VMS is like a nightmare about RXS-11M.

computers / alt.windows7.general / .url files

SubjectAuthor
* .url filesJ. P. Gilliver
+* Re: .url filesR.Wieser
|`* Re: .url filesJ. P. Gilliver
| `- Re: .url filesR.Wieser
+* Re: .url filesJava Jive
|`* Re: .url filesJ. P. Gilliver
| `- Re: .url filesJava Jive
+* Re: .url filesReinhard Skarbal
|`* Re: .url filesJ. P. Gilliver
| `* Re: .url filesReinhard Skarbal
|  `* Re: .url filesJ. P. Gilliver
|   `- Re: .url filesgfretwell
+- Re: .url filesVanguardLH
+* Re: .url filesPaul
|+- Re: .url filesJ. P. Gilliver
|`* Re: .url filesJava Jive
| +- Re: .url filesPaul
| `- Re: .url filesJava Jive
`* Re: .url filesZaidy036
 `* Re: .url filesgfretwell
  `- Re: .url filesJ. P. Gilliver

1
.url files

<HU0Pk4w487EmFwy6@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8097&group=alt.windows7.general#8097

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 10:56:08 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: .url files
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 09:56 UTC

Occasionally, I want to store a URL - say, next to something I've
downloaded, so I remember where I got it from, but not as a bookmark in
a browser.

I'm sure in the past (XP maybe?) I did this by creating a .txt file, and
pasting the URL into it, then renaming it from .txt to .url; but now,
that creates a file which, if clicked on, gives an error box saying

The target "" of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the
Internet Shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is
correct.

(Of course, I cannot find the "Internet Shortcut property sheet"; if I
right-click and select Properties, the General tab does indeed say it is
an "Internet Shortcut (.URL)" file, but nowhere can I find the URL to
edit it.)

Having renamed it from .txt to .URL, also, the extension (I have show
extensions turned on, of course) disappears, so can't easily be turned
back - it's obviously one of those filetypes, like .lnk, that doesn't
show the extension even if you have show extensions on. (I can do it, by
using DOS-type commands.) I also can't open it with Notepad - the "Open
with" option isn't there.

I finally got my head together, and my body fell apart.

Re: .url files

<uv0ke7$3fc10$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8098&group=alt.windows7.general#8098

From: addr...@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: .url files
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 13:28:49 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 11:28 UTC

J. P. ,

> Occasionally, I want to store a URL - say, next to something I've
> downloaded, so I remember where I got it from, but not as a bookmark
> in a browser.
[snip]

I see a problem description, but no question ...

If the above is your "this is what I want" (and not eding a .URL file) than
possibly just dragging the URL from the browser to the desktop/a folder will
automatically create the .URL shortcut for you - at least, that is what I do
using FireFox.

> I'm sure in the past (XP maybe?) I did this by creating a .txt file,
> and pasting the URL into it, then renaming it from .txt to .url;

You could try to drag a bookmark from your internet browser onto the desktop
and than open it with a text-editor. When I look into such a file (using
"open with") I see this :

[InternetShortcut]
URL=https://...

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: .url files

<uv0lpt$3fne8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8099&group=alt.windows7.general#8099

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 12:52:28 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 11:52 UTC

On 08/04/2024 10:56, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> Occasionally, I want to store a URL - say, next to something I've
> downloaded, so I remember where I got it from, but not as a bookmark in
> a browser.
>
> I'm sure in the past (XP maybe?) I did this by creating a .txt file, and
> pasting the URL into it, then renaming it from .txt to .url; but now,
> that creates a file which, if clicked on, gives an error box saying
>
> The target "" of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the
> Internet Shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is
> correct.
>
> (Of course, I cannot find the "Internet Shortcut property sheet"; if I
> right-click and select Properties, the General tab does indeed say it is
> an "Internet Shortcut (.URL)" file, but nowhere can I find the URL to
> edit it.)
>
> Having renamed it from .txt to .URL, also, the extension (I have show
> extensions turned on, of course) disappears, so can't easily be turned
> back - it's obviously one of those filetypes, like .lnk, that doesn't
> show the extension even if you have show extensions on. (I can do it, by
> using DOS-type commands.) I also can't open it with Notepad - the "Open
> with" option isn't there.

*.url files were and AFAIAA still are IE bookmarks. If you look in your
IE Favourites folder you should find examples there. They have a format
such as the following:

[DEFAULT]
BASEURL=https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/product-support/product/precision-m6700/overview
[InternetShortcut]
URL=https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/product-support/product/precision-m6700/overview

To make one, what I usually do is take an existing one, copy and rename
it, and then edit the two URLs in it to point to a new location, that is
how the above example was made a few days ago when one of my old laptops
died and I replaced it with a new model. However, so deep is (Internet)
Explorer's infestation of (Windows) Explorer and vice versa, that you
may have to reboot or perhaps just log out, or else wait a very long
time until (Windows) Explorer 'forgets' the old location pointed to by
the file and allows you to go to the new one. What I mean is that, for
some indeterminate length of time after you have edited the file,
<double-click>ing it still takes you to the original location, not the
new one, which is just plain absurd.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: .url files

<MPG.407e246f5108253b98968a@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8100&group=alt.windows7.general#8100

From: reinhard...@aon.at (Reinhard Skarbal)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:58:25 +0200
 by: Reinhard Skarbal - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:58 UTC

In article <HU0Pk4w487EmFwy6@255soft.uk>, G6JPG@255soft.uk
says...

