Professional wrestling: ballet for the common man.

computers / news.software.readers / Re: (Dialog) Drafts is black

SubjectAuthor
* (Dialog) Drafts is blackLars Anders
`* Re: (Dialog) Drafts is blackBernd Rose
 `* Re: (Dialog) Drafts is blackLars Anders
  `* Re: (Dialog) Drafts is blackBernd Rose
   `* Re: (Dialog) Drafts is blackLars Anders
    `* Re: (Dialog) Drafts is blackLars Anders
     `* Re: (Dialog) Drafts is blackBernd Rose
      `* Re: (Dialog) Drafts is blackLars Anders
       `* Re: (Dialog) Drafts is blackBernd Rose
        `* Re: (Dialog) Drafts is blackLars Anders
         `- Re: (Dialog) Drafts is blackBernd Rose

1
(Dialog) Drafts is black

<st00tu$15hn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=786&group=news.software.readers#786

From: larsande...@glocalnet.se (Lars Anders)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: (Dialog) Drafts is black
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 07:02:24 +0100
 by: Lars Anders - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 06:02 UTC

Is 40Tude Dialog "Drafts" view tab supposed to be black all?
[https://i.postimg.cc/SKZnRgFV/Clipboard01.jpg]

Re: (Dialog) Drafts is black

<1xowirfk4zcuo$.dlg@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=787&group=news.software.readers#787

From: b.rose.t...@arcor.de (Bernd Rose)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: Re: (Dialog) Drafts is black
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 07:30:52 +0100
 by: Bernd Rose - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 06:30 UTC

On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 07:02:24 +0100, Lars Anders wrote:

> Is 40Tude Dialog "Drafts" view tab supposed to be black all?
> [https://i.postimg.cc/SKZnRgFV/Clipboard01.jpg]

Of course not. Your headers say, that you are using Build 38 of the
Beta 38. That's rare. Replace Dialog.exe with the one from Build 41:

https://www.barghahn-online.de/4td_faq/download/dialog_41.zip

See what happens. Maybe also change the width of the (now black)
column just a little it.

I hope, you installed Dialog into a non-managed folder and /not/
to any system "Program Files" folder? The latter would cause a
multitude of problems, if not done correctly.

HTH.
Bernd

Re: (Dialog) Drafts is black

<st05sn$n97$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=788&group=news.software.readers#788

From: larsande...@glocalnet.se (Lars Anders)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 08:27:05 +0100
 by: Lars Anders - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 07:27 UTC

On 28 Jan 2022, Bernd Rose <b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de> wrote :

> See what happens. Maybe also change the width of the (now black)
> column just a little it.
>
> I hope, you installed Dialog into a non-managed folder and /not/
> to any system "Program Files" folder? The latter would cause a
> multitude of problems, if not done correctly.

Dialog 41 is installed into C:\Dialog and it blacks "Drafts" same.
Resizing "Drafts" side lines maked no difference.

Not can be deleted anything in "Drafts".
Must be a bug.

Maybe should reinstall and check again from fresh.
Can I only delete a special "Drafts" file in C:\Dialog folders?

Re: (Dialog) Drafts is black

<irccxvfehhy3.dlg@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=790&group=news.software.readers#790

From: b.rose.t...@arcor.de (Bernd Rose)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 18:43:10 +0100
 by: Bernd Rose - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 17:43 UTC

On Fri, 28 Jan 2022 08:27:05 +0100, Lars Anders wrote:

> Dialog 41 is installed into C:\Dialog and it blacks "Drafts" same.
> Resizing "Drafts" side lines maked no difference.
>
> Not can be deleted anything in "Drafts".

Strange. Sounds like a defect database.

> Maybe should reinstall and check again from fresh.
> Can I only delete a special "Drafts" file in C:\Dialog folders?

This would create inconsistencies in the database. The dedicated
Drafts files contain only pointers into the message database, where
drafts are intermingled with any other messages.

You could try File -> Compact Database first. Maybe, afterwards you
/can/ delete the drafts...

Bernd

Re: (Dialog) Drafts is black

<st1uok$1u5n$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=792&group=news.software.readers#792

From: larsande...@glocalnet.se (Lars Anders)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 00:37:40 +0100
 by: Lars Anders - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 23:37 UTC

On 28 Jan 2022, Bernd Rose <b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de> wrote :

> You could try File -> Compact Database first. Maybe, afterwards you
> /can/ delete the drafts...

Tried "File => Compact database" & "File => Update all database files"
It did not maked any difference in all black "Drafts".

I am not to worry.
Bigger fish to cook later.

I will install Dialog later again when having time.
Thank you for helping me!

Re: (Dialog) Drafts is black

<st41hf$6o9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=794&group=news.software.readers#794

From: larsande...@glocalnet.se (Lars Anders)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 19:37:18 +0100
 by: Lars Anders - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 18:37 UTC

On 28 Jan 2022, Lars Anders <larsanders1998@glocalnet.se> wrote :

> I will install Dialog later again when having time.

