HOST SYSTEM RESPONDING, PROBABLY UP...

tech / sci.logic / Re: Question words, and what's an answer

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Question words, and what's an answerRoss Finlayson
`* Re: Question words, and what's an answerRoss Finlayson
 +* Re: Question words, and what's an answerMild Shock
 |+* Re: Question words, and what's an answerMild Shock
 ||`* Re: Question words, and what's an answerMild Shock
 || `- Re: Question words, and what's an answerMild Shock
 |`- Re: Question words, and what's an answerRoss Finlayson
 `* Re: Question words, and what's an answerRoss Finlayson
  `* Re: Question words, and what's an answerRoss Finlayson
   `- Re: Question words, and what's an answerRoss Finlayson

1
Re: Question words, and what's an answer

<01faee89-0417-4cda-99a7-23feb8b85b40n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1187&group=sci.logic#1187

Newsgroups: sci.logic
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 14:24:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Question words, and what's an answer
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
 by: Ross Finlayson - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 21:24 UTC

On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 11:00:27 AM UTC-7, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 25, 2023 at 8:21:14 AM UTC-7, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LnC4srnwtY
> > >
> > > Here's some more reading from Maugin and also some
> > > about the path integral and atomic theory, or Knuth, Noether, and Feynman.
> > >

> > > I found a copy of Curme Volume 1 or "Parts of Speech, and Accidence", so feel pretty
> > > comfortable that for English at least those are mostly the terms I would use. The bookseller
> > > referred me to Skeat's Etymology and so I'm also interested in the Wortenbuch, or some
> > > apocryphal "a dictionary of all the words in all the languages, giving definitions and pointing
> > > to the languages and origins". I haven't found a copy of Cambridge Grammar of the English
> > > Language yet, but Curme goes a long way, and I like that mostly he only has examples of
> > > the words and their parts of speech, not much entanglement with examples of usage,
> > > so I imagine that this kind of multi-pass parser approach and resulting as of dependency
> > > grammars for building terse, concise models of the referents, will go a long ways towards
> > > natural, normal forms for the codification of natural language, and for of course showing
> > > directly where it's possible that according to type theory there's natural theorem-proving.
> >

> > Reading through Curme, I've been learning some names of parts-of-speech
> > that really help a lot, about all the appositives and adjectival and adverbial force,
> > copulas and the English languages' success courtesy copulas, lots of things.
> >
> > "Once an argument has been transformed into symbolic form
> > an important part of logical analysis has been accomplished.
> > The next step involves the applications of the Rules of Distribution". -- Huppe and Kaminsky
> >
> > Then they go on to describe enthymemes and Sorites.
> >
> > So, I'll be looking to go through the type theory expressed in Curme,
> > and making out for it a neat system of derivations and hierarchy.
> It's said that "Roger Bacon" was working on "Universal Grammar" back in the "Dark Ages".

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Question words, and what's an answer

<e50b3837-74c7-4826-a9e5-eaf3e948d0ccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1694&group=sci.logic#1694

Newsgroups: sci.logic
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 21:28:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
 by: Ross Finlayson - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 04:28 UTC

<67a0ba07-3cd6-48a7-b78f-73cc39a10bd7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1701&group=sci.logic#1701

Newsgroups: sci.logic
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 01:49:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: burse...@gmail.com (Mild Shock)
 by: Mild Shock - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 08:49 UTC

Concerning Rossy Boys find: Figure 1: Hierarchy of inference classes
Space Time, belongs to Visualization? Doesn't it. It is quite up in the
pyramid, because it is not so easily linearly text?

And might involve the future? They give this example:

Question: How many people affected by Alzheimer’s (Including
Archimedes Plutonium) are there expected to be in the year 2050?

Well in humans you have IQ, which can be viewed as having these compartments:
- 90-110, the subject can geometrically reason about space
- 110-130, the subject can geometrically reason about time
- 130-150, the subject can reason about his own reasoning
- What else?

Now we have Dan Christense and Mark Thakkar with abominations
such as: "My principal argument for the claim that statements about
the future have no truth-values is that otherwise they would have

the standard entailments of propositional logic." Whats their
IQ from a modern viewpoint? Not medieval or antique.

