Yes I have a Machintosh, please don't scream at me. -- Larry Blumette on linux-kernel

computers / comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc / Re: V5R4 DVDs?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: V5R4 DVDs?Chad Goodman
`* Re: V5R4 DVDs?poc
 `* Re: V5R4 DVDs?Chad Goodman
  `* Re: V5R4 DVDs?poc
   `- Re: V5R4 DVDs?Chad Goodman

1
Re: V5R4 DVDs?

<2131dda3-38fd-480d-90f2-79e8f236f94bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=77&group=comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc#77

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 14:39:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: V5R4 DVDs?
From: chad.goo...@gmail.com (Chad Goodman)
 by: Chad Goodman - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 21:39 UTC

On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 8:52:29 PM UTC-7, Garry Taylor wrote:
> Hi all,
> OK, I bought a little i515 on eBay, and it has no OS installed. I'd like to change that.
>
> I figure I need a media kit for V5R4, and also Operations Navigator to install on my laptop?
>
> Anyone got a DVD media kit lying around they'd like to sell me?
>
> Thanks
>
> Garry
Garry - v5r4
https://archive.org/details/ibm_i5os_V5R4_5722-SS1

Re: V5R4 DVDs?

<kanjjpFdrd6U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80&group=comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc#80

From: poc...@pocnet.net
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc
Date: 24 Apr 2023 14:55:53 GMT
 by: poc...@pocnet.net - Mon, 24 Apr 2023 14:55 UTC

Hmm, I wonder why the original message from Garr Taylor didn't get through.

Chad Goodman <chad.goodman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 8:52:29 PM UTC-7, Garry Taylor wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> OK, I bought a little i515 on eBay, and it has no OS installed. I'd like to change that.
>>
>> I figure I need a media kit for V5R4, and also Operations Navigator to install on my laptop?
>>
>> Anyone got a DVD media kit lying around they'd like to sell me?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Garry
>>
> Garry - v5r4
> https://archive.org/details/ibm_i5os_V5R4_5722-SS1

Last time I checked you could download each OS release starting with V5R4
directly from IBM ESS.

All you need is a (free) IBM ID. With that you can access "demo and evaluation
software".

:wq! PoC

Re: V5R4 DVDs?

<a8adf692-e28e-45e2-bca1-c32a8e511775n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=81&group=comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc#81

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 11:59:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: chad.goo...@gmail.com (Chad Goodman)
 by: Chad Goodman - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 18:59 UTC

p....@poc.net
you know, maybe it did get through - maybe it didnt, i cant remember
what was the point of your message? to point out that maybe i didnt read the entire thread? or i cant read? or i have no reading comprehension?

bottom line, i have brain cancer, and i have good days and bad days, and bad days on top of chemo to make worse days
i feel like your message was a dig at me like i said above. Maybe if you had a problem with my message, send me an email???
not post it in public like i am doing now.

there are days i may had read the thread and forgot what i read due to my cancer. I do not expect anyone to feel sorry for me, but common courtesy towards everyone goes a long way.
i came across v5r4 at archive.org a while back, and figured i would post it..
even if the message in question did get through, what does it hurt to have more than one resource to access some files??? maybe the OP is in a country where IBM wont allow an account?
who know if IBM even monitors user locations.. I tried to help the OP and guess what, I will continue to help anyone i can even if a valid answer was posted in the thread, what does a 2nd answer hurt?
seriously

~Chad

On Monday, April 24, 2023 at 7:55:58 AM UTC-7, p...@pocnet.net wrote:
> Hmm, I wonder why the original message from Garr Taylor didn't get through.
> Chad Goodman <chad.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 8:52:29 PM UTC-7, Garry Taylor wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >> OK, I bought a little i515 on eBay, and it has no OS installed. I'd like to change that.
> >>
> >> I figure I need a media kit for V5R4, and also Operations Navigator to install on my laptop?
> >>
> >> Anyone got a DVD media kit lying around they'd like to sell me?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Garry
> >>
> > Garry - v5r4
> > https://archive.org/details/ibm_i5os_V5R4_5722-SS1
> Last time I checked you could download each OS release starting with V5R4
> directly from IBM ESS.
>
> All you need is a (free) IBM ID. With that you can access "demo and evaluation
> software".
>
> :wq! PoC

Re: V5R4 DVDs?

<kaqvceFtfgmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=82&group=comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc#82

From: poc...@pocnet.net
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc
Date: 25 Apr 2023 21:35:10 GMT
 by: poc...@pocnet.net - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 21:35 UTC

Chad Goodman <chad.goodman@gmail.com> wrote:

> you know, maybe it did get through - maybe it didnt, i cant remember

It wasn't getting through to me, but that was not your fault at all. The
message was from a completely different person.

> what was the point of your message? to point out that maybe i didnt read the
> entire thread? or i cant read? or i have no reading comprehension?

Garry Taylor was asking for the V5R4 release of I5/OS. You pointed him to
archive.org. I expanded on that by pointing out you can *also* download V5R4
directly from IBM the last time I checked.

There is no blame I intended to put onto you. I was just using your message to
pick up the thread since the original message from Garry Taylor was not
available to me to follow-up to.

> bottom line, i have brain cancer, and i have good days and bad days, and bad
> days on top of chemo to make worse days i feel like your message was a dig
> at me like i said above. Maybe if you had a problem with my message, send
> me an email??? not post it in public like i am doing now.

Complete misunderstanding. First, my condolences about your condition. Second,
I have no idea how you come up with the idea I was taking a dig at you,
whatever that means. I'm not a native English speaker. Even after reviewing my
message in context with yours, I simply do not understand where you see
discourtesy.

Bottom line, no offense meant at all.

> there are days i may had read the thread and forgot what i read due to my
> cancer. I do not expect anyone to feel sorry for me, but common courtesy
> towards everyone goes a long way.

First: Nobody can know about your condition beforehand.

Second: I completely cannot understand where you see lack of common courtesy
in my message just pointing out an alternate download location. I didn't write
insults or anything similar.

> i came across v5r4 at archive.org a while back, and figured i would post it.
> even if the message in question did get through, what does it hurt to have
> more than one resource to access some files???

I completely agree. For that reason I gave a *second* resource to access those
files. How could that hurt, as you say.

Btw., the OP's message wasn't getting through to me, not yours. How could I
refer to your message when it wasn't there?

> maybe the OP is in a country where IBM wont allow an account? who know if
> IBM even monitors user locations..

I counter with "I have accessed software on archive.org earlier and sometimes
it was either incomplete or I was unable to restore the data to physical media
because of missing information/metadata".

Besides that: What does it help to assume limitations of the OP, playing "what
if"? He might have told or can follow-up. I was throwing my answer out like
you did: To help. Nothing less, nothing more.

> I tried to help the OP and guess what, I will continue to help anyone i can
> even if a valid answer was posted in the thread, what does a 2nd answer
> hurt? seriously

That's a good thing to do and I completely agree.

In that thread I have not seen a "first answer". There was the OPs question
(which wasn't available on my news server), and your answer. On which I
answered to not break the chain of message references/thread.

You assume I had bad intentions with my post, which I did not have. With all
respect about your condition but I assert it's not the best of ideas to assume
some arbitrary stranger picking on you deliberately, out of the blue, for no
apparent reason. At least this seems weird to me. Please consider a more
positive approach by assuming what often is the case when people communicate:
A simple misunderstanding might have happened. It's common common courtesy to
politely ask, maybe send me an email and not unload your anger on me publicly.

Thank you for your understanding.

:wq! PoC

Re: V5R4 DVDs?

<6964a1b6-943f-4c10-b9c1-80f8a90d5fe3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=83&group=comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc#83

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 06:25:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: chad.goo...@gmail.com (Chad Goodman)
 by: Chad Goodman - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 13:25 UTC

I was wrong and out of line by posting this in a public forum - i will explain to you in detail why i felt the way i did, email me @ chad.goodman at gmail.com and i will respond -i disrailed this thread enough

~sorry all