> Occasionally, I want to store a URL - say, next to something I've
> downloaded, so I remember where I got it from, but not as a bookmark in
> a browser.
>
> I'm sure in the past (XP maybe?) I did this by creating a .txt file, and
> pasting the URL into it, then renaming it from .txt to .url; but now,
> that creates a file which, if clicked on, gives an error box saying
>
> The target "" of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the
> Internet Shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is
> correct.
>
> (Of course, I cannot find the "Internet Shortcut property sheet"; if I
> right-click and select Properties, the General tab does indeed say it is
> an "Internet Shortcut (.URL)" file, but nowhere can I find the URL to
> edit it.)
>
> Having renamed it from .txt to .URL, also, the extension (I have show
> extensions turned on, of course) disappears, so can't easily be turned
> back - it's obviously one of those filetypes, like .lnk, that doesn't
> show the extension even if you have show extensions on. (I can do it, by
> using DOS-type commands.) I also can't open it with Notepad - the "Open
> with" option isn't there.

Hi !
Windows-11 can do it. I thing windows-7 will it do
similar.
Right Click
New
Link
Write the location like www.somewhere.com
Next
Windows will ask "New internet connection" or something
else.

My Windows is in german, so i'm not sure.

And maybe : make a file "my-new-internet-link.url" and put
"www.somewhere.com" in.
(Or was this on vax-vms ?)

Regards
Reinhard

Re: .url files

<zu7iavxAdBFmFw$C@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8101&group=alt.windows7.general#8101

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:11:44 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:11 UTC

In message <MPG.407e246f5108253b98968a@news.eternal-september.org> at
Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:58:25, Reinhard Skarbal <reinhard.skarbal@aon.at>
writes
[]
>Windows-11 can do it. I thing windows-7 will it do
>similar.
>Right Click
>New
>Link

Unfortunately, right-click | New gives me quite a long list of things I
can create - including Contact, Journal Document, and Briefcase, none of
which I've ever used - but Link is not one of them )-:.
[]
>My Windows is in german, so i'm not sure.

I don't think it's that.

>And maybe : make a file "my-new-internet-link.url" and put
>"www.somewhere.com" in.

That's what I tried - making a .txt file, putting the URL in it, then
renaming it. But apparently I need something in [] first.

>(Or was this on vax-vms ?)

I haven't used a VAX for a long time! (At the other end of B block in
Marconi Research Centre, using a BBC model B as a terminal - happy
days!)

>Regards
>Reinhard

When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad - I'm better! (Mae West)

Re: .url files

<jexm2NzrlBFmFw+Z@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8102&group=alt.windows7.general#8102

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:20:59 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:20 UTC

In message <uv0ke7$3fc10$1@dont-email.me> at Mon, 8 Apr 2024 13:28:49,
R.Wieser <address@is.invalid> writes
>J. P. ,
>
>> Occasionally, I want to store a URL - say, next to something I've
>> downloaded, so I remember where I got it from, but not as a bookmark
>> in a browser.
>[snip]
>
>I see a problem description, but no question ...
>
>If the above is your "this is what I want" (and not eding a .URL file) than

Both!

>possibly just dragging the URL from the browser to the desktop/a folder will
>automatically create the .URL shortcut for you - at least, that is what I do
>using FireFox.

Ingenious. I hadn't thought of dragging a bookmark outside the browser.
[]
>You could try to drag a bookmark from your internet browser onto the desktop
>and than open it with a text-editor. When I look into such a file (using

Admittedly I haven't tried it from the desktop, but from another folder
where I'd created a .url file ...

>"open with") I see this :

.... the "open with" option wasn't available.

>[InternetShortcut]
>URL=https://...
>
>Hope that helps.
>
>Regards,
>Rudy Wieser

Hmm. I've just tried adding the

[InternetShortcut]
URL=

to my file, and I'm still getting 'The target "" of this Internet
Shortcut ...". Maybe it needs the double entry of a URL Java Jive
suggests.

When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad - I'm better! (Mae West)

Re: .url files

<hg9w3x6eltaa.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8103&group=alt.windows7.general#8103

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 11:49:48 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:49 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> Occasionally, I want to store a URL - say, next to something I've
> downloaded, so I remember where I got it from, but not as a bookmark in
> a browser.
>
> I'm sure in the past (XP maybe?) I did this by creating a .txt file, and
> pasting the URL into it, then renaming it from .txt to .url; but now,
> that creates a file which, if clicked on, gives an error box saying
>
> The target "" of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the
> Internet Shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is
> correct.
>
> (Of course, I cannot find the "Internet Shortcut property sheet"; if I
> right-click and select Properties, the General tab does indeed say it is
> an "Internet Shortcut (.URL)" file, but nowhere can I find the URL to
> edit it.)
>
> Having renamed it from .txt to .URL, also, the extension (I have show
> extensions turned on, of course) disappears, so can't easily be turned
> back - it's obviously one of those filetypes, like .lnk, that doesn't
> show the extension even if you have show extensions on. (I can do it, by
> using DOS-type commands.) I also can't open it with Notepad - the "Open
> with" option isn't there.