LoL

Ross Finlayson schrieb am Montag, 19. Juni 2023 um 06:29:01 UTC+2:
> Here's an interesting paper about inference. https://aclanthology.org/L14-1119/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://aclanthology.org/L14-1119/
>
> The authors describe that there are _simple_ and there are _hard_ inferences,
> and about "contextual" readings and "generosity".
>
> Lots of issues in the semantics of knowledge representation are explored in https://aclanthology.org papers.
>
> There's something to be said for looking through those and learning models of models
> of learning of languages of languages.
>
> So, from Volumes I and II of Curme, Parts of Speech and Accidence and Syntax, one might aver that
> this would be treating English like a dead language, but, it had already had a very long life.
> Indeed it's not a dead language, neither for that matter is Latin in Italian or Sanskrit in Hindi,
> but what Curme's descriptive grammar outlines is a very full treatment of usage and structure
> of statement in English (and what would be models of such statements in other natural languages).

Re: Question words, and what's an answer

<40d03888-da1a-428a-8d83-9e783740fdb4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1702&group=sci.logic#1702

Newsgroups: sci.logic
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 01:51:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: burse...@gmail.com (Mild Shock)
 by: Mild Shock - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 08:51 UTC

You can read about the modern world view, for example here, this
was an attempt to give it a philosophical footing:

Whitehead's Process and Reality
"Process and Reality is a book by Alfred North Whitehead,
in which the author propounds a philosophy of organism,
also called process philosophy.

The book, published in 1929, is a revision of the
Gifford Lectures he gave in 1927–28."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_and_Reality

Process philosophy
"Process philosophy, also ontology of becoming, or processism,
is an approach in philosophy that identifies processes, changes,
or shifting relationships as the only real experience of everyday living.

In opposition to the classical view of change as illusory (as argued
by Parmenides) or accidental (as argued by Aristotle), process
philosophy posits transient occasions of change or becoming as the
only fundamental things of the ordinary everyday real world."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_philosophy

Mild Shock schrieb am Montag, 19. Juni 2023 um 10:49:03 UTC+2:
> Concerning Rossy Boys find: Figure 1: Hierarchy of inference classes
> Space Time, belongs to Visualization? Doesn't it. It is quite up in the
> pyramid, because it is not so easily linearly text?
>
> And might involve the future? They give this example:
>
> Question: How many people affected by Alzheimer’s (Including
> Archimedes Plutonium) are there expected to be in the year 2050?
>
> Well in humans you have IQ, which can be viewed as having these compartments:
> - 90-110, the subject can geometrically reason about space
> - 110-130, the subject can geometrically reason about time
> - 130-150, the subject can reason about his own reasoning
> - What else?
>
> Now we have Dan Christense and Mark Thakkar with abominations
> such as: "My principal argument for the claim that statements about
> the future have no truth-values is that otherwise they would have
>
> the standard entailments of propositional logic." Whats their
> IQ from a modern viewpoint? Not medieval or antique.
>
> LoL
> Ross Finlayson schrieb am Montag, 19. Juni 2023 um 06:29:01 UTC+2:
> > Here's an interesting paper about inference. https://aclanthology.org/L14-1119/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://aclanthology.org/L14-1119/
> >
> > The authors describe that there are _simple_ and there are _hard_ inferences,
> > and about "contextual" readings and "generosity".
> >
> > Lots of issues in the semantics of knowledge representation are explored in https://aclanthology.org papers.
> >
> > There's something to be said for looking through those and learning models of models
> > of learning of languages of languages.
> >
> > So, from Volumes I and II of Curme, Parts of Speech and Accidence and Syntax, one might aver that
> > this would be treating English like a dead language, but, it had already had a very long life.
> > Indeed it's not a dead language, neither for that matter is Latin in Italian or Sanskrit in Hindi,
> > but what Curme's descriptive grammar outlines is a very full treatment of usage and structure
> > of statement in English (and what would be models of such statements in other natural languages).

Re: Question words, and what's an answer

<86729252-4a1a-4a70-a725-28ba1abc2d01n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1703&group=sci.logic#1703

Newsgroups: sci.logic
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 01:53:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: burse...@gmail.com (Mild Shock)
 by: Mild Shock - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 08:53 UTC

But is this world view really modern? Here is
an attempt to dig up some precedents:

[Audio Postcast]
QUADRIVIAL PURSUITS: THE OXFORD CALCULATORS
https://historyofphilosophy.net/oxford-calculators

The Oxford Calculators were a group of 14th-century thinkers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_Calculators

<1c775be8-d276-4dc4-966f-767a7505129bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1704&group=sci.logic#1704

Newsgroups: sci.logic
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 02:12:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: burse...@gmail.com (Mild Shock)
 by: Mild Shock - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 09:12 UTC

The difficulty seems to be to not create abominations
such as Mark Thakkar “My principal argument for the claim
that statements about the future have no truth-values is

that otherwise they would have the standard entailments
of propositional logic." i.e. throw the baby out with the bathwater,
and do what most logician and humans have already done for long,

apply material implication also for non-mechanistic theories.

