"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum." -- Arthur C. Clarke

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?

SubjectAuthor
* Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?Nic
`* Re: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?stepore
 `* Re: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?Nic
  +* Re: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?Dan Purgert
  |`* Re: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?Nic
  | `* Re: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?Dan Purgert
  |  `- Re: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?Nic
  `* Re: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?stepore
   `- Re: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?Nic

1
Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?

<FMCTN.10$cji5.4@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8089&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8089

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.invalid (Nic)
Subject: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 18:16:05 -0400
 by: Nic - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 22:16 UTC

Node.js is a platform built on Chrome's JavaScript runtime for easily
building fast, scalable network applications. Node.js uses an
event-driven, non-blocking I/O model that makes it lightweight and
efficient, perfect for data-intensive real-time applications that run
across distributed devices.

Node.js is bundled with several useful libraries to handle server tasks:

System, Events, Standard I/O, Modules, Timers, Child Processes, POSIX,
HTTP, Multipart Parsing, TCP, DNS, Assert, Path, URL, Query Strings.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

--
Pity the fool who followed his GPS over the cliff

Re: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?

<uvn9ms$188or$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8090&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8090

From: step...@be.here.now (stepore)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 18:47:08 -0700
 by: stepore - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 01:47 UTC

On 4/16/24 15:16, Nic wrote:
> Node.js is a platform built on Chrome's JavaScript runtime for easily
> building fast, scalable network applications. Node.js uses an
> event-driven, non-blocking I/O model that makes it lightweight and
> efficient, perfect for data-intensive real-time applications that run
> across distributed devices.
>
> Node.js is bundled with several useful libraries to handle server tasks:
>
> System, Events, Standard I/O, Modules, Timers, Child Processes, POSIX,
> HTTP, Multipart Parsing, TCP, DNS, Assert, Path, URL, Query Strings.
>
> Is this something I should be concerned about?

Concerned about what? Ask a better question.

Re: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?

<imOTN.4191$59Pb.2040@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8091&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8091

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.invalid (Nic)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 07:27:10 -0400
 by: Nic - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:27 UTC

On 4/16/24 9:47 PM, stepore wrote:
> On 4/16/24 15:16, Nic wrote:
>> Node.js is a platform built on Chrome's JavaScript runtime for easily
>> building fast, scalable network applications. Node.js uses an
>> event-driven, non-blocking I/O model that makes it lightweight and
>> efficient, perfect for data-intensive real-time applications that run
>> across distributed devices.
>>
>> Node.js is bundled with several useful libraries to handle server tasks:
>>
>> System, Events, Standard I/O, Modules, Timers, Child Processes, POSIX,
>> HTTP, Multipart Parsing, TCP, DNS, Assert, Path, URL, Query Strings.
>>
>> Is this something I should be concerned about?
>

> Concerned about what? Ask a better question.

My question is: since I don't use this particular software, should I
ignore it or update it and contribute to Linux Mint Bloat?

Re: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?

<slrnv1vijg.nch.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8092&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8092

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:11:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:11 UTC

On 2024-04-17, Nic wrote:
> On 4/16/24 9:47 PM, stepore wrote:
>> On 4/16/24 15:16, Nic wrote:
>>> Node.js is a platform built on Chrome's JavaScript runtime for easily
>>> building fast, scalable network applications. Node.js uses an
>>> event-driven, non-blocking I/O model that makes it lightweight and
>>> efficient, perfect for data-intensive real-time applications that run
>>> across distributed devices.
>>>
>>> Node.js is bundled with several useful libraries to handle server tasks:
>>>
>>> System, Events, Standard I/O, Modules, Timers, Child Processes, POSIX,
>>> HTTP, Multipart Parsing, TCP, DNS, Assert, Path, URL, Query Strings.
>>>
>>> Is this something I should be concerned about?
>>

>> Concerned about what? Ask a better question.
>>
> My question is: since I don't use this particular software, should I
> ignore it or update it and contribute to Linux Mint Bloat?

You obviously do (or did), since node is not a default-installed package
in LM.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?

<tfRTN.203$QhQd.187@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8093&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8093

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.invalid (Nic)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 10:44:41 -0400
 by: Nic - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:44 UTC

On 4/17/24 9:11 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
> On 2024-04-17, Nic wrote:

>>> Concerned about what? Ask a better question.
>>>
>> My question is: since I don't use this particular software, should I
>> ignore it or update it and contribute to Linux Mint Bloat?
> You obviously do (or did), since node is not a default-installed package
> in LM.

Thank you I will update.. Is there a list of default installed software
for LM 20.3?

Re: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?

<slrnv204f2.nch.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8094&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8094

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:16:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:16 UTC

On 2024-04-17, Nic wrote:
> On 4/17/24 9:11 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:

>>> My question is: since I don't use this particular software, should I
>>> ignore it or update it and contribute to Linux Mint Bloat?
>> You obviously do (or did), since node is not a default-installed package
>> in LM.
>>

> Thank you I will update.. Is there a list of default installed software
> for LM 20.3?

/var/log/installer/initial-status.gz should have that list.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?

<ZxUTN.941$9pR2.442@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8095&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8095

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.invalid (Nic)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:29:13 -0400
 by: Nic - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:29 UTC

On 4/17/24 2:16 PM, Dan Purgert wrote:
> On 2024-04-17, Nic wrote:

>>> You obviously do (or did), since node is not a default-installed package
>>> in LM.
>>>

>> Thank you I will update.. Is there a list of default installed software
>> for LM 20.3?
> /var/log/installer/initial-status.gz should have that list.

I have up to /logĀ  no /installer

Re: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?

<uvpu1j$2144c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8096&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8096

From: step...@be.here.now (stepore)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:46:26 -0700
 by: stepore - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 01:46 UTC

On 4/17/24 04:27, Nic wrote:
> My question is: since I don't use this particular software, should I
> ignore it or update it and contribute to Linux Mint Bloat?

Patch (update) _everything!_ you have installed.
If you don't need software; remove it! No sense having things installed
you don't use.
Minimize attack vectors.

Node.js is used for javascript development. If you're not a javascript
developer, not sure why it's installed.

Re: Node.js is in my software update manager, do I need to update?

<ol5UN.11615$zWO8.5386@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8098&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8098

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.invalid (Nic)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 05:03:16 -0400
 by: Nic - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:03 UTC

On 4/17/24 9:46 PM, stepore wrote:
> On 4/17/24 04:27, Nic wrote:
>> My question is: since I don't use this particular software, should I
>> ignore it or update it and contribute to Linux Mint Bloat?
>
> Patch (update) _everything!_ you have installed.
> If you don't need software; remove it! No sense having things
> installed you don't use.
> Minimize attack vectors.
>
> Node.js is used for javascript development. If you're not a javascript
> developer, not sure why it's installed.
That was my thinking originally. I updated. With each update I cringe
and wonder if it will be this or that update that will break something I
really need and use.