I have a Downloads folder. Under it are subfolders to group by
category, and under there to group by vendor, product, or some
identifier. Under that last subfolder is where I download a file, like
a driver or software. In that same folder, I save the URL from the web
browser (by dragging it from the web browser's address bar into the
folder). That keeps the downloaded file and a URL together. I later
know from where I got the download. I might have other URLs in the same
folder, like for an online manual, specifications, support, etc.

I use folders to group related stuff. That's the point of folders aka
directories.

Re: .url files

<uv178a$3k6j7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8104&group=alt.windows7.general#8104

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 12:50:16 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:50 UTC

On 4/8/2024 5:56 AM, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> Occasionally, I want to store a URL - say, next to something I've
> downloaded, so I remember where I got it from, but not as a bookmark in
> a browser.
>
> I'm sure in the past (XP maybe?) I did this by creating a .txt file, and
> pasting the URL into it, then renaming it from .txt to .url; but now,
> that creates a file which, if clicked on, gives an error box saying
>
> The target "" of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the
> Internet Shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is
> correct.
>
> (Of course, I cannot find the "Internet Shortcut property sheet"; if I
> right-click and select Properties, the General tab does indeed say it is
> an "Internet Shortcut (.URL)" file, but nowhere can I find the URL to
> edit it.)
>
> Having renamed it from .txt to .URL, also, the extension (I have show
> extensions turned on, of course) disappears, so can't easily be turned
> back - it's obviously one of those filetypes, like .lnk, that doesn't
> show the extension even if you have show extensions on. (I can do it, by
> using DOS-type commands.) I also can't open it with Notepad - the "Open
> with" option isn't there.

There's a little icon on the left hand side of the URL bar.
Drag that icon onto the desktop. The file in the desktop should
have an Internet Shortcut Property Sheet. You can tell I use
this a lot, cause I had to look it up :-) I just toss all my
bookmarks in Bookmarks, and do my usual random access thing
with them. Everything here is random access (keyword based).

https://www.webopedia.com/reference/create-website-shortcut-on-desktop/

Even if the value of the URL stored immediately in that file
is not correct, you can copy-pasta the URL from the real location
you wanted to archive and put it in there.

Or, edit it with your text editor.

Even when you have file extensions turned on, you can't see the .URL part.

how-to-URL.URL

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/63CGgHfL/how-to-URL.gif

My example seems to be a little short of 256 bytes, which means
at storage time, it fits in the $MFT 1024 byte slot, rather
than wasting a cluster (4K) of storage.

File 3464

\Users\username\Desktop\how-to-URL.URL
$STANDARD_INFORMATION (resident)
$FILE_NAME (resident)
$FILE_NAME (resident)
$DATA (resident)

Don't seem to be any alternate streams in there.
If you use streams64.exe from Sysinternals, on something
with an alternate stream, it looks like this.

D:\>streams64.exe libcs50-10.1.1.zip

streams v1.60 - Reveal NTFS alternate streams.
Copyright (C) 2005-2016 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

D:\libcs50-10.1.1.zip:
:Zone.Identifier:$DATA 26

The file entry for a file with an alternate stream, looks like this.
Two $DATA. Storing metadata for a file, in a separate handle like
this, is not very convenient on Windows. That's why the scheme is
hardly used. Only the "downloader" logic uses it (stamp files as "poison"
because they came from Teh Internetz -- Zones are an Internet Explorer
concept, the five security zones). You have to look up how to make
a filename for that 26 byte part, if you want to look at it :-)
Because I can never remember how to do this when I need to.

File 45
\libcs50-10.1.1.zip
$STANDARD_INFORMATION (resident)
$FILE_NAME (resident)
$DATA (nonresident)
logical sectors 492064-492103 (0x78220-0x78247)
$DATA Zone.Identifier (resident)

notepad libcs50-10.1.1.zip:Zone.Identifier:$DATA

And that shows the 26 byte contents as:

[ZoneTransfer]
ZoneId=3 <=== Zone 3 of five possible zones

But your .URL thingy (which might be different internally on
Windows 7), it's a pretty plain file, all things considered.

Paul

Re: .url files

<MPG.407e3f1eac259e4e98968b@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8105&group=alt.windows7.general#8105

From: reinhard...@aon.at (Reinhard Skarbal)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 18:52:03 +0200
 by: Reinhard Skarbal - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:52 UTC

In article <zu7iavxAdBFmFw$C@255soft.uk>, G6JPG@255soft.uk
says...

