From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Purpose of this group?
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 14:41:39 -0600
 by: olcott - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 20:41 UTC

On 2/12/2024 1:41 PM, immibis wrote:
> On 12/02/24 19:54, olcott wrote:
>> That I and their own (linked) papers agree that the only reason
>> the halting problem cannot be solved only because is there is
>> something wrong with it is easily verified as factual.
>
> This is unfactual. None of the papers you linked prove there is anything
> wrong with the halting problem.

You can claim that it is unfactual yet the actual facts
prove that it is factual.

*Try and show how this means that there is nothing*
*wrong with the halting problem specification*

The proof of the halting problem assumes a universal
halt test exists and then provides S as an example of
a program that the test cannot handle. But S is not a
program at all. It is not even a conceptual object, and
this is due to *inconsistencies in the specification* of
the halting function. (Stoddart: 2017:8)

[3] Bill Stoddart. The Halting Paradox
https://arxiv.org/abs/1906.05340
arXiv:1906.05340 [cs.LO]

Re: Purpose of this group?

<uqe37m$1navm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7992&group=sci.logic#7992

From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 22:40:06 +0100
 by: immibis - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 21:40 UTC

On 12/02/24 21:41, olcott wrote:
> On 2/12/2024 1:41 PM, immibis wrote:
>> On 12/02/24 19:54, olcott wrote:
>>> That I and their own (linked) papers agree that the only reason
>>> the halting problem cannot be solved only because is there is
>>> something wrong with it is easily verified as factual.
>>
>> This is unfactual. None of the papers you linked prove there is
>> anything wrong with the halting problem.
>
> You can claim that it is unfactual yet the actual facts
> prove that it is factual.

You can claim that it is factual yet the actual facts prove that it is
unfactual.

> *Try and show how this means that there is nothing*
> *wrong with the halting problem specification >
> The proof of the halting problem assumes a universal
> halt test exists and then provides S as an example of
> a program that the test cannot handle. But S is not a
> program at all. It is not even a conceptual object, and
> this is due to *inconsistencies in the specification* of
> the halting function. (Stoddart: 2017:8)

When we are talking about the halting problem for Turing machines, S is
a Turing machine because it meets the criteria for being a Turing
machine. There are no "hidden criteria".

Re: Purpose of this group?

<uqe3hl$1ne73$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7996&group=sci.logic#7996

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:45:25 -0600
 by: olcott - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 21:45 UTC

On 2/12/2024 3:40 PM, immibis wrote:
> On 12/02/24 21:41, olcott wrote:
>>>
>>> This is unfactual. None of the papers you linked prove there is
>>> anything wrong with the halting problem.
>>
>> You can claim that it is unfactual yet the actual facts
>> prove that it is factual.
>
> You can claim that it is factual yet the actual facts prove that it is
> unfactual.
>
>> *Try and show how this means that there is nothing*
>> *wrong with the halting problem specification >
>> The proof of the halting problem assumes a universal
>> halt test exists and then provides S as an example of
>> a program that the test cannot handle. But S is not a
>> program at all. It is not even a conceptual object, and
>> this is due to *inconsistencies in the specification* of
>> the halting function. (Stoddart: 2017:8)
>>

> When we are talking about the halting problem for Turing machines, S is
> a Turing machine because it meets the criteria for being a Turing
> machine. There are no "hidden criteria".

The question is not whether you agree with Stoddart. The question
whether Stoddart agrees with me, that the halting problem cannot
be solved because there is something wrong with it

*inconsistencies in the specification*
says there is something wrong with it.

Re: Purpose of this group?

<uqe8h4$1o8sd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8001&group=sci.logic#8001

From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 00:10:28 +0100
 by: immibis - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 23:10 UTC

On 12/02/24 22:45, olcott wrote:
> On 2/12/2024 3:40 PM, immibis wrote:
>> When we are talking about the halting problem for Turing machines, S
>> is a Turing machine because it meets the criteria for being a Turing
>> machine. There are no "hidden criteria".
>>

> The question is not whether you agree with Stoddart. The question
> whether Stoddart agrees with me,

How very self-centered of you. No matter what you think about Stoddart,
the fact remains: S is a Turing machine because it meets the criteria
for being a Turing machine. There are no "hidden criteria".

> that the halting problem cannot
> be solved because there is something wrong with it

There is nothing wrong with problems that cannot be solved, except that
they cannot be solved, which is a problem to people who want to solve them.

> *inconsistencies in the specification*
> says there is something wrong with it.

That you do not understand the halting problem does not prove there is
an inconsistency in it.

Re: Purpose of this group?

<uqehft$1peti$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8007&group=sci.logic#8007

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 19:43:25 -0600
 by: olcott - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 01:43 UTC

On 2/12/2024 5:10 PM, immibis wrote:
> On 12/02/24 22:45, olcott wrote:
>> On 2/12/2024 3:40 PM, immibis wrote:
>>> When we are talking about the halting problem for Turing machines, S
>>> is a Turing machine because it meets the criteria for being a Turing
>>> machine. There are no "hidden criteria".
>>>

>> The question is not whether you agree with Stoddart. The question
>> whether Stoddart agrees with me,
>
> How very self-centered of you. No matter what you think about Stoddart,
> the fact remains: S is a Turing machine because it meets the criteria
> for being a Turing machine. There are no "hidden criteria".
>
>> that the halting problem cannot
>> be solved because there is something wrong with it
>
> There is nothing wrong with problems that cannot be solved, except that
> they cannot be solved, which is a problem to people who want to solve them.

According to that reasoning I can correctly determine that you
must be stupid when you cannot correctly answer this question:
What time is it (yes or no)?

I had forgotten that I came up with the idea
of ill-formed question all the way back in 2004.

Alan Turing's Halting Problem is incorrectly formed (PART-TWO) sci.logic
On 6/20/2004 11:31 AM, Peter Olcott wrote:
> PREMISES:
> (1) The Halting Problem was specified in such a way that a solution
> was defined to be impossible.
>
> (2) The set of questions that are defined to not have any possible
> correct answer(s) forms a proper subset of all possible questions.
> …
> CONCLUSION:
> Therefore the Halting Problem is an ill-formed question.

USENET Message-ID:
<kZiBc.103407$Gx4.18142@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>

>> *inconsistencies in the specification*
>> says there is something wrong with it.
>
> That you do not understand the halting problem does not prove there is
> an inconsistency in it.

That professor Stoddart (and Hehner) agree that
it has *inconsistencies in the specification*
proves that I am not a crank.

Re: Purpose of this group?

<uqhed4$2g8th$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8043&group=sci.logic#8043

From: new...@immibis.com (immibis)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 05:09:08 +0100
 by: immibis - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:09 UTC

On 13/02/24 02:43, olcott wrote:
> On 2/12/2024 5:10 PM, immibis wrote:
>>
>> There is nothing wrong with problems that cannot be solved, except
>> that they cannot be solved, which is a problem to people who want to
>> solve them.
>>

> According to that reasoning I can correctly determine that you
> must be stupid when you cannot correctly answer this question:
> What time is it (yes or no)?

What?