Subject: WTB Decus audiotape of Bill Hancock's networking session
From: Chuck Wagner
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 00:48 UTC
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 17:48:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: chuc...@gmail.com (Chuck Wagner)
Back in the late 80's or early 90s I attended one of Bill Hancock's Decus sessions on networking.  It was very entertaining, and included discussions of an early network protocol (tcp/ip?) at the University of Hawaii where actual transmitters & receivers were used with antennas instead of a cable. The punchline of that joke ended with "and of course Russian trawlers off the coast could listen in to these transmissions - unfortunately copying students Fortran homework set back Russian computing by a decade or more".

Anyway, I'd love to get a chance to listen to that again - does anyone know what happened to all the Decus symposium masters, or anyone who collected the audiotapes?

Thanks, Chuck.

From: Scott Dorsey
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 19:53 UTC
From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec
Date: 23 Sep 2020 19:53:02 -0000
View all headers
In article <0e3744d5-1797-4948-8ac1-005549a88c65n@googlegroups.com>,
Chuck Wagner  <chuck60@gmail.com> wrote:
Back in the late 80's or early 90s I attended one of Bill Hancock's Decus s=
essions on networking.  It was very entertaining, and included discussions =
of an early network protocol (tcp/ip?) at the University of Hawaii where ac=
tual transmitters & receivers were used with antennas instead of a cable. T=
he punchline of that joke ended with "and of course Russian trawlers off th=
e coast could listen in to these transmissions - unfortunately copying stud=
ents Fortran homework set back Russian computing by a decade or more".

That would have been Alohanet, which is very well described in a lot of
places including Tanenbaum's book on networking which has a good statistical
analysis of the transmit-without-checking-and-wait-for-ack method.
All this stuff predated IP by quite a bit.

Anyway, I'd love to get a chance to listen to that again - does anyone know=
what happened to all the Decus symposium masters, or anyone who collected =
the audiotapes?

The DECUS Symposia cassette tape vendor at the time was Chesapeake Audio/Video
Communications at 6330 Howard Lane in Elkridge, MD.  They shut down probably
fifteen years ago and Cardinal Sound and Motion Picture took over the building
but I don't think they left behind any of the original recordings.  You can
call Neil at Cardinal and ask if he remembers the name of the guy that ran
Chesapeake.  He was a million years old fifteen years ago, I would be
surprised if he was still alive but you never know.
--scott