> In message <MPG.407e246f5108253b98968a@news.eternal-september.org> at
> Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:58:25, Reinhard Skarbal <reinhard.skarbal@aon.at>
> writes
> []
> >Windows-11 can do it. I thing windows-7 will it do
> >similar.
> >Right Click
> >New
> >Link
>
> Unfortunately, right-click | New gives me quite a long list of things I
> can create - including Contact, Journal Document, and Briefcase, none of
> which I've ever used - but Link is not one of them )-:.
> []
> >My Windows is in german, so i'm not sure.
>
> I don't think it's that.
> >
> >And maybe : make a file "my-new-internet-link.url" and put
> >"www.somewhere.com" in.
>
> That's what I tried - making a .txt file, putting the URL in it, then
> renaming it. But apparently I need something in [] first.
>
> >(Or was this on vax-vms ?)
>
> I haven't used a VAX for a long time! (At the other end of B block in
> Marconi Research Centre, using a BBC model B as a terminal - happy
> days!)
> >
> >Regards
> >Reinhard

Hi

I took my old Dell Inspiron 1501 with Windows 7
Professional (in german) out of the cellar to check the
InternetShortcut-creation-problem.

right click (on an empty place of the desktop, or a
folder)
=> popup-window
selected "Neu"
=> popup-window
(second line) selected "Verknuepfung"
I put "http://www.heise.de" into this new file.
pressing "Weiter"
Inserted an name for the link "HEISE"
pressing "Fertig stellen"
=> and it was done.

Now I looked into this new InternetShortcut "HEISE" with
an editor :

[{000214A0-0000-0000-C000000000000046}]
Prop3=19,2
[InternetShortcut]
URL=http:www.heise.de
IDList=

A new text-file with those lines dosn't work.
I think I have to use an Hex-Editor to find the trick.
And maybee it has to be a special file, because the icon
of the file differs.

Maybe you have a windows-home-version with reduced
functions ?

Regards Reinhard

Re: .url files

<Bva+Kr0E+BFmFwYt@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8106&group=alt.windows7.general#8106

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:47:00 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:47 UTC

In message <uv0lpt$3fne8$1@dont-email.me> at Mon, 8 Apr 2024 12:52:28,
Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> writes
[]
>*.url files were and AFAIAA still are IE bookmarks. If you look in
>your IE Favourites folder you should find examples there. They have a
>format such as the following:
>
>[DEFAULT]
>BASEURL=https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/product-support/product/
>precision-m6700/overview
>[InternetShortcut]
>URL=https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/product-support/product/prec
>ision-m6700/overview

Well, I tried

[DEFAULT]
BASEURL=https://crosswords-static.guim.co.uk/obs.everyman.20240407.pdf
[InternetShortcut]
URL=https://crosswords-static.guim.co.uk/obs.everyman.20240407.pdf

and still got 'The target "" of this ...'.

>To make one, what I usually do is take an existing one, copy and rename
>it, and then edit the two URLs in it to point to a new location, that
>is how the above example was made a few days ago when one of my old
>laptops died and I replaced it with a new model. However, so deep is
>(Internet) Explorer's infestation of (Windows) Explorer and vice versa,
>that you may have to reboot or perhaps just log out, or else wait a
>very long time until (Windows) Explorer 'forgets' the old location
>pointed to by the file and allows you to go to the new one. What I
>mean is that, for some indeterminate length of time after you have
>edited the file, <double-click>ing it still takes you to the original
>location, not the new one, which is just plain absurd.

When I finally found a favorites folder that both wasn't empty and I
could actually access, I copied a .url file from it to the folder I'd
been trying in. Although it is also a .url file, it shows up (that
folder is currently set to "Large Icons") as a different icon. The one
I'd created by renaming a .txt file shows as a world globe on a clear
background; the copied one shows as a Firefox symbol on a dark blue
sheet. (Maybe the globe is the IE logo.) Double-clicking on _that_ one
opened Firefox. Looking inside it, I see

[{000214A0-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
Prop3=19,2
[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=121315
IDList=
[MonitoredItem]
FeedUrl=http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=121315
IsLivePreview=true

!

This sounds like far too much work! I didn't actually _want_ shortcuts
(though it'd have been handy if they'd worked), I just wanted to store a
URL, and it seemed logical to call the file .URL, since I'd seen that
type existed. I'll just make a text file! (Maybe with URL in the
filename.)

When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad - I'm better! (Mae West)

Re: .url files

<uv17vi$3kct4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8107&group=alt.windows7.general#8107

From: addr...@is.invalid (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 19:02:29 +0200
 by: R.Wieser - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:02 UTC

J. P. ,

> Admittedly I haven't tried it from the desktop, but from another folder
> where I'd created a .url file ...
>
>>"open with") I see this :
>
> ... the "open with" option wasn't available.

In that case, open a basic flat-text editor - notepad? - and see what
happens when you drop the .URL file ontop of it. On XP notepad opens the
file as if it contains text, and shows the contents I posted.

Ofcourse, using, from the commandline "notepad file.url" should work too.

After that, do it again, but now with a shortcut FireFox itself created, and
see if you can spot any differences.

> to my file, and I'm still getting 'The target "" of this Internet Shortcut
> ...".

There is a slight possibility that the registry-entry for te .URL shortcut
got damaged.

Create a drag-and-drop .URL link try to open it by double-clicking. Also
try to drag-and-drop it onto your internet browser itself. If the latter
works but the former fails than the registry might be to blame.

