computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Free Game: Mafia ... just not yet

SubjectAuthor
* Free Game: Mafia ... just not yetSpalls Hurgenson
+* Re: Free Game: Mafia ... just not yetPW
|+- Re: Free Game: Mafia ... just not yetSpalls Hurgenson
|`- Re: Free Game: Mafia ... just not yetAnssi Saari
+- Re: Free Game: Mafia ... just not yetPW
+- Re: Free Game: Mafia ... just not yetPW
`- Re: Free Game: Mafia ... just not yetGeeknix

1
Free Game: Mafia ... just not yet

<nfoqgh9tjeo6evpdo7utvqs0r4uamdvuhr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8510&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#8510

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free Game: Mafia ... just not yet
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 21:21:24 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 01:21 UTC

Yes, I am pre-emptively reporting on a free game. Why? Because if I
wait, I'll forget.

"Mafia" will be made free-to-keep on Steam* if you claim it between
Thur Sep 1 and Mon 4 September. This is the original game, not the
sequels, but that's okay because (IMHO, YMMV, IOAH) that's the best
one of the whole trilogy.

Well, I say the original game. Technically, it's the digital
re-release first made available on GOG and later on Steam.
Unfortunately, that version lacks the awesome Django Reinhardt
soundtrack, and that deficiency has a negative effect on the
beautifully crafted atmosphere and setting the game boasted when it
was on CD-ROM. Nor is it the 2020 remaster, with updated visuals,
improved hardware compatibility and tweaked gameplay. So you are -
arguably - getting the worst of both worlds with this version.

Still, it's free (or it will be. Pre-emptive notification, remember?)
and it's an excellent - if somewhat dated - game well worth being
added to any PC gamer's library.

Buy it now or claim it free in a few days:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/40990/Mafia/

(Also, they are developing a "Mafia 4"**. Grumps about dipping into
the same well too many times aside, at least the various games of the
franchise have been pretty independent of each other beyond sharing a
common theme of open-world criminality).

======================
* https://twitter.com/2K/status/1564266634898018304
** mentioned at the bottom of article on
https://mafiagame.com/news/mafia-20th-anniversary-developer-interview/

Re: Free Game: Mafia ... just not yet

<rl1rgh5ntgmdn51dgsaq2saflaedte5lul@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8512&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#8512

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Free Game: Mafia ... just not yet
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 21:44:16 -0600
 by: PW - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 03:44 UTC

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 21:21:24 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Yes, I am pre-emptively reporting on a free game. Why? Because if I
>wait, I'll forget.
>
>"Mafia" will be made free-to-keep on Steam* if you claim it between
>Thur Sep 1 and Mon 4 September. This is the original game, not the
>sequels, but that's okay because (IMHO, YMMV, IOAH) that's the best
>one of the whole trilogy.
>
>Well, I say the original game. Technically, it's the digital
>re-release first made available on GOG and later on Steam.
>Unfortunately, that version lacks the awesome Django Reinhardt
>soundtrack, and that deficiency has a negative effect on the
>beautifully crafted atmosphere and setting the game boasted when it
>was on CD-ROM. Nor is it the 2020 remaster, with updated visuals,
>improved hardware compatibility and tweaked gameplay. So you are -
>arguably - getting the worst of both worlds with this version.
>
>Still, it's free (or it will be. Pre-emptive notification, remember?)
>and it's an excellent - if somewhat dated - game well worth being
>added to any PC gamer's library.
>
>Buy it now or claim it free in a few days:
>https://store.steampowered.com/app/40990/Mafia/
>
>(Also, they are developing a "Mafia 4"**. Grumps about dipping into
>the same well too many times aside, at least the various games of the
>franchise have been pretty independent of each other beyond sharing a
>common theme of open-world criminality).
>

>======================
>* https://twitter.com/2K/status/1564266634898018304
>** mentioned at the bottom of article on
>https://mafiagame.com/news/mafia-20th-anniversary-developer-interview/

*--

I have Mafia: The Definitive Edition, along with Mafia II: DE. I put
this one on my wishlist any way just to see if I will be reminded on
Sept 1st.

III is not getting good user reviews.

Thanks.