Before I starts all over again from nothing.
I am curious if there is easy steps resetting Dialog from scratched?

I already 7zipped the C:\dialog directory.
I can re-install a new dialog c:\dialog2.

But is there a short list to bring setup files from old Dialog to new?
I don't need news messages.
Just Dialog customized setup files.

group setup (including categories)
server setup (including login/password)
script setup (if any)

Is there description of that what each files do?

Re: (Dialog) Drafts is black

<1d2mrjk743xbl.dlg@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=795&group=news.software.readers#795

From: b.rose.t...@arcor.de (Bernd Rose)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 09:26:32 +0100
 by: Bernd Rose - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 08:26 UTC

On Sat, 29th Jan 2022 19:37:18 +0100, Lars Anders wrote:

> Before I starts all over again from nothing.
> I am curious if there is easy steps resetting Dialog from scratched?

Best method is to archive the complete Dialog folder with all subfolders
to a backup location. (When all settings are in order, but before any
"real" work is done.)

As an addition, it is a good idea to run "Compact Database" from Dialog
file menu once in a while and *keep* the latest backup from DATA while
doing so. (Older backups can be deleted manually, later on, if disk space
is an issue.) If the Dialog database gets corrupted, you rename or delete
the current DATA directory and rename the latest backup DATA_oldXX to
DATA. *Never(!!)* merge the content of two DATA folders. (This /will/
damage the database beyond repair!)

How often you use "Compact Database" depends on your usage scenario.
Normally, especially with text groups, you can go years without. If you
use Dialog for high-traffic binary groups, as well, (not recommended,
there are more capable and up-to-date programs for /this/ - ask here
in this group, if you need pointers), then weekly Compact Database may
not be a bad idea.

Apart from this, you can also set up a backup process using an external
tool or OS function to archive the complete DATA folder once in a while
or even daily. Again, do /not/ use incremental backups! Always save the
complete DATA folder. And while archiving and - even more importantly -
when restoring a backup, make sure, that 40tude Dialog is not running!
> But is there a short list to bring setup files from old Dialog to new?
> I don't need news messages.
> Just Dialog customized setup files.
>
> group setup (including categories)
> server setup (including login/password)

As an exception to my prior warning, you /can/ add the following files
from an archive to a *pristine* DATA directory /or/ to a DATA directory,
that has the *same* status of "Compact Database" and *no* update to the
server and groups settings:

Server setup (including login credentials):
servers.dat
alldsc.dss

Group setup:
groups.idg
groups.stg

Groups per server setup:
*.gtl (one for each server)

Categories setup:
cat_*.cto
groups_sub.idx

Other settings (not all may be shown in your setup):
addrbook.dat
sigs.dat
xheaders.dat
mimetype.txt
*.uid

> script setup (if any)

These are in a dedicated Scripts folder and can be (completely!) replaced
by the content of an archived Scripts folder.

Btw.: Do /not/ delete the "temp" subfolder! It is required.
> Is there description of that what each files do?

I've created a reference for myself years ago. (Including information about
the internal structure of each file.) But I will /not/ share this, because I
regard the proprietary database structure of 40tude Dialog as (copyrighted)
property of Marcus Mönnig.

HTH.
Bernd

Re: (Dialog) Drafts is black

<st7okv$5ch$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=799&group=news.software.readers#799

From: larsande...@glocalnet.se (Lars Anders)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 05:30:08 +0100
 by: Lars Anders - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 04:30 UTC

On 30 Jan 2022, Bernd Rose <b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de> wrote :

> Best method is to archive the complete Dialog folder with all subfolders
> to a backup location. (When all settings are in order, but before any
> "real" work is done.)

I just did that! Thanks!

> As an addition, it is a good idea to run "Compact Database" from Dialog
> file menu once in a while and *keep* the latest backup from DATA while
> doing so. (Older backups can be deleted manually, later on, if disk space
> is an issue.) If the Dialog database gets corrupted, you rename or delete
> the current DATA directory and rename the latest backup DATA_oldXX to
> DATA. *Never(!!)* merge the content of two DATA folders. (This /will/
> damage the database beyond repair!)

Good advise!

> How often you use "Compact Database" depends on your usage scenario.
> Normally, especially with text groups, you can go years without. If you
> use Dialog for high-traffic binary groups, as well, (not recommended,
> there are more capable and up-to-date programs for /this/ - ask here
> in this group, if you need pointers), then weekly Compact Database may
> not be a bad idea.

I only sent/read text.
> Apart from this, you can also set up a backup process using an external
> tool or OS function to archive the complete DATA folder once in a while
> or even daily. Again, do /not/ use incremental backups! Always save the
> complete DATA folder. And while archiving and - even more importantly -
> when restoring a backup, make sure, that 40tude Dialog is not running!