Do the same with an .URL file you created yourself. If it fails the same
way (former fails, latter works) it (again) indicates its not the file that
is the problem.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: .url files

<uv194n$3kabm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8108&group=alt.windows7.general#8108

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 13:22:31 -0400
 by: Zaidy036 - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:22 UTC

On 4/8/2024 5:56 AM, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> Occasionally, I want to store a URL - say, next to something I've
> downloaded, so I remember where I got it from, but not as a bookmark in
> a browser.
>
> I'm sure in the past (XP maybe?) I did this by creating a .txt file, and
> pasting the URL into it, then renaming it from .txt to .url; but now,
> that creates a file which, if clicked on, gives an error box saying
>
> The target "" of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the
> Internet Shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is
> correct.
>
> (Of course, I cannot find the "Internet Shortcut property sheet"; if I
> right-click and select Properties, the General tab does indeed say it is
> an "Internet Shortcut (.URL)" file, but nowhere can I find the URL to
> edit it.)
>
> Having renamed it from .txt to .URL, also, the extension (I have show
> extensions turned on, of course) disappears, so can't easily be turned
> back - it's obviously one of those filetypes, like .lnk, that doesn't
> show the extension even if you have show extensions on. (I can do it, by
> using DOS-type commands.) I also can't open it with Notepad - the "Open
> with" option isn't there.

Win 10 Pro

Drag FireFox URL to desktop makes a clickable icon which opens URL in FF.
Make a new folder "AnyTitle" and place your downloaded icon in the folder.

Re: .url files

<pod81jdkcjirt5rv1u1ae8704sfda1hr4t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8109&group=alt.windows7.general#8109

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 14:28:22 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 18:28 UTC

On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 13:22:31 -0400, Zaidy036 <Zaidy036@air.isp.spam>
wrote:

>On 4/8/2024 5:56 AM, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> Occasionally, I want to store a URL - say, next to something I've
>> downloaded, so I remember where I got it from, but not as a bookmark in
>> a browser.
>>
>> I'm sure in the past (XP maybe?) I did this by creating a .txt file, and
>> pasting the URL into it, then renaming it from .txt to .url; but now,
>> that creates a file which, if clicked on, gives an error box saying
>>
>> The target "" of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the
>> Internet Shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is
>> correct.
>>
>> (Of course, I cannot find the "Internet Shortcut property sheet"; if I
>> right-click and select Properties, the General tab does indeed say it is
>> an "Internet Shortcut (.URL)" file, but nowhere can I find the URL to
>> edit it.)
>>
>> Having renamed it from .txt to .URL, also, the extension (I have show
>> extensions turned on, of course) disappears, so can't easily be turned
>> back - it's obviously one of those filetypes, like .lnk, that doesn't
>> show the extension even if you have show extensions on. (I can do it, by
>> using DOS-type commands.) I also can't open it with Notepad - the "Open
>> with" option isn't there.
>
>Win 10 Pro
>
>Drag FireFox URL to desktop makes a clickable icon which opens URL in FF.
>Make a new folder "AnyTitle" and place your downloaded icon in the folder.

That is how I do it, then drag that Icon wherever you want it

Re: .url files

<uv1dnt$3lnet$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8110&group=alt.windows7.general#8110

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 19:41:02 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 18:41 UTC

On 08/04/2024 17:47, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> [DEFAULT]
> BASEURL=https://crosswords-static.guim.co.uk/obs.everyman.20240407.pdf
> [InternetShortcut]
> URL=https://crosswords-static.guim.co.uk/obs.everyman.20240407.pdf

Works for me.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: .url files

<shEVp438nPFmFwd4@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8111&group=alt.windows7.general#8111

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:19:08 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 08:19 UTC

In message <MPG.407e3f1eac259e4e98968b@news.eternal-september.org> at
Mon, 8 Apr 2024 18:52:03, Reinhard Skarbal <reinhard.skarbal@aon.at>
writes
[]
>I took my old Dell Inspiron 1501 with Windows 7
>Professional (in german) out of the cellar to check the
>InternetShortcut-creation-problem.

I have 7-32 Home Premium

>right click (on an empty place of the desktop, or a
>folder)
> => popup-window
> selected "Neu"

Right-clicking in a folder, selecting New

> => popup-window
> (second line) selected "Verknuepfung"

Select Shortcut

> I put "http://www.heise.de" into this new file.

https://crosswords-static.guim.co.uk/obs.everyman.20240407.pdf

> pressing "Weiter"

Next

> Inserted an name for the link "HEISE"
> pressing "Fertig stellen"

Finish

> => and it was done.

It was indeed!

I think my problem was I was blind to "Shortcut" being there. I don't
know why I didn't see it: maybe I was looking for "Link". Or, I assumed
"Shortcut" was for files. I think it was your "(second line)" that
helped me see it!

>Now I looked into this new InternetShortcut "HEISE" with
>an editor :
>
>[{000214A0-0000-0000-C000000000000046}]
>Prop3=19,2
>[InternetShortcut]
>URL=http:www.heise.de
>IDList=

I get the same (different URL, obviously), except:
• there's an extra "-" after C000
• I have Prop3=19,11

>A new text-file with those lines dosn't work.
>I think I have to use an Hex-Editor to find the trick.

I can't see anything special in it with a hex-viewer!

>And maybee it has to be a special file, because the icon
>of the file differs.

Indeed!

>Maybe you have a windows-home-version with reduced
>functions ?
>
>Regards Reinhard

No, I think it was just that I didn't see the "Shortcut" in the "New"
menu, or assumed it was for something else!

Thanks.

Now, just to _remember_ that's what I should use, as I don't often make
this sort of file!

If something works, thank an engineer. (Reported seen on a bumper sticker.)

