From: rob...@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: cifs : Resources temporarily unavalailable
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 14:02:48 +0100
 by: RobH - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 13:02 UTC

I have a cifs share in my /etc/fstab file

/192.168.0.42/Music /mnt/Media/music
cifs,username=uname,password=passworduid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,noperm

After it is mounted?? and then I do df -h

df: /mnt/Media/music: Resource temporarily unavailable.

Ok, but the music files are actually mounted on my computer from my NAS
drive.
So why the message?

Thanks

Re: cifs : Resources temporarily unavalailable

<uvh1hi$3o03o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8086&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8086

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: cifs : Resources temporarily unavalailable
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 12:50:56 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 16:50 UTC

On 4/14/2024 9:02 AM, RobH wrote:
> I have a cifs share in my /etc/fstab file
>
> /192.168.0.42/Music /mnt/Media/music cifs,username=uname,password=passworduid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,noperm
>
> After it is mounted?? and then I do df -h
>
> df: /mnt/Media/music: Resource temporarily unavailable.
>
> Ok, but the music files are actually mounted on my computer from my NAS drive.
> So why the message?
>
> Thanks

Only the server at the other end, from moment to moment,
knows "used_clusters" versus "total_clusters", assuming
this is NTFS storage on the server end.

You can dynamically expand NTFS during runtime, and then
a server share can report to you, the new statistics,
but only if you ask.

For that matter, even if you aren't using a mount, there
could be a routine in Linux which, in effect, "pings"
storage devices. You might see a local disk drive light
flash, when it does not need to flash. This has been
a problem in the past with DVD players, where the player
may spin up a bit because the OS pinged it.

Paul

Re: cifs : Resources temporarily unavalailable

<l82iq2Fijv8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8087&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8087

From: rob...@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 18:41:22 +0100
 by: RobH - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 17:41 UTC

On 14/04/2024 17:50, Paul wrote:
> On 4/14/2024 9:02 AM, RobH wrote:
>> I have a cifs share in my /etc/fstab file
>>
>> /192.168.0.42/Music /mnt/Media/music cifs,username=uname,password=passworduid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,noperm
>>
>> After it is mounted?? and then I do df -h
>>
>> df: /mnt/Media/music: Resource temporarily unavailable.
>>
>> Ok, but the music files are actually mounted on my computer from my NAS drive.
>> So why the message?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Only the server at the other end, from moment to moment,
> knows "used_clusters" versus "total_clusters", assuming
> this is NTFS storage on the server end.
>
> You can dynamically expand NTFS during runtime, and then
> a server share can report to you, the new statistics,
> but only if you ask.
>
> For that matter, even if you aren't using a mount, there
> could be a routine in Linux which, in effect, "pings"
> storage devices. You might see a local disk drive light
> flash, when it does not need to flash. This has been
> a problem in the past with DVD players, where the player
> may spin up a bit because the OS pinged it.
>
> Paul

Ok thanks for the explanation, so it's nothing to bother about in a way
that it may not be working as such, because it is.

Re: cifs : Resources temporarily unavalailable

<l83qolFo5q4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8088&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8088

From: Gor...@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: 15 Apr 2024 05:03:17 GMT
 by: Gordon - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 05:03 UTC

On 2024-04-14, RobH <rob@nospam.com> wrote:
> On 14/04/2024 17:50, Paul wrote:
>> On 4/14/2024 9:02 AM, RobH wrote:
>>> I have a cifs share in my /etc/fstab file
>>>
>>> /192.168.0.42/Music /mnt/Media/music cifs,username=uname,password=passworduid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,noperm
>>>
>>> After it is mounted?? and then I do df -h
>>>
>>> df: /mnt/Media/music: Resource temporarily unavailable.
>>>
>>> Ok, but the music files are actually mounted on my computer from my NAS drive.
>>> So why the message?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> Only the server at the other end, from moment to moment,
>> knows "used_clusters" versus "total_clusters", assuming
>> this is NTFS storage on the server end.
>>
>> You can dynamically expand NTFS during runtime, and then
>> a server share can report to you, the new statistics,
>> but only if you ask.
>>
>> For that matter, even if you aren't using a mount, there
>> could be a routine in Linux which, in effect, "pings"
>> storage devices. You might see a local disk drive light
>> flash, when it does not need to flash. This has been
>> a problem in the past with DVD players, where the player
>> may spin up a bit because the OS pinged it.
>>
>> Paul
>
> Ok thanks for the explanation, so it's nothing to bother about in a way
> that it may not be working as such, because it is.

There is a saying that you can not believe all that you read. With AI
powering up believing what you read on the screen need a good source of
salt.