From: pet...@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Fontname with a slash using XeLaTeX/fontspec
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 16:39:46 +0000
 by: Peter Flynn - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 16:39 UTC

I'm interested in using the AnkaCoder font. I downloaded it, but the
fontname (in the TTF files) is "Anka/Coder" with an embedded slash.

> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setmonofont{Anka/Coder Narrow}
> \begin{document}
> text
> \begin{verbatim}
> stuff
> \end{verbatim}
> \end{document}

This gives the error:

> kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid filename `Anka/Coder Narrow', contains ' '
> ! Package fontspec Error: The font "Anka/Coder Narrow" cannot be found.

But it seems to be the slash that causes the problem, not the space,
because trying to load regular Anker/Coder goes off to run METAFONT
because it thinks the fonts are missing.

Running fc-list gives (I have pruned
/home/peter/texmf/fonts/truetype/google/anka from the start of the
location for brevity here):

/AnkaCoder-C75-b.ttf: Anka/Coder Narrow:style=Bold
/AnkaCoder-C75-bi.ttf: Anka/Coder Narrow:style=Bold Italic
/AnkaCoder-C75-i.ttf: Anka/Coder Narrow:style=Italic
/AnkaCoder-C75-r.ttf: Anka/Coder Narrow:style=Regular
/AnkaCoder-C87-b.ttf: Anka/Coder Condensed:style=Bold
/AnkaCoder-C87-bi.ttf: Anka/Coder Condensed:style=Bold Italic
/AnkaCoder-C87-i.ttf: Anka/Coder Condensed:style=Italic
/AnkaCoder-C87-r.ttf: Anka/Coder Condensed:style=Regular
/AnkaCoder-b.ttf: Anka/Coder:style=Bold
/AnkaCoder-bi.ttf: Anka/Coder:style=Bold Italic
/AnkaCoder-i.ttf: Anka/Coder:style=Italic
/AnkaCoder-r.ttf: Anka/Coder:style=Regular

Is there a way to allow fontspec to load a font whose name contains an
embedded slash?

Peter

Re: Fontname with a slash using XeLaTeX/fontspec

<ure3aj$iic9$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8203&group=comp.text.tex#8203

From: ud.usene...@web.de (Ulrich D i e z)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: Fontname with a slash using XeLaTeX/fontspec
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 01:58:39 +0100
 by: Ulrich D i e z - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 00:58 UTC

Peter Flynn schrieb:
> Is there a way to allow fontspec to load a font whose name contains an embedded slash?

On my system, TeX Live 2020 on Debian Buster, copying AnkaCoder-C75-r.ttf to
the directory where the .tex-file to compile is stored and saying

\setmonofont{AnkaCoder-C75-r.ttf}

works out both with lualatex and xelatex.

On my system, TeX Live 2020 on Debian Buster, after moving the .ttf-files to
'/usr/share/fonts/truetype/AnkaCoder'
and running
sudo luaotfload-tool -vvv --update --force
and
sudo mktexlsr

, compiling

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmonofont{AnkaCoder-C75-r}
%\setmonofont{AnkaCoder-C75-r.ttf}[Path=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/AnkaCoder/]
\begin{document}
text
\begin{verbatim}
stuff
\end{verbatim}
\end{document}

works out using xelatex for compiling but fails when using lualatex for
compiling.

With lualatex I don't get any error messages from the package fontspec.
But at the end of the lualatex-run I get the message:

! error: (file ) (type 2): cannot find file ''
! ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

All this is what in fontspec is called "loading by filename".

I don't know whether this might be a bug in fontspec or in luatex
or whatever.

But the system where I tested these things is rather old.

Sincerely

Ulrich

Re: Fontname with a slash using XeLaTeX/fontspec

<l48hemFsdpgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8219&group=comp.text.tex#8219

From: pet...@silmaril.ie (Peter Flynn)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 10:49:58 +0000
 by: Peter Flynn - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 10:49 UTC

On 25/02/2024 00:58, Ulrich D i e z wrote:
> Peter Flynn schrieb:
>
>> Is there a way to allow fontspec to load a font whose name contains an embedded slash?
>
> On my system, TeX Live 2020 on Debian Buster, copying AnkaCoder-C75-r.ttf to
> the directory where the .tex-file to compile is stored and saying
>
> \setmonofont{AnkaCoder-C75-r.ttf}

Thanks very much. I'll mark it as an exception.

Peter