Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top icons

SubjectAuthor
* Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsjackpatton
+* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsR.Wieser
|`* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsjackpatton
| `- Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsR.Wieser
+* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsEd Cryer
|`* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsjackpatton
| `* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsNewyana2
|  `* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsEd Cryer
|   `* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsNewyana2
|    +* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsEd Cryer
|    |+* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsJ. P. Gilliver
|    ||`- Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsNewyana2
|    |`- Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsNewyana2
|    `- Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsjackpatton
`* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsNewyana2
 +* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsMark Lloyd
 |+* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsJ. P. Gilliver
 ||+- Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsNewyana2
 ||`- Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsjackpatton
 |`* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsjackpatton
 | `- Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsMark Lloyd
 `* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsjackpatton
  `* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsNewyana2
   +- Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsJ. P. Gilliver
   `* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsjackpatton
    `* Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsJ. P. Gilliver
     `- Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top iconsPaul

Pages:12
Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top icons

<ut28ua$2el56$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7870&group=alt.windows7.general#7870

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top icons
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 15:52:35 -0400
 by: Newyana2 - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 19:52 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote

| It was as if someone said "these newbies, we won't have them changing
| the appearance all the time - only we 'advanced' folk should have access
| to what everyone did before."
| That's exactly it. Inexperienced people are intimidated
by the Advanced button. MS know that. That's why IE
cookie settings, for example, were hidden behind an
Advanced button -- to makre sure no one disables cookies.

Re: Windows XP question -- Increase font size in applications and desk top icons

<54un1j9qo1h0u9h2vkvtnif5uf0ajhtdu4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8157&group=alt.windows7.general#8157

From: jackpat...@astraweb.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 11:48:30 -0400
 by: jackpat...@astraweb.com - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 15:48 UTC

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 21:48:26 -0400, "Newyana2" <Newyana2@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>"Ed Cryer" <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote
>
>| My Win7 has Ease of Access centre, accessible from Control Panel/ Make
>| the computer easier to see/ Make things on the screen larger/ Change the
>| size of text and icons.
>|

> I never noticed that before. At any rate, it's not on XP.
>I'm guessing the Win7 version is just an accessibility
>presentation of what's on XP. It's rarely used and generally
>not a good idea.
>
> I ran across it many years ago writing software. I'd never
>heard of anyone actually changing text size. But it came up
>in a programming discussion and I realized that Windows didn't
>actually handle it. The setting would make all the label text in
>my program window bigger, but leave everything else the same,
>so that text often got snipped. I learned that in order to
>accommodate anyone using that setting I had to leave extra
>space on all labels.
>
> For example, if I had a button with text under it that said,
>"Browse for File", I'd have to make sure there was plenty of
>room for the text to get bigger. Long story short, the setting
>works but may cause surprises in some software windows.

Not a surprise when you are expecting that to happen at times. .

If you can't infer what the text says, and need to know, you can copy it from the container and paste it
as a search argument (for example) and the copy function will usually get the whole line, whether it is
displayed on the terminal or not.

jim