<79164f07-e054-40d2-b833-1cba2abe94cen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=1716&group=sci.logic#1716

Newsgroups: sci.logic
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 08:01:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
 by: Ross Finlayson - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:01 UTC

On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 1:49:03 AM UTC-7, Mild Shock wrote:
> Concerning Rossy Boys find: Figure 1: Hierarchy of inference classes
> Space Time, belongs to Visualization? Doesn't it. It is quite up in the
> pyramid, because it is not so easily linearly text?
>
> And might involve the future? They give this example:
>
> Question: How many people affected by Alzheimer’s (Including
> Archimedes Plutonium) are there expected to be in the year 2050?
>
> Well in humans you have IQ, which can be viewed as having these compartments:
> - 90-110, the subject can geometrically reason about space
> - 110-130, the subject can geometrically reason about time
> - 130-150, the subject can reason about his own reasoning
> - What else?
>
> Now we have Dan Christense and Mark Thakkar with abominations
> such as: "My principal argument for the claim that statements about
> the future have no truth-values is that otherwise they would have
>
> the standard entailments of propositional logic." Whats their
> IQ from a modern viewpoint? Not medieval or antique.
>
> LoL
> Ross Finlayson schrieb am Montag, 19. Juni 2023 um 06:29:01 UTC+2:
> > Here's an interesting paper about inference. https://aclanthology.org/L14-1119/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://aclanthology.org/L14-1119/
> >
> > The authors describe that there are _simple_ and there are _hard_ inferences,
> > and about "contextual" readings and "generosity".
> >
> > Lots of issues in the semantics of knowledge representation are explored in https://aclanthology.org papers.
> >
> > There's something to be said for looking through those and learning models of models
> > of learning of languages of languages.
> >
> > So, from Volumes I and II of Curme, Parts of Speech and Accidence and Syntax, one might aver that
> > this would be treating English like a dead language, but, it had already had a very long life.
> > Indeed it's not a dead language, neither for that matter is Latin in Italian or Sanskrit in Hindi,
> > but what Curme's descriptive grammar outlines is a very full treatment of usage and structure
> > of statement in English (and what would be models of such statements in other natural languages).

What's said is those numbers should be lower unless the entire herd went dumb.

Re: Question words, and what's an answer

<2772a6b3-4dc3-4fd9-8ccd-eb62932b6561n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3083&group=sci.logic#3083

Newsgroups: sci.logic
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 17:27:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
 by: Ross Finlayson - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 00:27 UTC

<pwqdnf28GtuBt1T4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=7943&group=sci.logic#7943

Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
References: <d9acc9d2-09f4-49b1-8371-6c3e76fb5038n@googlegroups.com> <cec8e8b0-b143-47f5-ba59-4224e828f177n@googlegroups.com> <2183cbfd-c70d-44de-af70-8bb0a8e282a1n@googlegroups.com> <efdca991-a5db-4fb1-833f-c27577005ac5n@googlegroups.com> <7b287b64-a820-4365-8e20-2cbd5b8bd8a2n@googlegroups.com> <677be551-49c1-47b5-9ba1-b993fd759937n@googlegroups.com> <0cd2b747-849a-475c-8b47-714c4ecb3dfbn@googlegroups.com> <01faee89-0417-4cda-99a7-23feb8b85b40n@googlegroups.com> <e50b3837-74c7-4826-a9e5-eaf3e948d0ccn@googlegroups.com> <2772a6b3-4dc3-4fd9-8ccd-eb62932b6561n@googlegroups.com>
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 12:12:27 -0800
 by: Ross Finlayson - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 20:12 UTC

<lJKcnUoyo5mIykv4nZ2dnZfqnPEAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=8401&group=sci.logic#8401

Newsgroups: sci.logic
<pwqdnf28GtuBt1T4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: ross.a.f...@gmail.com (Ross Finlayson)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:03:37 -0800
 by: Ross Finlayson - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 20:03 UTC

This helps frame logic in terms of satisfaction.