Good warning on no incremental backups!
Nice to know.

>> But is there a short list to bring setup files from old Dialog to new?
>> I don't need news messages.
>> Just Dialog customized setup files.
>>
>> group setup (including categories)
>> server setup (including login/password)
>
> As an exception to my prior warning, you /can/ add the following files
> from an archive to a *pristine* DATA directory /or/ to a DATA directory,
> that has the *same* status of "Compact Database" and *no* update to the
> server and groups settings:
>
> Server setup (including login credentials):
> servers.dat
> alldsc.dss
>
> Group setup:
> groups.idg
> groups.stg
>
> Groups per server setup:
> *.gtl (one for each server)
>
> Categories setup:
> cat_*.cto
> groups_sub.idx
>
> Other settings (not all may be shown in your setup):
> addrbook.dat
> sigs.dat
> xheaders.dat
> mimetype.txt
> *.uid

I SAVE this in C:\dialog2 folder for future using!

>> script setup (if any)
>
> These are in a dedicated Scripts folder and can be (completely!) replaced
> by the content of an archived Scripts folder.
>
> Btw.: Do /not/ delete the "temp" subfolder! It is required.

What is SkipToNextThread.ds doing in customscripts?
Did I add that by mistaken?

Program SkipToNextThread;
Begin
lockdisplay;
try
dropmarker;
ADo('CollapseThread');
ADo('NextMessage');
dropmarker;
prevmarker;
prevmarker;
nextmarker
finally
unlockdisplay;
end;
End.

Re: (Dialog) Drafts is black

<1q4blmq089v93$.dlg@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=800&group=news.software.readers#800

From: b.rose.t...@arcor.de (Bernd Rose)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 07:20:53 +0100
 by: Bernd Rose - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 06:20 UTC

On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 05:30:08 +0100, Lars Anders wrote:

> What is SkipToNextThread.ds doing in customscripts?
> Did I add that by mistaken?

This is an example script that comes with the Dialog setup. It /doesn't/
work as intended. Delete all references to markers in this script, compile
it and it should collapse the current thread and scroll down to the next
one. It only is useful, when assigned to a button and/or shortcut. But
then, a similar function (without the collapse) is already part of the
Navigation menu functions...

Bernd

Re: (Dialog) Drafts is black

<st8vlg$1ur1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=801&group=news.software.readers#801

From: larsande...@glocalnet.se (Lars Anders)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 16:36:01 +0100
 by: Lars Anders - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 15:36 UTC

On 31 Jan 2022, Bernd Rose <b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de> wrote :

> This is an example script that comes with the Dialog setup.

Thank you.
It is compiled in C:\Dialog3\Scripts\Custom\SkipToNextThread.{ds,cds}

> Delete all references to markers in this script, compile
> it and it should collapse the current thread and scroll down to the next
> one.

This ok?
Program SkipToNextThread;
Begin
lockdisplay;
try
ADo('CollapseThread');
ADo('NextMessage');
finally
unlockdisplay;
end;
End.

> It only is useful, when assigned to a button and/or shortcut.

It took long time to find deep shortcuts menus but they are found.
Settings : Scripting : Scripting... : Custom scripts : Show button config
Customize Toolbars : Commands : Categories : Scripts : SkipToNextThread
Shortcut = Ctrl+G
Customize Toolbars : Close
Scripting : File : Close

Thank you for good suggestion for SkipToNextThread + collapse!

> a similar function (without the collapse) is already part of the
> Navigation menu functions...

I look to find this are in the top bar default icons.
View/get next unread message (Ctrl+N)
Skip to next unread message (N)
View/get next unread message in thread (Ctrl+T)
Skip to next unread message in thread (T)
Skip to next unread newsgroup (S)
No one icon will skip to next thread that I find.

But then I find in the Navigate menu as you said it be.
Navigate : Skip to next thread (no button assigned)

Happy I fix problem!
Settings : Scripting : Scripting... : Custom scripts : Show button config
Customize Toolbars : Commands : Categories : Navigate : Skip to next thread
Shortcut = G
Customize Toolbars : Close
Scripting : File : Close

Now happy with fix!
Skip to next thread no collapse (G)
Skip to next thread yes collapse (Ctrl+G)

Thank you.
Dialog is powerful with invest time!

I put remind file in Dialog3\Scripts folder named "SkipToNextThread.txt"

Re: (Dialog) Drafts is black

<qilxgvo6hhjl$.dlg@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=802&group=news.software.readers#802

From: b.rose.t...@arcor.de (Bernd Rose)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 18:11:25 +0100
 by: Bernd Rose - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 17:11 UTC

On Mon, 31st Jan 2022 16:36:01 +0100, Lars Anders wrote:

> It took long time to find deep shortcuts menus but they are found.
> Settings : Scripting : Scripting... : Custom scripts : Show button config

Or: <Settings> <Configure Buttons/Shortcuts> <Category: Scripts>

Bernd