Adam)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:05:21 -0700
 by: Adam - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 23:05 UTC

On 03/26/2024 02:31 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 3/26/2024 4:21 PM, Big Al wrote:

>>> Just tested it with GIMP 2.10.30, the exported image still has the original name. Must be something else going on.
>>>
>>> This reminds me of Mint's Text Editor (xed or gedit), which saves documents with no name as "unsaved document", which is really silly. It's untitled yes, but not "unsaved", it's sitting right there where I saved it. This is just stupid.
>>>
>>> Hard to believe the maintainers of xed/gedit haven't noticed this yet. Or maybe they just don't care.
>> The saved/unsaved status is the * in front of the name, not the name.
>>
>> I guess it would be more proper to use Document1/Image1 for a name rather than unsaved. I guess the programmers just sorta thought the user would name it as it is saved. A small flaw in logic, but it seems logical the user would name it on the way out.
>>
>> For temp stuff, I'm constantly just saving it as Unsaved/Untitled.
>>

> There was a time, when a pane opened and you dumped text in it,
> it was a "New Document", and if you did not like the name,
> you would correct it during the Save() operation. It's a New Document,
> because the pane started life in an undefined state, without an
> existing file handle.
>
> I'm seeing editors today that are stupid enough, to take the first
> text you pasted and fill the file handle with that. Which is definitely
> not what the user had in mind, and like all the other examples done
> so far, indicates a lack of <cough> "perception".
>
> feeling like a pig today.txt <=== um, not what I had in mind as a filename
>
> I know working on text editors is considered boring for developers
> and "beneath them", considering the sample code they had to write
> to get their CS degree, but "work step by step and try harder".
> Or an AI will get your job. AI's lack fit and finish.
> The humans had better show the AI efforts up :-)
>
> Paul

Searching for "Untitled" on my drive shows only PDF files. And,
the image files are usually found on disk by searching for the filename
via Nautilus.

Been scratching my head thinking I may have hit some key sequence (by
accident) that brought GIMP into this state. But, just now, I was able
to get the correct image filename to show (in the Title) by clicking on
the "File" menu for the drop-down menu in order to see what filename
shows up next to "Export to..." function. The correct image filename was
listed there. Then, guess what, the name in the Title suddenly changed
from "Untitled" to the correct image filename. Go figure.