Re: .url files

<rSwklJ6v8PFmFw$I@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8112&group=alt.windows7.general#8112

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:41:19 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 08:41 UTC

In message <pod81jdkcjirt5rv1u1ae8704sfda1hr4t@4ax.com> at Mon, 8 Apr
2024 14:28:22, gfretwell@aol.com writes
>On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 13:22:31 -0400, Zaidy036 <Zaidy036@air.isp.spam>
>wrote:
[]
>>Drag FireFox URL to desktop makes a clickable icon which opens URL in FF.
>>Make a new folder "AnyTitle" and place your downloaded icon in the folder.
>
>That is how I do it, then drag that Icon wherever you want it

I see now - I was wondering how to "Drag ... URL". I see now the
"handle" for the URL is the symbol to the left of it (such as the
padlock symbol in Chrome).

If something works, thank an engineer. (Reported seen on a bumper sticker.)

Re: .url files

<UCOrBu5W6PFmFw44@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8113&group=alt.windows7.general#8113

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:38:46 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 08:38 UTC

In message <uv178a$3k6j7$1@dont-email.me> at Mon, 8 Apr 2024 12:50:16,
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> writes
[]
>There's a little icon on the left hand side of the URL bar.
>Drag that icon onto the desktop. The file in the desktop should

Ah - the padlock (in Chrome)! I never thought of using that as a handle;
I thought it was just for information. I had been wondering how to "drag
the URL from the browser" as others have said, because if I just tried
from within it, it just highlights it or part of it.

>have an Internet Shortcut Property Sheet. You can tell I use

Yes, the file I made earlier under Reinhard's guidance has an extra tab
when I select "Properties", "Web Document", where I could indeed edit
the URL if I'd wanted. (I see I could even give it a shortcut key or
change the icon!)
[]
>Even if the value of the URL stored immediately in that file
>is not correct, you can copy-pasta the URL from the real location

You're making me hungry (-:

>you wanted to archive and put it in there.
>
>Or, edit it with your text editor.

I can't "Send To" or "Open With", but I just tried opening Notepad first
and dragging it to, and it seemed to open. But using Properties is
easier, and will probably do any extra magic needed too.

>Even when you have file extensions turned on, you can't see the .URL part.

Yes, it's one of those ultra-special extensions, like .lnk .
[]
>My example seems to be a little short of 256 bytes, which means
>at storage time, it fits in the $MFT 1024 byte slot, rather
>than wasting a cluster (4K) of storage.

Mine's 152 bytes.

>File 3464
>
>\Users\username\Desktop\how-to-URL.URL
> $STANDARD_INFORMATION (resident)
> $FILE_NAME (resident)
> $FILE_NAME (resident)
> $DATA (resident)
>
>Don't seem to be any alternate streams in there.
>If you use streams64.exe from Sysinternals, on something
>with an alternate stream, it looks like this.
>
>D:\>streams64.exe libcs50-10.1.1.zip
>
>streams v1.60 - Reveal NTFS alternate streams.
>Copyright (C) 2005-2016 Mark Russinovich
>Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com
>
>D:\libcs50-10.1.1.zip:
> :Zone.Identifier:$DATA 26

I just got

C:\utilitie.s\NirSoft\SysInter.nls>streams D:\images\Xwords\obseve~1.url

streams v1.60 - Reveal NTFS alternate streams.
Copyright (C) 2005-2016 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

C:\utilitie.s\NirSoft\SysInter.nls>

i. e. it didn't seem to show anything at all.

>The file entry for a file with an alternate stream, looks like this.
>Two $DATA. Storing metadata for a file, in a separate handle like
>this, is not very convenient on Windows. That's why the scheme is
>hardly used. Only the "downloader" logic uses it (stamp files as "poison"
>because they came from Teh Internetz -- Zones are an Internet Explorer
>concept, the five security zones). You have to look up how to make

Ah, I'd occasionally wondered how it knew!
[]
>But your .URL thingy (which might be different internally on
>Windows 7), it's a pretty plain file, all things considered.
>
> Paul

Yes, it seems to be.

John

If something works, thank an engineer. (Reported seen on a bumper sticker.)

Re: .url files

<edsb1jd2icrd06r0014qf2aqc6968t1rlj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8115&group=alt.windows7.general#8115

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 21:57:42 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 01:57 UTC

On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:19:08 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
wrote:

