Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:25:59 -0500
Subject: Re: On the halting problem (reprise #2)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:25 UTC

On 4/29/2022 3:17 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:42:49 -0400
> Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

>>> A person that only cares about rebuttal and does not give a rat's
>>> ass about truth would say that. You don't pay attention to what he
>>> says you merely pick out some fake excuse for a rebuttal.
>>>
>>> Flibble perfectly defined "erroneous proof" and "erroneous theory"
>>> in that their basis is anchored in the well defined concept of
>>> [category error]:
>>>
>>> [category error]
>>> a semantic or ontological error in which things belonging to a
>>> particular category are presented as if they belong to a different
>>> category,[1] or, alternatively, a property is ascribed to a thing
>>> that could not possibly have that property.
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_mistake
>>>
>> And exactly WHAT is the category error in the Halting Problem.
>
> The infinitely recursive definition.
>

>> What is given the wrong category, and what category is it incorrectly
>> being given.
>
> The two categories are the decider and that which is being decided.
>

>> If you can't state what the error is, you are just proving that YOU
>> are just in "Rebuttal Mode" and not caring about what is the actual
>> truth.
>
> /Flibble

The Liar Paradox and Gödel's G are examples of infinitely recursive
definition.

LP := ~True(LP)
G := ~Provable(G)

This is totally obvious when they are encoded in Prolog.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350789898_Prolog_detects_and_rejects_pathological_self_reference_in_the_Godel_sentence

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: On the halting problem (reprise #2) [ Gödel's G ]

<t4houe$n7e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8495&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8495

Followup: comp.theory
From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
Subject: Re:_On_the_halting_problem_(reprise_#2)_[_G
ödel's G ]
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 17:30:37 -0500
 by: olcott - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 22:30 UTC

On 4/29/2022 4:42 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 4/29/22 4:25 PM, olcott wrote:
>> On 4/29/2022 3:17 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> The infinitely recursive definition.

>>> The two categories are the decider and that which is being decided.

>>> /Flibble
>>>

>> The Liar Paradox and Gödel's G are examples of infinitely recursive
>> definition.
>>
>> LP := ~True(LP)
>> G := ~Provable(G)
>>
>> This is totally obvious when they are encoded in Prolog.
>>
>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350789898_Prolog_detects_and_rejects_pathological_self_reference_in_the_Godel_sentence
>>

> Except that isn't the actual statement of G, and G can't be written in
> Prolog because Prolog only handles first order logic and G uses Higher
> Order logic.
>
> FAIL.

DIRECT QUOTE FROM page 40/43 OF Gödel's PAPER
The analogy between this result and Richard’s antinomy leaps to the eye;
there is also a close relationship with the “liar” antinomy,^14 since
the undecidable proposition [R(q); q] states precisely that q belongs to
K, i.e. according to (1), that [R(q); q] is not provable. We are
therefore confronted with a proposition which asserts its own unprovability.

14 Every epistemological antinomy can likewise be used for a similar
undecidability proof

https://mavdisk.mnsu.edu/pj2943kt/Fall%202015/Promotion%20Application/Previous%20Years%20Article%2022%20Materials/godel-1931.pdf

Thus: G ⟷ ~Provable(G)
is sufficiently equivalent to Gödel's G.

When this is encoded in Prolog it is rejected as an infinite term as my
paper clearly shows.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see." Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: On the halting problem (reprise #2) [ Prolog Liar Paradox ]

<t4i4df$uuh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8496&group=comp.ai.philosophy#8496

Followup: comp.theory
From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
Subject: Re: On the halting problem (reprise #2) [ Prolog Liar Paradox ]
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:46:22 -0500
 by: olcott - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 01:46 UTC

On 4/29/2022 8:29 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> On 4/29/2022 5:10 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
>> On 4/29/22 6:30 PM, olcott wrote:
>
>   <SNIP>
>
>>> When this is encoded in Prolog it is rejected as an infinite term as
>>> my paper clearly shows.
>>>

>> As it should, since G uses Higher Order Logic which can NOT be
>> properly expressed in the first order logic of Prolog.
>
> Unless Prolog has changed wildly in the last several years, it isn't
> even close to FOL. I remember it as a toy that could only represent and
> reason with Horn clauses. Can Prolog now deal with quantifiers and
> negation on both sides of an implication? That would be very impressive.
>
> As a side note, I think it was this paucity of power that caused many
> folks to not understand that "A -> B" could be true when "B" was false.

It resolves the Liar Paradox to semantically malformed:

?- LP = not(true(LP)).
LP = not(true(LP)).

?- unify_with_occurs_check(LP, not(true(LP))).
false.

(SWI-Prolog (threaded, 64 bits, version 7.6.4)