-pw

Re: Free Game: Mafia ... just not yet

<blgtgh5fq6p154ejqi077d9ad358m75lgk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8523&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#8523

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 22:22:09 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 02:22 UTC

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 21:44:16 -0600, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:

>I have Mafia: The Definitive Edition, along with Mafia II: DE. I put
>this one on my wishlist any way just to see if I will be reminded on
>Sept 1st.

>III is not getting good user reviews.

>Thanks.

I actually enjoyed "Mafia 3" more than the second game; it's got some
pretty good gameplay and I enjoyed its soundtrack. It's main failures
are that it is very repetitive, and it really has no definable
character. The missions are fun but not very memorable.

"Mafia II" was a lot more memorable in its setting, but it was poorly
designed. It had this vast open world but didn't really put any of it
to good use except as a giant map you had to slowly traverse to get to
your next mission. I also had a much harder time connecting with the
protagonists in II than I did with Tommy Angelo (in "Mafia 1") or with
Lincoln Clay (in "Mafia 3").

I wasn't too fond of "Mafia 1: Definitive Edition", though. It was
mostly a visual upgrade, but since the original still held up fairly
well, it felt unnecessary. Also, it's like there's a "uncanny valley"
with regards to gameplay too, at least for me. I can better accept
dated gameplay mechanics in games with dated visuals, but not in a
game with modern graphics. "Mafia: DE" plays like a game from 2002
with a 2020 sheen, and that incongruity makes for an unpleasant
experience. I'm honestly happier playing the original.

(Plus, you know, it's still got that whole thing with the missing the
original soundtrack)

Re: Free Game: Mafia ... just not yet

<sm0ilm8aj8i.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8526&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#8526

From: as...@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 16:20:07 +0300
sha1:fdflc2298173nJ4uR+6pTCqvuIo=
 by: Anssi Saari - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:20 UTC

PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> writes:

> III is not getting good user reviews.

Well, Mafia III was a kind of smallish GTA wannabe. I'm happy I got it
in a sale for not much, with all the DLCs too.

It didn't really do anything particularly well but was OK. I guess what
RPS sometimes refers to as solid 7/10 games. I haven't played the other
Mafia games, III isn't related as I understand it.

Re: Free Game: Mafia ... just not yet

<6g32hh9ao8e6mnf3clptspc8auogoqgtgf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8552&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#8552

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2022 13:57:17 -0600
 by: PW - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 19:57 UTC

I dunno. Should I buy Mafia III Definitive Edition for $10 on Steam?
Maybe I should. I do have Mafia DE and Mafia II DE and Classic.

The trilogy is now on sale for $24.

-pw

Re: Free Game: Mafia ... just not yet

<2n32hhdnqg95i5k5dr6emvbis7j6q2git9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8553&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#8553

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2022 14:00:53 -0600
 by: PW - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 20:00 UTC

Well, even for $10 for Mafia 3 Definitive Edition and the chance to
complete the collection (which is basically what I end up doing these
days just like ballcaps (which I will wear if it is raining hard
outside so my glasses don't get ruined) and graphic software), this
Steam user review made me want to save $10:

"Weakest of the series. Too many issues to count. Can't bring myself
to keep on playing. The long drives to repeat a failed task are just a
slog, I had hoped we left those in the past. And the repetition, my
god, the repetition. This could have been a good game if not for the
unnecessary filler. I'm all for side missions, but these are so
BORING, and all of them are the same. I was a fan of Mafia series and
had spared myself playing this one, but this year decided to try it.
Now I wish I hadn't. It is pretty bad."

Re: Free Game: Mafia ... just not yet

<slrntjl6jj.2q8.usenet@raspberrypi.geeknix.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8945&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#8945

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
From: use...@apple.geeknix135.net (Geeknix)
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 08:30:03 GMT
 by: Geeknix - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 08:30 UTC

On 2022-08-30, Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Mafia" will be made free-to-keep on Steam* if you claim it between
> Thur Sep 1 and Mon 4 September. This is the original game, not the
> sequels, but that's okay because (IMHO, YMMV, IOAH) that's the best
> one of the whole trilogy.
>
> Buy it now or claim it free in a few days:
> https://store.steampowered.com/app/40990/Mafia/

A game listed as free that I already have in my collection!

At last, finally, a game listed that I already own. Have I graduated to
next tier c.s.i.p.g.a

Now question is when did it enter my library and why haven't I played
it.

--
Don't be afraid of the deep...
--[ bbs.bottomlessabyss.net | https | telnet=2023 ]--