>In message <MPG.407e3f1eac259e4e98968b@news.eternal-september.org> at
>Mon, 8 Apr 2024 18:52:03, Reinhard Skarbal <reinhard.skarbal@aon.at>
>writes
>[]
>>I took my old Dell Inspiron 1501 with Windows 7
>>Professional (in german) out of the cellar to check the
>>InternetShortcut-creation-problem.
>
>I have 7-32 Home Premium
>>
>>right click (on an empty place of the desktop, or a
>>folder)
>> => popup-window
>> selected "Neu"
>
>Right-clicking in a folder, selecting New
>
>> => popup-window
>> (second line) selected "Verknuepfung"
>
>Select Shortcut
>
>> I put "http://www.heise.de" into this new file.
>
>https://crosswords-static.guim.co.uk/obs.everyman.20240407.pdf
>
>> pressing "Weiter"
>
>Next
>
>> Inserted an name for the link "HEISE"
>> pressing "Fertig stellen"
>
>Finish
>
>> => and it was done.
>
>It was indeed!
>
>I think my problem was I was blind to "Shortcut" being there. I don't
>know why I didn't see it: maybe I was looking for "Link". Or, I assumed
>"Shortcut" was for files. I think it was your "(second line)" that
>helped me see it!
>>
>>Now I looked into this new InternetShortcut "HEISE" with
>>an editor :
>>
>>[{000214A0-0000-0000-C000000000000046}]
>>Prop3=19,2
>>[InternetShortcut]
>>URL=http:www.heise.de
>>IDList=
>
>I get the same (different URL, obviously), except:
>• there's an extra "-" after C000
>• I have Prop3=19,11
>>
>>A new text-file with those lines dosn't work.
>>I think I have to use an Hex-Editor to find the trick.
>
>I can't see anything special in it with a hex-viewer!
>
>>And maybee it has to be a special file, because the icon
>>of the file differs.
>>
>Indeed!
>>

>>Maybe you have a windows-home-version with reduced
>>functions ?
>>
>>Regards Reinhard
>
>No, I think it was just that I didn't see the "Shortcut" in the "New"
>menu, or assumed it was for something else!
>
>Thanks.
>
>Now, just to _remember_ that's what I should use, as I don't often make
>this sort of file!

W/7 here to and the other guy is right. If you just light up the
browser url bar and drag it to the desktop, it creates a shortcut you
can drag somewhere else. Saves a few steps.

Re: .url files

<uve1fo$3198r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8131&group=alt.windows7.general#8131

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 14:31:34 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 13:31 UTC

On 08/04/2024 17:50, Paul wrote:
> On 4/8/2024 5:56 AM, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> Occasionally, I want to store a URL - say, next to something I've
>> downloaded, so I remember where I got it from, but not as a bookmark in
>> a browser.
>>
>> I'm sure in the past (XP maybe?) I did this by creating a .txt file, and
>> pasting the URL into it, then renaming it from .txt to .url; but now,
>> that creates a file which, if clicked on, gives an error box saying
>>
>> The target "" of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the
>> Internet Shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is
>> correct.
>>
>> (Of course, I cannot find the "Internet Shortcut property sheet"; if I
>> right-click and select Properties, the General tab does indeed say it is
>> an "Internet Shortcut (.URL)" file, but nowhere can I find the URL to
>> edit it.)
>>
>> Having renamed it from .txt to .URL, also, the extension (I have show
>> extensions turned on, of course) disappears, so can't easily be turned
>> back - it's obviously one of those filetypes, like .lnk, that doesn't
>> show the extension even if you have show extensions on. (I can do it, by
>> using DOS-type commands.) I also can't open it with Notepad - the "Open
>> with" option isn't there.
>>

> There's a little icon on the left hand side of the URL bar.
> Drag that icon onto the desktop. The file in the desktop should
> have an Internet Shortcut Property Sheet. You can tell I use
> this a lot, cause I had to look it up :-) I just toss all my
> bookmarks in Bookmarks, and do my usual random access thing
> with them. Everything here is random access (keyword based).
>
> https://www.webopedia.com/reference/create-website-shortcut-on-desktop/
>
> Even if the value of the URL stored immediately in that file
> is not correct, you can copy-pasta the URL from the real location
> you wanted to archive and put it in there.

I've just tried this for the first time, and it creates a different type
of shortcut, not a simple *.url file. It creates the internet
equivalent of a network shortcut, the type of shortcut you get by
clicking Add Network Place in the Network folder; viz: it creates a
sub-folder containing a single binary file, target.lnk, which, being
binary, cannot easily be edited, though if you're feeling brave you can
do so using Edit in binary mode, by giving it a command-line switch to
force wrapping at a particular column, I usually use /80. Obviously you
have to be careful not to change the size of the fields within it, so
mostly all you can do is achieve prettier capitalisation.

> Or, edit it with your text editor.

A *.url file, yes, a target.lnk file no, except as above.

So, for me just now it was back to hand-editing a pre-existing *.url
file as previously described.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: .url files

<uveb39$337p3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8133&group=alt.windows7.general#8133

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 12:15:36 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:15 UTC

On 4/13/2024 9:31 AM, Java Jive wrote:
> On 08/04/2024 17:50, Paul wrote:
>> On 4/8/2024 5:56 AM, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> Occasionally, I want to store a URL - say, next to something I've
>>> downloaded, so I remember where I got it from, but not as a bookmark in
>>> a browser.
>>>
>>> I'm sure in the past (XP maybe?) I did this by creating a .txt file, and
>>> pasting the URL into it, then renaming it from .txt to .url; but now,
>>> that creates a file which, if clicked on, gives an error box saying
>>>
>>>          The target "" of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the
>>>          Internet Shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is
>>>          correct.
>>>
>>> (Of course, I cannot find the "Internet Shortcut property sheet"; if I
>>> right-click and select Properties, the General tab does indeed say it is
>>> an "Internet Shortcut (.URL)" file, but nowhere can I find the URL to
>>> edit it.)
>>>
>>> Having renamed it from .txt to .URL, also, the extension (I have show
>>> extensions turned on, of course) disappears, so can't easily be turned
>>> back - it's obviously one of those filetypes, like .lnk, that doesn't
>>> show the extension even if you have show extensions on. (I can do it, by
>>> using DOS-type commands.) I also can't open it with Notepad - the "Open
>>> with" option isn't there.
>>>

