"They ought to make butt-flavored cat food." --Gallagher

computers / comp.periphs.printers / Re: What is hagaki paper?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: What is hagaki paper?Nico Allen
+* Re: What is hagaki paper?Andreas Kohlbach
|`* Re: What is hagaki paper?Jeff Jonas
| `- Re: What is hagaki paper?Andreas Kohlbach
`- Re: What is hagaki paper?Gernot Hassenpflug

1
Re: What is hagaki paper?

<e9defcee-a8cd-4833-8f2d-9f15231dff71n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=75&group=comp.periphs.printers#75

Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 10:24:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: What is hagaki paper?
From: nicoj.al...@gmail.com (Nico Allen)
 by: Nico Allen - Sat, 29 May 2021 17:24 UTC

On Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 9:24:34 AM UTC-5, Dot Net Developer wrote:
> Bought a new printer. One of the paper settings is Hagaki. What is
> this paper? What does it look like?
> Also, I have some paper that is (intentionally) not smooth. I think
> it may be called parchment paper, but I'm not sure about that. My new
> printer doesn't have this paper type option, but it has many others.
> Anyone recommend a paper setting for this type of paper?
> Thanks a lot, regards, dnw.

Wow, talk about time travel, its 2021 and I'm asking the same question.

I did a little research and as most of you said Hagaki is a Japanese paper type normally 4 by 4 inches.
"Hagaki" means post card in Japanese.

I was running some test prints and it seems to print really well on FELT PAPER, MATTE LINEN, COATED LINEN and even METALLIC PAPER.
I used a Canon Pixma TS9020 Inkjet Printer. I'm very impressed with this mode, I never used it till today however be careful when using the the Inkjet Hagaki K vs Hagaki A as one seems to spread the in more and the other gives just enough.

Nico

Re: What is hagaki paper?

<878s3xi7m0.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=76&group=comp.periphs.printers#76

From: ank...@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 16:54:15 -0400
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Sat, 29 May 2021 20:54 UTC

On Sat, 29 May 2021 10:24:57 -0700 (PDT), Nico Allen wrote:

> On Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 9:24:34 AM UTC-5, Dot Net Developer wrote:
>> Bought a new printer. One of the paper settings is Hagaki. What is
>> this paper? What does it look like?
>> Also, I have some paper that is (intentionally) not smooth. I think
>> it may be called parchment paper, but I'm not sure about that. My new
>> printer doesn't have this paper type option, but it has many others.
>> Anyone recommend a paper setting for this type of paper?
>> Thanks a lot, regards, dnw.
>
> Wow, talk about time travel, its 2021 and I'm asking the same question.

Google Groups rule even after 14 years.

A neighbor wanted me to print out some stuff and gave me some papers of
unknown size. Larger than DIN A4 or letter. The result was a page
displaying the output on top and leaving a lot of space below.
--
Andreas

PGP fingerprint 952B0A9F12C2FD6C9F7E68DAA9C2EA89D1A370E0

Re: What is hagaki paper?

<s9jj81$n31$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80&group=comp.periphs.printers#80

From: jef...@panix.com (Jeff Jonas)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 22:46:25 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Jeff Jonas - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 22:46 UTC

> A neighbor wanted me to print out some stuff
> and gave me some papers of unknown size.

Inkjet can probably handle it, with enough drying.

Laser printers require proper smooth finish
and electrical properties to attract the toner.
I know: a friend wanted to use some paper left over from a print job.
The toner just wiped off: never fused to the surface.

> Larger than DIN A4 or letter.
> The result was a page displaying the output on top
> and leaving a lot of space below.

That leads to really serious problems when scanning:
deleting the signature and bottom part!

--

Re: What is hagaki paper?

<87sg1u9r8n.fsf@usenet.ankman.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=81&group=comp.periphs.printers#81

From: ank...@spamfence.net (Andreas Kohlbach)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 01:30:00 -0400
 by: Andreas Kohlbach - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 05:30 UTC

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 22:46:25 +0000 (UTC), Jeff Jonas wrote:

>> A neighbor wanted me to print out some stuff
>> and gave me some papers of unknown size.
>
> Inkjet can probably handle it, with enough drying.

Yes it does. The printer would also be able to scale the content to the
whole page; if I only knew what format the paper is. The person I have
this from says he can't tell where he got it from...

Btw. the DIN format was adopted by now by all countries but the United
States and Canada (according to Wikipedia), and exists since almost 100
years (was described first in 1922).
--
Andreas

PGP fingerprint 952B0A9F12C2FD6C9F7E68DAA9C2EA89D1A370E0

Re: What is hagaki paper?

<yoltum10wul.fsf@asahi-net.or.jp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=82&group=comp.periphs.printers#82

From: gernot.h...@asahinet.com (Gernot Hassenpflug)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 15:44:02 +0900
Sender: ha4h-grnt@D1910009
 by: Gernot Hassenpflug - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 06:44 UTC

Nico Allen <nicoj.allen@gmail.com> writes:

> On Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 9:24:34 AM UTC-5, Dot Net Developer wrote:
>> Bought a new printer. One of the paper settings is Hagaki. What is
>> this paper? What does it look like?
>> Also, I have some paper that is (intentionally) not smooth. I think
>> it may be called parchment paper, but I'm not sure about that. My new
>> printer doesn't have this paper type option, but it has many others.
>> Anyone recommend a paper setting for this type of paper?
>> Thanks a lot, regards, dnw.
>

> Wow, talk about time travel, its 2021 and I'm asking the same question.
>
> I did a little research and as most of you said Hagaki is a Japanese
> paper type normally 4 by 4 inches.
> "Hagaki" means post card in Japanese.
>
> I was running some test prints and it seems to print really well on
> FELT PAPER, MATTE LINEN, COATED LINEN and even METALLIC PAPER.
> I used a Canon Pixma TS9020 Inkjet Printer. I'm very impressed with
> this mode, I never used it till today however be careful when using
> the the Inkjet Hagaki K vs Hagaki A as one seems to spread the in more
> and the other gives just enough.

Yeah, Hagaki means postcard in Japanese.
Standard "hagaki" is generic non-photo media, like you usual postcard
that you write on and then maill. Size is 100x148mm.

There is also a (forget the name) double or wide hagaki, which is the
long or folding version. Maybe called "Hagaki 2" in some manuals, it is
200x148mm.
Effectively, this resolution mode is similar to a plain media mode.

Then postcards started being produced with a surface fit for inkjet
photo printing (i.e., photo paper). This type of postcard is desginated
as "inkjet hagaki".

I think there was later a more high quality photo type of hagaki called
"inkjet photo hagaki".

More recently, modes have been split between the address (A) side and
the image/design (K) side. Lets of wasted modes!
So one gets:

inkjet hagaki (A) - address side of an inkjet hagaki, which is basically
plain old hagaki mode

inkjet hagaki (K) - design side of an inkjet hagaki

inkjet photo hagaki (A) - address side of an inkjet phoyo hagaki, which
is basically plain old hagaki mode

inkjet photo hagaki (A) - design side of an inkjet photo hagaki

hagaki (A) - address side of standard old hagaki, which is plain old
hagaki mode

hagaki (K) - design side of standard old hagaki, which is also just
plain old hagaki mode

That said, the firmware may make small adjustments to the printing even
if the resolution mode looks the same in the printjob data. But from my
experience, I cannot see any difference in the output between the three
(A) media selections on my iP and MP series printer/multifunction
device.

Hope that helps.
Gernot Hassenpflug
--