>> There's a little icon on the left hand side of the URL bar.
>> Drag that icon onto the desktop. The file in the desktop should
>> have an Internet Shortcut Property Sheet. You can tell I use
>> this a lot, cause I had to look it up :-) I just toss all my
>> bookmarks in Bookmarks, and do my usual random access thing
>> with them. Everything here is random access (keyword based).
>>
>> https://www.webopedia.com/reference/create-website-shortcut-on-desktop/
>>
>> Even if the value of the URL stored immediately in that file
>> is not correct, you can copy-pasta the URL from the real location
>> you wanted to archive and put it in there.
>
> I've just tried this for the first time, and it creates a different type of shortcut, not a simple *.url file.  It creates the internet equivalent of a network shortcut, the type of shortcut you get by clicking Add Network Place in the Network folder; viz: it creates a sub-folder containing a single binary file, target.lnk, which, being binary, cannot easily be edited, though if you're feeling brave you can do so using Edit in binary mode, by giving it a command-line switch to force wrapping at a particular column, I usually use /80.  Obviously you have to be careful not to change the size of the fields within it, so mostly all you can do is achieve prettier capitalisation.
>
>> Or, edit it with your text editor.
>
> A *.url file, yes, a target.lnk file no, except as above.
>
> So, for me just now it was back to hand-editing a pre-existing *.url file as previously described.

I have a W7 x86 in the cooker right now, put a Firefox 115.9 ESR
in it, and the drag and drop would not work at all.

It turned out, when Microsoft shipped the VM (a download from modern.ie
at the time), they put the UAC slider down to the bottom setting. I moved
the UAC back to the top. This is likely caused by the Session number of
the running Firefox, and the desktop, not being the same. And Mozilla
claims all this is for "security", as if Firefox would launch elevated
(which it should not even remotely be trying to do).

"In the Windows 7 "System and Security" control panel category, the Action Center
lets you change User Account Control (UAC) settings. In the User Account Control
Settings dialog box, you move the slide bar control for notifications, and then
you click the OK button." [Requires a reboot to work]

With UAC re-engaged after the reboot, dragging and dropping the lock icon
onto the desktop, created a .URL file.

what was also strange, is on the first invocation of my test URL, the
lock icon DID NOT appear. On re-loading the icon, the lock icon appeared
and THEN I could drag and drop it.

[Picture] Just showing evidence it did make a .URL file
Not attempting to show the browser window that did it

https://i.postimg.cc/SsWyRvXr/win7-firefox-dnd-URL-file.gif

It's like flying a 747. Practice makes perfect.

The other test I did, didn't cause grief like this.

Paul

Re: .url files

<uveghr$34air$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8135&group=alt.windows7.general#8135

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 18:48:43 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:48 UTC

On 13/04/2024 14:31, Java Jive wrote:
> On 08/04/2024 17:50, Paul wrote:
>> On 4/8/2024 5:56 AM, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> Occasionally, I want to store a URL - say, next to something I've
>>> downloaded, so I remember where I got it from, but not as a bookmark in
>>> a browser.
>>>
>>> I'm sure in the past (XP maybe?) I did this by creating a .txt file, and
>>> pasting the URL into it, then renaming it from .txt to .url; but now,
>>> that creates a file which, if clicked on, gives an error box saying
>>>
>>>          The target "" of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the
>>>          Internet Shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is
>>>          correct.
>>>
>>> (Of course, I cannot find the "Internet Shortcut property sheet"; if I
>>> right-click and select Properties, the General tab does indeed say it is
>>> an "Internet Shortcut (.URL)" file, but nowhere can I find the URL to
>>> edit it.)
>>>
>>> Having renamed it from .txt to .URL, also, the extension (I have show
>>> extensions turned on, of course) disappears, so can't easily be turned
>>> back - it's obviously one of those filetypes, like .lnk, that doesn't
>>> show the extension even if you have show extensions on. (I can do it, by
>>> using DOS-type commands.) I also can't open it with Notepad - the "Open
>>> with" option isn't there.
>>>

>> There's a little icon on the left hand side of the URL bar.
>> Drag that icon onto the desktop. The file in the desktop should
>> have an Internet Shortcut Property Sheet. You can tell I use
>> this a lot, cause I had to look it up :-) I just toss all my
>> bookmarks in Bookmarks, and do my usual random access thing
>> with them. Everything here is random access (keyword based).
>>
>> https://www.webopedia.com/reference/create-website-shortcut-on-desktop/
>>
>> Even if the value of the URL stored immediately in that file
>> is not correct, you can copy-pasta the URL from the real location
>> you wanted to archive and put it in there.
>
> I've just tried this for the first time, and it creates a different type
> of shortcut, not a simple *.url file.  It creates the internet
> equivalent of a network shortcut, the type of shortcut you get by
> clicking Add Network Place in the Network folder; viz: it creates a
> sub-folder containing a single binary file, target.lnk,

.... actually two, additionally a Desktop.ini file which contains the
icon designation, etc ...